Storm over Pandora

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, December 31, 2009, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainiac

Kelutral

Something very strange was going on inside Oscar. In his stomach, like a cramp, but it didn't...feel...bad.
Someone was helping him eat, others were treating his wounds.
Man, those hurt. Skin was peeling off, but somehow, and even the Na'vi were a bit surprised with this, his cellular regeneration was quite fast. They reckoned he'd be able to use his arms within a day or two.
He figured out the feeling. For the first time in his Avatar body, he was happy. Somehow, through the pain, his brain had finally accepted it's host, and he was his avatar body now. That didn't mean he didn't want his old body back. This one was wrecked as hell. He also noticed that if he slept now, he just slept. No going back to his original body, and no-one seemed to be able to tell him why.
He was quite sure he wouldn't like the news, with everyone looking worried like they did, but for the time being, he had no worries.
He'd start walking around a bit already, managing to get up on his own without using his arms. He didn't like being helped. Not because of some misguided sense of pride, but because people helping tended to grab his arms, and apologizing when he screamed, or simply pushing him up on his back, which simply made him fall over which hurt even more. So he made short walks, listened to the others talk. He didn't feel the need to amuse the others anymore, which might be a good thing right now, because of the whole situation, them being shot down and all.
He also started using his tail more. The Na'vi seemed perplexed when he picked things up with them. He couldn't use his arms right now, and sometimes, you have to pick stuff up to take a closer look.
Now that he thought of it, that's all he did. He hadn't said a word since he'd woken up. The others seemed to think he'd lost his mind somehow. That he was shell-shocked. He was woozy, yeah, but he had a theory on how to fix that. But all in due time.

Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Kelutral
0830 HRS

The Na'vi medics had been up all night, working to keep Jax alive by any means nessisary. It was hard work, and he had several major breaks that needed to be realighed and tied down. His left arm was shattered, part of his spine broken clean in two, his right leg broken in three diffrent parts, his right hand fractured. Add several broken ribs and it was apparent that Jax was in trouble.

It didn't suprise him that he faded in and out of conciousness, nightmares and visions breaking though to the serface and passing his lips. The words were mixed, which suprised the Na'vi Medics. Some of his tawtute inglisi, some Na'vi.

What surpised them most was when he woke up, coughing up a big red glob of blood and spitting it out  to be cleaned up by the Exopack before calmly asking them to get him his brother, his tsumkan, Alex.

Mo'at went out to clearning where the Dreamwalkers and two small Tawtutes lay to rest, and looked for the tawtute brother. "Alix, you have been summoned by your tsumkan." Mo'at said, pulling the startled mechanic along quickly.

Alex seemed to be unsure of what to expect, but followed the Tsahik closely as they went to see Jax.

When he walked into the room, Jax had opened his eyes fully, and was looking around cautiously. He was in pain, lot of pain, but he knew that it would be over soon. He just needed to talk to Alex first.

Alex smiled at him and said, "Hey bro, how ya feelin? Your looking better."

It looked like a sad smile to Jax, a lieing smile. But it was ok, Jax knew he was only trying his best not to breakdown. Jax looked over at Alex with a half-cocked grin. "You still spew bulls*** pretty badly Gears." Jax winced, and the Na'vi medics quickly restrained him as he coughs a few times, spitting out a small glob of blood. Jax watched it spiral a bit before hitting his mask, the low gravity causing it to turn into a perfect little circle just moments before it hit the mask. Funny how you notice that kind of stuff before you die.

"They said you called for me specifially." Alex was looking around a bit, as if trying his best not to break down infront of his close friend and ally, even if it was at that allies death bed. "Your here to tell me were gonna go back and get revenge soon, and you'll me movin, right?"

"..."Jax tried to look away from a moment, but it was pretty clear he was having a hard time moving his neck. He winced slighty, and one of the Na'vi healers double-checked the splint they had put on him. "I... I'm not sure what to tell you Gears." Jax muttered. "I don't think I'm going to be going back to Hell's Gate. Not this time."

Alex didn't seem to quite get what Jax had said, which annoyed Jax a bit. "So your gonna stay here and rest up right? We can wait, we got supplies comin from the Gate, even a small resistance in there..."

"Gears... stop spewing all that bulls*** before I give these blue boys and girls here a heart attack by getting up and slapping you so hard you forget the diffrence between a AMP suits main gearbox and rear hydralics are." Jax said, coughing again and hacking up another little glob of blood, which he spat out into the mask with a disgusted look on his face. The Exopack just drew it away as if nothing had happened.

Jax sat up a bit, just enough to give a full on glare at Alex, who looked shocked that Jax would talk to him like that. The effort and the sudden pain got to him though, and he had to lay back down, the Na'vi medics panicing for a moment before doublechecking their splints and straps to try to ensure that they didn't move, not that it would matter soon.

"I'm not going to make it back bro... they broke me up good. It's almost a mirical that I'm breathing... as painful as it is." Jax muttered. His card was going to be drawn. He wasn't going home, was never going to see Earth again, never going to get to sing a song or do a little jig simply because he had one to many drinks that night. It made him sad, in a way, but he knew that he was finally going to get to rest, which was good enough for him.

"..." Alex's eyes started to brim up with moisture as he spoke, "No way man, your not goin out like that. We gotta get these bastards back for this..."

Jax finally has enough. He cared for Alex like a brother, and he was glad to have met him, but the fact that we was trying to be this thick headed pissed him off. "DAMN IT ALEX, LISTEN TO ME!"Jax shouted, though it hurt for him to do so, his eyes wide with pain as the Na'vi healers tried to calm him down with soft mutterings of 'Mauway.'

Jax took a soft breath and said, "I'm going to die, bro... that's just how it is. Alex, I want you to take my watch... My Aviaitors Watch. It's served me well over the years and... I think you should have it. I'm not going to need it for much longer."

Alex sighs. "There are some thing I just cant do man. The watch...thats yours." Alex takes a sobering but stuttery breath. "And wherever you go, its goin too."

"No. Where I'm going it's not going to do me much good. This watch... I told you the story, right? About the time it saved my life?" Jax muttered, his voice fading for a moment as he begain to tire. He wanted to shake his head, but he just didn't have enough in him to try. He was tired... maybe there was something he could sit up against and just... take a break for a while.

Alex smiled and nodded, though it was a sad, broken smile. "Yeah, I remember." He said.

"If that dumbass had two more rounds we wouldn't be talking right now." Jax said with a soft smile at the memory. His smile fell away as he focused back in, a sudden burst of energy corsing back though his body. "Look, I've used up all my get-the-hell-out-of-dodge cards. It's time for me to go in and face the music. I've got a group of hard-as-hell soldiers who've been waiting to give me one hell of a noogy and are going to be wanting the whole story of my life, seeing as I f***ed up theirs." Jax said.

Jax held up his right arm, the mostly unbroken one, and pointed at the sky. "Up there, I'm not going to need the watch. Take it. I don't... care if you use it or not... just... take it." Jax started to mutter a bit more as his remaining strength begain to fade.

"Alright bro. I'm not gonna argue. You rest up, were gonna chat again soon."

Jax's vision blurred. He couldn't see Alex anymore, though he could hear him. It sounded as if he had started to cry.

"You aint allowed to die on me without a decent goodbye." Alex muttered.

"Yea..." Jax blinked a few more times, the pain and fautigue starting to show clearly on his face. Jax blinked again, as if he was trying to focus. "And Gears... Alex. Brother... tsumkan, whatever the na'vi say. Show that bastard ork what it means to be a real pilot for me..."

"Gladly man, your like family for me, the ta-smu-kan I never had" Alex said, sounding out the Na'vi word slowly.(Continued next post)

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Jax smiled slightly at the words. "Tsumkan... my brother, in all but... blood."

With that, and a slight smile on his face, a last glimmering hope though the pain and fautiuge, Jax went under, his eyes closing and his body seemingly shrinking down into the 'bed' the Na'vi Medics had set up for him, the Medics resuming their work. Mo'at walked over to the Na'vi medics, who were looking over Jax's body carefully, muttering between themselfs in Na'vi. She nodded gravely and turned to Alex. "Bring the others of this tawtute's family. The time has come for the choice to be made. We must act or he will not survive to... how do you tawtute say? See the morning light?"

"Alright....." Alex took a moment to compase himself, and dry his eyes, now red and swollen with the tears he refused to drop. He walked over to Jax's body and carefully removed the watch from Jax's right wrist. With that, Alex walked out of the room, holding the watch in his hand, out towards the others.

Mo'at followed Alex out, speaking quickly to the Na'vi Medics to be ready for whatever the tawtute's family decided to do. When they reached the others, Mo'at looked at Alex, as if she expected him to to tell the rest of the crew. Dr. Augustine stood up, looking over at Alex. "Is Jax ok? What did he say?"

Alex said nothing, holding onto the watch and thinking for a few moments. "We have to decide what to do...."

Mo'at nodded. "Your Jax is in great pain, and you must choose now. His body is starting to fail on him, and Eywa's call is close. He will not survive unless something is to be done."

Dr. Augustine closed her eyes and said, "We need to do whatever we can to help Jax. We can't just let him die! I hate to admit it, but that dumbass marine is starting to grow on me, and we could use a expert pilot. <<Mo'at, can you preform the... 'mind transfere' you mentioned before? Is that possible?>>"

Mo'at nodded again. "<<Yes, it is possible. A young warrior was recently struck down, one who had yet to become one of the People forever, to become a true warrior. His spirt has been taken by Eywa, but his body remains, and still lives, though not for long. Your Jax could be transfered to this body, if it is Eywa's will that he survives.>>"

Dr. Augstine quickly explained what Mo'at said in english and said, "I think that's probobly the best option. Jax... he probobly won't survive otherwise..."

-----
Results:
Jax gives his 'last words' to Alex, and gives his Aviatiors Watch to him.
Mo'at join the crew at their little campsite in hometree and tells them that it is time to chose.
Dr. Augustine votes for the mind transfere.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Nume fpi sänume

Hometree

Mo'at approached the group, looking towards Alex. "Alix, you have been summoned by your tsumkan." Alex paused for a moment, but that was too long for her, and she reached out and pulled him up.

Alex seemed to be unsure of what to expect, but followed the Tsahik closely as they went to see Jax.
Once inside the room, Alex saw his friend, and nearly lost it then and there. He couldn't, he wouldn't, for Jax's sake.
Alex forced a smile "Hey bro, how ya feelin? You're looking better."
Alex knew he was caught in the lie, but it made him feel better. Jax looked over at Alex with a half-cocked grin. "You still spew bulls*** pretty badly Gears." Jax winced, and the Na'vi medics quickly restrained him as he coughed a few times, spitting out a small glob of blood that streaked across his mask. Alex knew the situation wasn't good, on either end. Jax as dying, Alex was on the verge of tears.

"They said you called for me specifically." Alex looked at the ceiling, at the wall, at the Na'vi. Anything but Jax at this point. He regained enough composure to speak, "Your here to tell me were gonna go back and get revenge soon, and you'll me movin, right?"

"..." Jax tried to look away from a moment, but it was painfully clear to Alex he was having a hard time moving his neck. Na'vi healers double-checked the splint they had put on him. "I... I'm not sure what to tell you Gears." Jax muttered. "I don't think I'm going to be going back to Hell's Gate. Not this time."

Alex wasn't about to accept that from Jax, this guy was a fighter. "So your gonna stay here and rest up right? We can wait; we got supplies comin from the Gate, even a small resistance in there..." Jax cut Alex off, which startled him and sobered him a little at the same time

"Gears... stop spewing all that bulls*** before I give these blue boys and girls here a heart attack by getting up and slapping you so hard you forget the difference between a AMP suits main gearbox and rear hydraulics are." Jax said, coughing again and hacking up more blood. Fighter to the end.

Jax sat up a bit, just enough for Alex to know he was serious. His visible pain forced him back down though, and the Na'vi seemed to fret about it.

"I'm not going to make it back bro... they broke me up good. It's almost a mirical that I'm breathing... as painful as it is." Jax muttered. He knew it was true, and Alex's mind went blank. Alex's eyes started to brim up with moisture as he spoke, "No way man, you're not goin out like that. We gotta get these bastards back for this..." There was no more holding it together, not after the past twenty-four hours.

"DAMN IT ALEX, LISTEN TO ME!"Jax shouted, his eyes wide with pain as the Na'vi healers tried to calm him down with words Alex didn't understand.

Jax took a soft breath and said, "I'm going to die, bro... that's just how it is. Alex, I want you to take my watch... My Aviators watch. It's served me well over the years and... I think you should have it. I'm not going to need it for much longer."

Alex sighed, knowing that if he so much as blinked he would have water down his face. "There are some things I just can't do man. The watch...that's yours." Alex took a calming but stuttery breath. "And wherever you go, it's goin too."

"No. Where I'm going it's not going to do me much good. This watch... I told you the story, right? About the time it saved my life?" Jax muttered, his voice starting to trail at the end.
Alex smiled and nodded, though it was a sad, broken smile. "Yeah, I remember." Bringing back images of the night at the bar, joking around with the crew.

"If that dumbass had two more rounds we wouldn't be talking right now." He paused for a moment, as if trying to figure out what to say. "Look, I've used up all my get-the-hell-out-of-dodge cards. It's time for me to go in and face the music. I've got a group of hard-as-hell soldiers who've been waiting to give me one hell of a noogy and are going to be wanting the whole story of my life, seeing as I f***ed up theirs."

Jax held up his right arm, the mostly unbroken one, and pointed at the sky. "Up there, I'm not going to need the watch. Take it. I don't... care if you use it or not... just... take it." Jax started to mutter a bit more as his remaining strength began to fade.

"Alright bro. I'm not gonna argue. You rest up, were gonna chat again soon." He knew Jax couldn't see, and blinking his eyes, he felt the tears streak down his face. "You aint allowed to die on me without a decent goodbye." Alex muttered.

"Yea...And Gears... Alex. Brother... tsumkan, whatever the na'vi say. Show that bastard Ork what it means to be a real pilot for me..."

"Gladly man, you're like family for me, the ta-smu-kan I never had" Alex said, sounding out the Na'vi word slowly, trying to keep a steady voice.
Jax smiled slightly at the words. "Tsumkan... my brother, in all but... blood."

With that, and a last bit of joy across his face, Jax went under, his eyes closing and the Medics resuming their work. Mo'at walked over to the Na'vi medics, who were looking over Jax's body carefully, muttering between themselves in Na'vi. She nodded gravely and turned to Alex. "Bring the others of this tawtute's family. The time has come for the choice to be made. We must act or he will not survive to... how do you tawtute say? See the morning light?"

"Alright....." Alex took a moment to compose himself, and dry his eyes, now red and swollen with the tears he had dropped. He walked over to Jax's body and carefully removed the watch from Jax's right wrist. With that, Alex walked out of the room, holding the watch in his hand, out towards the others.

Mo'at followed Alex out, speaking quickly to the Na'vi Medics to be ready for whatever the tawtute's family decided to do. When they reached the others, Mo'at looked at Alex, as if she expected him to tell the rest of the crew. Dr. Augustine stood up, looking over at Alex. "Is Jax ok? What did he say?"

Alex said nothing, holding onto the watch and thinking for a few moments. "We have to decide what to do...." It took all his strength to get the words out and not break down into a heaping mess of tears.

Mo'at nodded. "Your Jax is in great pain, and you must choose now. His body is starting to fail on him, and Eywa's call is close. He will not survive unless something is to be done."

Dr. Augustine closed her eyes and said, "We need to do whatever we can to help Jax. We can't just let him die! I hate to admit it, but that dumbass marine is starting to grow on me, and we could use a expert pilot...
Their voices seemed far away to Alex. He knew they were still talking, but none of it registered. He had never truly lost someone that mattered. He clutched the watch, and was so numb he didn't notice that he had resumed his tears.

Ka'il

The forest was quiet, not like the base. In the base, the hubub and constant lifting off and touching down of Scorpions and other assorted aircraft made a veritable mixing pot of sound that made the base a constant wall of sound. But here, in the forest...it was quiet. Not silent, but quiet in that alive sort of way. Every now and again, through the AMP's internal speakers, Damien would hear the call of some animal or the cackle of another. He could hear the birds chirp and the critters scurry along the ground. It almost made him forget what he was doing.

The forest always enchanted him. Even if he was here to help knock the whole place down, he always found himself being enchanted by the life on Pandora. It wasn't like Earth, where life was all but destroyed. No. Here, it was thriving.

Returning his mind to the task at hand, Damien made his way to the Native's home. What was it called again? Home...Homebush? No...Homescrub? Nah, not that either. Huffing it off, Damien instead concentrated on the rhythmic pounding of the AMP's massive "feet" on the ground, feeling the vibrations travel through the metal "legs" and into the cockpit. He enjoyed the AMPs, mostly because the made things go "BOOM!". Which reminded him, he should probably put down his gun before getting to Hometree. THAT'S what it was called!

Lowering the massive gun, Damien settled in for a long walk, nodding his head in time with the beat of the AMP.
If the colors that bind,
Were to unwind,
Would I still be safe,
Within my mind?

Kiyoshi Tenshi

All this commotion was giving Mil'Ani a headache. He looked up at his brother. "Do you think that dreamwalker will survive the transfer?" Mil'Ani asked in Na'Vi. Mil'Ano nodded. "If there's anything we can give him credit for, it's a strong will," he answered.

"And if he doesn't?"

The older Na'Vi shrugged. "Oh well, we tried." Mil'Ani frowned. "Maybe...it's not too late to save him..." His brother seemed startled. "Don't tell me you're going to help a human, Ani." "I didn't say I was going to help him," Mil'Ani answered. "But that doesn't mean I can't help out the ones who are attempting to save him." He took a deep breath and walked toward Alex, Jax's apparent tsumukan, and pressed a bottle into his hands. He pointed to the bottle, and then to Jax, hoping Alex would understand. "It will give the dreamwalker enough strength to survive the transfer," he said to Alex. Then Mil'Ani took a few steps backward, rejoining his brother.

"I can't believe you helped the dreamwalkers, Ani," Mil'Ano muttered to his brother. "I didn't. I simply gave that human..." Here Mil'Ani indicated Alex, "...the power to either choose to help his brother, or not."
[move]

Coyote

Kelutral, 0900

That morning, after breakfast, things seemed so much more clear. A bit of patience was all it took; the medicine would reach them and somehow Jax would be alright. It wasn't wishful thinking on Arik's part; he was certain that such would be the truth. But then, Jax had been roused to consciousness for awhile, and Arik had the numb sensation of watching a man prepare for his own death.

Arik had seen such things before, of course, in Nigeria and similar places. In military service, things like that were met with bravado, false though it be, and assertions of all being well, even if the words were spoken only to ease the person... out.

To die like this, in a strange land, Arik thought, To have one's bones lay to rest in such foreign soil, under such circumstances as these...

He made his choice.

"Let's take the chance," Arik said. The others looked at him, including Mo'at, Nef'tys, Tiremokri, Eanataw, Ariel... on a nearby branch, watching curiously and conversing in low whispers, a handful of the warriors' ears swiveled forward.

"If Jax is healed," Arik said, indicting his shattered body, "if he's healed, and he spends the rest of his life... helpless, dependent on others... he wouldn't want that. There's living, and then there's the quality of one's life while living. Jax is the type that would want to be alive and whole, or... not at all."

"He will never leave this place," Mo'at said. "He will be part of Eywa'evengä forever."

Arik's expression turned inward, and for a moment he seemed lost in philosophical thought. "I think that is already a given, for all of us." He leaned back, against the great tree that stretched above them, sheltered them. "No matter what happens to me, for the rest of my life, I for one will always be a part of Eywa'evengä in some way..."  

Results:
Arik votes to try the mind-transfer ritual.

Hell's Gate
Office of the Director

Director Warren Childs sat back in the Hammerhead-leather chair and resisted the urge to put his feet up on the desk. No sense rubbing it in too much, he thought. Still, he couldn't help but smile.

For the most part, his plan had worked perfectly. With the support of his 'allies' on the RDA board of directors, and the backing of Senator Hardy and his cronies, Warren Childs had carved out a plan that had been carried out quickly and almost completely as scheduled. There is the matter of those jerkoffs in the drive pod room, he knew, but they are isolated and we can wait them out. No sense in creating panic among the staff.

He knew that the biggest mistake he'd made had been failing to identify Blake Goodson as a problem. Blake was young and already well-known and popular in the scientific community, but Childs had figured that Blake would either fall in line easily or simply seek to avoid trouble. His spur-of-the-moment leadership qualities had not been expected; if fact Childs never knew Blake had it in him. He seemed the typical science-nerd type, he figured.

"The people you requested have been... taken care of," Colonel Quaritch said, knocking on the door frame. The Marine noted that Director Selfridge's bow was back up on its trophy-mantle spot.
"Everyone bought the Na'vi attack story?" Childs asked.
"Near as we can tell," Quaritch said, frowning. "And so far, the, um... 'dangerous bio-chemical spill' in the drive pod room has been accepted as well."

"Good," Childs said, steepling his fingers before his chin as he thought about the current status of forces under his command.
"Just one thing I have to know," Col. Quaritch said, "How did you get the money to either out-bid, bribe, or blackmail so many of the Security forces?"

"Well, Colonel, a lot of that is politics."
"Politics?"
"Politics. Specifically, corporate and government politics. You know who Senator Hardy is, right?"

"William Powers Hardy?" the Colonel asked, "Of California?"
"The same," Childs said, "Willian Powers Hardy, also on the Senate Appropriations Committee, and Chair of the Corporate Appropriations Board. Works closely with certain elements of the RDA Board of Directors."

"He's also a favorite of the Conservative Party," Quaritch said.
"The good Senator has Presidential ambitions," Childs said, "And he's going to run on a platform of law and security. When he was lieutenant-governor of California, eco-terrorist attacks dropped 30%, and convictions doubled."

"He's credited with reclaiming the Sierra Nevada mountains from those Earth First militias," Quaritch said.

"And he wants to leverage that into a run at the White House," Childs said. "Once that's done, he has a gig lined up to be on the RDA Board of Directors as a Senior Vice-President. The Progressive Party doesn't have a chance. Who do they have? Korsen? She's the only one even close enough, with the name recognition, and she never recovered from that scandalous affair with her driver."

"All right," Col. Quaritch said, "So what does that have to do with Pandora?"

"Some of the RDA want to either ditch Sciences, or make it a quieter, less visible part of the operation. That Grace Augustine and her pack has made Pandora very popular back home, and while it makes money for the company's TV networks, it also means a lot of people are watching what happens here. Sciences are supposed to find new ways to exploit this rock, not make it a sympathy cause for ecological preservation. Every TV special about this place or its savages raises the issue in the public eye."

"So..." Quaritch put it together, "...between Senator Hardy and certain members of the RDA board, they want to shut down Augustine and the Science department."
"Leaving the RDA free to rip Pandora apart with no one watching, and Senator Hardy can claim that he shut down a propaganda arm of the eco-terrorist movement."

"An alliance between corporate and government interests," Col Quaritch summed up, "For both profits and power. And you're the man they chose to be point here on Pandora."

"I met Senator Hardy when he was still Chief Prosecuting Attorney of California," Childs said, "I was an undergrad then, at Stanford, and he was at an alumni meeting there. I was leaning towards Pharmacology at the time-- that was where the money was-- until Pandora was discovered to have Unobtanium. I knew I had to get here, somehow, and Geology was the best way to do it for me. I kept in touch with Hardy, even worked on his campaign one year. He put in good words for me with the Board of Trustees at Stanford. The RDA contributes to the endowment at Stanford, and in return they get to pick the graduates they want. All very incestuous."

"Academic politics," Quaritch grumbled.
"It's cutthroat," Childs said. "Academics, Corporate, and Government politics, I played them all like cheap fiddles. Now I am here, and Hardy and his RDA backers have given me all the money and power and backing I need to take control here on Pandora."

"So that's where the money came from," Quaritch said.
"Yup," Childs said, "And all that money originally came from right here," he said, with a wave of his hand towards the wall, and by implication, outside Hell's Gate. "Unobtanium."

"You keep them supplied in Unobtanium," Quaritch summed up, "And they stay rich, powerful, and keep you here. Pretty good arrangement."
"It is, Colonel," Childs said, "It is. That's why I wanted you aboard. I knew you'd see reason. I knew you'd back me-- and you helped me find all the guys on your team that could be trusted."

"You've got me and 75% of the Security guys, thereabouts," Quaritch said, "The rest we didn't bother with-- they have reasons to go home and probably wouldn't play ball. But most of them--"
"Most of them are here for the money," Childs said, "That's the problem with hiring mercenaries, you know; they wear their loyalty on their sleeves. Or rather, in their wallets. If money is what motivates them, then a bigger payroll is easier to engineer. But here's the thing, Colonel-- we have to keep this quiet. These Admins and Ops types, they don't care, they get paid the same. But some of these Sciences types, well, some of them are motivated by ideology. You can't buy ideology."

"We'll keep them in line," Quaritch said. "If we can keep things quiet for a couple months, and they see that no one gets hurt, they'll shut up. Go along to get along."
"I hope so, Colonel," Childs said, "Because that Blake Goodson has already managed to avoid notice, and look what a pain he turned out to be." He looked at Quaritch carefully. "Are you sure that waiting them out is the best solution?"

"We have to wait him out. They can't last forever in there," Quaritch said, "And if we go in with explosives, shooting --it'll raise too many questions. We'll keep the 'biohazard containment' signs up for a bit and let them starve. They'll give up, eventually."

"I hope so, Colonel, because I feel I am taking an awful risk in letting them continue in there. There are reports that some of the ones outside survived. The ones your man Flores was supposed to eliminate."
"If any of them survived, the Na'vi will make mincemeat out of them," Quaritch said, "And if the Na'vi don't, the jungle itself will take care of them for us."

"Still," Childs said, "I'd feel better of you ran some patrols. Made sure."
"I'll do it," Quaritch said, and got up to leave.
"Be thorough, Miles," Dr. Childs said, "I've quite a lot invested in this. And so do you."
"I'll take care of it."

The Colonel left. Warren Childs watched, quietly, glad to have the Colonel on his side. Sooner or later I'll have to decide if I'm going to tell him the rest of the plan, he thought. I'll need a good Security staff, and he's the best. He knows this place like no one else... He sat back, and waited. He'd been patient for twenty years, formulating his plan as it went, and he could wait and see how loyal Colonel Quaritch was.

Results:
Dr. Childs fashions himself as 'Director' Childs now.
Reveals most of his plan: RDA and paranoid political interests conspire to silence Science reporting from Pandora.
Company wants to rape Pandora without anyone raising a fuss; Politician wants to "silence ecoterrorist propaganda" in bid for Presidency.
Has not yet decided if he can trust Col. Quaritch with the rest of his plot...

Hell's Gate
Radio Conversation
Scrambled Frequency

"Jesus, Na'ama," Blake said, "That's dangerous! Can you trust this guy?"
"I think so," Na'ama said, "And it's not like we have a whole lot of choice. I can't go to Hometree; the other drive pod rooms are under surveillance, and yours is surrounded by Security."

The radio was silent for a bit. "Okay, look," Blake said, "We'll work with it. And you're right-- we don't have much choice. But if we could get you to a drive pod room, and you could access your Avatar, it would really help us keep this quiet."
"I don't know if we can keep this quiet," Na'ama said. "We're going to need allies. I can only do so much. And the more I do, the more likely they are to find me. If they're willing to kill the Director, I have no illusions about my chances."

Blake sighed, knowing she had a good point. "Look," he said, "If you manage to get ahold of someone who is a pilot, and willing to help out, you might have another shot at a drive pod. There's a remote site in the Hallelujah Mountains, but you need a helicopter to get there."

"There was that other pilot, the female, that flew science missions," Na'ama said, "Jax was going to be her replacement."
"Trudy Chacon?" Blake asked. He thought about it, scratching his chin. He hadn't shaved for days. "I know her from work fairly well, but we've never really talked, you know... politics, I guess you could say. She might be amenable, but... I'd be careful about approaching her."

"Blake, this'll be a one-shot thing," Na'ama said, "If we leave, I can get my Avatar out but I doubt anyone will welcome us back."
"Save it for Plan B," Blake said. "I want you safe. If it's a choice between you and Trudy being exiled to the remote camp, or staying here and getting killed, I'd rather see you at the remote camp."

"We'll load up some more supplies and be ready to bug out," Na'ama said. "But if possible, I'll try to stay here and help be your eyes and ears on the outside."
"And our set of hands," Blake said. "Be careful."

"I will..."

Results:
Na'ama will see if Trudy Chacon can be recruited.
If so, Na'ama and Trudy will be ready to run to the remote site if discovered.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Mako

Hell's Gate Bio-Lab
0830 Hours

No security had been back to the Bio-Lab in a while. That made Chris worried on a slight scale. He pushed it out of his mind though, as the lid on the link pod swung closed. He cleared his mind and readied himself for the transfer.

Hometree
0830 Hours

Chris opened his eyes, making sure not to make any sudden movements. He did not want to frighten their guards. He gently laid Alex, who had been asleep on his stomach, down on the ground. He made a slight groan and turned over. Chris looked around and evaluated his surroundings out of habit. Nothing much had changed. Some of the other drivers had still been asleep back in the Bio-Lab, and their Avatars remained where they had been the previous night. Chris stretched slowly, noting that the guards had noticed he was awake.

"Teng nari. 'Awuniltìranyutì lu txen."

Simple Na'vi. Chris had no trouble translating it. He stood, waiting on the others to awake, and lost himself to thought.

Hometree
0900 Hours

Everyone was awake by now. They were all sitting in various places when Arik broke the silence.

"Let's take the chance."

The others looked at him, including Mo'at, Nef'tys, Tiremokri, Eanataw, Ariel... on a nearby branch, watching curiously and conversing in low whispers, a handful of the warriors' ears swiveled forward.

"If Jax is healed," Arik said, indicting his shattered body, "if he's healed, and he spends the rest of his life... helpless, dependent on others... he wouldn't want that. There's living, and then there's the quality of one's life while living. Jax is the type that would want to be alive and whole, or... not at all."

"He will never leave this place," Mo'at said. "He will be part of Eywa'evengä forever."

Arik's expression turned inward, and for a moment he seemed lost in philosophical thought. "I think that is already a given, for all of us." He leaned back, against the great tree that stretched above them, sheltered them. "No matter what happens to me, for the rest of my life, I for one will always be a part of Eywa'evengä in some way..."

Everyone was quiet. Arik had been the first one to speak up about Jax's condition, and it came as somewhat of a shock.

Chris spoke up, "You've got my support. Jax is a brother, ma tsmukan, to all of us, and I think that it's what he would want," he paused for a moment, reflecting on what Arik had said, "and Arik is right. No matter how far away I go from here or what people say, I will always be a part of Eywa'evengä."

He listened as the others began to voice their thoughts.

----------

Kiyoshi Tenshi

Mil'Ani looked around uncertainly, wondering if he should try to start up a conversation with one of the dreamwalkers. He spotted an avatar with green eyes (Arik) and shrugged. Slowly, he walked over to the dreamwalker. "Kaltxì, tawtute. Ngal na'viti plltxe srak?" Mil'Ani hesitated, unsure of what to say next. "Um..."

------------

AMil'ano chuckled lightly. His brother was finally making an attempt to speak to a dreamwalker. He never thought he'd see the day. Mil'Ano smiled and made his way over to the brown-haired human (Chris). "Kaltxì, tsmukan. Ngaru lu fpom srak?"
[move]

Nume fpi sänume

Hometree
0900 Hrs

Alex had been listening in to the others voice their dicisions for Jax and what they should do. He understood their desire to see Jax continue life here, even if it wasn't in his original body. That was exactly Alex's issue with the transfer; it might be Jax's spirit or whatever in there still, but it would never really be Jax again. His thoughts drifted around as the others chatted, wondering about the situation back at the Gate, about what he had been hearing. It all seemed so surreal, and at any moment Alex was ready to wake up in his rack, wipe away this dream and get back to work in the Bay. He knew he wouldn't, he knew he was stuck here, at least for now. As the others finished up their conversation and started milling about, Alex rose to his feet and stretched, noticing the Na'vi eying him. One seemed curious, and the other seemed...Upset? They were chatting between each other, and the smaller one walked towards him, carrying a bottle with some kind of liquid in it. Alex wasn't sure what to do, but since no one was stopping the Na'vi from approaching him, he just stood there. He stopped just in front of Alex the two of them eying each other for a moment until the Na'vi reached out and pressed a bottle into his hands. He pointed to the bottle, and then to Jax. Alex got the basic idea, but he was still confused. He decided he would ask Grace about it when he got the chance, but for now she was nowhere to be found.

He nearly jumped off the edge of the tree when a large blue hand came to rest on his shoulder. He spun around to see Mo'at standing there, looking at him with a bit of a quizzical look.

"Uhhh... can I... help you?" Alex asked, not sure how much English she spoke.

"< < The bottle you were given, go and give it to your brother. It will give him strength. > >" And with that, she turned and walked into the area Jax was resting.

"Not much on the talkative side is she," Alex said to himself "Oh well, if this will help Jax, I'm all for it. Even if it does look like the crap we use to clean grease stains off the floor of the Bay..."

Alex walked in, seeing Jax again was tough, but this time he was here to try and help instead of standing by and watching. He opened the bottle, and with some help quickly moved his mask, opened Jax's mouth and poured the liquid in, hoping this would somehow help his friend. He quickly replaced Jax's mask, sealing it again and making sure he had a fresh flow of oxygen.

"< < Now he must rest more, and you must eat. Follow. > >" Mo'at said, pointing at Alex.

Alex hadn't really eaten anything in nearly two days. At this point, he was willing to take a gamble with Na'vi home cooking, and he followed her down the inside of the spiraling tree trunk.

Coyote

Kelutral
Approx. 0930 hrs.

Mil'Ani looked around uncertainly, wondering if he should try to start up a conversation with one of the dreamwalkers. He spotted a human with brown hair (Arik) and shrugged. Slowly, he walked over to the human. "Kaltxì, tawtute. Ngal na'viti plltxe srak?" Mil'Ani hesitated, unsure of what to say next. "Um..."

Mil'ano chuckled lightly. His brother was finally making an attempt to speak to a dreamwalker. He never thought he'd see the day. Mil'Ano smiled and made his way over to the blue-eyed human (Chris). "Kaltxì, tsmukan. Ngaru lu fpom srak?"

Arik looked up, surprised, and pleased. It was the first time an ordinary person from among the Omatikaya had simply walked up to talk to him-- or, really, to any of them, since that first meeting. God, was that just two weeks ago? he thought briefly.
""Kaltxì," he replied, hoping he got the accent right. "Ahh, Fì-ìri tsap'alute si oe, but... my ninavi is not very good. Inglisi?" To Mil'Ani, Arik's voice was different from many of the others Dreamwalkers; not deeper or more guttural, just pronounced from deeper in the throat.

Arik, for his part, was pleased-- to him, at least, the willingness to talk seemed like a vote of acceptance among the tribe, or at least a display of tolerance. He looked around for Aniuket or Nef'Tys, and wondered if perhaps they had arranged the meeting, but they were nowhere to be found at the moment. Arik smiled and held out his hand, instinctively greeting the way humans did. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he hoped that this wasn't some sort of test, and he thought he saw Eytukan, the clan Patrriarch, watching the meeting with his characteristic scowl. Of Mo'at there was no sign.

Well, hopefully I can make a good impression, he figured, Show them we're not going to boil the children or something...

Results:
Arik pleased by Mil'Ani's gesture, and tries to reciprocate in a manner that will be seen as friendly as well.

Tribal-Warrior Council

Tsu'Tey held a meeting with his best warriors, Sek'Mut among them. <<One of the Sawtute walking-shields has been spotted coming our way,>> he said. <<It behaves strangely. It is alone, it's weapon is carried on its back, and it has a box in it's hands. We must prepare to meet the thing.>>

<<We will need every warrior to destroy it,>> Sek'Mut growled.
<<It is not to be destroyed,>> Tsu'Tey said. <<It's behavior is unusual; and it coincides with the medicine that is expected to arrive for the Tawtute named Jax.>>
<<We will let it enter Hometree?>> one of the warriors said, amazed that such a thing would be considered.

<<We will let it approach, and see what it is about,>> Tsu'Tey said. He frowned-- evidently, this was not his decision, but one that had been given to him, and he was now enforcing. <<If it is declared an enemy, we will destroy it. But if it is to be a... guest of our guests, then we will let them try to heal Jax and when he is well, we will send them all away.>>

Results:
Damien's approach noted; he will be shadowed by Warriors all the way to Kelutral.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Kiyoshi Tenshi

Arik looked up, surprised, and pleased. It was the first time an ordinary person from among the Omatikaya had simply walked up to talk to him-- or, really, to any of them, since that first meeting. God, was that just two weeks ago? he thought briefly.
""Kaltxì," he replied, hoping he got the accent right. "Ahh, Fì-ìri tsap'alute si oe, but... my ninavi is not very good. Inglisi?" To Mil'Ani, Arik's voice was different from many of the others Dreamwalkers; not deeper or more guttural, just pronounced from deeper in the throat.

Arik, for his part, was pleased-- to him, at least, the willingness to talk seemed like a vote of acceptance among the tribe, or at least a display of tolerance. He looked around for Aniuket or Nef'Tys, and wondered if perhaps they had arranged the meeting, but they were nowhere to be found at the moment. Arik smiled and held out his hand, instinctively greeting the way humans did. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he hoped that this wasn't some sort of test, and he thought he saw Eytukan, the clan Patrriarch, watching the meeting with his characteristic scowl. Of Mo'at there was no sign.

Well, hopefully I can make a good impression, he figured, Show them we're not going to boil the children or something...

Mil'Ani gave Arik a small smile and shook his hand. "I'm sorry. This is my first time speaking to a dreamwalker, so I'm not exactly sure what to do..." He blushed a little. "My English must not be very good, either...Anyway, my name is Mil'ani. It's nice to meet you...Arik, was it?"
[move]

Tanhìyärina'

Tireamokri crouched on a branch with some other Na'vi, watching the Sawtute decide what to do about the very injured one.  From time to time, Nef'tys leaned over to translate what the Sawtute were saying.  The one who was hurt did not have an Uniltìrantokx.  He was the one who flew the airship.  A tiny corner of Tireamokri's mind wondered if he made Tsaheylu with the craft through earpieces too.  What a strange place to make Tsaheylu, she mused to herself.

She thought back to the blessing, Eywa's clear sign that the Uniltìranyu were chosen by Her.  The atokirina' had landed selectively on the Dreamwalkers and the Sawtute.  Just as she had seen them over the school, long ago, before she had gotten herself into this.  Never before had she thought that she would be walking among Uniltìranyu, much less Sawtute, talking with them, trying to learn their strange and odd-sounding language.

What was this, anyway? she wondered.  What have I gotten myself into?  These Uniltìranyu, these Sawtute, they fight in the skies with fire and noise and violence, such violence...  Tireamokri shivered.  She picked up the end of her braid and looked at the queue.  Ma Eywa, she thought, ke ftxey, Na'vi fu Uniltìranyu.  Slä aungia tìmìng, atokirina'. Oel Eywa-ti tìng mikyun, nìwotx krr.  Eywa, you do not choose, Na'vi or Dreamwalker.  But [you] gave a sign, the atokirina'.  I listen to Eywa, always.

She let her braid fall again, and looked back out over the Uniltìranyu and the Sawtute, watching, letting Nef'tys translate for her.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Ka'il

The rhythmic beating was putting Damien to sleep. He had to wake up. The supplies were important, or at least it seemed that way. The munchkin back in Hell's Gate was pretty adamant about them getting to the Hometree. So, shaking his head, Damien decided to take a look around while he walked. Damien wasn't much for color - he was usually dealing with red and orange and yellow anyway - but this planet, Pandora...it had it's perks. Back home, on Earth, everything was grey. Everything. Even the few trees that were still standing were monochromatic.

But not here, not Pandora. He'd never seen trees that had fourteen different colors on them. And the critters here were the same. It seemed every lizard and bug was made of at least three different shades of red or blue. Even to a demoman like Damien, it was beautiful.

Sighing, he continued walking, though he wished he could play some music right now. Maybe "Mambo Mambo". Or "TNT". That made him chuckle. Or maybe "Rocketman". Now THAT was a great song. Oh, how he missed his music...

He was getting close to Hometree now. He could see the massive structure looming in the distance. It was almost awe-inspiring, how massive the tree was. The only thing that big he'd seen was back on Earth, and the skyscrapers were everywhere. But Hometree...it was in the middle of smaller trees, so it stuck out. Damien concentrated back on getting to the tree. It was important.
If the colors that bind,
Were to unwind,
Would I still be safe,
Within my mind?

Coyote

Hell's Gate, Pandora
Central Cafeteria
1100 Hours

"I agree," Trudy Chacon said, "That something is very, very wrong. And Dr. Childs is out of control. But the question is, what can we really do about it?"
"Partially, I was wondering if it would be wise to get out of here," Na'ama said. "Blake says there's a remote Avatar drivepod site in the Hallelujah Mountains."

"Well, there is," Trudy said, looking around as they spoke quietly. They could not be heard over the din of lunch trays and crashing dishware in the dishwashing station, or the general buzz of conversation in the cafeteria, but it paid to be careful. "But going there is a bad idea. Think about it," she said, "If we're here, we're in danger, yeah... but, if we're here, we are in a position to help."

"Can't we help from the remote site?" Na'ama asked over the rim of her coffee mug.
"Only so much," Trudy said. "You can get your Avatar out, but that's about it. We still need someone here to drop food over, I'll need food, the other humans will need food. If we leave," she said, "We won't be able to come back. We'll burn our bridges and be refugees like them."

"But if we're caught in here--" Na'ama started to say, but she was cut off by Trudy.
"It's the chance we take."
"So," Na'ama said, "You said 'we', at least, so you're in?" 

"I am," Trudy said, "I don't like what's going on around here. Maybe I spent too much time with you Science guys, but I know enough to realize that what some of these Corporate types are doing to the locals is wrong. I'll help, but we need to do this smart. That means no running off doing crazy stuff or drawing attention to ourselves. So. Who else is on our side, besides the guys trapped in the drivepod lab?"

"That I know of?" Na'ama asked. "Um... you, me... there's a guy named Damien. Um, Damien Cole, I think."
"Cole?" Trudy asked. "Big guy? Kinda low on the social graces scale?"
"Yeah, I guess," Na'ama said, "He seemed cool enough to me."
Trudy smiled.
"What?"

"He's not a bad guy, and I don't know him so well, he just seemed kinda... not the type to really care so much." She paused, and seemed to wish she hadn't said that. "Like I said, I don't know him too well; maybe I read him wrong."
"Well, he seemed primarily concerned with going home," Na'ama said, "And the Childs's coup will interrupt that."

"Good point," Trudy said. "I suppose anyone with a goal that rivals Dr. Childs is on our side, in a way, even if they don't share the same motivations. Alright, look... you got that radio, I'll keep mine on the same frequency. You know how to use the frequency-hop function on that?"
"No," Na'ama admitted.
"It's easy. I'll show you and we have to get Blake and the others on the same sheet of music. But for now, we lay low, and plan for the worst. If we have to, we'll go to the remote site. I may be able to arrange some cargo and recon flights in the near future, but right now all non-essential flights are grounded. If I have the ability to go on a flight, I can drop supplies and we'll radio Jax or your brother to go pick 'em up. Maybe we can get your Avatar moved out to safety... we'll see."

"Thanks, Trudy," Na'ama said, relieved.
"Just lay low and stay out of trouble, okay?" Trudy said. "I gotta go. Flight briefings. It's probably the same crap as before, everything's grounded, but I have to be there."
"Take care, Trudy..."

Results:
Trudy Chacon will join and help Na'ama organize, but can't do much right now except make plans and wait for a time to move.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Txontaw

Kelutrel
Approx. 1100 Hours

Coming back from a long hunt, Txonunilyu dismounted her palulukan, Eanswizaw, and started walking back towards Kelutrel, weighed down from the animals she had hunted. When she reached the entrance, she saw that a lot had happened since she left. There were several sawtute and uniltìrantokx, and some of them seem to be injured. She watched one of the dreamwalkers, her eyes drawn to the hands. She involuntarily felt the stump of her finger, and envied them for having extras. She set down her kills, and walked up to Mo'at.

<<What are these sawtute and uniltìrantokx doing here?>> she asked.

<<They have been betrayed by their own. We are tending to them.>> Mo'at said. <<I see you have had a successful hunt. We shall eat well tonight.>>

<<irayo, Mo'at. Eywa was gracious to me when I was hunting.>> Txonunilyu said.

She went back over to her kills, and sat down near them, watching the sawtute and uniltìrantokx curiously.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Mako

Hometree
1100 Hours

"Kaltxì, tsmukan. Ngaru lu fpom srak?"

Chris turned to face the voice. A male Na'vi warrior had walked up behind him while he wasn't looking. It was uncanny how quiet on their feet the Na'vi were.

"Srane. Ulte ngal?"

He felt a little childish with the simple answer, but it would have to do for now.

"Nìltsan, irayo." He tilted his head to the side. "Would you prefer I spoke English? After all, most humans don't speak our language very well."

The sudden burst of english surprised Chris, but he chuckled nonetheless.

"Haha, I'm decently fluent in Na'vi but if you don't mind speaking English, then go for it. My name is Chris, what's yours?"

"My name is Mil'Ano," he said. "I am a hunter and a warrior of the Omatikaya. It is a pleasure to meet you, Chris." He smiled.

"The pleasure is mine. Oel ngati kameie, would it be in Na'vi? I've always heard that as a pleasurable meeting."

"Oel ngati kameie to you too, brother," Mil'Ano answered. "It means, 'I See you,' in Na'vi."

"Right."

Kiyoshi Tenshi

Mil'Ano grinned at Chris, ruffling his hair.

"So how are you enjoying your stay so far? Chaotic enough for you?"

He chuckled good-naturedly as he waited the other's response
[move]

Coyote

Kelutral, Approx 1100 hrs.(Tawtute Time-Reckoning)

<<Kaltxi, An-->> Nef'Tys started to say, but Aniuket quickly made a 'shushing' motion. She approached, giving Tireamokri a nod and smile of greeting. Tireamokri returned the silent greeting, and made room for Aniuket to join them. The artist of the Omaticaya was not as agile as usual; she had to favor her arm, which was wrapped in the healer's medicinals.

Aniuket sat on the other side of Tireamokri; while to Tireamokri's other side was Nef'Tys, more than happy to help translate the parts of Inglisi that Tireamokri did not understand. Nef'Tys did not care that Tireamokri was a stranger to the tribe; she was happy to accept her as she was willing to walk up to the Sawtute and Uniltirantokx and talk to them. Tireamokri had hung around the tribe, on the edges at first and then increasingly making friends, even though there were always those few that still regarded her with suspicion.

Now, Tireamokri looked at Aniuket, and then down at Arik, and cocked her head curiously. Aniuket is not going to talk to Arik? she indicated to where Arik was talking to the one known as Mil'Ani.

Aniuket smiled and leaned closer to whisper to Tireamokri's ear. <<Let him speak with others, meet others,>> she said.
<<He likes you.>> Tireamokri said, whispering back. From over Tireamokri's shoulder, Aniuket saw Nef'Tys smiling mischeviously, and nodding eager agreement. <<He seems to like Eywa'evengä, too.>>

Aniuket fidgeted. <<Does he?>> she blurted out. <<Does he like Eywa'evengä? Can he really know Eywa? Does he like us really, or are we just something new and interesting that entertains for awhile?>>

<<Have you seen him touch the ground?>> Nef'Tys asked. <<He likes it. I don't think they have ground back on their home.>>
Tireamokri glanced at Arik, and the other outsiders. Orange Trees? she wondered, fleetingly.
<<Of course they have ground,>> Aniuket said. <<Don't be silly.>>

They watched for awhile, as Arik expanded his repertoire of friends in the tribe.

Mil'Ani gave Arik a small smile and shook his hand. "I'm sorry. This is my first time speaking to a dreamwalker, so I'm not exactly sure what to do..." He blushed a little. "My English must not be very good, either...Anyway, my name is Mil'ani. It's nice to meet you...Arik, was it?"

"Arik, yes... um, srane... your Inglisi is actually very good." Better than Aniuket's he realized, and wondered if Mil'Ani had attended Grace's school more than Aniuket had. It made sense, considering Aniuket's older brother, Sek'mut, was so antagonistic towards the Sky People and everything they brought. Under the circumstances, would I feel so different? he asked himself truthfully. 

"Thank you," Mil'Ani said, "I... I have to ask; why did the other Sawtute attack you and leave you here?"

Arik shook his head. "I don't know," he replied, "I think something is happening back at Hell's Gate. Something... crazy."
"Hell's Gate? Scar-in-ground?" Mil'Ani asked. He'd seen the massive cut into the very skin of Eywa'evengä at the Sawtute tribe's home-- how could anyone live like that?
"Scar-in-ground," Arik said with a sigh. No better way to put it. "As to what it means, I do not know. Someone wants all the money, the..." he stumbled, searching for words, "...the value. From the ground, and they will kill anyone they think stands in their way."

"But what is the value in the ground?" Mil'Ani asked. "For years, Sawtute rip the ground, to take the rocks that make the mountains float? Are there no floating mountains where you come from?"
"There never were," Arik said, "But they... we... take from here and send to there, and now we make things float the way we like."

"Why didn't your Eywa provide this for you?" Mil'Ani asked.
"We don't have an Eywa," Arik said, and noticed that a bunch of other Na'vi were clustering around. "We never knew there could be such a thing. Many today still don't believe it, they think it is in your imagination," he said, pointing to the Na'vi.

"So, Sawtute take the rocks to build floating mountains?" Another Na'vi asked from among the nearby crowd.
"All sorts of floating things," Arik said. "Floating machines, mostly, and ships that take us places; bring us here."
"More Tawtute will come?" Mil'Ani asked, feeling unsettled by the prospect.

"Maybe," Arik said. "I wish it was not so, but... maybe."

"But you said, the Sky People from your clan tried to kill you, because you want to stop them?" Mil'Ani clarified.
"Yes," Arik said. "They want to take more; we want them to take less-- or stop taking at all. So they attack us."
"Floating mountains are so important to you?" a warrior in the crowd wanted to know. "Look at the wonders you have, you build..." --he waved into the air-- "Like su'shiri t'acto sa... your kunsip..."

"It is Sawtute nature to try to build more, use more, take more," Arik said. "To have more means to be successful."
"To have too much means to take from others," Mil'Ani said, "To spend time getting more, and not enjoying what is already there..?"

"I know," Arik said. "It makes no sense. We work and work to have more, and... we never allow ourselves to be happy, because we fear someone else may have more than we do."

The small crowd was silent.

"I can see why some of you would wish to come to Eywa'evengä," Mil'Ani said. "I would want to escape such an unhappy place."

"I'm sorry," a new voice cut in, a familiar voice. It was Grace Augustine's Avatar, walking next to Eytukan, with Mo'at trailing behind. A beautiful Na'vi girl followed nearby with an annoyed look on her face and a round earring embedded in her ear, which Arik thought was unusual. The chief warrior, Tsu'Tey, followed, glaring at the strangers. "But I am afraid we may not have escaped enough. One of Tsu'Tey's best warriors has seen an AMP suit approaching, so we need to get ready for trouble."

Many of the Na'vi exchanged confused looks, but confusion turned to alarm as their tribesmen who knew Inglisi translated for them.

"You brought this war-beast to us!" Tsu-Tey said, but Eytukan raised a hand.
"A single AMP suit?" Arik asked, curious. "No escorts?"
"That's what Sek'Mut said," Grace affirmed.

"Then something isn't right," Arik said. "They would not send a single AMP suit. Let me see it, up close, I need to know what this is all about."
<<No,>> Eytukan said, <<The Tawtute rider will see you, and know you hide among the Omatikaya. You will reveal your presence here to them.>>

"Grace, I'm sorry, but all I caught was 'Omatikaya' and 'Tawtute'," Arik said helplessly. She translated for him.
"Get me Na'vi clothes," Arik said, "Omatikaya clothes. I will blend in; they will not know me from another, and we will not get close enough for the rider to see."

Despite the tension, Grace stifled a surprisingly girlish giggle at the thought. "Arik, a man-thong? A mong?"
"Camouflage, Grace-my-dear, camouflage."

Tsu'Tey scowled, but Eytukan and Mo'at approved the idea, so there was little protest he could offer. 

Arik stood, and reached to shake Mil'Ani's hand. "Thank you, Mil'Ani," he said. "This ritual, called a handshake, is what Sawtute do when they meet. And they say, 'pleased to meet you'."
"Pleased to meet you," he repeated, "Not so unhappy."
"We have our moments. Rare, but we have them. Now let's go see who comes knocking. And I never thought I'd say this, but my kingdom for a banana-hammock."

The Na'vi moved, Grace bit her lip to keep from laughing, while above, Aniuket, Nef'Tys, and Tireamokri got ready to see what the approaching Tawtute weapon meant.

Results:
Arik and Mil'Ani have good discussion about Skypeople motives.
Damien Cole's approach in the supply-laden AMP suit draws alarm.
Upper echelons of tribal leadership worried that RDA will recognize the Tawtute refugees.
Arik will disguise himself as a Na'vi Omatikaya tribesmember to get a closer look at this lone AMP suit.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Txontaw

KELUTREL
APPROX 1100 HOURS

Txonunilyu listened in interest to the conversation. <<Who knew they came from such a horrible place?>>, she wondered. <<No wonder they seem to like it here much better.>>

Suddenly, a female dreamwalker walked up to the group, with Eytukan, Mo'at, and the young Na'vi Neytiri following them.

"I'm sorry," she said, "But I am afraid we may not have escaped enough. One of Tsu'Tey's best warriors has seen an AMP suit approaching, so we need to get ready for trouble."

Txonunilyu almost gasped. A sawtute? Coming here? What did they want here? These strange sawtute were unpredictable. You could never guess what they were going to do next. She remembered when they first came, many seasons ago. They seemed friendly, but dangerous, with their loud bows that shot many arrows at once. She thought they were interesting, but from a distance. Now they were living in her home.

She snapped herself back to the present.

"-have our moments. Rare, but we have them. Now let's go see who comes knocking. And I never thought I'd say this, but my kingdom for a banana-hammock."

Bananas? Yuck!, she thought. Then she steeped forward. "Oel hu ngati kä."

Then in ìnglìsì, "I will go with you."

She wanted to know more about this unìltìrantokx. He fascinated her.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch