Devil's Advocate and All the Bad Stuff.

Started by Rolyu, February 16, 2010, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txon Taronyu

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Rolyu

Txon Taronyu

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Fnua Atxkxe

I agree with Rolyu and also I find I spend most of my time these at the moment studying stuff that takes my intrest (Na'vi as an example) but living as a tribe would mean giving up the ability to expand my knowledge. Not saying i'm clever or trying to sound arrogrant just saying that I would miss access to easy internet especially.
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Txon Taronyu

we would have lots of books and we have the internet

Rolyu

If you lived outside as a primitive tribe you would not have internet.
Books however, are a beautiful thing.

@fnua:  Living with the tribe in a village like setting could also give you time free from modern distraction.  Time to observe the small details in the world around you.  You will hear more, see more, and smell more.  You will be relaxed.  You will feel more energetic.  Most days you won't even crave a cup of coffee.

Same goes for purely primitive tribal living, but you have less time to enjoy it in that case.

Fnua Atxkxe

I understand that we could have a lot of books but nowhere near the convenience of a permanent library, this could be offset with the balance of the internet but looking at the posts in the perm tribe area people seem to be going for one computer for special situations. Sharing one computer with 100+ people could be difficult

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Fnua Atxkxe

How many books we could realistically have depends on how much funding we could raise for a permanent tribe and they would be far back on the list of priorites, learning to survive would obviously take priority as well as basic living conditions.

Rolyu

hahaha yeah.  You'd never see it.  Some power hungry hypocrytical freak will figure out how to become in charg eof that computer, but then use it for his (or her I guess) own devious non tribal purpose and be a b**** about letting anyone touch it.

You should first get some books on survuval, and ones that teach you how to do things like the proper way to skin different kinds of animals (this is important.) using brains to tan hides, food preservation, hunting rules, and plant identifications for your area.

And I'm sure you can get people to donate books to you.

Txon Taronyu

Fnua Atxkxe

That's why I think an eco-village sounds more viable, I would jump at that, I think internet access is important (it brought us this community for example) even if not the first thing to be done I think we should have easy access. This would be counter-balanced by going completely tribal for 1 + months of the year. The community could still be organized around a simpler lifestyle though, I like this idea, their are a lot of unnecessary pressures of modern society that I would be glad to shrug off.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Txontaw on February 18, 2010, 02:51:06 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 18, 2010, 02:48:46 PM
Just something to talk about is all. The original idea is more appealing but the eco-villiage is more practical and more likely to happen.

And, we can tone it up and down how we please as to how much of a tribe community we are. And we could still hunt for a lot of our food.

This sounds to me like the way we should go about things. Over time, we'll learn what is reasonable and what isn't and we'll be able to modify the plan.

[edit] Anybody see the movie "The Village?" I'm not saying we change the plan THAT extreme, but something a little closer to that. (only a little closer ;D)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Coyote

The thing about a village is that we'd get more positive response, more sustainable response, and be able to maintain our presence. Telling people "let's go live in the trees" will draw out less than a handful of hardy mountan-forester types, but saying "let's go live in a eco-village" will get a lot more participants. It may not be as "fun" in some ways, but it can actually be sustained for years, if not generations.

This little experiment would sure be a tragic waste if it formed for a few years, then drifted apart because people got tired of living in a state of constant struggle.

Plus, there's something that comes with a small village or township: legitimacy. And not just legitimacy of ideas, but a certain legitimacy of influence. In a small township we'd have the political legitimacy to pass certain ideas into reality-- outlawing any non-hybrid vehicle, for example, unless it is a motorcycle or scooter. Mandating at least 30% of your power sources must be from renewables. Mandated composting and recycling. And so on.

Having representation in a state legislature is nothing to sneeze at-- I ran for County Clerk after I came back from Iraq and while I lost the election, I came close to unseating a popular local incumbet (this was in 2006). I learned a lot about the process, and I also met a woman running in an election in a neighboring county who was basing her whole platform on opposition to a coal plant being built in her district. She won, and eventually, the coal plant lost.

Things like that are part of the package that comes with having a bona fide prescence on the map.  
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Rolyu

You guys have good heads on your shoulders.

I wish I could say that in Na'vi.  It'd be so much cooler.

Txon Taronyu

Sigh all my hopes are going down the drain with this eco village

I know its more relistic but its just not the same

Letxuma Swizaw

Quote from: Txon Taronyu on February 18, 2010, 03:40:58 PM

You're right it isn't the same. It sounds like what summer camp is supposed to be, to me.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Txon Taronyu

Rolyu

You're the one who wants to watch movies when it rains.  :/

Txon Taronyu

Quote from: Rolyu on February 18, 2010, 03:44:49 PM

You're the one who wants to watch movies when it rains.  :/

No I don't it was just a thought I don't really

Just scratch that thought

Fnua Atxkxe

What Coyote said was my biggist fear about the project, not only would I hate to see the community fall apart (stops to listen to avatar track 10, the destruction of hometree) can you imagine going back to modern society and having to re-intigrate. Imagine trying to apply for a job and trying to expalin why you haven't had a job in 2 years. Also while perhaps not the same as a perm tribe the amount of time you could spend going tribal could be open. Those who want to could spend all theri time in the wild if they want. There's a good compromise.