Devil's Advocate and All the Bad Stuff.

Started by Rolyu, February 16, 2010, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valuk

Hell, I would love to come out for a summer or atlest half a summer to help whom ever after I'm out on my own and no one would give a flying german word for strike, translated into English. lol. So I would love to help but I wouldn't live for more than a summer or half a summer with y'all.

I should brush up on my Survival...
Hell, I'm new don't murder me!
When I get fit, I'll be a warrior. Well, skinnier lets go with that.
Your Na'vi Man at Arms and Protector of the weak: Valuk.

ftia

One way to get started is to not reinvent the wheel.
Start gradually with the time and resource commitment.
Speak with an existing campground about a "Na'vi week" event.
Meet each other, talk in person while outdoors.
Maybe do this 2-3 times the first year in different parts of the country / world.
Build up to a more remote existing campsite for a "Na'vi month" event.
(BTW great to see so many Indiana people in this thread.)
Back on subject:
Read military survival guides.  One commenter seems to have some military exp.
Try out methods, rules, division of labor, survival skills at these events.
Main point - no land purchase, no permits, etc.  
This is a way to walk before you run.
With the largest grossing film ever, may not be hard to convince a campground to work with you on this.
You want to help them have more customers?  Advertising problem solved!
Watcha think?
thx

Rolyu

Whew!  I spent the weekend in Ocean Shores, now I'm back, with more overbearing advice!

A good way to test your resolve is to volunteer in a third world country. Someplace in Africa would be best.  Go be dirty, and build wells, and out houses, and schools.
If you enjoy the amount of work you did there, you may even enjoy surviving out in the tame forests of the pacific region.

By the way I love the conversations!  You guys are really thinking about all sorts of things.  It's good.  ^^ I have hope for you yet.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Rain on February 21, 2010, 08:32:17 PM
Hopefully we don't pour all of our time and effort into this and be left up a metaphorical moving aquifer of human waste in a Native American watercraft and lacking means of propulsion. I think that even if you're serious about this, you should at least have a fallback plan in case the absolute worst happens. If you're in college, stay there. If you're not, apply. In this day and age, it's best not only to have a Plan B and Plan C, but all the way to Plan V.

Toruk Txonä, you bring up a lot of good ideas. If anyone is dead serious, they should take a survival course. Logic tells me that with a little education and experience (okay maybe more than a little), the chances of this tribe actually surviving will go up.

[Massive Ego] My back up plan is to be a writer. I'm currently working on 3 books which are freaking amazing (I swear, normally my ego isn't so big but this is good stuff). I've always been a very creative person and I've found this is the only way I can really show that. [/Massive Ego]

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 22, 2010, 02:02:58 AM
My back up plan is to be a writer. I'm currently working on 3 books which are freaking amazing (I swear, normally my ego isn't so big but this is good stuff). I've always been a very creative person and I've found this is the only way I can really show that.

Authors FTW!! I am a bit of an author myself... I just have yet to actually get started on any of my ideas ^_^;; But when I do... Then I won't be procrastinating anymore XD

Gaia ayngahu

-Uriuujìn

'Itan Atxur

Lol. Staying or getting motivated is the hardest part. It's so easy to just "take a break" (that ends up lasting months) if you write a bad chapter. My Dad is the perfect example of this. He's started (and nearly finished) SO many books, but always quits just before the end.

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Rolyu on February 21, 2010, 10:22:21 PM
Whew!  I spent the weekend in Ocean Shores, now I'm back, with more overbearing advice!

A good way to test your resolve is to volunteer in a third world country. Someplace in Africa would be best.  Go be dirty, and build wells, and out houses, and schools.
If you enjoy the amount of work you did there, you may even enjoy surviving out in the tame forests of the pacific region.

By the way I love the conversations!  You guys are really thinking about all sorts of things.  It's good.  ^^ I have hope for you yet.

I was thinking about doing some volunteer work, seems like a good idea, you'd be able to help people and I think it would help some people to get a better perspective on the concept, I'm not saying anyone is stumbling around blind here just that you'd definitely be able to see if you could cut it in such harsh conditions, not that it's exactly the same thing. There seems to be alot of level-headed people here which is encouraging :D.
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

PerianArdocyl

Quote from: Rolyu on February 21, 2010, 10:22:21 PM
A good way to test your resolve is to volunteer in a third world country. Someplace in Africa would be best.  Go be dirty, and build wells, and out houses, and schools.

I wanted to volunteer with the Peace Corps., but someone with two (yes, not one, but two) neurological disorders is not likely to be accepted into that organization. And they would definitely not be sent to a third-world country, now that I think of it...

But you got me thinking about volunteer opportunities, now.  :P  Does it have to be another country? Working on trails pulling weeds and spreading dirt/gravel (as an example) can also be really hard work. We actually had to be taught how to properly use the shovels so as not to hurt ourselves.  :D  I say if you can keep something like that up for a few weeks (or especially a month), it'd also make a great test... especially since it's not consistent; you have to keep finding opportunities for yourself. And you'd be helping the environment, which I should think would be pretty relevant if you're planning to live in harmony with it.

Augh, now I'm all fired up... I wanna go find me some opportunities.  ;D

guest2859

Where I live, you just get arrested and you get the oppurtunity to involunteer. Though you'll be stuffed where the sun kills selling newspapers 6 hours straight.

...I could joing Teen CERT. But I could get killed if I'm called out.

PerianArdocyl

Is that legal? I thought you weren't supposed to make people volunteer for profit gain.

guest2859

Well, if it's the authorities doing it, and instead of pay just time off your sentence, then I think it's legal.

PerianArdocyl

Still, it kind of takes the 'community' out of 'community service'...

guest2859

Yeah, but it's just a way to make it inevitable.

RONIN

There is an eco-village in existence in Wales. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1056637/Lost-middle-class-tribes-secret-eco-village-Wales-spotted-aerial-photograph-taken-plane.html

It was set up back in 93. They did have some legal troubles at one point, but as it says in the article, "they can celebrate, thanks to the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority's 'sustainability' policy."

There's also a guy who lives in an eco-home near Dumfries, wherever that is. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/property/how-i-built-my-house-for-1634000-784278.html

Says he built it for £4,000 and it would've been cheaper if he cut the wood himself. The article even provides somewhat of a tutorial on how to build on of these straw houses.

PerianArdocyl

That's one awesome house.  :)  Little wonder not much is known about this sort of thing. No money in it!

And where the people start taking control of their lives, you know there's going to be trouble... but, maybe I'm just being paranoid.  :P

Txon Taronyu

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Fnua Atxkxe

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

'Itan Atxur

We should research more of these (both successful and failed) and open a new topic for them. We could learn quite a bit from others successes and failures. Maybe we should open separate topics for tribe research and village research.

;D ;D

-'Itan Atxur

Fnua Atxkxe

Excellent idea, could save us making a lot of mistakes later on

PerianArdocyl

Hmm, if I didn't think you guys already knew, I would have said something... we actually have quite a few of these in America. I looked into it because I might join one someday, but it's something like 50 or 100.