Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 22, 2017, 10:31:33 AM
I've also observed a couple of objects, such as IC 4665, NGC 6633, IC 4756, NGC 457, the Double Cluster, M3 and NGC 7160. I think I've also seen a few components of Melotte 111 with the naked eye, but next time I'll use my telescope. In addition, I can also add two more objects to my collection as I have seen M23 and M34 for the first time.
Looks that you had really good sky condition. If you saw a few components of Melotte 111, you would be able to see (faintly) the brightest parts of summer milky way even on your urban sky (my experience)

Several last night I shortly observed too. I observed only nebulae because I tested my new O-III filter and compared it with my two current UHC filters.
I observed nebulae M8, M20, M17, M16, Veil nebula, Pelican Nebula, North America Nebula and planetary nebulae M57 and M27.

Nebulae were through O-III mostly slightly fainter than in the UHC, but O-III shows slightly more contrast and dark detail than UHC.

NGC 6960-95 Veil Nebula through O-III: It was totally amazing and incomparable whit view through UHC. All parts of this nebula were super bright and there were visible many details and beautiful filamentary structure. This nebula through O-III was really one of the best which I seen ever.

NGC7000 North America Nebula through O-III: nebula is fainter than in UHC however through O-III there were better visible nice and interesting details as "spine line" on east side of "Mexico" and some faint dark detail

Hmm ... I start consider about H-beta filter too.

Vawmataw

I just saw I made a mistake in my last message: It's M24 not M34.

By the way, if one day I find a way to observe under dark skies, will I be able to spot some nebulae, which I can't do now except for M42?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 23, 2017, 09:55:13 PM
I just saw I made a mistake in my last message: It's M24 not M34.
Yeah, M24 - my favourite star cloud. What you was able to see from this object?

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 23, 2017, 09:55:13 PM
By the way, if one day I find a way to observe under dark skies, will I be able to spot some nebulae, which I can't do now except for M42?
Yes.
If you can see M42 on urban sky, you should be able also M8 Lagoon Nebula - is very bright too but there is problem with very low declination of this object. However this nebula is easy visible by naked eye on dark sky.

On dark sky you would be able see through little telescope at least this:
M17 Swan nebula (bright almost as M8)
NGC7000 North America nebula (visible quite good already through little binocular)
M57 Ring Nebula
M27 Dumbbell Nebula
M1 Crab Nebula
NGC2237 Rosette Nebula (his the brightest north-west part)
+
maybe also NGC6992 (east bow of Veil Nebula)

Vawmataw

I saw NGC 6530 but not the nebula.

QuoteWhat you was able to see from this object?
Obviously, just the stars in it.

Vawmataw

I've decided to build a pinpoint camera to view the eclipse. I just hope that I won't be scheduled that day and that it won't be cloudy.

Vawmataw

I'd like to call out to everybody who stargazes. A new satellite called Mayak has been launched recently by a Russian amateur group. It's a very, very small satellite, but apparently it will be bright. So if we can report the observations of Mayak here, it would be great. It will be visible in Reno, Prague and Quebec. Predictions are available on heavens-above (the magnitudes are inaccurate for now).

Toliman

Yeah, I know about it and I plan observe it.

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 19, 2017, 10:35:15 AM
So if we can report the observations of Mayak here, it would be great.
Sure, I will post about it here.

Toliman

I shortly observed night sky before two days, but sky conditions were not good and sky was partly cloudy so I observed only few bright open clusters (in Cepheus and Cassiopeia), two glogular clusters (M13 and M92) and few double stars (Albireo, Epsilon Lyrae, Delta Cephei).

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 19, 2017, 10:35:15 AM
A new satellite called Mayak has been launched recently by a Russian amateur group. It's a very, very small satellite, but apparently it will be bright. So if we can report the observations of Mayak here, it would be great.
Well, I planned try observe it (two passes were visible) but not successfuly because clouds :( Last night was totally cloudy so again nothing.

BlueHusky2154

I observed M31, M57, M16, M20, Jupiter and its four big moons, Saturn, and various other notable night sky features last night. I've been stargazing lately with my Celestron AstroMaster 114 Newtonian reflector telescope. Light pollution is ok where I live, but I can easily drive to a dark area.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on July 21, 2017, 12:11:50 PM
I observed M31, M57, M16, M20, Jupiter and its four big moons, Saturn, and various other notable night sky features last night. I've been stargazing lately with my Celestron AstroMaster 114 Newtonian reflector telescope. Light pollution is ok where I live, but I can easily drive to a dark area.
Yay, you started with stargazing? Welcome into astronomy :)
Can you see Milky way from place where you live?

Toliman

Satellite Mayak observed right now :) Despite bad conditions it was easily visible.
Max brightness of it was around 0 mag.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on July 21, 2017, 06:07:35 PM
Satellite Mayak observed right now :) Despite bad conditions it was easily visible.
Max brightness of it was around 0 mag.
Thank you for your report!
That is good news for the stargazers community.

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Toliman on July 21, 2017, 12:17:19 PM
Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on July 21, 2017, 12:11:50 PM
Yay, you started with stargazing? Welcome into astronomy :)
Can you see Milky way from place where you live?
I've done it a little here and there, but I'm starting to really get into it now. I can't go out tonight because the smoke from wildfires is pretty bad and the mosqitoes don't help either. And yes, I can see the Milky Way where I live. I can easily take a 15 minute drive to a very dark area.
My life summarized.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

We gad our first night free of smoke tonight in more than a week, and good conditions for astronomy. I did a public event for our planetarium, from a badly light polluted and horizon limited spot just outside the planetarium. We were able to look at Jupiter, Saturn, M13, M21, M57, M81 and Alberio. There was a child present, who even though was only 6 or 7 years of age, knew an amazing amount of astronomy (not all of it accurate, but some remarkably accurate). He wanted to look at some individual stars, even though there isn't much to see. He imagined he was seeing solar flares and the corona on Arcturus. All in all, one of the better nights of public astronomy I have done in a while.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Txantsan that your public astro-event was good :)

Today I observed sun through telescope with solar filter, but nothing interesting was visible - only one very little sunspot.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Toliman on July 22, 2017, 08:08:36 AM

Today I observed sun through telescope with solar filter, but nothing interesting was visible - only one very little sunspot.

White light filter, I'm assuming? Do you have, or have access to an H-Alpha solar 'scope?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 22, 2017, 01:49:18 PM
Quote from: Toliman on July 22, 2017, 08:08:36 AM

White light filter, I'm assuming? Do you have, or have access to an H-Alpha solar 'scope?

Yes, I have white light filter.
I don't have own H-alpha telescope but I am able obtain acces to H-alpha telescope on one our observatory.

Vawmataw

Vawmataw

Not the most intelligent idea when you gotta get up early, but I stargazed. I needed that moment of the summer when you just take the telescope out and enjoy a night sky. Even though there was the visit of some clouds, they didn't really disturb the party as they were discreet and fast.

I began with Jupiter and Saturn as they were up. Of course all the 4 galilean moons were there, lined up almost perfectly.
As for the satellites, I saw the ISS at almost 11pm (I knew then it was time to go home) as well as a couple of sats crossing the sky. I also saw two meteors of modest magnitudes and split the double star ε Lyr with my eyes.

Finally, I made an observation of a couple of summer objects, such as M11, M13, M25, M29, IC 4665 and IC 4756. I also observed my classics: NGC 457, NGC 869 and NGC 884.

BlueHusky2154

Last night the smoke was so bad that I could safely stare at the sun through my 5-inch 'scope.
Tonight I saw the ISS pass above at -5 magnitude.
The smoke caused stars near the horizon to appear dim, mainly in Scorpius, Sagittarius, and sadly Andromeda.

(I'm not new to astronomy so I know my stuff, I'm just new to this thread.)
My life summarized.