asteroid 99942 Apophis/2004 MN4

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, August 01, 2011, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

The solution is to do nothing. The asteroid very very probably will not hit the earth. Even if it did it wouldn't be "the whole Earth will blow up and life as we know it will end" thing.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on August 06, 2011, 09:01:04 PM
The solution is to do nothing. The asteroid very very probably will not hit the earth. Even if it did it wouldn't be "the whole Earth will blow up and life as we know it will end" thing.

If it hits, many lives will be lost, definitely if it hits the Pacific or the Atlantic

Raiden

Quote from: Night Raider on August 01, 2011, 07:32:39 PM
Yeah, there's always a chance something will hit us. Anyway, I hope they can film 5 more Avatar sequels by then.

Ahahahaha

That made my day.

Well, if we do get hit by an asteroid, I'd rather get hit by an asteroid named "Apophis" than by one named "Cottontail" or "Creampuff".
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on August 07, 2011, 04:56:46 AM
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on August 06, 2011, 09:01:04 PM

If it hits, many lives will be lost, definitely if it hits the Pacific or the Atlantic

If JC decides to dump Karyu Pawl and use gibberish or "ASG Na'vi" for Avatar sequels, much much much more lives will be lost to the sequels than to Apophis.

Seriously though, Apophis' collision is about as likely as Pandora existing in real life ... I suddenly hope that the chance for Apophis' collision is 100% so we can have Pandora... :'( :'( :'(

Äteya

From serious stuff to talking about Avatar, what a strange forum. ;D

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Äteya on August 07, 2011, 01:53:33 PM
From serious stuff to talking about Avatar, what a strange forum. ;D
Nothing is more serious than Avatar here.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

This is what I found about asteroid Apophis with the program "Impact Earth"(http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth)

Atmospheric Entry:
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 63700 meters = 209000 ft
The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition.
The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 28.7 km/s = 17.8 miles/s
The impact energy is 1.27 x 10^19 Joules = 3.04 x 10^3 MegaTons.
he broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.991 km by 0.663 km

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.49 x 10^19 Joules = 3.55 x 10^3 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 6.8 x 10^4 years

Global Damages:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundredths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater:
Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.
Transient Crater Diameter: 4.71 km ( = 2.92 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 1.67 km ( = 1.03 miles )
Final Crater Diameter: 5.79 km ( = 3.6 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 502 meters ( = 1650 feet )
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.0758 km^3 ( = 0.0182 miles^3 )
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater, where its average thickness is 4.35 meters ( = 14.3 feet ).

Ejecta:
Little rocky ejecta reaches this site; fallout is dominated by condensed vapor from the projectile.

Seismic Effects:
The major seismic shaking will arrive approximately 56.7 minutes after impact.
Richter Scale Magnitude:  6.9
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 17000 km:

Nothing would be felt. However, seismic equipment may still detect shaking.

Airblast:
The air blast will arrive approximately 14.3 hours after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 46.4 Pa = 0.000464 bars = 0.00659 psi
Max wind velocity: 0.109 m/s = 0.245 mph
Sound Intensity: 33 dB (Easily Heard)

Raiden

I hope it hits the US or China or something, because I don't think any other forms of naturally-ocurring population control will be left by then.

We'll probably cure all the diseases that kill people and then the population will rise even faster. Not much you can do about a giant space rock smashing into some of the post densely populated places in the world.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Raiden on June 16, 2012, 08:22:15 PM
I hope it hits the US or China or something, because I don't think any other forms of naturally-ocurring population control will be left by then.

We'll probably cure all the diseases that kill people and then the population will rise even faster. Not much you can do about a giant space rock smashing into some of the post densely populated places in the world.

According to the map now, it will not impact the U.S or even China
It can possibly impact Kazakhstan's capital Astana with over 700,000 people
the crater Apophis will make will be over 5 km wide, and the seismic effect will do something too

It can also impact in Nicaragua's capital Managua with over 2 million people
or maybe it can impact Venezuela's capital Caracas with 6 million people
it's a small possibility that it can impact the coast of Africa(Senegal, Guinea)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Raiden on June 16, 2012, 08:22:15 PM

The U.S. is far from overpopulated. China and India are great targets though  :D

If you really want to go ahead with your people-reduction strategy, let's start a nuclear war. Yes! A nuclear war! Now!  ;D