Author Topic: Ancient flying reptile named after 'Avatar' creature  (Read 392 times)

Offline Tìtstewan

• LearnNavi Zeykoyu
  • Toruk Makto
  • Palulukan Makto
  • de Germany
  • Ke lu oeru kea krr krrtalun!
    • My YouTube Channel
Ancient flying reptile named after 'Avatar' creature
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
Yeah!! :D :D

By this Na'vi news by Vamwataw:
I need to share this news related to Avatar: http://fmawnrrta.weebly.com/fmawn/ayikran-fkeytok-rrtami
(mentioned by Tirea Aean)

Here the news on Reuters

Some of the most visually stunning sequences from director James Cameron's blockbuster movie "Avatar" involved graceful flying creatures that were ridden by blue human-like beings facing ecological destruction on a moon called Pandora.
It turns out that an animal very similar to those "Avatar" creatures, called Ikran, actually did exist here on Earth long ago.
Scientists on Thursday announced the discovery of fossils in China of a new species of flying reptile called a pterosaur that lived 120 millions years ago and so closely resembled the creatures from the 2009 film that they named it after them.
It is called Ikrandraci avatar, meaning "Ikran dragon" from "Avatar." And this pterosaur is noteworthy for more than just its resemblance to a movie creature.
The scientists said it appears that Ikrandraci avatar had a throat pouch similar to that of a pelican. It probably fed on small fish from freshwater lakes, flying low over the water and catching prey by skimming its lower jaw into the water, they said. It may have stored the fish in the pouch, they added.
This Cretaceous Period pterosaur boasted an unusual blade-like crest on its lower jaw like the one on the movie creatures.
"The head structure is similar in this pterosaur to the Ikran in 'Avatar,'" said one of the researchers, paleontologist Xiaolin Wang of the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology, Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.

[More here...]

-| Dict-Na'vi.com | Na'viteri Files | FAQ | LM | Puk Pxaw 'Rrta | Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Offline archaic

• Palulukan Makto
  • Trying again with the language.
Re: Ancient flying reptile named after 'Avatar' creature
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:04 pm »
Oh wow!  :D 8)

Thank you for posting!
The Dragon Affair my current fanfic - now complete.

The Dragons Clutch, my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Machine, my last Avatar related fanfic.

Offline `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

• Palulukan Makto
  • us United States
  • Palulukan alu Kenya 06/23/1996 - 01/15/2017
    • The Lionlamb website
Re: Ancient flying reptile named after 'Avatar' creature
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
Tewti What an honor!!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, or the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi