most but not others
2 (4.3%)
other
10 (21.3%)
only parts of everyone
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

'Itan Atxur

I liked that entire post until the "you have no idea" part. That was uncalled for.

And I understand what he means by "starting over". When a mutation happens it only happens to one animal in the species. So if the animal dies before achieving it's goal (reproducing for an instance) the process of evolution goes back to the stage it was last at.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Txontaw

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 31, 2010, 08:15:19 AM
I liked that entire post until the "you have no idea" part. That was uncalled for.

And I understand what he means by "starting over". When a mutation happens it only happens to one animal in the species. So if the animal dies before achieving it's goal (reproducing for an instance) the process of evolution goes back to the stage it was last at.

Precisely.

You can't have natural selection without evolution. An organism unfit to live doesn't get to pass on it's genes, ones that can do. This + time = evolution.

Actually, you easily can;

Let's say you have a bunch of white moths and a bunch of black moths in a forest. After, say a really long time, there are only black moths.

Evolution says: The white moths that were grayer survived, and passed their genes down to the next generation, until the white moths essentially became black.

Natural Selection (w/out evolution) says: The white moths were seen by predators, and eaten.

Tada! Natural selection without evolution. You should try it sometime!

You obviously have no idea how evolution or reproduction works. No parent gives birth to an offspring so different that it won't be able to reproduce with it's opposite sex (excluding sterile animals), that's the whole point of the word "species" (a group that can interbreed with one another).

Then you obviously have no idea what I meant. According to the primordial soup theory, lightning struck the soup and it created primitive life (or something along those lines). So if it was bacteria and/or virus like creatures slowly evolving into prehistoric animals, then how would you get a female and a male of each species? Single celled animals reproduce asexually. So how can they evolve into something that reproduces sexually?
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

'Itan Atxur

Relax people! Everybody has made good points but a few of us seem to be adding unnecessary jabs along the way.

Txontaw

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 31, 2010, 09:33:23 AM
Relax people! Everybody has made good points but a few of us seem to be adding unnecessary jabs along the way.

I know, I was just responding to his rudeness.

Can we please get back on topic now?

"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

'Itan Atxur

Gotcha! Somehow I managed to misinterpret that  :P

Esmond

Quote from: Txontaw on March 31, 2010, 09:26:38 AM
You obviously have no idea how evolution or reproduction works. No parent gives birth to an offspring so different that it won't be able to reproduce with it's opposite sex (excluding sterile animals), that's the whole point of the word "species" (a group that can interbreed with one another).

Then you obviously have no idea what I meant. According to the primordial soup theory, lightning struck the soup and it created primitive life (or something along those lines). So if it was bacteria and/or virus like creatures slowly evolving into prehistoric animals, then how would you get a female and a male of each species? Single celled animals reproduce asexually. So how can they evolve into something that reproduces sexually?

I don't see how your answer is relevant? He is saying that offsprings, regardless of sex are of the same species and therefore evolution applies to both sexes. Why do you talk about getting female and male? Are you saying that the female and male of the same species are in fact different species?

Help preserve Nature.

'Itan Atxur

This discussion of evolution is actually off topic.

Txontaw

Quote from: Esmond on March 31, 2010, 09:46:48 AM
Quote from: Txontaw on March 31, 2010, 09:26:38 AM

I don't see how your answer is relevant? He is saying that offsprings, regardless of sex are of the same species and therefore evolution applies to both sexes. Why do you talk about getting female and male? Are you saying that the female and male of the same species are in fact different species?
Quote from: Txontaw on March 31, 2010, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 31, 2010, 09:33:23 AM

I know, I was just responding to his rudeness.

Can we please get back on topic now?

Esmond

Alright, sorry carry on.

Help preserve Nature.

Txon Taronyu

Ok so I am basicaly a philosipher (wow can't spell today)

So I was just thinking what if all religions are true becauses god is so complex he has to lie to use about who he is so we can see even a small sliver of who he is like so small its almost not real and he uses this lie to try to foster virtue and self improvment

does this make sense (the reason I often say this is sometimes my ideas confuze others because of my frasing)
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

'Itan Atxur

I strive for self improvement w/o any God. I do see where your coming from, but to me that still doesn't make sense.

Perhaps if I were a believer, that may actually make a LOT of sense. Idk

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Again, it is impossible for all religions to be true because many religions directly contradict all other religions. Furthermore, since no one religious group comes close to representing the majority of the people on this planet, the majority of all humans must be wrong about their religious beliefs.

If all religions are partial lies invented by a god then no religion is completely true, right? The "completely" part is important because many religious people claim the teachings of their religion are infallible dogma.  It would also be a really weird situation as various religions can be very, very different from each other.

guest2859

Not a believer, but I understand. Easy way- the god can change shapes. So blah, so much for religion, I'll never get any of it.

Txontaw

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on March 31, 2010, 04:56:53 PM
Again, it is impossible for all religions to be true because many religions directly contradict all other religions. Furthermore, since no one religious group comes close to representing the majority of the people on this planet, the majority of all humans must be wrong about their religious beliefs.

If all religions are partial lies invented by a god then no religion is completely true, right? The "completely" part is important because many religious people claim the teachings of their religion are infallible dogma.  It would also be a really weird situation as various religions can be very, very different from each other.

I was just about to say that.

On a slightly different topic, it's kind of sad how Christians are hated on so much as a whole. It's probably cause they're the majority of the world's religion, so they get the most publicity. It annoys me when someone is of the attitude of; "You must believe in Jesus or you're going to burn in hell!" "But I don't believe in hell..." "Well then I'll force you to believe in hell and then you'll burn in it!"

Each to his own, for goodness sakes...

guest2859

Yeah, that really irritates me. But I tell them 'Tell me if it's true when you get back.'

Txontaw

Quote from: Toruk Txonä on March 31, 2010, 05:06:06 PM
Yeah, that really irritates me. But I tell them 'Tell me if it's true when you get back.'

What is that supposed to mean?

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

At least they can have a bbq cook-off LOL

guest2859

Quote from: Txontaw on March 31, 2010, 05:26:24 PM
Quote from: Toruk Txonä on March 31, 2010, 05:06:06 PM

What is that supposed to mean?

It's like saying "When you die and go to heaven, come back and tell me if it exists".

Txon Taronyu

I think that all religions are wrong but all also are right

so when they say they are the only way I think they are wrong but other parts might be right
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

guest2859

Maybe all parts are right, just misunderstood.