A question about energy for you science types

Started by Seze Mune, February 25, 2013, 12:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

I've been meaning to get back to this, but there have been so many things which have interposed themselves. Pardon for the necropost, but I think it's more of a resurrection.  If not, we'll let it die a natural death instead of allowing it to meander zombielike through the Great Cloud in the Sky.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 08, 2013, 03:07:17 AM

Quote from: Seze Mune
(note: it is the electrical charge on a flower which attracts bees, not the color so much, btw, Mr. Feynman   ;) )

Can you sense the electrical charge on a flower (And I have trouble believing this, considering the sophisticated compound eyes on a bee.)? But maybe bees can. Bees can also see ultraviolet light, which we can't. But you can measure electric charge or image in ultraviolet light with suitable instruments. And what you 'see' when you do this can be very beautiful.

There is nothing at all wrong with 'romantic thinking'. I guess the point Clarke and I are trying to make, is there is more than one way to look at the world around us, and most of these ways are equally valid.

Right, there are multiple facets here, and I think to limit ourselves to one way is impractical in the long run.  At least it is for me. One does have to continually prioritize the use of one's templates - or 'triage' might be more appropriate in some cases.  Dealing with one's children on a purely scientifically logical level might leave the children with less than warm impressions of their parents. Humans were not meant to be machines, so there must be the development of healthy emotions.  One goes to the doctor to be treated scientifically, yet the best doctors develop a good emotional rapport with their patients, resulting in better health outcomes.

As for the bees, "Bees' ability to sense and respond to plants' electrical fields "is a remarkable finding, " says Mark Winston, a biologist at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C., and the author of a book on bee biology.

It represents another method "by which bees perceive the world around them and it adds another wonderful story that continues to deepen our understanding the co-evolved relationship between bees and flowers," he says.

For 30 years, some researchers have posited that electrostatic charges that can build up on bees play a role in the bees taking up and transporting pollen – a kind of small-scale static cling. They also found that the voltage associated with a flower changes as it's pollinated.

But the experiments by Dr. Robert and colleagues suggest that electricity represents a medium for conveying information between flower and bee before the bee lands.

Previous studies had indicated that bees carry a positive electrical charge with voltages that in some cases can reach as high as 200 volts. They build up the charge as they fly. With their roots in the earth, plants tend to carry a negative charge.
"

Source: Bees use the 'force' to choose the best flowers, study finds 

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Very cool, ma Seze Mune, and that makes a lot of sense.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Clarke

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 29, 2013, 08:48:48 PM
Right, there are multiple facets here, and I think to limit ourselves to one way is impractical in the long run.  At least it is for me. One does have to continually prioritize the use of one's templates - or 'triage' might be more appropriate in some cases.  Dealing with one's children on a purely scientifically logical level might leave the children with less than warm impressions of their parents. Humans were not meant to be machines, so there must be the development of healthy emotions.  One goes to the doctor to be treated scientifically, yet the best doctors develop a good emotional rapport with their patients, resulting in better health outcomes.
There is nothing illogical or irrational about emotions. Listening to emotions that lead you to the wrong conclusion is the illogical part. ;)

Mesireatu

Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! 'Energy can't be destryed or created, but it only can be transformed'. This is according to the energy principe. Kìyevame ulte Eywa ayngahu
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Il Sogno Viandante on January 09, 2014, 08:05:19 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo!
'Energy can't be destroyed or created, but it only can be transformed'. This is according to the energy principle.

Yes, but energy is also tied to mass.  And while energy cannot be "lost" on a universal level, the transformation (with mass) continues towards an unusable base state where life cannot exist because it cannot consume or transform energy to sustain itself, in other words, maximum entropy effect.  From physics, this is defined as universal thermodynamic equilibrium.

While this suggests that even spiritual energy may cease at what is labeled as the end of universal time, I would never suggest that.  Because all physics and math are based upon our observations and plane of existence.  They are the result of humans (Earth) trying to explain, define and rationalize everything around them.

Clarke

They apply (approximately) everywhere, though.  ;)