Tribe (This forum is retired. All topics are read-only.) > Real-life Na'vi Tribe

Biodiversity and the Clan

(1/4) > >>

Seze Mune:
I was just reading about the genealogy data bank in Iceland.  Because it is an island with a fairly stable population, everyone there has a good chance of being related to any given prospective mate.  That's gotta be a problem for any tribe, especially one that's relatively isolated...

"...when you live in an isolated nation with a population roughly the size of Pittsburgh, accidentally lusting after a cousin is an all-too-real possibility. But a search engine called Íslendingabók (the Book of Icelanders) allows users to plug in their own name alongside that of a prospective mate, determining any familial overlap. The site claims to track 1,200 years of genealogical information about the island’s inhabitants. Anyone with an Icelandic ID number — that is, citizens and legal residents — is accounted for..."

Read more: Islanders avoid inbreeding through online database

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto):

--- Quote from: Seze Mune on April 26, 2012, 09:57:22 am ---I was just reading about the genealogy data bank in Iceland.  Because it is an island with a fairly stable population, everyone there has a good chance of being related to any given prospective mate.  That's gotta be a problem for any tribe, especially one that's relatively isolated...

"...when you live in an isolated nation with a population roughly the size of Pittsburgh, accidentally lusting after a cousin is an all-too-real possibility. But a search engine called Íslendingabók (the Book of Icelanders) allows users to plug in their own name alongside that of a prospective mate, determining any familial overlap. The site claims to track 1,200 years of genealogical information about the island’s inhabitants. Anyone with an Icelandic ID number — that is, citizens and legal residents — is accounted for..."

Read more: Islanders avoid inbreeding through online database

--- End quote ---

And that's less than 350K people for a genetic feeding pool population. Can you imagine the pickings for the Omatikaya? It is a certainty that there would be member trading from other clans to prevent this. Nature prevents inbreeding with migration of species. So Eywa would have those kinds of blocks in place too. Logically.

Tsmuktengan:
Interesting, irao ma Seze Mune for underlining this. I think it is necessary, like in any kind of group I have come across, that there is an ongoing process or new people coming, or at least, renewal in some way. And not just when it comes to mates, it is an excellent thing to see new faces.

Still gotta take in charge this website...will advance this now.

Seze Mune:
I imagine anyone moving to Iceland would not lack for willing partners.

Tsmuktengan:

--- Quote from: Seze Mune on April 26, 2012, 07:57:52 pm ---I imagine anyone moving to Iceland would not lack for willing partners.

--- End quote ---

Hum, like mostly anywhere else? I miss your point here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version