It's Na'vi podcast time!

Started by Kaltxì Palulukan!, February 10, 2010, 11:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kintìomum

That was a Na'vi version of ... errr... man, forgot it!
My mind is like a sieve... full of holes allowing tiny pieces to drop out...
I remember that it was meant to be 'upe lu ral sung to "row your boat" but don't ask for the intended meaning.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Kayrìlien

I heard this; tell me if I got it right:

'upe, 'upe, 'upe lu ral
Tawvrrtep ìnglìsì
Kawtu omum, kawtu omum,
Sawtute lu skxawng

Uh...so that'd be something like:

What, what, what is the meaning?
English sky-demons
No one knows, no one knows,
Sky-people are morons!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what you guys sang. Rather well, I might add.

Kayrìlien

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Kayrìlien on April 21, 2010, 09:35:08 AM
I heard this; tell me if I got it right:

'upe, 'upe, 'upe lu ral
Tawvrrtep ìnglìsì
Kawtu omum, kawtu omum,
Sawtute lu skxawng

Uh...so that'd be something like:

What, what, what is (the) meaning?
English sky-demons                (poetically: Sky-demon language/words)
No one knows, no one knows,
Sky-people are morons!          (poetically: Humans are unseeing (kame kehe!! Like babies!) idiots)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what you guys sang. Rather well, I might add.
Kayrìlien

That's pretty much it. It's a goffy little sing-along. The next one will be

Clan leader (just) gave me a spear. Thank you!

:)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsufätu Ayioangä

haha...I have to transcribe things said in Na'vi...

KP PLEASE tell me you have some sort of script of the songs and Na'vi words...I'd hate to get them wrong.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on April 21, 2010, 12:25:47 PM
haha...I have to transcribe things said in Na'vi...

KP PLEASE tell me you have some sort of script of the songs and Na'vi words...I'd hate to get them wrong.

Oh, the sons are easy:

The 'upe song is (roughly)

What what what is (the) meaning
(of) Sky-demon language/words?
No one knows, no one knows!
Sky-people are unseeing morons!

If there were other Na'vi words, please lemmeno.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

ExLibrisMortis

http://forum.learnnavi.org/your-projects-other-resources/avatar-radio-drama-*general-casting-call*/ 

New segment for the podcast needs your help. You being the listeners!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I might as well add a general casting call for cast and crew, as we are always looking for new talent: sound editors, web page designers, transcribers, convention representatives, voice actors, and gag writers.

PM me directly.

meow

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Well,

we were supposed to have episode #2 up by Friday, but now I have been handed the task of editing segments as well as promoting, writing, hosting, and so on. I am NOT a sound editor, so this will take a while--and will probably come out scrooed up.

My apologies in advance.  >:( >:( >:(

(I am Jack's rage)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on April 28, 2010, 09:51:05 PM
Well,

we were supposed to have episode #2 up by Friday, but now I have been handed the task of editing segments as well as promoting, writing, hosting, and so on. I am NOT a sound editor, so this will take a while--and will probably come out scrooed up.

My apologies in advance.  >:( >:( >:(

(I am Jack's rage)

Allow me to expand on this. No dusty will not be doing sound editing, I will be. I thought it would be easier for him if he did it but apparently that's not the case (sorry Dusty!). So, I will take care of the editing bit. I hope we can still get it out Friday but that's looking very slim. I suppose you can blame me since I seem to be the slow poke here but I blame crappy recordings myself :P. We've had about every problem imaginable, missing sections, people cutting out, horrible background noise that must be removed, peoples segments getting lost, peoples segments recording at the wrong time so things don't sync up right, and finally, people recording at varying volume levels so that I can't just slap on a "amplify by 3 dB" command but rather have to go through and manually edit every few seconds up or down so that it has an even volume. GAH! Not blaming any podcast people here directly btw, my own recording had plenty of issues too, just figured our listeners deserved a reason for our screw-ups.

Anyway, podcast coming soon, promise!

omängum fra'uti

You know Audacity can amplify to a set peak level rather than a set amount, right?  (Of course it only takes one loud pop to throw that off.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 28, 2010, 10:26:46 PM
You know Audacity can amplify to a set peak level rather than a set amount, right?  (Of course it only takes one loud pop to throw that off.)

Yep, and it's those loud pops messing me up. That actually takes the least time though cause it doesn't take me too much time to balance all the audio.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I just helped Peter learn how to kill the background noise in his audio by going through his audacity files and muting the gaps between times when he speaks.

Also--we recorded a quick LN dictionary showcase (was supposed to be a surprise) segment, but the pops and clicks every 1.5 seconds was unbearable. I went in and dug those out by hand. Well, 99.something % of them.

I have most of the podcast "assembled" in modules that could be put together. When I edit the lessons segment (minor editing) and Ian edits "everything" we should be almost complete.

PC's 3 and 4 will be special episodes!

Ftiafpi

Perhaps we should make required reading my blurb here. Those pops can easily be removed if people re-position their microphone.

tsamna

Im listening to it now and its good, maybe its just my computer and im not familiar with podcasts but my screen went all dark and i can only hear what they are saying and have no control over fast forwarding or something. But the content is great!!! Irayo everyone involved!!!!
Go climbing, its better for you than xbox.

kintìomum

My problem is my mic(s), as I found yesterday.
I have one with perfect background cancelling that's even filtering my breathing. Sadly: it's got a record level somewhere close to the basement floor so I need to push the volume to get anything out of the speakers...
The other one got a great gain... and records everything. Breathing, birds in the garden (with closed windows!), the road in front of the house... To cancel that I need to turn down the recording volume and am at the same point as with the first.

Well, the next recording will see me editing background noise, I presume.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: kintìomum on April 29, 2010, 11:25:06 PM
My problem is my mic(s), as I found yesterday.
I have one with perfect background cancelling that's even filtering my breathing. Sadly: it's got a record level somewhere close to the basement floor so I need to push the volume to get anything out of the speakers...
The other one got a great gain... and records everything. Breathing, birds in the garden (with closed windows!), the road in front of the house... To cancel that I need to turn down the recording volume and am at the same point as with the first.

Well, the next recording will see me editing background noise, I presume.

The problem with you manually editing out noise is that every time you speak we can hear the background and suddenly silence and then back to noise again. It is like a voice activated mic, where there is silence until you make a noise and suddenly everything that is happening around you comes in at once as well. Do you have a sock you can put over your mic? :-)

DJ Makto

I'm am still relatively new to Audacity but is there not a gating function that cuts sounds at certain range of frequencies?

I use a digital audio workstation (DAW) program called FL studio and there is a tool that allows you to cut frequencies above or below a specific threshold.

Heres a better definition and explanation of gating:

Quote from: Tranceaddict forumsGating is also an automated volume control, as is both compression and limiting. Gating is used when you have a recorded, dynamic sound, but you only need the loudest parts of it. F.ex., a vocal recording. Unless you record the vocals in a 100% silent room (which is pretty much unachievable), you WILL have background noise in your recording, and this is especially audible in the pauses between the words of the vocal take. This noise isn't something we need, so we can use a NOISE GATE to exclude it. Think of a gate as (yep, exactly) a gate! Our 2 friends «Vocal» and «B.G. Noise» comes along, minding their own business. «Vocal» passes through the gate easily, but when «B.G. Noise» tries to pass through, the gate closes before him.

I really have not had a chance to test FL studio's gating functions with vocals but its handy for creating certain sound effects in a track.

Again I am not a sound engineer, but applying a gating tool sounds like a good solution to the background noise problems in recordings?

Hopefully that helps.

Ftiafpi

The problem with gating is that you loose a lot of the dynamic quality of the voice. I have used/considered using it before but the problem this time is the speakers were picking up other peoples mics so it was all in vocal wavelengths and killed the audio quality when gated out.

DJ Makto

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 30, 2010, 12:27:48 AM
The problem with gating is that you loose a lot of the dynamic quality of the voice. I have used/considered using it before but the problem this time is the speakers were picking up other peoples mics so it was all in vocal wavelengths and killed the audio quality when gated out.

Ah fair point, gating does tend to flatten things out. Again I really don't have much experience to applying it to vocals. It just sounded like the idea tool for vocals.

Ah well back to the drawing board.  ;D

Kekerusey

Just listened to the first podcast ... I absolutely loved the article on with the guy playing the ISV scientist/astronaut and discussing the "ISV Venture Star" from a technical POV. I'd be interested to know where all the information was sourced from ... was it Cameron's doing? If so, I have to say he's put some thought into it.

When's the next one?

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)