Devil's Advocate and All the Bad Stuff.

Started by Rolyu, February 16, 2010, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swokéyan

Yeynari i think you have some pretty great points!
Now this is a really great idea;
Quote from: Yeynari on March 29, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
Being dirty on the body is not that bad, it's the hair that gives me trouble. The quickest solution to fat dirty hair is actually the braids that Na'vi sport, they are very practical if you don't want to develop dreadlocks or wash your hair every second day (waste of soap and water, once per week is enough).
It would save us hours of washing ;D
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

Rolyu

Not to mention, you can't braid your hair like that by yourself.  I am sure that such extensive braids done by the Na'vi are great community and relationship building activities.  Kind of how many primates groom each other.

But yeah, the braids are genius.   :)  You guys all have really good points.

Jasiri

So many threads and so little time!

Condoms - nobody ever heard of "lambskin" condoms? They are made from the intestinal membrane of a lamb. I should think that, for example, deer would be just as good. Biodegradable, too.

They are effective as contraception, but ineffective in protecting against sexually transmitted diseases.

There's a whole new craft skill and role within the tribe - one that could turn into a fulltime job. :p

I've got a lot more to say on the whole sexual dynamics matter. It really cannot be one of those "oh, we'll work it out when we get there" things. I'll try to get back to it after class.

PS

Question: What do you call a woman who uses the rhythm method?
Answer: Mommy!

Swokéyan

Yeah i think im aware of that fact, but if its possible we should do that for eachother, the braids, but then we have to grow long hair first! :P

I think this whole tribe thing will work our perfectly in time...
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

Rolyu

Quote from: Jasiri on March 30, 2010, 11:11:58 AM

2.5 years success and counting.

I would be careful who you're making fun of.

Jasiri

Quote from: Rolyu on March 30, 2010, 11:30:21 AM
Quote from: Jasiri on March 30, 2010, 11:11:58 AM

2.5 years success and counting.

I would be careful who you're making fun of.

It was meant solely as a bit of levity, not as an insult, but point taken.

To each his/her own.

I do note that the rhythm method (FA) has an average failure rate of 12% to 25% on an annual basis according to plannedparenthood.org. Personally at this stage in my life, I don't like those odds.

My apologies for any offense given.

Swokéyan

Lurkin' the forums

Txon Taronyu

Anyways....

we could just only allow children in the eco village only

and if you get pregenent you have to go to the eco village simple solution
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Rain

I'm glad somebody brought up the subject of unplanned pregnancies, but wouldn't it also be okay to have a field-doctor in the eco-village who has a box of condoms for handing out? Just a random suggestion, unless you think it'd be more appropriate to make each member responsible for their own protection. Either way, you're making an effort to do something about it instead of ignoring it and then getting a nasty surprize later. Let's not have a repeat of the Mormon compund in Texas, eh?
Glad you're all discussing this in a mature fashion.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Nantxe'lan

Edit: Because i was a bit overeager this post turned out to be a bit too long and rude, therefore i put it in a spoiler-tag.

"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

'Itan Atxur

I didn't read the entire post, but much of what I've read has already been adressed. The male/female ratio has slowly improved as we've built a more solid foundation. Most women are more objective than men and not prone to act on a whim. If we get a REAL plan, if we can show that this can work, more women will show.

As for the idea, it's impossible to kill an idea. It's been created and even if the creators of the idea move on, new people will pick it up. This has already happened with this idea to an extent.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Another problem, I've been thinking about; what happens (if) when people get old?
You can't keep this sort of lifestyle up easily when you're fit and healthy and young, let alone if you're 80. What do we do?
I have no answers.

I hadn't seen this thread. Made me think twice, although I had already considered some of these issues and decided that it would be worth it. This is important, I think everyone should have a look!
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Predict

First off, I wouldn't worry about the male/female ratio. Hardly any of the profiles posted have become active members, of those who have it is a much more respectable balance: maybe 70:30. Also, don't worry, none of the 'warriors' have returned after more than a week.

Before I go any further I think we need to acknowledge that this is, essentially, an experiment. Everyone must be comfortable with that. We don't know if this will work and we can't predict what the outcome will be. Most of what  you have mentioned are potential social issues that are very difficult to manage ahead of time.

Furthermore, we won't be launching into this in one go. We won't be going to one place on day one and closing ourselves out from the world. Once we have a location there will be a lot of management: working out any financial backing, sorting out any citizenship issues. Then we will be making frequent trips to set up the eco-village, train ourselves, adapt to the environment, &c. That will be a very good point to recruit new members (I mean to say, if we were at that stage now would you not join?). It will be a long time before there is a large, permanent group established.

In response to your last question. It is our intention to create an entirely new culture. We cannot know if we will succeed but we will try.

Nantxe'lan

ok, this wasn't a good start at all.

Oe tsap'alute, ma smuk.

i already mentioned in my previous post that it would be a bit harsh. but in hindsight i think it was way too rude. so please accept my appoligies. it was unfair to compare the planning with a preperation for an adventure vacation or to question the attitute of this project.
i was a bit overeager to throw in my concerns. most likely because my own project died due to a lack of interest and the discovery of this real-life Na'vi tribe project was like slapping a "lifejacket for this situation" right through my face.
i know that this whole project cannot be completed at a moment's notice. not even if the planning is finished. i know that this might become based on trial and error. but i somehow forgot that in the heat of the moment while writing my concerns.
but nevertheless i think my mentioned issues - although not too urgent by nature - shouldn't be considered too late, since some of them might be important to some people if they will join/stay or not.
additionally some of these issues will interact with other topics, so they should be taken into account soon enough.
btw: i doulbesearched the tribe's subforums bot i couldn't find anything about those issues, so i just GUESS they haven't been discussed yet.

to name them:
- women to man ratio (apparently allready concerned with, but listet for the sake of completeness)
- how to proceed with members becoming disabled / children are born disabled
- how to proceed with the elders reaching a certain grade of need for care (Key'ìl Nekxetse also asked about it)
- how to proceed with the deceased
- how to avoid overpopulation
- how to keep the ecosystem we will "invade" in balance
- how to raise children without indoctrination and propaganda but keep them stuck to the tribe (the whole tribe in general and the not-eco-village-tripe in particular) at the same time
- how to avoid "weak blood"

and of course:
- other social issues. we will never be able do take every aspect into account, that's for sure. but it would be wise to think about social dynamics in advance and have at least a rough plan how to handle/avoid most issues, since this is the main pillar, this whole project is based on: a community with an appropriate dynamic.

about those issues interacting with other topics: the way to proceed with the deceased for example will depend on the location, et vice versa. plus it might be a "hot topic" for some people, which want to know in advance what happens to them after they've passed away.
and other topics will also interact with each other, so it should be assured that they do not colide.

of course chances are high that this project will never face those situations (not lasting long enough or breaking up after a period of time for example). but i think those topics should be taken care of before they occur or get in conflict with other decisions.

i better stop at this point before getting into the "wise ass loudmouth mood" again ;D
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

Tonbogiri

oel ngati kameie,

This is a great organised way of putting things. Much better than the endless text blocks which we were plagued with at the start (we had these from the "warriors" who joined at the start) - you have thought this through well.

You're right, most of these were never dicussed in full detail (i.e. never had threads of their own), and we only hinted on some. The main reason for this, as you rightly said, is the fact that we are not yet sure how long the tribe would last. It is of course our (and definitely my own) dream for it to run forever, but it would be counter-productive to use time and resources that could be better spent on our current location dilemnas.

I feel that once the location is set up (or at least narrowed down to several conceivable options), and we have a structured chronological plan for how things will work, then we can get started on "the future of the tribe". We cannot, however, shove these problems under the rug and they need to be addressed.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Esmond

We're more like primitive immigrants right now, looking for a better life.

First off we have to find a place suitable for us, then we shall address such issues. I agree with EyesOfAzure that we have to address these issues and I compliment him for bringing them up (some of which had never crossed my mind before). But Tonbogiri also has a good point in saying that we have to first settle our location dilemmas.

I'd just want to briefly reply to one of the issues brought up by EyesOfAzure "how to raise children without indoctrination and propaganda but keep them stuck to the tribe (the whole tribe in general and the not-eco-village-tripe in particular) at the same time".

We're not going to use propaganda or indoctrination. We're simply going to teach them. Just like how our parents teach us manners, teach us moral values. We're teaching them values but in a different context. I believe if we raised them in a way such that they love Nature and Nature plays a big role in their lives, we're doing the right thing. Whether they leave or not is simply their choice. I'm sure out of a group of children brought up this way, there'll only be one or two who'd want to leave such a way of life.

They might see modern industrial life as a worse path to choose. Maybe from a tribal child's viewpoint, a primitive life is a better life. You're seeing this from a civilized man viewpoint. =P

Help preserve Nature.

'Itan Atxur

We'll teach our children (if we even decide it's okay to have children, but that's a different discussion for a different day) morality and such in a more hands on way than modern society allows.  But I don't think we'll say "this is right and this is wrong". Our method for teaching should allow them to decide what's right. If we do this properly they will have taught them selves and perhaps even us.

Redpaintednavi

Good day to you all. I am new here but perhaps I would just like to come with an advice or two?

First, read all literature you can get you hand on about tribal people and tribal ways. And even better, if you can, get in contact with people who live, or have lived, in tribal societies. They can tell you a lot about how it is to really live in such societies, not only the practical issues, but evenly important the social issues, how to avoid conflicts, how to get along, how to share descisions and many things like that.
Also remember that in real tribal communities people had really deep bonds to each other, more deep than most people in our societies. Often the members of such societies were related in some or another way, they lived together all life, they saw each other be born, grow up, age and finally die.
Also they had a deep level of knowledge about the land, about plants, animals, climate, terrain and similar that noone in our modern society has. For example I once heard an anthropolgist say that he in the Amazon of Equador had met a people where the hunters could smell animals urine from 40 paces away and descide what sort of animal it was. These people could feel also the difference between plants that are so closely realated that even botanists from modern society confuse them.
If you have no tribal people to talk with, at least talk to old farmers and other people that also have lived close to the land their whole lives. They can give you soo many advice about things you have never thought about.

About chickens which was mentioed by the OP. If you shall have some animals, let it be chicken. They are easy to hold, the multiply fairly quick, they can eat many different things (insects, larvae, worms, seeds), they lay good eggs. The main problem is protection, but you could build cages out of reeds or similar, where you keep them in the night, and you can watch them in the day. Chicken is what probably saved the people of Easter island when they had depleeted most of its resources, and did not even had trees to make boats to get away from the island or going out fishing.

'Itan Atxur

Very good post ma eylan. I certainly intend to read up on as much as I can though meeting a real tribe or someone who was part of one would be very valueable.

I also like the idea of having chickens.

Esmond

If I ever get the chance to fly to Sarawak state, I can visit the natives there. Dunno when I can do that though.

Help preserve Nature.