Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

I've ordered a kit that includes a 65mm solar filter, solar glasses and a booklet about the eclipse. All of that for $40. The 65mm is a bit too big for my camera and too small for my big telescope, but I'll deal with it. Actually is there any way I can stick the filter to the telescope even with the missing 5 mm?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 09, 2017, 10:16:38 AM
Actually is there any way I can stick the filter to the telescope even with the missing 5 mm?
Hmm ... so you will have 65mm solar filter and aperture of your telescope is 70mm, I guess.
Which type of filter it is? Can you post image? (maybe I would have some ideas ...)

Vawmataw

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 09, 2017, 12:09:21 PM
http://maisonastronomie.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/eclipsesmartdeluxe.jpg
Looks as folium filter fixed in paper hoop, I guess. According to image it looks that hoop would be bigger than 70mm.
It would be possible relatively easy to stick on your telescope, I think.

Vawmataw

I'm watching a Youtube video and it seems that the photo filter looks exactly like this and it's not a package with a filter. The tube of the telescope has a diameter of almost 100mm so it won't enter the tube.

Btw the hunt for Mayak is over. The reason why I couldn't see it is because:
QuoteThe satellite was launched successfully in July 2017, but has failed to deploy its reflectors, either due to a manufacturing fault or because of a problem during separation from the launch vehicle. There are no plans for a replacement satellite.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 10, 2017, 10:48:04 PM
Btw the hunt for Mayak is over. The reason why I couldn't see it is because:
QuoteThe satellite was launched successfully in July 2017, but has failed to deploy its reflectors, either due to a manufacturing fault or because of a problem during separation from the launch vehicle. There are no plans for a replacement satellite.
Ah, so now its all explained ...

But one question still remain ... what I saw at night 21/22.7.? ???
Quote from: Toliman on July 21, 2017, 06:07:35 PM
Satellite Mayak observed right now :) Despite bad conditions it was easily visible.
Max brightness of it was around 0 mag.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 11, 2017, 02:16:42 AM
But one question still remain ... what I saw at night 21/22.7.? ???
Quote from: Toliman on July 21, 2017, 06:07:35 PM
Satellite Mayak observed right now :) Despite bad conditions it was easily visible.
Max brightness of it was around 0 mag.
Given the information available (19:07 = 01:07 CEST) it could be the ISS.
It also happens that some objects appear brighter than predicted.

Toliman

^ hmm ... I am still not sure :-\

ISS - I think about it too, but direction of pathway of that object was a bit unlike to ISS ...

QuoteIt also happens that some objects appear brighter than predicted.
Yes, this is really true.

Vawmataw

Toliman

No Perseids this year because clouds :(

Before one hour, there was partly cloudy sky so I tried observe sun, but no sunspots. Solar activity is now very low.

Looks interesting
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exoplanet/id327702034?mt=8

Vawmataw

I'll try the Perseids tonight, but I've seen 4 so far this year.

Vawmataw

1 hour and a half of observation, only four meteors. But well, the night sky is beautiful.

Toliman

But you was able to see at least few pieces ;)

I had cloudy sky at night yesterday too :(

Vawmataw

Tonight's very, very late observation (it's almost 2am):

NGC 457, Double Cluster, M34, M45 through the telescope as well as planet Uranus.

Toliman

You are lucky! Weather don't like me last time  :(

I was able only observe Sun during day but night was almost always cloudy last time ...
(but Sun was interesting - nice group of sunspots)

Toliman

This night was interesting - partly cloudy sky at evening, short but strong storm with strong rain after midnight (wonderful lightnings) and very quickly change to clear sky during 30 minutes, so I had 2 hours for astronomy finally!

Thanks rain air was wery pure so sky conditions were very good despite a bit humid air.

I observed many star clusters in Perseus (Double Cluster, M34, NGC1528, NGC1245 + few smaller clusters) and Auriga (M36-38, NGC2281 + many smaller cluster here), several nebulae in Cassiopeia (Pacman Nebula, Soul Nebula, Heard Nebula - through UHC all nice) and also Andromeda and Triangulum Galaxy (nice was nebula NGC604 in M33 and dust lines in M31).
+ also Uranus

After these two hours, clouds come again ...

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 27, 2017, 09:45:09 AM
I observed many star clusters in Perseus (Double Cluster, M34, NGC1528, NGC1245 + few smaller clusters) and Auriga (M36-38, NGC2281 + many smaller cluster here), several nebulae in Cassiopeia (Pacman Nebula, Soul Nebula, Heard Nebula - through UHC all nice) and also Andromeda and Triangulum Galaxy (nice was nebula NGC604 in M33 and dust lines in M31).
*astrojealousy intensifies* :P
I have trouble finding M33 unfortunately.
(I need to have my driving license and seek dark skies)

QuoteAfter these two hours, clouds come again ...
Better than no time. ;)

Yesterday I took out the telescope for observing Jupiter and the Moon. Now Jupiter is viewable only before the sky gets dark so it's almost time to say goodbye. The Moon crescent shows neat details when being observed through the telescope. Silly me didn't observe the deep sky objects.

I woke up at 5:15 AM because I had to go to work and I did some naked-eye observation. I spotted Sirius and found Orion despite of the brightness of the sky. The big moment of luck was when I observed the mag -7.4 iridium flare accidentally as it was passing by Alpha Arietis.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 27, 2017, 03:23:26 PM
QuoteAfter these two hours, clouds come again ...
Better than no time. ;)
Yeah, totally true. This was my first observation after longer time so I am really glad for these two hours of clear sky :)

Yesterday I took out the telescope for observing Jupiter and the Moon. Now Jupiter is viewable only before the sky gets dark so it's almost time to say goodbye.
Yeah,true. Now it's really time to say goodbye to Jupiter ;D

The big moment of luck was when I observed the mag -7.4 iridium flare accidentally as it was passing by Alpha Arietis.
Nice :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yeah, Jupiter really is getting low in the sky now. I doubt I will observe it again this season. But I had lots of nice views of it at the Lassen Astronomy Festival and the Oregon Star Party.

Ma Vamataw, M33 is a big, bright object, but has low surface brightness. The best advice I can give you is dark skies, the right eyepiece and a little patience. It is bright enough that I have accidentally stumbled across it a couple of times when looking for other stuff. There really isn't a filter that makes it easier, but maybe a light pollution reduction filter. It is said you can spot M33 quite easily in binoculars due to its big size, but I have never tried.

Last Saturday evening, I did about an hour of impromptu observing with my little 4.5 inch (114 mm) 'Starblast' reflector. That little 'scope is so 'fast', I was having to use my 7 mm eyepiece (shortest focal length I have) to get even a reasonably decent view of Saturn. But with a lower power eyepiece, it was easy to find bright deep sky objects, especially in Scorpius and Sagittarius. For what is essentially a child's beginner telescope, it is a great little 'scope at a bargain price, and puts even the best eyepieces to the test!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 29, 2017, 04:37:37 PM
It is said you can spot M33 quite easily in binoculars due to its big size, but I have never tried.
Yes, it's true - I tried it several times (various sky conditions).
On dark sky, M33 is very easily visible through little binocular as relatively big and bright spot and M33 is visible through little binocular as bigger faint spot (faint, but good visible) even on not too dark sky.