The Tribe

Started by Predict, August 21, 2010, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict

About another website: If we do create another website I think it would be best to do it in stages, to make the transition as smooth as possible start a web page with our mission statement and updates. Stick a link to it on the forum, get everyone comfortable then set up another forum, we don't want to loose anyone in the transition as even occasional members may be valuable one day. I also think it would be good to keep the tribe board open here, as a sort of recruitment office to check on occasionally.

What I was trying to say is that we shouldn't be concerned about doing two things at once. A mission statement can be done quickly (it only has to address the key points after all) and it's perfectly fine to work on location in parallel to government and all the social issues. After all, everyone has their better area to focus on so we should utilize everyone's abilities at once.

We really are wasting time discussing this. I have suggested we need a mission statement (to introduce new members and improve focus), weekly updates (to keep members informed), and now a long term plan (for obvious reasons). I have volunteered to keep the updates up to date, we are collaborating on the mission and plan. Does everyone agree, if so proceed!

Key'ìl Nekxetse

That sounds good. At this point it would be counterproductive to have a website, but at some point in the future we might want somewhere to put information about the project and what we have learned.

A quick attempt at a plan:
I think our current priorities are mission statement and goals and location. Related to this might be laws and planning permission.
Then we might want to decide on funding and building methods.
In the further future we might want to decide on government and smaller details like where to get food.
We must avoid being too rigid in our plans though, we could still discuss other matters alongside what is in the plan to stay friendly and productive.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Predict

Good plan so far. Laws and planning permission are both critical factors pertaining to the location.

Of course it's always good to have other thing happening, and don't forget the need to socialize and the benefits of the off-topic board.

Edit: Hey if it's good with everyone I can start the weekly updates now. I mean to include actual progress this week and an up-to-date summary of all our progress. (e.g. Location: nothing, Fund Raising: still nothing, Laws: still nothing, Off-Topic: thriving. Sorry couldn't resist ;).)

Edit no. 2: Unfortunately no one is on at 10:45 so I'm really filling up this post :). We need to make sure we address one key problem we have: As few of our members are constantly active (often dropping in and out) we find ourselves re-addressing old issues over again. For example:
An issue is raised, discussed and concluded and everyone active at that time remembers the conclusion and what led to it. The problem occurs as some of those members become inactive (usually temporarily) and other active again; the posts and conclusions are lost and someone not present in the first discussion raises the issue a second time, as there is no reference for what has been decided and no one is there to remember the first conclusion the issue is discussed and concluded a second time, wasting valuable resources. I am hoping we can combat this with the updates and progress log I have suggested but I still thought it worth mentioning in case anyone has any other suggestions, anyway, it's worth thinking about as that's how we seem to be operating at the moment. I think I'll call it a night... ;D

Maweya Hufwe

Might I, at the very least, suggest that the progress reports are a bit more in depth for the hot topics being discussed. For example, I'm having a very hard time figuring out where we are in determining locations because there are a lot of threads of varying lengths discussing it and within one thread people seem to suggest that we've made SOME decisions (desired climate, etc.) while in others those points are still being argued. Kinda leaves me going 'Huhh?' So perhaps an overview of discussions so far like: "We have this, this, and this settled, but we still need to work out this, this, and this. Research about this, this, and this needed for those willing to provide it."

So yes, I agree that keeping duplicate threads at bay would help very much.
"Well... What are you waiting for? Do it."

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Perhaps mention that we have some consensus on an issue but not a definite answer.
~$ life --help

Predict

Okay. I will endeavor to deliver as much as possible on the important topics.

I will prepare a large update for tomorrow night, hopefully I will be able to address all important areas of progress in the tribe and join up some of the research floating around. By the way, feel free to abuse me if I fail to deliver on time ;).

Key'ìl Nekxetse

~$ life --help

Maweya Hufwe

Just to go on a slightly off topic tangent here (since it's about helping getting things in order and organized). I was wondering just who to talk to about overhauling the boards. I have a layout planned out that would help keep things tidy, but no idea who to tell it to.  :-\

Predict

Say it here. We first need to get some more moderators to implement it though.

Maweya Hufwe

Alrighty, let me know what you guys think... *goes to retrieve handy dandy notebook*

Note: Bold - Subform
Italics - Threads that are stickied

Tribe Information
      Mission - Thread about our vision and a place to put detailed information of determined things (location, government, etc)
      Progress Reports and current aims
      Forum Rules - such as search topics before making new posts and staying on topic
      How to help - things a newbie can do to help. May also later include donation information, fundraisers and the like

Tribe Discussion
      SubForum Rules relevant to this particular subforum
      Threads of main topics (location, tech, health, etc) - these threads are where the bulk of these discussions should be had and each topic should have its own sticky.

Tribe Community
      subForum Rules
      Introductions
      Active? Leaving? - everything involving status should be in this ONE thread
      Frustrations - where to put disheartened feelings and concerns, negative feelings of the world or progress. (Feel cities are oppressive, say it here)
      Spirit - where to share insights and current positive activities to keep the spirit alive. ('I planted a tree today' or 'went camping!')
      Contact - email, facebook, myspace, etc.

Off-Topic

Tribe Archives - For threads that are reverent that we find worth locking and saving.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Two of the mods have requested not to be mods, and the third hasn't been active for over a month.
I've sent a message to Payoang, we'll have to wait and see.
Thank Eywa someone has a plan, I don't!

Seems good, but I think that single long running threads for topics will become too long to be able to find information easily.
What about a thread/subforum for things that have been done and a subforum for things that are active?
Remember that we can use the Revolutionists' wiki!
~$ life --help

Predict

I'm actually quite happy with the current layout. We definitely want all the information (mission, rules, updates) on the main page, not in a subforum, need to make it really obvious.

I'd suggest the following subforums, in addition to the main page: Research; Off-topic; Personal; Wiki.

Straightforward, you discuss most topics on the main page, research in research, chat in off topic, download in personal, and wiki is a link to the wiki. One thread for each research topic is too much as about half the tribe is research.

Edit: And we remove all the old stickies.

Maweya Hufwe

My objective was to try and limit the multiple, very related threads that pop up. Having one thread for one main topic helps keep all the areas in one spot, but if the topic is too broad, the topic can be split into a couple more threads focusing on other areas. And it's easy enough to shift the information subforum to be in the main.

I just hate that there is so many threads of one topic. Last night I started re-reading all threads relating to location and ended up having about ten tabs up, most of which having more than seven pages to them. It's even worse that stuff gets repeated several times within the thread.

Predict

The problem is that things have to run in parallel. It's only a problem when we don't move together, as long as they all follow the same plan we can run as many as we want.

We need to research immigration separately from diseases for example, the only problem is when we get multiple threads on say diseases, we reach two separate conclusions which are little better than no conclusions. Again, with moderators we can remove unnecessary doubling up. 

Esmond

Yes, I agree with with 'Eylan on deleting all the old stickies. Maybe we should clear off everything, sum up all the info we've got into more organized threads and from now on, all move together.

I'd suggest a subforum for Ideas and Suggestions. I find that it is often distracting if an new idea is brought up while an issue is still unresolved. What we can do if let the ideas form there and when we've resolved our current issue, we could look into them for our next discussion topic.

Help preserve Nature.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I think this might work best with multiple issues being discussed at the same time. Having a suggestions forum would make things less untidy, but it might not get used.
~$ life --help

Esmond

We could use them as incubators?

Help preserve Nature.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

It's difficult to get people (especially any new members) to post things in the right places. I suppose this is what moderators are for though.
~$ life --help

Key'ìl Nekxetse

~$ life --help

Key'ìl Nekxetse

~$ life --help