Main Menu

RP?

Started by Tsufätu Ayioangä, April 02, 2010, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikranä mokri

Quote"show, don't tell"

thats a very very anti-Stanislavsky thing to say (if you do drama). And there are hundreds of ways to do a profile yours is one way where you give a very through back story.

i personally think that all you need is to do a basic history and then there is allot of lenience as to the direction you want to take your character. so for example you say your chracters mother died when he was young, then you could at some point in the RP make reference to this and in one wall post complete a huge amount of character development.

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

ShadowMainZERO

"Anti-Stanislavsky"? Yeah, the site where I learned how to RP gave characters one of three possible grades and the better your backstory the better your grade was. I can't think of a way so, how does having your character telling someone about his mothers death translate to character development? Unless said character never got over it and the events they are going through I'd reminiscent of their mothers death.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Niwantaw

*running away from a palulukan*
"quick get on the ATV!"
"no! my mother was killed driving one of those things so i will not get on one"
*climbs into a golf buggy instead*
*gets eaten*

i think if you thought about it more you could do something that is  a lot more in-depth
Only mostly AWOL.

Ikranä mokri

QuoteI can't think of a way so, how does having your character telling someone about his mothers death translate to character development? Unless said character never got over it and the events they are going through I'd reminiscent of their mothers death.

a character who is very closed towards certain people (or a type of people) opening up to this person and giving some of their back story and reasoning is a small view into their psyche so you almost see what makes the character tick and what sort of bonds he is likely to make with people, to me that is character development

Quote"Anti-Stanislavsky"?
Stanislavsky was a drama practicioner who was all about "Be, dont show" at least i hope he was otherwise i have failed my drama exam!

Quotegave characters one of three possible grades and the better your backstory the better your grade was
which in my view is a little unfair, you may not be accepted into all roleplays (like SOP, i was rejected 3 times) but you keep trying until you have a character profile that works which has a good balance of good and bad points. and you can take your flashbacks and compact that into history which makes it shorter and sometimes easier to read.

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

ShadowMainZERO

Quote from: Ikranä mokri on April 08, 2010, 02:40:55 AM
QuoteI can't think of a way so, how does having your character telling someone about his mothers death translate to character development? Unless said character never got over it and the events they are going through I'd reminiscent of their mothers death.

a character who is very closed towards certain people (or a type of people) opening up to this person and giving some of their back story and reasoning is a small view into their psyche so you almost see what makes the character tick and what sort of bonds he is likely to make with people, to me that is character development

Oh. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Quote"Anti-Stanislavsky"?
Stanislavsky was a drama practicioner who was all about "Be, dont show" at least i hope he was otherwise i have failed my drama exam!

Oh. The way I see it is this: If a Character A asks Character B about his and Character B just says, "My mother died when I was young," is bad. Unless A: It isn't important to the character or B: You will tell them later. What I would do is show the incedent with a flashback. It allows the reader to see exactly what happened and how Character B felt throught the entire thing. Thus both the reader and Character A can bond with Character B more.

This is why I am not really going to talk about my characters past in my story The Gatekeeper. Instead, when the subject is brought up I will reveal a little bit and leave the rest to an awesome prequile(sp).

Quotegave characters one of three possible grades and the better your backstory the better your grade was
which in my view is a little unfair, you may not be accepted into all roleplays (like SOP, i was rejected 3 times) but you keep trying until you have a character profile that works which has a good balance of good and bad points. and you can take your flashbacks and compact that into history which makes it shorter and sometimes easier to read.

Well, it is also based on the other catagories. Espesially now. I had a lot of trouble with it first since I wasn't used to revealing everything about the character at once. I still don't. At least for my SL RP anyway.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Any news about the RP-school?
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Eana Ketuwong

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on April 02, 2010, 12:19:27 PM
I would like to join an active fresh and exciting Pandorian roleplay.  Any out there?
Oh yes. www.livenavi.forumotion.com

Needs new members and is brand new. Have fun out there.
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

Niwantaw

Quote from: Ean Kewong on March 29, 2011, 07:53:52 PM
Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on April 02, 2010, 12:19:27 PM
I would like to join an active fresh and exciting Pandorian roleplay.  Any out there?
Oh yes. www.livenavi.forumotion.com

Needs new members and is brand new. Have fun out there.

/necropost

The last post in this thread was nearly a year ago. Check the dates!
Only mostly AWOL.