3 (17.6%)
No
10 (58.8%)
If the member is experienced with horses
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: May 06, 2010, 05:58:23 PM

Fnua Atxkxe

Just a quick poll, let's get this done and dealt with as soon as we can without discussing it further needlessly.
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

tirea kaya'evengä

I definately, definately want horses :)
If only you could see me yesterday, who I used to be before the change
You'd see a broken heart, you'd see the battle scars...

Funny how words can't explain, how good it finally feels to break the chains
I'm not what I have done
I'm what I've overcome

Sayprìsä

"You have a gift, Jack.  You do.  You see people."

Velaar

Strongly depends in my opinion. First of all, the horse has to be able to deal with the climate/region. Secondly, we'd need a vet that can make regular checkups on it.

While horses may be a fun pass-time, the thing(s) they may be able to help with is agriculture (plowing) and/or communication with the eco-village. That's pretty much the only stuff I can think of.

But we need more info before we could even decide if horses would be able to survive there in the first place. And we need someone (a vet most preferably) that is able to take care of it, should something happen. I will also require additional medicines that we humans may not have use for. If we can't take care of it and only have it there for our own enjoyment, I don't really see how that's fair to the horse, should something happen, AND we need to make sure there's enough food for it around EVEN if we'd raise livestock as well.

So to sum it up: There's too little information on what kind of people we have and no information about what region we'll be in. Hence the issue regarding horses can't be resolved at this time.

Edit: ah yes, another thing they'd be useful for would be to get to remote places in-case of our food suplies nearby running low. But again, we need more region info first.

Levrrtepa Menari

Quote from: tirea kaya'evengä on May 06, 2010, 07:44:21 AM
I definately, definately want horses :)
Read the thread "Idea for tribe" before you get too comfy with the idea of having horses. Particularly pages 3-5.

Sayprìsä

We are NOT opening that argument again.  This is only a poll.  If you want to post your opinion, then fine, but please let's try to stay away from the "we should/should not have horses because........."
"You have a gift, Jack.  You do.  You see people."

tirea kaya'evengä

Well considering I've had riding lessons, read multiple horse care books, and had work experiance with working in stables, I don't see how it's fair to deny people the right to have a horse if they know how to look after it and are willing to take responsibility for it.

Plus the maìorty of horses can live in places where humans can live, and can even be really beneficial to a group of people. They can access areas that humans can't, they can be used for transport especially to the inacessable areas that humans/vehicles can't reach, they're more eco friendly than vehicles ANYWAY, they can help with plowing as well as was said, and if you have a nice selection of horses you can make money from them by breeding them and selling them at auction.

IMO there are more benefits than drawbacks.

I wasn't involved in the other debate, so that's ìust my opinion on why I think we should have horses to back up my vote! :) Also IMO you shouldn't really be entitled to tell people what pets they can or can't have. It's their choice really in the end.

I'm not what I have done
I'm what I've overcome

Ikranä mokri

QuoteWell considering I've had riding lessons, read multiple horse care books, and had work experiance with working in stables, I don't see how it's fair to deny people the right to have a horse if they know how to look after it and are willing to take responsibility for it.

so have I, my uncles owns a stud, and his next door neighbour is a racehorse trainer, I work with both. I have also studied with a farrier for a year. It is very very difficult to look after horses, no matter how many books you have read, What would you do if a horse got a septic foot, or colic, or lamenitis ?? those aren't things that can be easily treated and ultimately can lead to a horse dying

QuotePlus the maìorty of horses can live in places where humans can live, and can even be really beneficial to a group of people. They can access areas that humans can't, they can be used for transport especially to the inacessable areas that humans/vehicles can't reach, they're more eco friendly than vehicles ANYWAY, they can help with plowing as well as was said, and if you have a nice selection of horses you can make money from them by breeding them and selling them at auction.

horses are built genetically to survive on plains and in coniferous forest. they wouldn't be suited for living in a jungle, this leads onto my next point, the top soil in the jungle wouldn't be suitable for ploughing (this is assuming were in a jungle). Breeding horses is difficult and riddled with problems, there are literally hundreds of things that could wrong with it and then you end up losing what could be a perfectly good foal and mare.

you can try and say that i know nothing about horses but I have my uncle, my employer, my mum, my grandfather, my grandmother and most of my cousins on tap for information XD

im not trying to argue, im just trying to make you see sense about this issue (if you really want them how about this option, you leave them behind to start with until we have infrastructure etc then you can bring them)

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

tirea kaya'evengä

Quote from: Ikranä mokri on May 06, 2010, 10:27:26 AM
horses are built genetically to survive on plains and in coniferous forest. they wouldn't be suited for living in a jungle, this leads onto my next point, the top soil in the jungle wouldn't be suitable for ploughing (this is assuming were in a jungle). Breeding horses is difficult and riddled with problems, there are literally hundreds of things that could wrong with it and then you end up losing what could be a perfectly good foal and mare.

Well, this is a kind of void point as we wouldn't be living in a jungle. Most people would end up dead. If you think REALISTICALLY about the actual location it's probably going to BE in a flat, plan like place or a forest... And considering I'm living in both the tribe and the eco village I'm going to have a job anyway, which means if my horse got sick I could get it treated by a vet.

I'm not what I have done
I'm what I've overcome

Ikranä mokri

QuoteWell, this is a kind of void point as we wouldn't be living in a jungle. Most people would end up dead. If you think REALISTICALLY about the actual location it's probably going to BE in a flat, plan like place or a forest... And considering I'm living in both the tribe and the eco village I'm going to have a job anyway, which means if my horse got sick I could get it treated by a vet.

hey hey hey, mawey ma tsmuke. if you really wanna go into realistic, i could say look at 80 % of all my posts on the tribe thread, and there are a hell of a lot of them. and as a general question how u gonna live in both? and I don't think there are any vets (or trainee vets) that are in either the tribe or the eco-village.

tirea kaya'evengä

I am calm :) I just like emphasis. I don't really ever sound this angry in real life  :-X

I'm gonna spend the majority of my time in the village, but then travel to the tribe to live with them on occasion. And I'd employ a vet from outside, not one within the tribe/village

I'm not what I have done
I'm what I've overcome

Ikranä mokri

I do believe that the tribe wont be far from the village (about a mile) which is a very short run or like a 6 min walk, also i dont know how far we would be from civilisation (although i think close to a hospital was one of our things, but not too close( but i think we will take where ever is suitable be it close or reasonably far))

Col Quaritch

True hospital shouldnt be more than 30-40 min away there WILL I repeat WILL be at least one vehical in that villiage (kick me out if you wish then) It will be mine. Its just flat silly not to have on in the village for a ton of reason the most of which God forbid needing to rush someone to a true hospital need beyond the scope of anything we can treat. Horse I feel should be a yea or nay (no pun intended) meaning all the tribe use's them or non. As in tribe not the village all my horsing skills are they are tall, smell and I dont like them but fun to watch others ride. One of the few creatures I question why my Lord made like I said in my oppion to others most divine creature.

abi

Quote from: tirea kaya'evengä on May 06, 2010, 08:41:57 AM
Also IMO you shouldn't really be entitled to tell people what pets they can or can't have. It's their choice really in the end.

The whole "back to nature" aspect is kinda lost when you treat animals as property.

Txontaw

It depends on where we are (again), but think of it this way: Yes, a horse would be nice to have. You could ride it to get places that are further away faster.

But (big but), you have to realize that it's another mouth to feed (big mouth!), and we need all the food we can get. So I don't want the horses we bring to starve because we have a bad first winter or something.

But if you believe that having a horse will offset the increase in hunting that you need to do, then go ahead.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

guest2859

I think if you want a horse, you should know definitely how to ride one, and once you bring one into the tribe, you should plant extra food plants (Herbivores). And you could try to keep it controlled, because we don't want to die in a forest of death if the cause is something we thought was harmless.

Fnua Atxkxe

And the result is *trumpet sounds* horses will not be allowed in the tribe. Sorry to all who voted otherwise but this is the decision made by the signifigant majority. This means that we are simply not going to have them. If you really want to argue your case I suggest you make a new thread detailing exactly why you think they should be allowed (I suggest you have a very good argument) and if enough people are swung round we can make a new pole. As it stands it is currently a kehe on this. Locking this thread,

Gaia ngahu
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^