Recent posts

Spam / Re: Let's count to ZZZ,ZZZ!
Last post by trdrpxplds - Today at 03:54:26 PM
EBB and flow
Français (French) / Re: Que s'est il passé le 16 d...
Last post by JNewen91 - Today at 03:53:32 PM
Un résumer en Vidéo concernant ce Forum (car la flemme d'écrire XD)

bon visionnage ou d'écoute

Beginners / Re: [For Beginners] FAQ (Pleas...
Last post by Tirea Aean - Today at 02:15:32 PM
"I was going to kill them/it" reminds me a lot of a line from the first film said by Neytiri to Eytukan about Jake. What was done there in that line (*tspìmìyang) has been stricken from the canon. What we have now is something like this:

Oe kìman tspivang pot
I (recently)-intended to-kill them
(or any word order of this, such that kìman comes before tspivang in the sentence, with or without words in between)

or maybe

Oe karman tspivang pot
I was-intending to-kill them
(same deal with the flexible word order, karman needs somehow to come before tspivang)

in this situation,

- kan is a modal verb which means something like to intend to, aim to, have an objective or intention to
- <ìm> infix is a recent past tense. you could use <am> if you wanna talk about further back in time. "was going to" is handled by this kìman or karman or similar form of kan
- <arm> infix as Tìtstewan said has this sort of similar to "was <verb>ing" vibe. ongoing action in the past.
- tspivang (from tspang) is the kill part. it has <iv> infix inside because a modal verb such as kan was used.
- po is 3rd person singular animate gender-neutral. like singular they in English, it works on any person or pet animal etc. it has the -t ending because it's the thing to be killed (as opposed to the killer)
- tsat is a 3rd person singular inanimate. it technically means "that", but it functions a lot like "it" in many situations. it has a -t ending baked in so here it would also function as what's to be killed
Txantsan, good to know :)
I asked Paul about what to do with a noun ("my father himself told me") and he came up with this as the best option:

Quote from: Karyu PawlOeyä sempulìl sko sempul oeru poleng.

Note that it doesn't turn into a pronoun (i.e., it's not oeyä sempulìl sko po).

He will post about this in the future.
I was trying to translate "I was going to kill them/it" but I just couldn't find how to say "was".  :facepalm:
Beginners / Re: [For Beginners] FAQ (Pleas...
Last post by Tìtstewan - Today at 09:45:01 AM
Na'vi handles time stuff differently than we do in English. While in English (and some other languages) use verbs in the tense one want to say plus various auxiliary verbs like following example:

I was eating.

Na'vi doesn't have auxiliary verbs. I Na'vi that sentence is:

Oe yarmom

Here, the infix <arm> carry the information of "was" or "were" and past tense. (more precisely, past and imperfective aspect)

What sentence do you want to be translated? :)
Spam / Re: Can we get 90002 posts?
Last post by Toliman - Today at 09:11:34 AM
三万一千七百三十
Pictures of your Cat / Re: Pictures you like
Last post by Toliman - Today at 09:09:56 AM
Science / Re: Astronomy thread/Kìng a te...
Last post by Toliman - Today at 09:09:18 AM