Storm over Pandora- In Eywa's Shadow

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, February 06, 2010, 09:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanhìyärina'

By the time they reached the heart of Kelutral and Tireamokri's eyes fell on Eytukan, the Sengtsil woman realized that she had spent most of the walk trying to calm Nef'Tys, instead of working out exactly how to tell the olo'eyktan what she had only recently found out.  Almost unconsciously, she squeezed Nef'Tys' hand, and the younger Na'vi replied with an excited smile and a rapid, reassuring nod.

Tireamokri took a deep breath and approached Eytukan.  Mo'at was standing nearby, and Tireamokri's heart leaped.  She remembered the kindness that the Tsahìk had showed her, letting her participate in the transfer ritual to move Jax's mind into Hun'nar's body.  An odd situation, to be certain, but never had the Sengtsil woman felt more accepted here in the warm lands.  Kehe, tsleng lu, she thought.  Tafral Nef'tysä tsmukeyä tìtafxtu, tsakrr oel 'ameiefu nayawnetu.

Her feet had carried her all the way to Eytukan, who was now looking at her, curiosity lurking in his eyes.  Mo'at, too, was looking over.

"Ätxäle si tsnì livu oeru plltxe," she said, her voice shaking at first but then quickly steady.  Nef'Tys looked at her mentor with shining eyes.

"Pivlltxe," replied Eytukan.  Mo'at approached them, standing beside the olo'eyktan and regarding Tireamokri with interest.

"Ma Omatikaya," Tireamokri began after a deep breath. "Lu oeru aylì'u frapor.  <<You know me as Tireamokri. But 'Tireamokri' is a name given me by Eywa in my Uniltaron.  I have not lied, for Tireamokri is who I am.  But I am also called Tseylian, of the Sengtsil tribe, of the far north of Eywa'evengä.  I have just found out that the Sengtsil are in danger.  There were always Sawtute fingers in our lands, Sawtuteyä kawnga eltungawng in our minds, but instead of bringing us insight, they seek to tear us from our heritage as Na'vi.  They are tempting our olo'eyktan with promises of power, and until I left, the tribe had managed to keep him in check.  But now there is a pongo looking for me.  Ray'iun, the leader of our samsiyu, has come here to find me and bring me home.  I know not exactly what for, but if they have come this far to seek me, then it is for reasons of great concern.  So to home I must go.  I thank you for your hospitality.  I will never forget it, and I will tell stories of your kindness to my people.  But I must return home.>>"

"Nef'Tys, tìngay lu srak?" asked Mo'at in low, almost bemused tones.

"Srane," Nef'Tys confirmed, nodding eagerly.

<<You have met this pongo of scouts, and they have revealed that they seek the one they know as Tseylian, yes?>> the Tsahìk asked.

Nef'Tys found theq uesiton odd; a more detailed repeat of the same question asked a moment earlier. "Srane," she repeated.

<<So you know not if the news they bring is good or bad?>> Mo'at asked of Tireamokri/Tseylian, <<but merely assume such?  Are these scouts friendly to you, or...>> she gazed almost piercingly at Tseylian, <<...or is it possible that you would leave the sanctuary of Kelutral and walk into a Sawtute trap?>>

Tseylian took a half step backwards, feeling Mo'at's eyes cutting through her like an ikran through the air.  <<I believe this group to be friendly to me, for the one known as Ray'iun is... tsmukan to me.>>

Naf'Tys kept her face passive.  Mo'at, however, was no fool. Her eyes narrowed, sizing Tseylian up as she remembered what sorts of things she went through, as a young woman, with the men she felt close to.  She also noticed the resolve with which Nef'Tys stood by her mentor-- and the bracelets they shared.

<<If you trust this Ray'iun, then we trust your judgement in him,>> Mo'at said.  <<However, no one who shares a bond of sisterhood with an Omatikaya will be offered up easily.  Pick people you trust to go with you to meet Ray'iun, and together determine the next step.  If the Sawtute are corrupting your people, then this will be a concern for all of us.>>

<<It shall be done,>> Tseylian said, feeling her features relax.  She hadn't realized she was so nervous until the tension left her.

<<This is a time of many passages,>> Mo'at said.  <<Eywa lays out many, many different paths to go on for many people; Omatikaya and our guests. The Sawtute force us to choose, and it is not easy to see which paths are the best.>>

"Oe kayä," Tsu'Tey said, standing, "ulte tsäpe'a samsiyuti."

<<Tsu'Tey, your bravery is unquestioned,>> Mo'at said, <<but a party of warriors meeting warriors can be full of mistakes.  Tseylian should choose who will meet the Sengtsil with her.>>

Tireamokri looked around at those gathered, seeing Omatikaya faces as well as Uniltìranyu ones.  How could she ask these people to risk their lives for her?  Did Mo'at truly think her that worthy, to have pick of all the Omatikaya?  Had she left such a positive impression that the whole tribe would be open to her, to go with her and meet not only Ray'iun but the rest of her people as well? 

"Irayo, ma Tsu'Tey.  Rutxe za'u oehu," she replied with a smile to the tsamsiyu.

Then Tireamokri felt her hand being squeezed by something trembling.  She glanced over and saw Nef'Tys' eyes full of hope.  "Rutxe, Nef'Tys, oehu za'u srak?"

Nef'Tys' smile exploded onto her face.  "Srane, srane!" she cried, losing all pretense of formality. 

There were so many eyes on her.  How could she tell what was proper Sawtute custom?  Could she ask them to go?  Well, she had been charged with instructing Arik, so...

"Ma Arik, oehu za'u," she said, not making it a question this time.  "Ulte ma Aniuket, za'u rutxe."

What about Jax?  Would he want to come?  Would Txonunilyu?  Would Chris and Eanataw?  They are basically inseparable already, she thought with mild amusement.  Oscar and Tsamsiyu?  Twonyu?  Would Beyral come?  There were so many pairs of eyes fixed on her.  She took a deep breath.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Mako

Kelutral
1400 Hours

Chris was overjoyed. He had finally managed to bring down a Yerik after much frustration and several missed opportunities. They rigged up a sling of sorts and drug it behind them back to Kelutral. But despite his satisfaction, his stomach dropped when they walked back into the camp. A very large crowd had gathered in the central clearing of Kelutral.

"Is there some kind of meeting today?"

Eanataw shook her head. "Kehe. Oeri ke omum."

"Well then we better find out what is going on."

They stowed the Yerik and made their way through the crowd to find out what was going on.

--------

<<I believe this group to be friendly to me, for the one known as Ray'iun is... tsmukan to me.>>

<<If you trust this Ray'iun, then we trust your judgement in him, however, no one who shares a bond of sisterhood with an Omatikaya will be offered up easily.  Pick people you trust to go with you to meet Ray'iun, and together determine the next step.  If the Sawtute are corrupting your people, then this will be a concern for all of us.>>

<<It shall be done.>>

<<This is a time of many passages, Eywa lays out many, many different paths to go on for many people; Omatikaya and our guests. The Sawtute force us to choose, and it is not easy to see which paths are the best.>>

"Oe kayä, ulte tsäpe'a samsiyuti."

From what Chris had gathered, the Na'vi woman he had known as Tireamokri, now being called Tseylian, belonged to a tribe by the name of Sengtsil. They seemed to be in a bit of a bind because of sawtute influence and the Omatikaya were planning a diplomatic mission.

<<Tsu'Tey, your bravery is unquestioned, but a party of warriors meeting warriors can be full of mistakes.  Tseylian should choose who will meet the Sengtsil with her.>>

Tireamokri looked around at those gathered, seeing Omatikaya faces as well as Uniltìranyu ones.

"Irayo, ma Tsu'Tey. Rutxe za'u oehu."

Chris spotted the young Na'vi girl, Nef'Tys, grasp Tireamokri's hand. She glanced over and saw Nef'Tys' eyes full of hope.  "Rutxe, Nef'Tys, oehu za'u srak?"

"Srane, srane!"

"Ma Arik, oehu za'u. Ulte ma Aniuket, za'u rutxe."

Her eyes scanned the crowd of Na'vi, and Avatars. Though she spoke no words, her eyes rested upon each one she chose. Jax, Txonunilyu, Chris and Eanataw, Oscar, Tsamsiyu, Twonyu, and Beyral. He turned to Eanataw, her eyes reflecting the same fire in his. They had made up their minds.

--------

Ikranä mokri

Twonyu hadn't been back long. He and Hanu had been caught up in the group of people milling around the speaking area, they hadn't even had time to go and put away the bows.

Twonyu looked forward at the woman called Tireamokri, but it wasn't Tireamokri any more, it was Tseylian.I dont know her, but the way that Nef'Tys is holding her hand tightly, it was almost as if there were sisters

"Oe kayä," Tsu'Tey said, standing, "ulte tsäpe'a samsiyuti."

<<Tsu'Tey, your bravery is unquestioned,>> Mo'at said, <<but a party of warriors meeting warriors can be full of mistakes.  Tseylian should choose who will meet the Sengtsil with her.>>

Tireamokri looked around at those gathered, seeing Omatikaya faces as well as Uniltìranyu ones.  How could she ask these people to risk their lives for her?  Did Mo'at truly think her that worthy, to have pick of all the Omatikaya?  Had she left such a positive impression that the whole tribe would be open to her, to go with her and meet not only Ray'iun but the rest of her people as well?  

"Irayo, ma Tsu'Tey.  Rutxe za'u oehu," she replied with a smile to the tsamsiyu.

Then Tireamokri felt her hand being squeezed by something trembling.  She glanced over and saw Nef'Tys' eyes full of hope.  "Rutxe, Nef'Tys, oehu za'u srak?"

Nef'Tys' smile exploded onto her face.  "Srane, srane!" she cried, losing all pretense of formality.  

There were so many eyes on her.  How could she tell what was proper Sawtute custom?  Could she ask them to go?  Well, she had been charged with instructing Arik, so...

"Ma Arik, oehu za'u," she said, not making it a question this time.  "Ulte ma Aniuket, za'u rutxe."

Her eyes scanned the congregation resting on the faces of many of the uniltìranyu, and Na'Vi. She looked at Twonyu and he held her gaze until she moved on. Nothing needed to be said, it was obvious he thought to himself I am going to go with them, no matter my injuries , I am going.

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

El Jacko

Pandoran Rainforest
1500hrs (roughly)

"ugh..."

He winced slightly, feeling his left knee grate as he put his weight on it.

"ngh"

Every step...every few seconds...stabbing pain, then slight respite as he set down his other foot.

Click

Not seeing the raised root, he neglected to place his foot flat before dropping his full weight on it; as a result, it twisted around and sent him face-first into the damp loam. For a few seconds, he lay completely motionless, staring blankly through the glass of his exopack as his ragged breathing fogged the inside slightly.

"...ouch."

Shep pressed himself up off the ground with shaking arms, and rolled over slowly, to avoid causing any further damage. Gingerly, he rolled back his trouser leg, grimacing all the while. Once his knee was exposed, he grabbed a very long, thin leaf from a nearby shrub and wrapped it tightly around the joint. Hopefully, it'd brace it slightly and stop something like this happening again.

But it still hurt. A lot. Thinking back through the two years he'd been here, he remembered something an exited scientist had told him once. The man had said something about a small, purple-flowered shrub the natives used, had some chemical in the leaves akin to Novocaine...leaves which looked like the one he'd just tied round his knee. He could've sworn he felt it tingling slightly...but that could just be his pain-blurred mind.

Either way, he didn't move just yet. Checking the datapad, the GPS beacon for 26 still blinked about 3 miles away. Stowing this away, he laid his head back onto the mush of leaves and soil and stared up at the canopy, revelling in the cacophony of alien animals going about their daily business. Several whooping cries caught his attention, and a rustling far above connected the dots.

As if to say hello, one of his new 'friends' swung down a few branches, its golden eyes glittering with wonder at this strange, plant-clad alien. A swift whoop in the distance caught the attention of both species, and the Prolemuris offered a swift wave before hurtling away, chattering wildly.

Did he just...? Perhaps not everything here is as murderous as Quaritch thinks, he pondered, as his eyes followed the trail of disturbed leaves through the canopy. He was starting to like the company of this group of primates. They enjoyed watching the alien, and Shep relished how they would suddenly go quiet when anything toothy was nearby. He chuckled to himself slightly; he was starting to think of the blue fellows as friends. Maybe they even thought the same of him, albeit as more of a curiosity.

Heaving a sigh, he slowly lifted himself to his feet and tested the makeshift knee brace. It held strong, and the strange leaves had dulled the pain to an annoying ache. He leant heavily on the staff and began to limp on. Just a few more hours and he'd be able to finish what he started and get patched up.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

Tsamsiyu gave Oscar the basics and let him settle on the direhorse until he was used to the creature, and she to him. "Go slow," she cautioned, releasing the direhorse's lead. "Yeah, got it. Right." Oscar nodded, squeezing the direhorse's sides lightly. Okay, he thought, just a little walk, all right.. not a big deal. The direhorse shook its head and moved into a brisk walk. Tsamsiyu watched the progress with a mixture surprise and satisfaction.

Oscar circled the direhorse left, then right, gradually working up into a faster walk that was almost a trot. "Siltsan, ma Oscar. Good," Tsamsiyu called out, nodding her approval. "That is good for now," she said. "Yeah," Oscar replied. At least he knew he could do it, now. That was the important thing. Tsamsiyu took the direhorse's lead and held it steady as she broke the bond for Oscar. He heaved one leg over and slid down of the horse's back with a triumphant look. Tsamsiyu returned the horse to the paddock and they arrived back to Hometree just in time to see Tireamokri and many other Na'vi gather.

Tsamsiyu looked around, aware that something momentous was happening, and stayed silent.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Coyote

Kelutral

Arik and Aniuket looked at each other, and Arik looked at Jax. The man who now inhabited the body of young Hun'nar seemed dubious. He saw Arik looking at him, and made his way carefully to where the couple stood.

"What do you think?" he asked.
"I think we should," Arik said.
"You think we should stumble around in the forest we know very little about, to meet a possible hostile tribe, when we are not even trained on how to... be a Na'vi yet?" he asked.

"It's a good idea, really," Arik said. "Look... Alex has been back at Hell's Gate for two days now..." He noted Jax's look --anger? Hurt?--  "...and he has doubtlessly told Quaritch and Childs all about our little alliance here with the Omatikaya. If we stay here, it gives them an excuse to attack. And we know what'll happen."

"Slaughter," Jax admitted bitterly. "Even if Trudy can come and help with the Dragon, eventually we'll be overwhelmed."

"But," Arik said, "Quaritch's sniper took out Grace, right? The person who held us all together, right? So we play along. Grace is shot, the Omatikaya kicked us out. We hide and the tribe is safe."

Jax thought about it. "Hmm, yes," he said, thinking aloud, "And meanwhile, we show up in the north, where they don't expect us, and maybe... undo some damage they've caused up there."

"Plus the longer we hide in the jungle, they'll devote resources away from Kelutral, and away from searching for Trudy and the others."

"What of your learning?" Aniuket asked.
Arik looked around. "We can train on the way. We'll have to learn to hunt, to survive... and when we come back, we climb Iknimaya. We'll be more than ready by then."

"Sounds like a decent enough plan I suppose..." Jax said, glancing over his shoulder for a moment before continuing, "But we have some problems we need to solve here first."

Arik looked at Jax. "Like what?"

"Oscar. Look, I know he's one of the team, and he's a great guy but... I'm not totally convinced that we should bring him. Sure, he's getting better and his mind's in one place now, but his arms are not healing fast enough. We've all seen him use his arms and hands, but when they stop, they stop." Jax frowned. "I... I'm not sure we should bring him up north. Whatever that Na'vi medic's been doing to his arms, it's been working, if only just slightly, ever so slowly. We can't really do that on the road."

"Let's see..." Arik thought, wondering how to get around that sticky situation. "It makes sense that he might stay here. Hide if the RDA comes around. Staying here is risky for him; coming along is risky in different ways."

They fell silent as Oscar and Tsamsiyu Atsteu approached. Oscar had been trying to learn riding the Pa'li and had done well enough... but well enough to hold his own on a long trek? The moment of uncomfortable silence stretched before Arik broke it.

"Aniuket, how is your arm?" he asked.
"Almost ready," she said, "Still... soft?"
"Tender."
"Yes, still tender, but... heal fast," she said, pumping her arm up and down for emphasis.

"Alright," Arik said. He looked up toward Tseylian-- that'll take some getting used to-- and nodded. "We'll go, too!' he said, taking Aniuket's hand.

"Koul!" Nef'Tys said in her thick accent, grinning as wildly as ever.

From across the clearing, Sek'Mut immediately frowned, and turned to whisper to Tsu'Tey. He glanced over at Arik and Aniuket, and Aniuket self-consciously seperated her hand from Arik's.

""Oe kayä," Sek'Mut said after a few whispers were exchanged, "Instead of Tsu'Tey, who may be needed here if Sawtute come. I will be needed on trail to Sengtsil... for the Sawtute already among us."

"Surprise, surprise," Arik whispered.

"Those of us who do not go along," Jax said, "Maybe they can go back to Site 26 and help move it-- and secure it. Childs's goons will, sooner or later, have to go in there to deal with Trudy and Grace.... and everyone else."

Results:
Tentative plan forms for a pongo to head north to Sengtsil territory.
Arik, Aniuket, Nef'Tys, Jax, Sek'Mut, Txonunilyu, Chris and Eanataw, Twonyu...
OOC: Who else?

Those who do not go can stay with the Omatakaya, or help at the Remote Site.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Ikranä mokri

kelutral

twonyu watched as Arik, Aniuket and Jax all Spoke up and said that they were going. Twonyus mind raced with thouhts about whether Hanu would come too, but he looked stern and immovable.

<I Will come as well> Twonyu said loudly over the talking.
<Kehe twonyu> interjected Hanu < you are injured, you would be more of a burden than a blessing to those who are going>

<Hanu is right Twonyu,> Tsamsiyu interjected when the young Na'vi spoke his intentions. <You must rest, heal,> she told him firmly but gently, knowing that he wanted to prove himself. She turned to the others gathered. <I will go in his place if I can> she volunteered.

<Kehe, you can't stop me from going, karyu you will be going, why cant I come! you say you want to teach me and this would be a perfect opportunity>

He turned to Tireamokri <Tireamokri,Tseylian this is to your people, can I come?>

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

Tsamsiyu watched the proceedings impassively, aware that much was in motion. She did not know if she would be chosen to come with the group, or to stay with the others here at Hometree. She saw many others that she recognized: Jax, Twonyu and Arik. She wondered which of them had been picked. <Hanu is right Twonyu,> Tsamsiyu interjected when the young Na'vi spoke his intentions. <You must rest, heal,> she told him firmly but gently, knowing that he wanted to prove himself. She turned to the others gathered. <I will go in his place if I can> she volunteered.

Coyote

Remote Site
Hallelujah Mountains

"When they log out, tonight, we'll get everything hooked up," Blake said. Around him, heads nodded in agreement. Grace was still "grounded", her Avatar quite wounded, but stable. Ralph was going over maps with her, looking at other Remote Sites in the Hallelujah Mountains that they could take for their own purposes. Esme and Trudy had been working together on the Dragon, familiarizing themselves with it and talking about a training program for the civilians among them-- people would have to learn a few basic ways to help with the Dragon, which would include firing the various weapons stations on the massive gunship.

"How about the EFF operatives back at Hell's Gate?" Grace asked.
"They've continued to supply my Avatar with food and water, but Liz hasn't been able to get to a drive pod for a couple days now," Blake revealed. "I have her Avatar back on IVs, but word I've gotten from the operatives that drop off food, all link pods are under tight security."

"Makes sense," Ralph said, "But... damn it."
"Yeah. If we could at least spring our Avatars out of there..." Blake said.
"I don't want to let any of the Avatars die," Grace said, "Especially not like that, not wasting away... but Liz may have to accept that as the cost of her war against the RDA."

"She seems singularly attached to the notion of war at any costs," Blake frowned.
"Interesting that Julia doesn't seem to feel the same way," Grace said, stubbing out her cigarette. "Ah, damn, I'm going to have to take it easy on these. I only have a couple cartons left."
"That's going to be hell," Ralph muttered. Grace ignored him.

"I'd feel a lot better if we had more people here with us," Grace said.
"Yeah, well... apparently one of the survivors has been re-captured by the RDA, too," Blake said.

"What? Who?" Grace asked.
"I don't know the name, only that it was one of the humans," he said. "The EFF guys saw him being brought in-- filthy uniform, don't know if he was captured or surrendered, but he was taken by Security into a holding cell."

"Then we definitely need to move the base camp," Grace said. "If they know for a fact we're here..."
"That's why we're moving tonight, one way or another," Blake said, "And I don't care how tired they are."
"Then let's do that, and see who wants to volunteer to relocate up here and help us keep an eye on the place," Grace decided. "And learn to fight from the Dragon," Grace said, looking out the windows at the massive gunship and frowning.

Long term guerrilla war...

Results:
Folks at Remote Site 26 make plans.

Kelutral

"I think..." Ariel spoke up, hesitant. Many eyes turned to her. "I think... I am not a good choice for this mission," she admitted. "Long trails, fighting... this in not up my alley. I should either hide here, or go back to the Remote Site."

"And I hate to say it," Damien Cole spoke up from his breather mask, "But I should probably hide up in the Mountains as well."

"What?" Arik asked, "Your AMP suit is--"
"A big damn target, is what it is," Cole said. "And to be honest, I can't guarantee that there was only one tracking device in it-- or that I can fix it if it goes down, I mean... in a big way. Our only mechanic..." he trailed off. Arik sighed, and didn't look over at Jax, who he could sense tension from.

"Perhaps I should as well," Oscar admitted. "I can hide here or go to the Mountains... but on the trip north I don't think I'd be too much help. Maybe the folks there can help me out.. you know."

Arik looked over at Tsamsiyu Atsteu; Oscar was basically "her" patient these days, but they'd probably need a healer on the trip north, and if Tsamsiyu Atsteu  volunteered, that meant Oscar would need help. Mil'Ani could help, but he could also benefit from being with people familiar with Avatar neurosciences...

"We can work that," Jax said.

"Then we should wait until nightfall, when the RDA packs up and quits running patrols." Chris spoke up, "And then Trudy can bring the Dragon out nearby, and we can get everyone aboard. Even Toruk won't mess with the Dragon."

"And start packing nikt'chey" for the trip," Arik said.
"Nikt'chey," Aniuket said, smiling, "Good. You do not use that word, tch-aaou."
"Chow?"
"I hate that word," she said. "Ugly."

"If we're in agreement, then," Jax spoke up, "We need to get ready. Would it be safe to assume we leave tomorrow..?"

Results:
Ariel, Damien Cole, and Oscar will go back to the Remote Site.
Preparations will be made for the northern voyage.

[OOC: Last call for those going or staying!]

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Tanhìyärina'

Twonyu turned to Tireamokri.  <<Tireamokri, Tseylian this is to your people, can I come?>>

"Kehe, ma Twonyu.  Hanu sì Tsamsiyu lu eyawr.  Tìsraw lu.  Ne fpom zene.  Rokelutral 'ì'awn.  Ma Tsamsiyu, rutxe ngal za'u tup Twonyu," Tseylian replied, her tone gentle but firm enough to show she would brook no protest.

Seeing the determination on his face, she added quietly, "Oel tsap'alute si."

Tseylian looked around at those gathered, those who had stepped forward to accompany her.  Her heart swelled with pride that these people, Omatikaya and Uniltìranyu alike, wanted to help.  There were murmurings among some Na'vi that it was strategic for the Uniltìranyu as well, and would help keep the Omatikaya safe, but still, that she could be the catalyst, however unknowingly, for this, made her proud.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

"Srane, I will come," Tsamsiyu said to Tseylian, nodding her head. She was adept at healing as much as tracking and fighting, and had a feeling that all her skills would be needed by the party. She briefly wondered what would happen with Oscar. He was a good man, and she had come to respect him in her time caring for him. Things were not always easy. Tsamsiyu looked at Arik and nodded at him. She would talk with Oscar before they left, to make sure he was in good hands before they parted ways for now.

(yay finals my brain can start working again. hehe)

Coyote

Kelutral

"Then it is decided," Mo'at said, in Inglisi, for the benefit of the Uniltìranyu among them. Behind her, Tsu'Tey gave Sek'Mut a knowing nod, both warriors keeping stern eyes on the aliens among them. "Make provisions, and at dawn, we will find the nearby Warriors of the Sengtsil, and return Tseylian to her home... and purge the Sawtute influence among her people."

The crowd began muttering among themselves, discussing the preparations that would be needed. Arik's sister, Na'ama, made her way through the crowd to be by his side.

"So what's the word, sis?" he asked, "You coming along?"
She smiled and shook her head. "You know this is not my sort of thing," she said, "I'm no good in a fight, or long hikes. I will stay here at Kelutral, and continue to train with Beyral. It is what I came here for-- anthropology."

"It'd be safer back at the Remote Site," Arik said.
"Would it?" Na'ama asked. "Really? I mean... unlike the Remote Site, the RDA isn't actually looking for the Omatikaya. They want to get Trudy and the rest of us, and that means the Hallelujah Mountains. Site 26 is more of a target than we are."

Arik sighed, realizing she was right. "Then be careful," he said.
"I'll be snug as a bug," Na'ama said, "Well, Avatar-me will be. My human body is in as much danger as anyone else at the Site, but..." She looked around, "My Avatar is more useful here. Besides... this may be egotistical of me, but perhaps I can try to take up some of the culture-bridging job that got left behind by Dr. Augustine."

Arik looked around at the vast population of Hometree, and briefly glanced at Aniuket's parents, Jamuk and Relya. "I thought you said you wanted something a little less... challenging."
"Don't hold me to your low standards of cultural comprehension," she said teasingly. "Seriously, someone needs to stay here and keep our foot in the door."
"They don't have doors."
"Swear to God I'm going to smack you."

Before Arik could say anything in reply, he felt a nudge at his side, and turned to see Jax. "Hey, what's up?" he asked.
"Can I, um... talk with you for a bit?" Jax asked, "In private? No offense," he said to the two women standing next to Arik.
Na'ama immediately turned to Aniuket. "Hey," she said, "Show me the picture you and Arik were working on before this meeting was called, okay?"
Aniuket sized Jax up, realizing that the Tatwute in the Na'vi body was specifically uncomfortable in front of herself. She walked off with Na'ama, looking over her shoulder at the two men with concerned curiosity before falling into a conversation with Na'ama in mixed ninavi and Inglisi.

"What's on your mind?" Arik asked as they slowly moved away from the larger group.

Jax took a deep breath. "Alright, I know you and Aniuket are close, but do we really have to bring her little sister along? I mean, seriously?"

Jax started pacing a bit, his tail swishing around in agitation. "I don't know man, I get weird feelings around her. Just the other day she caught me si... er... hanging out away from everyone else, and when I try to talk to her, she just takes off. She did the exact same thing when I came back." Jax looked Arik in the eyes and said, "I'm not 100% on the idea of bringing her along. I don't know if we can trust her. Hell, I don't know if we can trust any of the Na'vi, but I'm just a paranoid jackass like that."

Arik glanced over at Nef'Tys and Tseylian. "Well," he said, "It's actually Tirea... Tseylian's show. And I don't think you could separate them with the 'jaws of life'. Besides... you've seen that kid move in the forest. She's as good as most of the established warriors."

"Yes, but," Jax said, "She hasn't been allowed to climb Iknimaya yet. She's got the skills, but there are maturity issues at work here."

"I'll give you that," Arik said, "Although I wouldn't say it to her face. And to be honest, I think Tseylian wants her to come along. Look," he said, "I think there was some sort of connection between Nef'Tys and the kid who used to live here," he said, pointing a finger at Jax's chest.

"Oh," Jax said, furrowing his Na'vi brow in thought in a close approximation of the human expression.

"She's not a bad kid," Arik said. He grinned mischievously, and added, "You know, actually, in a few years you two--"
Jax gave him a hard glare. "Don't. Go. There." he said.
"Alright," Arik said.
"Dude, seriously, I'm having 'adjustment' issues as it is. Can you be serious? Please?" Jax asked.

"Alright," Arik said, "I'm sorry. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. But let's be honest--" he nodded towards Nef'Tys, "Right now, dump you, me, and Nef'Tys out in the jungle with nothing but our wits and a piece of string, and she's the odds-on favorite to walk out alive and in one piece." 

"I would semi agree with that statement, but only because she knows the enviroment better." Jax said grudginly. "Alright, fine, but I'm seriously getting tired of her dashing away from me every time I go anywhere, it makes me feel and look like I've done something wrong."

Arik looked at him, "Well, maybe she feels like you did."

Jax snorted and turned, his tail flicking to the side as he did so. "Well jee, isn't that swell? I'm being persecuted because I survived. Again. Guess I'm never allowed to leave my own personal frying pan am I?"

Arik didn't know what to think about that. But then, Jax was in a state of maximum alienation from everything he held dear, and... and whatever dreams he might have once harbored for himself, Arik knew.

"If it means anything," Arik said, "I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat."

"You don't know what you're sayin', man," Jax warned him.
"No, I don't, not really," Arik said, "But..." he waved it off. "The kid's been through a rough time, too, from her perspective. She liked Hun'nar, and now, he's gone and replaced by a stranger. Her sister likes me, and I'm not exactly on the family A-list, I found out."

"Wha...? Met the parents?"
"Yeah. I think they'd have an easier time if she said she was dating an ikran."

They were quiet for a moment, looking at the crowd of Na'vi.

"I'm jealous," Arik blurted out, then wished he'd kept quiet.
"What?" Jax asked.
"You and Oscar," Arik said, "Two guys who had other plans but got stuck here. Me? I have nothing to go home to. I don't like Earth. This is a place I can get into, I love feeling the dirt in my toes, tree bark on my hands..." He frowned. "The one guy who wouldn't mind getting stuck here is the guy that keeps dodging all the bullets."

"... I sort of know what you're saying. When I signed up for this, I signed up to never have to go back to Earth again." Jax said with a sad, ironic chuckle. "I knew when I signed up that I was going to go home eventually, but heh... irony, neh?" Jax waved his hand towards the Na'vi and his 'home'. "Here I am, stuck, grounded, and in the body of an adolencent, surrounded by people who eather hate my guts, don't care that I exist, fear my existance, semi-tolorate me but ignore me, or flee at the sight of me. Yeah, swell thing I got going on here."

Arik took a moment to digest what Jax just said and was about to say something when Jax cut back in, "To tell you the truth... I would be happy to trade places with you man. Let you have the Na'vi and the world and all that jazz. I'm a Marine, a Medical Pilot, a Transport Jock. I don't belong here on the ground, but you... you're a soldier, an Army boy that didn't belong in the sky."

"Yeah.." Arik said, trailing off, "Found me some good ground to come to rest on. It's..." he looked around at the people, the tall, slender bodies of Na'vi, the tribe... "I guess I'm getting all soft or something, but I can't help but think they have something we lost in our never-ending need for more. Hey," he said, changing the subject back to the original path, "You want, I'll ask Aniuket if there was some friendship or something between Nef'Tys and Hun'nar. At least you'll know what the deal is and can have something to work with."

"That would be something." Jax said with a sigh. "I got to go, I'm apparently overdue for some knife-combat training."

Jax started off before he looked over his shoulder at Arik, "And Arik? Thanks. It's nice to know I still have some connections I can count on."

"Any time, tsmukan," Arik said, "We'll all be watching out for each other these next few days."

They parted company-- Jax had training, and so, too, did Arik. Although my training is a little different, he mused. More cultural than learning physical abilities. But I need to start picking up the pace on that stuff, too. He made his way back to the art table where he and Aniuket had ben working together.

"Hey," Na'ama said, looking up at his approach. "Ma kara? Everything okay?"
"It'll be alright," he said, and hesitated before saying more. But if he couldn't talk to these two, who could he talk to? "Jax and I were just talking about how we're fitting in," he admitted.

Na'ama looked at the art that the two of them had started. "So far it looks like you're doing well enough."
"In some ways," he admitted, looking at Aniuket.
"You will learn more," she said. "But you have to try. To make work for it, not wait for it to just be born in your head."

"Yeah, I know," Arik admitted, "I'll have to learn a lot on this trip north. Aniuket, I... I have a question for you."
"Should I--?" Na'ama asked quietly, pointing away towards the center of the camp.
"No, it's okay," he said.
"What is question?" Aniuket asked.

"Did Hun'nar and Nef'Tys... were they friends?" he asked.
Aniukut frowned, realizing what sort of conversation must have passed between him and Jax. "They were close," she said, "They played together as children, played their... Su'shiri t'acto sa... the..." she made a motion that would be like a human child might play with a toy airplane.

"The little banshee models," Arik said, nodding.
"Srane, and they would pretend to live in a tree together and be olo'eytkan and tsahik."

"They had a tree fort and played house," Arik said, grinning as he pictured it. Aniuket and Na'ama broke out in smiles, too, as the image played out in their heads. "That explains a lot," he said.

"It does," Na'ama agreed. "Kind of sad to think about, now, though."
"Not so," Aniuket said. "Hun'nar would not would up, also would not die. This way, part of him live still, other part go to Eywa. Nef'Tys will understand this in time, understand this is better way than nothing."

Arik nodded, hoping that it did not take too long. "Well," he said, "We need to get ready to go, and get Oscar, Ariel and Damien packed."

"And we will finish this before you go," Aniuket said, motioning towards the hide they'd been painting on. "You owe me at least one tseo."
"Yes, dear," Arik said, smiling as his sister rolled her eyes.

Results:
Preparations are being made.
Arik and Jax have discussion about Jax and Nef'Tys getting along; also reflect on how they are both integrating.
Arik learns that Hun'nar and Nef'Tys had a colorful past together as childhood playmates.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Mako

Pandoran Wilderness
2100 Hours

Damien trudged with silent determination through the thick bush in the direction of Hell's Gate. The only sound as he ran was the thud of the treads and his breathing. He was incredibly calm, despite the gravity of what he was about to do. Inside the cockpit of his AMP suit, he had lined what room he had free with mining explosives. All it took was one pistol shot and nothing would be left of anything within 30 yards of his suit but charred and glassed earth. Hell, he was going to die eventually wasn't he? He figured he'd go out with as big of a boom as he possibly could. The control tower at Hell's Gate had attempted to contact him around 5 minutes ago but he had quietly ignored them. Damien knew there would be one or more AMP waiting for him. He was ready.

--------

Hell's Gate
2115 Hours

He was right; they had spared no expense to keep him out. 3 AMP suits awaited him as he reached the outer wall of Hell's Gate. He switched on his comm, quickly pinpointing the frequency that they were broadcasting on. Damien slowed up about 50 yards off.

"Hey fat-asses, you're in my way."

"Well too bad Skippy, because we aren't getting out of it," the central pilot retorted.

"Damn, he must be a greenhorn. They made this too easy," he thought.

"The name's Damien. It's the last one you're going to hear." He figured he'd try to intimidate them before the fight.

"Who cares? Right boys. Let's get this done quick," the pilot said.

And with that, like the crashing of a wave on the rocks, hell broke loose.

Damien struck first, bolting toward the trio without hesitation. He let loose a burst of white hot metal toward the left AMP, catching it's ammo chain and ripping it to shreds. That didn't stop the pilot from firing what he could in desperation, his GAU-90 spitting out hellfire in his desperate attempt.. By then it was too late. Damien bulled into the pilot, smashing the canopy with a shoulder and crushing the man's chest in one blow. Bullets pinged up the back of the suit, a few striking the exhaust system causing warning alarms to blare in the cockpit. "God how I hate those things," he thought with a grimace. Turning with a roar, he brought his rifle up and laced the second AMP's canopy with bullet holes. He knew the man inside was either gasping for breath or a piece of Swiss cheese, possibly even both. That left the greenie.

Damien spun and caught a blow from the AMP lightly on his canopy. Crystalline cracks appeared across the span. He was lucky this time, but he had underestimated the greenhorn's skill. Forgoing all weapons, Damien snarled and hurled himself into the other AMP. He was close enough to clearly see the fear, and hatred, in the other pilot's eyes. They rolled toward the wall, smashing into it. The other pilot came out on top and immediately took off toward the landing pad where several other AMP drivers were suddenly aware of the presence of an intruder. He never made it.

Damien brought him down from behind by throwing his GAU-90 into the AMP's legs. When he was almost on top of the other pilot, he rolled over and shattered Damien's canopy. He inhaled sharply, flipping the comm to the standard Hell's Gate frequency. "I hope you can hear this, Childs," he thought. The alarms were blaring in his ears, and in one fluid motion, he ripped the canopy clear of the other AMP. Bullets from the other AMPs now flew around him, thudding into the concrete and striking the shoulders of his AMP. He didn't have long; his lungs were already beginning to burn. Damien gripped the other AMP and deactivated his control. Drawing his pistol, he leaned into the other cockpit, staring the pilot in the eyes, and whispered,

"A gift from the Na'vi. Kxangangang...b****."

--------

Damien had always enjoyed a very large boom, and a boom it was. A crater 15 yards across and 7 feet deep was blown into the tarmac. The blast enveloped 4 Scorpion gunships and a section of the wall, leaving Hell's Gate exposed to the harsh Pandoran wilderness. A second and third explosion shook the pad as the fuel tanks of the AMPs exploded, belching fire hundreds of feet into the sky. When the smoke and fire cleared, no trace of either AMP remained. He had accomplished all that he had set out for. It was finished.

--------

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Jax took a deep breath as he started making his way to the training area that Txonunilyu had told him about before, readying for their training session.

He smiled to himself slightly as he smoothly drew his knife, twirling it around effortlessly, enjoying watching the blade move in the slight light. He chuckled to himself as he started messing around with it, tossing it around and passing it to himself.

He always did stupid stuff like this when he was bored. Kept him active, and kept him from having to stand still for too long. "Heh. Ten to one Txonunilyu would smack me if she caught me doing this... but whatever."

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

El Jacko

Hallelujah Mountains (forest floor)
1845hrs

The datapad must have been on the blink...or the beacon hacked. Either way, he could see no mobile sights in the area, yet apparently he was right on top of it. Wherever 'it' was, at least; the red beacon was dancing around the sector of the screen, distorting randomly. It didn't occur to him, however, that he'd walked deep into the flux vortex.

Balls...maybe they've moved it...I'd ne-, he thought, cut short by a drop of water striking the datapad. But the sky he could see was clear...glancing up, through the branches, he saw it. A colossal hunk of floating rock drifted slightly overhead, blotting out much of the darkening sky. Hanging below it were dozens of vines and climbing plants, all clinging to the sheer rock and reaching out to the ground below. Hanging within the tangle of flora were Shep's new friends, chattering hurriedly to each other. Once they saw him, standing below gawking, they offered a curious stare before swinging off up, in some sort of signal. Shep offered another glance to the datapad...the beacon was still there, right on top of him.

He signed to himself, then swung up into the nearest tree, taking advantage of the low gravity to avoid stressing his bad knee. It was like his selection training all over again. Minutes later, he carefully stood on the topmost branch of the tree, some 150 feet above the forest floor, watching the sway of the vines dangling in front of him. He had to time this perfectly...

Seconds passed. Then seconds eased into minutes and still, Shep remained perfectly still.

Watching.

Waiting...

"Alley-oop!" he shouted, ignoring the dull protest from his knee as he leapt from the tree, arms outstretched. After hanging in the air for an inordinate amount of time, his hands struck the vine he'd been waiting for and he clung on for dear life, swinging lazily in the evening breeze. Carefully, he slowly began to inch his way up towards the rock above.

As if to add insult to injury, a chattering sound to the right heralded a pair of piercing orange eyes, hanging upside down at the edge of the cliff.
"Oh, stop showing off..." he muttered to himself. The primate promptly upped sticks and disappeared, whooping all the way. Shep stared at the spot it had vanished from for a moment, then stole a brief glance at the ground, longing to be stood on something solid. It was going to be a long climb.

Hallelujah Mountains – Cliff face
1950hrs

Compared to the climbing he had to do during Selection, this was relatively easy. Easy in the way that the lower gravity meant he weighed about a fifth less out here, easy that the vines and plants snaking up the side were well rooted and solid. Not so easy in that periodically the odd Banshee would hurtle past, requiring him to hug himself against the rock to look like just another plant. Not so easy in that his 'friends' kept racing up and down past him.

All this paled into insignificance, though, before the threat of Stingbats. The evil little blighters would have a go at anything that looked out of the ordinary, whereas banshees would only attack things that move. And Stingbats always try their luck in packs.

A piercing howl from above prompted Shep into swift action. As before, he placed his hands together and pulled his legs up, completely hiding within the camouflage suit from whatever was on its way...then before he could react, a purple blur wheeled past and struck him hard. Without his feet in the rock face, he was knocked off balance and left hanging by the fingers of one hand, swinging dangerously. All it took was a glance toward the canopy, and his head began to spin. Dizzy, he threw his hand out in a futile attempt to grasp something else.

"Oh shi-"

In slow motion, his fingers slipped off the crevice in the rock...one by one, exactly like he'd seen a hundred times in films. The last thing he saw was a flash of blue, just as he began to drop...
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Coyote

Hell's Gate, Pandora

Colonel Miles Quaritch sat down across for Alex "Gears" Kellen and nodded, a slight smile of satisfaction on his face. "Kellen," he said, "I understand you've been through a rough time. And I'd like to personally apologize to you for the... well, rough treatment you received when you were first brought in. The guys out there, they're tight. They've been on a hair-trigger for several days now, and it's starting to wear at them. They didn't know whether to treat you as a prisoner or a prodigal son."

"I understand," Alex said calmly. He was more relaxed now; he'd been removed from the holding cell he'd initially been placed in and returned to his own, original quarters. Not everything was back to normal, though-- he'd only been back 48 hours, and while he'd been allowed --finally!-- to shower and change into a clean uniform, he was restricted to his quarters. For his own safety, he'd been told. From what, no one had defined. "I'm just glad to be out of that damn jungle."

"I can imagine," the Colonel said, idly running his fingers along the scars on the side of his face. "The guards been good to you since I got you back to your quarters?" he asked.
"Yeah, actually," Alex said, "Now that they know I came in on my own."

"Good," Quaritch said, shifting in his chair, "I've been going over your statement," Quaritch said, putting a manila folder on the desk. "So, I take it there's a sizeable community of renegade Avatar pilots, scientists and a handful of RDA Sec-Ops that have holed up in the Halleljuah Mountains somewhere, right?"

"Yes, sir," Alex said, "We originally went to Site 26, but Grace Augustine said that Site 26 would be known to Security, and they had plans to move to another site."

"And you don't know where that site is?" Quaritch asked, thuimbing through the report.
"Afraid not, sir, I'm sorry," Alex said, "I got out of there before they finalized their plans to move. I wasn't really thinking about staying to gather intel; I was more concerned with getting away."

"Don't beat yourself up too bad, son," Quaritch said, "You saw a chance to escape and took it. If you'd waited until they were all back at Hometree, there'd be too many of them, and you wouldn't be able to make a break of it. That wa sprobably your best chance to get away."

"Yes, sir," Alex said, obviously relieved. "Thank you, sir."

"So," Quaritch said, leaning back, "Tell me-- what were the effects on the tribe and the Avatars after Dr. Augstine was taken out?"

Alex let out a deep breath. "At first, everyone came to gether," he said, "Defeat the enemy, save Augustine, all that," he said. "But soon after that, the Na'vi in the tribe that hate humans and Avatars started getting bossy. Arguments started breaking out, and a lot of the Avatar drivers don't have Augustine's language skills."

"So, arguments started breaking out?" Quaritch asked, leaning forward.
"There were already fights," Alex revealed, "Real fights. Fistfights, in a couple of situations. The natives and the Avatars and remaining humans started getting alienated from each other."
"Unit cohesion broke down," Quaritch said, smiling and nodding. Exactly as we'd hoped for, he thought. "Any word on what the effect is going to be on the traitors holing up with the Na'vi at Hometree?"

"Long term, I doubt they're going to keep the welcome mat out much," Alex said. "They'll probably be kicked out, or at least 'dis-invited', and my wager is that they'll go to wherever they chose as a new Remote Site in the Hallelujah Mountains."

"Excellent," Quaritch said.

Director's Office
Hell's Gate, Pandora

"So what's the word, Colonel?" Dr. Warren Childs asked from behind the Director's desk. He'd poured Scotch for both of them, which they sipped at, Quaritch more slowly than the newly self-promoted Director.

"It looks like Sheppard's hit on Augustine was a real kick in the gut for them," Quaritch said with satisfaction, "Morale and cohesion is breaking down. Kellen feels that the Avatars and remaining humans will be either kicked out or asked to leave the area around Hometree before long."

"And they'll go to the Hallelujah Mountains?" Childs asked, contemplating.
"It's the only place they have left to go," Quaritch said, "I suppose they could take their chances on any of the the dozens of remote camps we have dotted around the region, but the Hallelujah Mountains is their most likely bolt-hole. It's hidden, they've got the Dragon defending it, and it's in that damn vortex area."

"So, strategically thinking, what do you recommend, Colonel?" Childs asked.
"We can keep them contained in the Hallelujah Mountains with minimal effort," Quaritch said. "Even with food and water they'll be cramped together in close quarters, with nowhere to go and nothing to do. They'll probably end up killing each other, if we leave them there long enough. Let them stew, I say. Keep Sheppard on them so they don't get too squirrely-- he's proven to be effective, after all."

"True," Childs said, sipping at his Scotch. "If we keep them boxed in, we can concentrate on rooting out the Environmental Freedom Front clowns in here... have everything nailed down and looking tight by the time the Venture Star arrives."

"Then they'll more'n likely just accept you as the man in charge," Quaritch said, "Especially with Senator Hardy and the Board backing you up. They'll be our reinforcements."

"Alright, then, Colonel," Childs said, "How were you planning on keeping them boxed up in the vortex area?"

"Those mobile camp sites we have all over," Quaritch said, "They were mostly place dout there to help Augustine and her bunch move around safely in the forest. Now that they are no longer a factor, we can do as we want with them. I say we move a bunch of them up to the border of the vortex, especially fortifying the route between the Na'vi at Hometree and the vortex to keep an eye on any traffic between the two, and just wait and watch. A few security guys out there can provide early warning and we can have gunships ready to go if they spot anything."

"How many men per campsite?"
"Say just a fire team apiece, about four men. Rotate guard shifts and radio watch, and rely on a gunship quick-reaction force in case they need real firepower. That'll keep logistics --and costs-- down to a minimum."

"How soon can you implement this, Colonel?"
"I've been drawing up plans for this for the last couple of days," Quaritch admitted, "I can have Samson crews lifting the Remote Camps out tomorrow morning."

"I like it, Colonel," Childs said, "Do it."
"Yes, sir."

Results:
Quaritch and Childs draw up a plan based on Alex's interpretation of events.
Omatikaya expected to kick out the rebels-- and for the rebels to hide in the Vortex.
Vortex border will be surrounded by unused Remote Camps and manned with Security to besiege the rebels.

Kelutral

"No," Aniuket said, sighing, "Like this. Ah! You Sawtute, always only what the eye see exactly!"
"Line art, honey, Arik said, "Illustration. It's our bread and butter."

She looked at him.

"It is the air we breathe, the wind beneath our wings."

"You and your sar-kas'm."
"No," Arik said, "Actually, I mean it. Most sky-people art is this--" he said, waving towards the image of the gunship he'd painted. "We have the other stuff, like what you do, but it is called things like 'impressionism'."
Her face registered confusion at the new word.

"Look, some art we do is made to represent not the thing, but how we feel about the thing. Our 'impression' of it. Two people may paint different pictures even though they are looking at the same thing."

"This makes no sense," she said, "No wonder you people are so crazy."
"See this forest?" Arik said, spreading his arm out to encompass the area around Kelutral in a dramatic sweep. "Many Sawtute who come here would paint a picture of dark, scary things. To them, this is a frightening place of nightmares. But I..." he looked at the forest, and the trees. "I would paint... well, happiness, I guess. Calm. Beauty."

Aniuket looked at him, her expression of doubt softening.

"It is good for Sawtute, but you need to think like Na'vi," she said, and reached to smear out the image.
"No, now, wait," Arik said, gently grasping her wrist. "Like it or not, it is mine."
"But you have to not-learn this way," she said, indicating the line art, "And make new learning of the way of the People."

Arik looked at her, and at the image, and thought about it. Then, he reached over to the color he'd used to make the gunship image, and smeared some more on a feather he was using for shadows. "Let's try this," he said, and traced around the image but in a blurry, smeared line. Soon, the image existed, but instead of line art it was... "--the impression of a kunsip, srane?" he asked, smiling.

"Srane," Aniuket said, smiling at him. He reached up, with a flick of his wrist, and smeared some of the paint on her nose. "Ah!" she said, pretending to be angry but still smiling. She wiped the smear off with the water they had in a nearby gourd. They looked at the picture they had begun together-- her, the ground; him, the sky, and the impression of the kunsip he'd painted.

"Not bad," Aniuket said, "But you still must make try to not be so Tawtute in your thoughts." She sat at the edge of the art table. "You still need to learn." She looked up at him; his Avatar was taller than her natural Na'vi body, and she was leaning against the table.  "So, we will go with Tseylian to her people; what will you do?"

"I think it is a good idea for us to go with her," Arik said, "After all, we know the Sawtute, what to look for, what to expect. Which words are lies. I can train on the way up there and back, and when I come back to Kelutral, be ready to climb Iknimaya."
"I will come with you this time," Aniuket said, "My brother and parents, they do not like it."
"But olo'eytkan does like it," Arik said, "If we are here, we may bring trouble from the RDA. They may come here looking for us. Alex, by now, has told them we are here."

"I cannot believe Ah-leeks went back to them," Aniuket said.
"He was uncomfortable here," Arik said. "Most of us here will want to go home someday."

"And you?" she asked.
"I... I am home," Arik said.
She looked at him.
"Remember, I almost wish it had been me, instead of Jax, that..." he stopped.

She looked at him, and took his hand. "I believe you," she said. "The picture is finished. The paint will dry on it's own; we need to gather food for our journey."

"Srane," Arik said automatically, "I'll have to use a practice bow on the way, too..."
"We will find one," Aniuket said, "I will get the one Sek'Mut had from before he made climb Iknimaya."
"Isn't he going to be angry if you--?"
"He never uses it," she said, "He won't know until it is too late, anyway, and we are on trail."

"How are we getting there?" Arik asked. "Most of us don't have ikrans."
"We will ride pa'li," she said, "You can ride pa'li by yourself, you are very good on pa'li," she said. "I will ride a pa'li as well, but my ikran will follow along."

"It will be cold where we are going," Arik said, "We will need, um... hides, I guess."
"Cold?" Aniuket asked.
Arik opened his mouth to explain, but realized he would not have the words to really do that to a human who'd never known 'cold'. "We'll ask Tseylian to describe it," Arik said.

They went to the campfire, where the rest of the Yerik they'd shot on the trip back from the Tree of Souls was being cooked and dried and wrapped in leaves and spices-- nikt'chey for the journey.

"Not as many as before," Arik said. "Couple days' worth at best."
"You will be expected to hunt and provide food this time," Aniuket said, "There is not enough food in all of Kelutral to give nikt'chey for so long a journey."

"You ready?" Arik asked as he saw Chris.
"As I'll ever be," he said. "I heard from Trudy. They'll fly the Dragon in at dusk to pick up our evacuees."
"Good," Arik said. "The sooner we clear out of here, the better."

Results:
Arik and Aniuket get ready for voyage.
Whole village once again preparing for big send-off.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

El Jacko

Hallelujah Mountains – Site 26
1950 (ish) hrs

The Prolemuris swung effortlessly among the canopy, atop the great floating mountain. If the strange plant-alien was so determined on getting up here, the inquisitive nature of a powerful primate would want to have a poke around too. He had scouted almost the entire plateau; nothing so far. On the last cliff, he caught a glint of silver through the trees and made a beeline for the clear area. Perched on the edge of the cliff sat a pair of large, silver pods, next to which was a giant green...thing. Overwhelmed by inquisition, he dropped to the ground and loped over, wondering where such a huge thing could have possibly come from, and if it had anything in common with the thunder-birds he'd been seeing of late.

Suddenly, a tube-like thing slung underneath the thunder-cloud began to whirr, and turned to face in his direction. Without warning, the tube spat out a gout of fire with a clattering roar, blasting chunks of rock and loam off the ground in front of him. Howling an alarm call, the terrified Prolemuris leapt onto the thunder-cloud, dashed over the top and dived over the cliff, seizing a vine on the way down.

Hallelujah Mountains – Mid-air
1952hrs

He didn't shout. After a decade of SAS training, drill exercises and interrogations, true fear was a rare pleasure. Almost in slow motion, he scrabbled at the cliff face as it gathered pace, then his arm caught something solid and he stopped dead, swinging slightly in the breeze.

But he hadn't grabbed hold of anything...so why wasn't he falling? People don't just stop dead, 300 feet above the ground. Focusing his thoughts, he marshalled a dribble of courage and, slowly, began to look up.

Holding his forearm in a vice-like grip were a pair of long, 4-fingered blue hands. Connected to these was a large Prolemuris; the very same one which kept trying to steal a glance at him. It hung, almost motionless, from a thick vine tangled into the rock, staring down at the alien, eyes glittering with curiosity and wonder. Shep broke the stare, and reached out to grab the cliff face. The Prolemuris maintained it's grip until it was certain Shep had a good hold, then let go and shot off, chattering excitedly. Back on something solid, Shep got about continuing his climb.  Another few hundred feet and he'd have his feet on a flat surface again.

The rest of the climb was uneventful, even by Terran standards. After the Stingbat took a swipe at him, the rest of the group of primates took to making an awful racket and throwing rocks at anything toothy, apparently in defence of 'their' alien. This was a relief – Shep wasn't in the mood for another dance with death. Not quite yet, anyway.

With a final, satisfied sigh, Shep heaved himself over the edge of the sheer cliff and lay on the precipice, staring out over the forest. ACA was just beginning to drop into the horizon, slinging the world below into vivid colour once more. Checking the datapad again, Site 26 blinked merrily a few hundred yards away. After laying still a few minutes to catch his breath, he got up and limped over, stopping just inside the treeline. Now was too soon; the daylight would give the Dragon something to aim for.

Darkness wasn't far off now, so Shep dragged himself up into the branches of a tree and propped himself up against the trunk, eyes fixed on the mobile site. Unfortunately, his eyelids weren't quite so fixed, and he quickly dozed off.

Ikranä mokri

Hell's Gate
2115 Hours

The shock wave hit the Sampson side on and it lurched violently in the low gravity. Peregrine twisted his head violently as he heard a scream from the back. He couldn't look for long because it was taking all his skill to keep the SA-2 from not doing a barrel roll. Peregrine brought the bird back under control. His legs were now killing him with the amount of force he had had to keep on each peddle to keep the back end straight.

James hadn't seen much of the fire fight but he had heard it and he could now see the damage. There was huge crater in the tarmac, the remnants of AMP suits were scattered around, the SA-2s AND SA-1s that had been closer to the blast had been tipped onto their sides, and there was one or two that had been flipped totally over. Hovering over the scene of the carnage he could see engineers picking themselves up or going to tend the wounded.

It was then that he heard the yelling in his ear "JAMES, JAMES, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE MAN ANSWER ME" came Alex's voice over the radio "PEREGRINE PUT THIS DAMN BIRD DOWN NOW"
peregrine replied over the radio "Alex man, calm down, what's gone on and what the hell was that scream I heard." his voice was calm but authoritative
"Its one of the team, he fell, I think he is dead but if you dont put us down now, we will never know"

Reacting like he did when he had served in Venezuela he swung the back end round and started to drop. 2 feet off the ground he cut the engines, the SA-2 dropped this far with a bone shuddering jolt. Everyone in the back of the Sampson jumped out and James could now see the extent of the damage, putting on his exo-pack he opened the door. The men were all crowded around the body, James looked around at the destruction.

Mako

Kelutral

Chris finished prepping the support crew for dust off as the sun began to fall. Unfortunately Esme, Ariel, Grace, and Na'ama were going to be a hindrance on this sensitive mission. Damien and his AMP had gone missing, though it didn't particularly bother Chris. He was most likely off scouting or spending some time alone, as he so often did. He wasn't much of a talker. Chris shrugged it off and set off to find the rest of the crew.

--------

As he strode into Kelutral's main clearing, he quickly spotted Aniuket, ever shadowed by Arik, and smiled wryly. "I'm not the only one who has fallen hard," he thought with a smile. That gave him reassurance and made him feel more secure in his love. But he sobered up quickly and turned his attention to the matters at hand as he walked up to them.

Arik looked up as Chris' shadow fell across the art that he and Aniuket had been laboring over. "Here was one way to balance cultural differences, through tseo," he thought.

"You ready?" Arik asked as he stood to look Chris in the eyes.
"As I'll ever be," he said. "I heard from Trudy. They'll fly the Dragon in at dusk to pick up our evacuees."
"Good," Arik said. "The sooner we clear out of here, the better."
"Yeah, you got that right mate. I'll go gather the rest of the crew and make sure they're prepped."

He turned his back on them, leaving them to their art, and walked in the direction of the Kelutral common area.

--------

If there was one place to find anyone with armed forces experience, it was near any kind of alcohol. This held true to a t as, sure enough, a good portion of the crew had gathered to chat and exchange campaign histories. Most of the Avatar drivers had picked up a taste for Kiva, the fire water that replaced alcohol for the Na'vi. Some of the Marine personnel had tried it but found it too volatile for their human stomachs.

But they weren't alone in their conversation. They were also joined by more than a few Na'vi warriors who had overcome their differences and now shared a sense of camaraderie with the Avatar pilots, mingling their tales of honor and glory with those of the humans.

Chris' trained eyes picked out a few absences from the group. Missing in action was Jax, probably off continuing his training. He and Jax had been the only two to make visible progress in their training. He hoped the others would follow soon, though all training would have to be put on hold as they went north.

Oscar was also missing. The boy was probably with Tsamsiyu as she provided him with help and therapy. He was gaining slight use of his arms on very rare occasions. But that was still use, regardless of how few and far between. Tsamsiyu had proved to be an adept healer after all.

He slipped into the group, making eye contact and giving nods to those who were clearing out tonight. One by one, they quietly slipped out of the group and headed to pack what little they had. Satisfied, he sat with the group and listened to tales of war long since past.

--------

Coyote

Hell's Gate, Pandora

Alarm klaxons blared as the crater smoked; Dr. Childs raced to the overlook where he could get a good view of the ruin that Damien Cole's rampage had caused.

"God damn them!" he shouted. "What the hell is this, a prelude to a larger attack? Colonel Quaritch!" he shouted in his radio.
"I'm on it," Quaritch replied curtly, and cut off. Childs frowned, but let the Colonel do his job. Security men and women raced to anf fro, checking vital areas, taking up defensive positions in case this was the opening move of a larger strike, and waited tensely for the other shoe to drop.

"Lone attack," Quaritch called back later. "No evidence of any supporting or follow-on elements. Zero," he added for emphasis.
"Then what was it about?" Childs asked. Behind him, the door opened and he turned to see his niece coming in, her face set in grim concern. She saw he was talking on the radio, so assumed a waiting posture.

"Can't tell," Quaritch said, "But it looks like a kamikaze attack by the AMP suit driver that defected to the other side. Cole."

"Cole," Childs repeated numbly, but the name was meaningless to him. "What was his beef?"
"I say we ask our guest," Quaritch replied, "I'm on my way back up. Be with you in a moment."

Childs acknowledged, and noted that the damage control and repair teams were already coming to deal with the incident. He turned to face his neice, Julia. "What's up, honey?" he asked.

"My Avatar," she said, "It's largely healed, and Dr. Patel wants me to start some physical therapy routines."
"Uhm, mmm-kay... what's that to me?"
"I need access to the drivepod room," she said. "You have it locked."

"Ah, yes," Childs said. He sighed, and looked outside. "Is this... really important?" he asked impatiently.
"It is to me," Julia said. "There's still work to be done."
"Not while those rebel nuts are out there," Dr. Childs said.

"But aren't they contained in the vortex area?" Julia asked. "Part of resuming normal operations means continuing the Avatar program. If the program is disrupted when the Venture Star arrives, then it'll be something for the people back home to question."

Warren Childs looked at his niece, weighing the logic of her words with the potential that she was, somehow --for some reason-- being subversive. Why the hell should she care about the damn Avatars? he wondered.

"Okay, fine," he said. Then an idea struck him. "You went through the training, learned the language, all that?" he asked.
"Yeah," she replied, warily.
"Seems we have a position open," he said, warming to the idea. "Grace Augustine is out of the picture now, and we'll need someone to head up the Avatar program. I think you'll do. In fact, I know you'll do, because you're th eonly Avatar left, right?" he asked with a grin.

"Uh--" Julia hesitated.
"What is it?" Childs asked, his grin fading. "You are the only one left, right? Are there any left?"

"Um, yeah," Julia said, recovering. "There were a couple left down in the barracks, but they were in the last stages of starvation and dehydration."

Dr. Childs looked at her. "Well... are they dead yet?" he asked impatiently.
"I don't know," Julia replied, "They were in bad shape when I got shot, but obviously I haven't been able to go check lately. I assumed they expired while I was out of action."

"Hmmm," Childs said. He'd been under the impression that all other Avatars had either escaped or been killed. "Well, then, that's you're first mission, sweetie," he said. "Go get your Avatar, and as soon as you have the opportunity I want you to draw a pistol from the armory. The Colonel will give you one on my order. And I want you to finish off those Avatars in there if they are not already dead."

"Yes, sir," she said, fighting down the nausea and tightness she felt.

"You take care of this, honey, and you'll be in charge of the Avatar program. You'll take Grace Augustine's place. Who knows, we may re-initiate the Animal Planet and Pandora Channel specials with your fresh young face instead of Augustine's. Tell the story of what's going on here from a more... realistic perspective. Hell, honey, you'll be famous. A TV star."

"I'd like that, uncle Warren," she said, smiling.

"get going, then, hon. I need to talk to the Colonel," Childs said. Julia left, brushing past the Colonel as she did, who grunted a greeting at her.  

"Director," Quaritch said, "I just spoke with Alex. He said that Cole was disgruntled about your takeover here."

"Disgruntled?" Childs asked, "About what?"
"He felt that you would not allow him to return home at his regularly scheduled rotation," Quaritch revealed. "Apparently, there's a lot of people worried about that. There's an undercurrent of talk going about that you don't want any negative publicity related to your... assumption of leadership here," Quaritch said. "So, a lot of people are convinced that you're going to keep them here by force when their term is up."

Childs frowned, and leaned against the wall, his arms crossed. "I'd laugh, it's a ridiculous notion..." he said, scratching ta his beard. "But, yeah, I suppose some might see that as a danger. In truth, the thought had crossed my mind," he admitted.

Quaritch kept a straight poker face. "Well, that might have some repercussions with morale," he said, trying to say something that would be neutral and obvious, while also seeing where 'Director' Childs was going with his chain of thought.

"I wanted to see how things settled before the Venture Star arrives," he said. "If things get back to normal, and everyone falls into their roles like they're supposed to, then I can allow rotations to proceed as scheduled. But if people are still bucking my authority when the new arrivals show up, well... obvously I can't let people go home with attitudes like that to tell the press."

"It'll be old news by the time they get back," Quaritch said, "Six years old, at least. By that time you'll be firmly set here as the honcho. Maybe your buddies on the Board can even buy them off."

"Hmmm, yes," Childs said, but he was thinking. Or, I can pay off the crew of the ship to 'accidentally' lose power to a handful of sleeper pods on the way back... blame a solar flare or something... "Colonel, the real answer here is to get things back to normal. And that can't happen with these wild rumors floating about, egging people to take fanatical action," he said with a wave out the windows towards the smoking crater of Damien Cole's AMP suit.

"What should I tell them, sir?" Quaritch asked.
"Tell them that rotations will go as scheduled," Childs replied. "No one is being held here against their will. If there are still people agitating by the time th eVenture Star shows up, we'll deal with those troublemakers at that time, Okay?"

"You got it, sir."

"Oh, and Colonel," Childs said, looking back out the windows, "Those Samsons that got damaged in the attack... salvage their engines and weapons systems. I want to put them on my new invention."

"Yes, sir."

Results:
Childs and Quaritch discuss the AMP suit attack and what it means.
Attack is being seen as a separate attack, unrelated to the Avatar rebels.
For morale reasons, announcement is made that rotations home will go as scheduled.
Childs ready to take other alternative actions (from bribery to murder) to deal with remaining malcontents.

Childs's niece given command of Avatar program, instructed to kill Blake's and Liz's surviving Avatars.

Kelutral, Dusk

The howl and whoosh of the engines was enough to scare away any remaining Ikrans or Toruks, and almost scared away several Na'vi as well. The children gathered to watch in wide-eyed, slack-jawed amazement as the Dragon, or "Iron Cloud" as they called it, dropped to the ground in the clearing near Kelutral. Many adults watched as well, their eyes glowering with anger and resentment at the power the massive assault ship represented-- even if in the hands of Sawtute nominally regarded as friendly and sympathetic to them.

Chris, Arik, Jax and the others saw them off-- Ariel Dauphanes, who made a show of blowing kisses to Sek'Mut, who pretended not to notice-- and Oscar.

"No one knows where Damien is?" Arik asked over the rush of engines. He and Jax held flashlights that had been used to mark the landing zone, but had also swept the treeline and crowd to find the human AMP driver.

"He took off," Chris said, "Didn't tell anyone where he was buggerin' off to," he added, some annoyance evident in his voice.

"We can't be flying the Dragon in casually," Jax said, "If he shows up, he'll just have to stay here and hide among the Omatikaya. It won't be safe to pull a stunt like this again."

"You're damn right about that," Trudy Chacon said through her throat microphone. She was in the cockpit, ready to take off at a moment's notice if things went wrong. "I saw some of the other Remote Sites, the ones on the forest floor nearby. They've been moved."

"Moved? Where?" Arik asked.
"Closer to the area around the Hallelujah Mountains," she said, "They're encircling the vortex area with them. They're trying to box us in. If they can't get in, they don't want us getting out unseen, either. In about two days they'll have the area between Hometree and our site under constant surveillance."

"You can be your spotty blue tail that they'll have teams in each one of those, too," Jax said grimly.
"I would," Arik agreed. "All aboard?" he called out.

From the ramp, Ariel gave the thumbs-up; Oscar grinned and nodded his head towards her as if to say what she said. Arik smiled at them and turned to his sister, Na'ama.

"Last chance," he said, "All ashore at's going ashore."
"I'm staying," Na'ama said simply.
Arik nodded, and gave the thumbs up to Trudy in the cockpit. The ramp closed, and in a moment, the pitch of the engines increased to a ferocious howl, and the massive aircraft lifted off and began a gradual rotation back towards the Hallelujahs Mountains.

"Well, we better get back to the tree," Chris said, "Put these bodies to sleep an' wake up at th' site so we can help 'em sling-load those crates."

"Yeah," Arik said lazily, looking at the disappearing running lights of the Dragon as Trudy winked them out. The assault transport was soon just a dark spot on the horizon, and then disappeared into the mist. "We got time, though, for them to fly back."

"You should rack out," Jax said, "you'll need to feed your human bodies, too. Wake up, eat, use the crapper and then be ready to go when the bird shows up."

Arik stretched, scratching his ribs. "Good idea. We need to get a lot done and still be rested for tomorrow." The group broke up and made their way back to their sleeping areas. Arik met with Aniuket, who guided him to the family sleeping area. Sek'Mut glared, as did her parents, but no one said anything. Nef'Tys had invited Tseylian to sleep over as well, so they could all get up early and get started together; because of Tseylian, no one in Aniuket's extended family wanted to get into an exchange with Arik.

They ate together, a delicious but tense meal in which Arik felt all-too-self-aware. With little said between them, Aniuket led Arik up to a branch where the k'sey na'vi was strung for him.

"Jungle hammocks, eh?" he asked rhetorically. "Semi-transparent hammocks slung up in full public view. How exactly are little Na'vi made?" he said with a smile. Aniuket stifled a smirk and made as if to scold him with disapproval for his remark, but in truth she enjoyed the display of rebellion involved with having Arik over.

"Spending the night at the girlfriend's house," Arik said, "Awk-waaard. G'night," he said with a smile.
"Good night," Aniuket said back quietly.
"Goodnight Ah-rik!" Nef'Tys hollered from across the span of the nearby branches.

"Good night Nef'Tys," Arik answered back in casual tones. "'night John Boy, 'night Mary Ellen, 'night Grampa."

"Get up, sleepyhead," a voice said as the face the voice belonged to floated in his blurry vision. Acrid smells tickled his nose and he sneezed.

"Crap!" the voice said. "Gesundheit. Thanks."

He blinked his eyes. Grace Augustine was wiping her face with a towel, her cigarette held between two fingers. Oh, that was what I smelled, he realized.

"Sorry, boss," he said.
"No problem," Grace said. "I was going to shower later anyway. How are things back there?"
"Damien Cole ran off," Arik said, "No one knows where he went."

"Well, I hope he has a plan," Blake said, coming by with trays of food for the now-wakened Avatar drivers. "The chopper got here a few minutes ago. Trudy and Esme and the others are eating, too, but we need to be ready to load this up and go."

"We'll strap down everything that might move around," Grace said, "And we'll have to make sure the Avatars aren't needed and are secure. I don't know if we can have active Avatars while the drivepods are being moved, and I don't want to risk it."

"Good idea," Chris said, scarfing down a sandwich.

"How's your Avatar?" Arik asked.
"Getting better," Grace said, "I'll try to link in with her in another day or so, but I want to know what the plan is tonight."

"Move these containers," Arik said, waving his hand around to imply the crates they sat in. "Then go find a couple others to attach to them, give us more drivepods and rooms."

"There are at least two other sites in the Hallelujah Mountains we can add to these," Blake said.

"Then let's finish chow and get going," Arik said. "Sooner the better. We'll try to move a couple other sites tonight but we can put that off. Moving this site is the priority."

"Ready when you are, mate," Chris said.

Grace looked around-- the Avatar drivers were finishing their food and cycling through the bathroom. "Then let's go," she said, and they donned breather masks. Ariel and Na'ama stayed in their drivepods and used their Avatars outside, since they could move freely in the Pandoran atmosphere.

Soon, Chris, Arik, Blake, and Grace were outside in breather masks, and Ariel And Na'ama's Avatars joined them. Inside the Dragon, Trudy and Esme warmed up the engines to begin the sling load operations.

Results:
Avatars asleep safely at Kelutral.
Avatar drivers begin work moving the site to a safer locale.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8: