what do you think our parents will say? (Merged with "Telling our Parents")

Started by Tsufätu Ayioangä, March 17, 2010, 11:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Unilfwewyu on March 29, 2010, 07:38:59 PM
Not mean, just honest. I am tired of my parents holding me back and I will be taking the decision of my own, advancing in my own life.

Legaly they can't stop you doing what you want then anyhow, I think you should tell them before you go tribal, even if it's only like a month before (I think longer than this would be better) I think your parents deserve to know what you plan to do. Dissapearing with no word is a bit unfair on them (I think) My parents are also like this but I still wouldn't leave without saying anything.
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Rain

Quote from: fnua atxkxe on March 30, 2010, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: Unilfwewyu on March 29, 2010, 07:38:59 PM
Not mean, just honest. I am tired of my parents holding me back and I will be taking the decision of my own, advancing in my own life.

Legaly they can't stop you doing what you want then anyhow, I think you should tell them before you go tribal, even if it's only like a month before (I think longer than this would be better) I think your parents deserve to know what you plan to do. Dissapearing with no word is a bit unfair on them (I think) My parents are also like this but I still wouldn't leave without saying anything.

Agreed. Besides, I think in some states runaways can get into some trouble. I'd hate to see people get tossed into Juvie. That, and I'd hate to think of parents not knowing where their kids are and how that would break their hearts.
You guys are going to do whatever you want, but I just want to urge you all to break it gently and even give them a chance to say what they feel. One last thing: If you can, try to show them why you want to go and if possible find other people who can help support you. I'm all for a camp, but I couldn't stand just running off and never speaking to my folks again. *DISCLAIMER* I'm probably one of the oldest "kids" on this thread so maybe I'm thinking too much like a mom but then again I don't know everyone's home situation or what their parents are like. Take my comments with a grain of salt.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Careful with not telling your parents. It's always best to be open with everything, lying and sneaking  around will only lead to trouble for the group.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I agree.  If you tell them and they don't like it there's nothing they can do but at least you didn't lie

Unilfwewyu

Woah who said anything about lying, Im pretty sure I didn't. The fact is, that it's either that I go with the tribe idea and don't speak to them, or I am half way around the world and still don't get a chance to speak to them. In the end, what would be the difference? None.
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I was not referring to anyone in particular, I was giving a general statement.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

yeay i dont think i could lie to my parents about it (unless i tried)

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

what you all people here, think our parents will say, that we are going to do like this? to live out in the wild nature?
I wondering what my parents will say

will they be frightened, shocked, surprised, or think that it is a good idea or not good idea?

Tonbogiri

I think that by the time this tribe reaches its full potential, we will all be far past the point where we have to ask our parents' permission.
Of course, it would still be better to at least have their blessing. I personally feel that all tribe members need to at least make an attempt to make their families understand where we are going, and why. It may be difficult for them to understand at first, of course!

It is a very sensitive idea. What with the world focused on economic stability, it could be very easy for a person to misunderstand our intentions and think we are simple "blindly running away". It is not something that can be explained in a note left on the kitchen table one morning...rather it will take time. Once your family sees how comitted you are (if you really are), then they can only give you their support - and if not, then they cannot stop you.
Remember, in some ways the tribe will become a family to you. You will not be alone on this! But several things to consider:
Contact will be limited. While we aim for full communications facilites onsite, obviously some problems may occur, and so contact with friends and family will be even less than that of a person leaving home in the usual way.
You may be gone a while. I aim to stay with the tribe for as long as possible. This may not be the case for everyone - but the eventuality is that you may be spending years apart from your family.

Hmm, may seem rather bleak! All I can encourage is that you remain on good terms with your family from now until our grand beginning - it will make it easier when the time comes.

(but we won;t get anywhere unless we can find A LOCATION!!)

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Nìmwey

I'm twenty years old so I don't really have to tell them anything, but anyway.
My mother I stopped talking with ten months ago because of the way she treated me.

My dad - he doesn't know, but I told him recently that I want to go to the Canary islands (for other reasons than this, but still I want to check out Spain even if the final decision falls on something else before that), that I am learning spanish and that I will probably move either to Spain or to some Latin American country in some years, and he was quite shocked. "You never cease to surprise", he said. (On e-mail, since he lives an eight hour car ride from me.)

My brother and I have no contact, not because something happened, we are just both "socially incompetent" and have drifted apart.
My sister - she is four years older than me and even though we live very close to each other and see each other regularly, she doesn't really understand me nor does she take me seriously, it's just how she is. So telling her any of my plans now would do no good at all, she would just throw her criticism at me.

A funny thing that happened earlier this summer was when we were in a bus in town (extremely rare for me) and she nagged at me about getting a new cellphone, why do I have to buy the same model as my old one, etc. "In twenty years, are you still going to just want to have that cellphone?"
I said that in twenty years, I won't have a cellphone.
And gosh, did she get curious! She wouldn't stop asking me, but I just said that now is not the time, I can't tell you now, and so on. She even asked me "Will you be dead then?" "NO!"
Sheesh. I just didn't want to say what I (hopefully) will be doing in twenty years. :P

So, anyway, telling my dad later on that not only do I plan to move to Spain or Central/South America, but that I also plan to live off the lands far from civilisation, will probably shock him even more but he's not one to criticize, he's pretty "tame". :P

But I never had a real family life, I hope joining a group like this in real life will give me my true family.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I am going to stay in a long time, maybe the rest of my life, I wan't to do it so much, I want to live in the wild nature, forever :D

I am 16 years old now(17 in november), so I think I don't need permission from my parents.
I am soon going to tell my parents about this, when we getting close for a location, and then planning to get there, I will tell them that
What I am going to do, and that I am not alone, I don't know how many who wants this, if all on the forum want to do this, well, over 5.000 people wanna do this

Nìmwey

Not over 5000 people want to do this I'm afraid (or well, that's good, it would be hard to fit all of those into one tribe ::)), since only very few members on this forum are active in the Real-life Na'vi Tribe-category, and only a handful are committed. The main purpose of this forum is of course to Learn Na'vi and talk about Avatar, Project Tribal is just a subforum/category.

Äteya

My parents already know.
I told my dad and my mom found out when she saw me working on my tribe profile.
They both are fine with it. :)

'Itan Atxur

My parents already know. They think the idea is awesome but due to my history of not doing things the right way, they're concerned.

Also, regarding age, a while ago we decided the minimum age to join the tribe will be whatever age you legally come of age in the decided country.

Of course, you still have to consider the people you're "leaving behind". It's not like we'll never see them again. They can visit us and we can visit them. But when it comes to major life decisions like this it's good to at least discuss it with loved ones.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Äteya

If we go after Avatar 3 comes out(2015 right?) I'll be old enough.
I don't think I can do it full time. I have a cat and I don't want to give her to my parents or take her somewhere dangerous.   
And my parents want me to go to collage so I'd just help with start-up and come in the summer.   

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

about 3-4 years, in 2014 or 2015, I will be able to go, then I am finished with secondary school/high school, I am going too in the military, but I think that will maybe be about 2 years

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I think I am going to tell my parents this month, or around this year, mostly this year

guest2859

My mom used to practically stand behind me and get a glimpse of what I type, but she naturally thinks oe nìNa'vi plltxe when she sees the LN theme. But, she must still not know why I'm actually here. But, I'm going to wait until I'm in OKC until I tell her. My sister knows, and hopefully my mom will have the same reaction, "If you think you're making a difference, I won't do it with you, but I'll support you."

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I have told my parents about this project, and they are a little sceptical to this
but, they shouldn't worry about me

I have only told this to my foster mother and my foster father

Now my mom need to know about this, wonder how I can tell it to her
But, I really want to do this, I never give up this

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on June 11, 2012, 04:42:02 PM
I have told my parents about this project, and they are a little sceptical to this
but, they shouldn't worry about me

I have only told this to my foster mother and my foster father

Now my mom need to know about this, wonder how I can tell it to her
But, I really want to do this, I never give up this

I think they have good reasons to be sceptical... For many good reasons. This should encourage all of us to prepare this properly and thoughtfully. One main thing to understand is that it is not necessarily about leaving everything behind. The idea is to keep contact with people, friends, and family outside effectively, for both natural and security reasons for examples. This is one basic that should be reassuring. There are many more.

I am preparing a post on the new website to set our main aims to progress and think about, and as part of assembling our information into the website. I will try to finish t quickly.

... Yet, I would say it is entirely natural, normal and comforting that parents would be worrying about you with such a special and not yet really done project.