Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Looking forward to next year. Will finally experience a total solar eclipse. It will be very visible here in Norway, since the center of the Moon's shadow will pass right off the coast here in Norway :) :D
Next solar eclipse in Europe won't happen again until August in 2026.
I just hope there is not getting any clouds in the way for this one, or i have to wait a long time for the next one, or depends on where in the world i am in about 12 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_March_20,_2015

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Vawmataw on November 23, 2014, 11:34:33 AM
As always, I will miss it.

Did you missed the solar eclipse last month? If so, next one won't come until August in 2017, there you are currently living now.

Vawmataw

QuoteDid you missed the solar eclipse last month?
I did.

Toliman

Yes, this solar eclipse will be observable from place where I live as a partial eclipse (73%) . As total eclipse will be observable from North Sea, Faroe Islands and Svalbard (Spitsbergen). But March weather in central Europe (where I live) is very variable.

Vawmataw

The Sun currently is in Ophiucus. Yes, there are 13 zodiacal constellations.

2900 posts!

Toliman

QuoteThe Sun currently is in Ophiucus. Yes, there are 13 zodiacal constellations.

It's very fun. We have 12 zodiacal signs, but 13 zodiacal constellations. And real position of the Sun is shifted against signs about one month (approximately). Astrology is not science, but this is realy fun. I was born in the Leo sign, but Sun was in the middle of Cancer constellation on this day  ;D.
My favourite joke:
,,If you dissatisfied with your horoscope, you can look on one sign back!" ;D

Vawmataw

If there are 13 constellations, then some people in Sagittarius actually are in Ophiucus.

Moral of the story: LONG LIVE ASTRONOMY!!!

Toliman

QuoteLONG LIVE ASTRONOMY!!!

Yes, this is my words!

Toliman

And there is a real position of the Sun in zodiacal constellations.
(compare with dates from horoscope  ;D)

Aries: 19 April – 13 May
Taurus: 14 May – 19 June
Gemini: 20 June – 20 July
Cancer: 21 July – 9 August
Leo: 10 August – 15 September
Virgo: 16 September – 30 October
Libra: 31 October – 22 November
Scorpius: 23 November – 29 November
Ophiuchus: 30 November – 17 December
Sagittarius: 18 December – 18 January
Capricornus: 19 January – 15 February
Aquarius: 16 February – 11 March
Pisces: 12 March – 18 April

Vawmataw

QuotePisces: 12 March – 18 April
Aries: 19 April – 13 May
Taurus: 14 May – 19 June
Gemini: 20 June – 20 July
Cancer: 21 July – 9 August
Leo: 10 August – 15 September
Virgo: 16 September – 30 October
Libra: 31 October – 22 November
Scorpius: 23 November – 29 November
Ophiuchus: 30 November – 17 December
Sagittarius: 18 December – 18 January
Capricornus: 19 January – 15 February
Aquarius: 16 February – 11 March
Better ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It looks like Scorpius got shortchanged, and the sun actually spends a considerable amount of time in Ophiuchus. With the ecliptic shifting due to precession, this could really mess up horoscopes. Maybe this is the real reason we have bad luck ;) This table also shows the sun was in Sagittarius when I was born. It should have been Leo ::)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

QuoteWith the ecliptic shifting due to precession, this could really mess up horoscopes. Maybe this is the real reason we have bad luck

Stupid precession! We must wait 26000 years. At this time will be position of the Sun approximately correspond with horoscopes again. ;D

And precession also causes shifting of the celestial poles. At this time is Polaris our north pole star. But arround 3000 years BC Thuban (Alpha Draconis) was north polar star. And arround 7500 AD Alderamin (Alpha Cephei) will be new north polar star. And arround 13800 AD will be very bright star Vega approximately applicable as north polar star.

Shifting of the north celestial pole by precession:

Vawmataw

3000 years ago, the equinox happened in Aries. It corresponds to the horoscope.

Well, I have finally seen the planet Uranus. It was less than 1 degree under the Moon and I could watch it with my telescope.

Question: Which planets have you seen?
I have seen Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus. And you?

Toliman

QuoteQuestion: Which planets have you seen?

I have seen Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. And Pluto, which is not planet since 2006 (visible difficultly only as very little ,,star" by my 12 inch telescope)

In August 2013, I saw all planets during one night :)!

And can you see their moons?

I have seen (on dark sky) moons of Jupiter (Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto,), Saturn (Titan, Rhea, Tethys, Dione, Iapetus, Enceladus,) and Neptune (Triton) by my 12 inch telescope. (but Enceladus and Triton very difficultly) ... and our Moon! ;D

Vawmataw

Ketsukspaw! :o
How much costs your telescope? O.o

Planets:
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus

Moons:
Moon, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan (extremely hard to see through my telescope in a city)

I stargazed a little bit since 2009-10, but I ''actively'' do that since December 30, 2012.

Toliman

QuoteHow much costs your telescope? O.o.

My 12inch dobsonian telescope costed arround 1200 USD (partly my savings and partly gift). It was expensive, but dobsonian telescopes have low price aqainst other types.

12 inch mirror ir big mirror, but I have seen Pluto, Triton and Enceladus on only really dark sky (near city this is impossible). And quality of mirror is also important.

I started with 8 cm (3,14 inch) telescope.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I have seen all the planets, and quite possibly Pluto. There was a time last summer where we had exceptionally good conditions for seeing Pluto, but I cannot say I saw it with certainty. This was with a 16 inch Dob and an exceptionally well collimated 12 inch Dob.

I have seen Jupiter's four easily seen moons, and Titan. I have not spent much time looking for planetary moons. Most of my observing is deep space stuff.

I have an 8 inch Schmitt-Cassegrain 'scope and I just acquired an 8 inch Dobsonian. Due to an uncompromising work schedule, I have not had a chance to try out the Dob. When I get paid for some contract engineering work I am currently doing (and which is taking much of my free time), I will be equipping this 'scope with digital setting circles.

Ma Vamataw, I am really happy to hear you have a 'scope now!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

I also usually observe rather deep space objects. But I like try see small moons if I sometimes observe planets.

Vawmataw

I probably underestimated you both. So seemingly I am the beginner or I'm just not able to go stargazing under dark skies with a telescope.

Quote from: Toliman on December 02, 2014, 05:11:54 PM
I also usually observe rather deep space objects. But I like try see small moons if I sometimes observe planets.
I observe the basic things like the Moon, some space objects, Jupiter and its Moons, Saturn and the ISS, because I rarely leave the urban area.
Also, I don't stargaze often because of the weather and the lack of new objects to observe.