The Tribe: Ranks and positions.

Started by Na'vin Nos'feratxu, December 17, 2010, 09:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

I would like to discuss and refine the specifics of our Tribe, its ranks and positions.

I assume (and hope) that we are going to Adopt the Na'vi culture, and its Leadership ranks and positions.
Based on all the members we have, we should discuss who is best qualified to Lead us.
Dont treat this like its a touchy subject, we all should be confident in our choices and hold other higher than ourselves.

I am going to analyze the information given by all the current Na'vi tribe members, their skills and roles in the Tribe.
I also may contact you individually by PM to ask and discuss about your skills and qualities.
I am taking on this analysis myself, and everyone is encouraged to partake in it with me.
This will help us to get to know each other, and become comfortable with one another.

From what we know (Correct me if im forgetting something) this is the current system:
Olo'eyktan: Clan Leader
Tsahik: Spiritual representative
Something to discuss is if both Leader and Tsahik should be a mated pair or not in our Tribe.

How we determine the Olo'eyktan position will/should be based on knowledge and qualifications of Culture, weapons, hunting, location and other things. This will be refined and discussed as well.
The Tsahik should also be based on qualification and the ability to represent the Na'vi tribe, to potential outsiders.

Olo'eyktan and Tsahik are the most important positions. I see them as the Mother and Father of the Tribe.
The ones who can raise the people and teach them to be Na'vi.

I will analyze the information of all the current members, and I encourage all of you to help me with this analysis.
The more we know about one another, the better we will be. United so to speak.

This tribe is at somewhat of a stand still, and I believe this will help us move along.

I will update this thread with results and analysis. Please help is any way you can, as this will help us determine who our leaders should be, and potentially help us get going!

NotW#82

Tonbogiri

Hi there Na'vin,

One thing to note in our tribe is the extent to which we will mirror the Na'Vi - I am glad that you have brought this up. A leader and a spiritual leader will of course be necessary once we set up - but for now, I am not sure that they are needed. A spiritual leader for example would serve little purpose so long as we are communicating only through this forum, for example.

In the past, leaders have come and gone. Right at the start there was an elected leader, who promptly vanished. Then there was an allocation of roles for research (for me it was location and wilderness skills, thanks to my work in the UK with numerous survival courses and companies), but again most disappeared. Then, the two original moderators both went away, and the new moderators (the ones now in operation) were formed - before most of them promptly vanished too! Myself, Eana Nantang and Key'il are the last posting mods around (next to, of course, our weekly updater).

Our two most pressing concerns are at the moment: members (we need more!) and immigration control.
As for attracting new members, there is a plan of mine (a secret - look out for 11,000 new members soon!), but immigration is still a major issue. It is proving very hard to find any country that will allow the semi-permanent residence of around two-dozen people.

The tribe is at a standstill. There is no doubt about that. But I think that this was primarily caused by hitting a brick wall made of border control (we even had a plan for after we get location sorted - check out this thread: http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/the-dry-run-lets-get-going!/60/) and the fact that many new members are simply not posting anymore. I mean, why spend valuable time analysing the various qualities of our (very limited) numbers, when it could be better spent on the less fun, but equally important, logistical issues (such as finalizing that darned location).

Na'vin, you seem to be keen to start, and I hope that you will stay with us through this dark time - read through all of the sub-boards, maybe even check out the archives to see what past good ideas and mistakes have occurred. A leader? maybe. But I think that our active numbers are too few right now. I trust everyone on this forum already, and a glance through the introductory threads should tell you all you need to know about each person. Beware of "warriors" though, and this is a warning to those who consider themselves to be so - they will have little place in the tribe, as we are not aiming to fight with ANYONE to get our plan sorted.

If you have taken the time to read all the way through my excessively long post, then I would congratulate Na'vin on the first "original" post made on this board since the Christmas competition, and hope he continues his active steak. Everyone else, get a move on!

Keep up the dream,
Tonbogiri

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Key'ìl Nekxetse

We have no way to rely on people staying and numbers are low, so electing positions isn't really very useful. Sorry, thank you for offering to try, but I don't think it's worth it. :(
I'll see if I can find members who are active, give it a week. :-\
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Tsteu'itan

I will say, I do tend to read the forums, so I'm here, I just don't have much to say lately.

Still, what others have said:  It's been brought up before that there should be Olo'eyktan and Tsahik, but the tribe didn't want to follow them exactly as they were from what I saw, and at this point, there's not much need to vote for them.  Also, negating that the two be a "mated" couple might be too restrictive and at the same time cause a conflict of interests or an absolution of power, which is something you would want to avoid.

When it comes to electing tribal leaders, I really do think that it's something that should be decided once you get to know each other better in person.  You'll get to know the members better when you get to meet each other face to face then you ever will online.

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

:)

NotW#82

Uriuujìn

Definitely agree  ^__^

Gaia be with you

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn

Yayo

I just thought: if an Olo'eyktan were to be selected (obviously being the leader), would this cause tension within the tribe? If someone who also wanted to be this was not selected, would it trigger unwanted activites? I'm not suggesting that someone could be hurt...

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Uriuujìn

Well, that is true, I remember the first time we chose one ^_^; I think that the greater issue is, however, that they could leave and then we are left without the guide that we thought we were getting. That's what happened last time and there was a bit of resentment and lost confidence after that. However, that doesn't mean that an Olo'Eyktan should not be chosen. I think that someone who works a ton to get the Tribe going should be the Eyktan, personally. It should be earned, not decided.

Gaea be with us

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn

Yayo

It was just a possible hazard, not a negation.

Yayo on facebook

Nantxe'lan

in my oppinion the role of a possible olo'eyktan should not be "leadership" at all.
i think it would be better to leave the decisions to the whole tribe, while the olo'eyktan will be only responsible to put those decisions into practice. more like a petty foreman, if you know what i mean.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

Yayo

The who would the tribe refer to for guidance? A lawyer?

Yayo on facebook

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Guys, the Olo'Eyktan should be chosen by all members of the tribe.
If he is chosen by every member of the tribe, then that means that every member has full confidence in his/her ability to guide and lead us.

Earning the position through tribe activity would not be enough, however that would aid in a decision.
But like it was stated before, at this point it is rather early to determine a Leader.
If we did it would have its draw backs, as which has already been learned from previous Leaders.

Something to concern ourselves with is not Leadership (Olo'eyktan or the Spiritual leader) but rather who is qualified for specific functions of the tribe.
Hunters, farmers, builders, or anyone with a knowledge that will contribute to the tribe.
Anyone can call themselves a Hunter, proving it is what matters.

In whatever profession you have or wish to share with the tribe, please make an effort to prove your abilities, so that you may potentially teach others.
Otherwise you are a student of the tribe, and we all must learn from each other.
Remember its not about power and position, tis about the people.

NotW#82

Predict

If you check the news (Yeah, I am totally selling it whenever I can), we have pretty much settled on an egalitarian society as our ideal. The rationale being that as smaller scale societies such as ours emphasize inter-dependence and a good understanding on everyones strengths/weaknesses to function', rank is an unnecessary 'label'. If you live and depend on 50 or so people you're going to know who deals with problems well and their opinions will naturally carry greater weight.

We had a "How navi is too navi" thread a while ago, anyone able to dig it up? I had no luck, somehow it isn't one of the 5 pages worth of threads with navi in the title, I mean what's up with that?

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I agree.  I think at this stage we can't have a leader for multiple reasons.

I would like to throw in my two sense, however, I do not think they should remain a mated pair when we get that far.  Unlike the actual Na'vi, we don't have as many people and the odds of the two we chose as leaders having emotional feelings for the other is low.

Nìmwey

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on December 29, 2010, 01:07:22 PMWe had a "How navi is too navi" thread a while ago, anyone able to dig it up? I had no luck, somehow it isn't one of the 5 pages worth of threads with navi in the title, I mean what's up with that?
Looki here what I found... http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/how-much-navi/

Aaraventi

Okay. Where do I go to join the tribe?

Nìmwey

'Itan Atxur

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Äteya

I think now would be a good time to pick someone to financially represent us.
When we get the money(still hoping someone will win the lottery) it would be chaotic with different people talking to the seller.
This would not be forever, this person would just handle the immigration and buying the land and maybe get the tribe listed as a nonprofit group so we wouldn't have to pay taxes. 
Just an idea.   

Tonbogiri

Good to see you have a little business-savvy nature about you! Check out the Funding and budget page here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/funding-and-budget/ - read up on the thread, and post away! I am sure that your suggestions will be very helpful.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...