Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on October 06, 2017, 04:28:34 PM
;D
We should also have a warning panel that mentions the lights from the cars and the houses.
Yeah, true ;D

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on October 06, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
I need that. Especially at my house where I'll be out at 11PM staring into my telescope and my sister comes outside with the spotlight and asks "What are you doing?"
This I know too ;D
And for now, when I stargazing on one dark place close to one forrest, there are huntsmans which regard me as poacher sometimes ;D

Ertew

Nice sign. Remind me this one: "WARNING To Avoid Injury Don't Tell Me How To Do My Job".

Astronomer's dream  ;D
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Vawmataw

Summary of the night: ISS, Iridium flare, (7) Iris...
Then NGC 457, NGC 752, NGC 869/884, NGC 6633, M2, M13, M15, M34, M92, Uranus and Neptune
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Nice objects to observe.
Looks that few next nights would be good for astronomy here :)

Just found this:

Astronomers discover a ring around egg-shaped dwarf planet Haumea

Astronomers have found a ring of particles surrounding a small, distant space rock at the edge of our Solar System. The ring encircles a strange world called Haumea, a dwarf planet that's shaped a bit like a squashed egg. Haumea is one of just five officially recognized dwarf planets in the Solar System, but it's the only one we know of to have its very own ring.

Although Haumea is unique among its peers, this isn't the first time a ring has been found around a small body like this in our Solar System. In 2014, this same group of astronomers said that they had found two thin rings around a smaller, minor planet called Chariklo that orbits between Jupiter and Neptune. The discovery completely surprised the astronomy community. Up until that point, only the gas giants in our Solar System — Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, and Uranus — were known to have rings. ...

more here:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/11/16453478/haumea-dwarf-planet-ring-formation-occultation

https://www.space.com/38432-dwarf-planet-haumea-has-rings.html

Toliman

There were wxcellent sky conditions before moonrise so I stargazed few hours before moonrise.

I observed many nebulae in Cygnus (North America, Pelican and Veil Nebula) - I tried use for it various nebulae filters (UHC, O-III, H-beta) and compare it. It was nice thanks excellent sky conditions - expecially Veil Nebula is totally amazing through O-III when sky conditions are excellent. I also observed planetary nebulae M57 and M27 (M27 was very nice through UHC and O-III filters)

I also observed globular clusters M2 and M15 + a lot of open clusters in Cygnus, Cepheus, Cassiopeia, Perseus and Auriga (I observed mainly bright clusters like Double cluster or M36-38 but I also tried find few little and faint clusters which I never seen until now)

BlueHusky2154

Last night was great. M13 looked great after I cleaned my telescope's optics.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Vawmataw

M13 is a cotton ball for me RIP

Quote from: Toliman on October 15, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
I also observed planetary nebulae M57 and M27 (M27 was very nice through UHC and O-III filters)
I miss M27. I haven't seen it since my star party in 2014.

Gib clear skies please

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on October 15, 2017, 07:31:33 PM
Last night was great. M13 looked great after I cleaned my telescope's optics.
Yeah, cleaning of all optical components sometimes can help.
Do you able see any stars in M13 through your telescope?

BlueHusky2154

Actually, yes I did. I was able to make out some individual stars in M13 as tiny white specks. My telescope is only 4.5"/114mm in size.
My life summarized.

Vawmataw

The cold is coming back, guys!

My program for tonight: Double Cluster, NGC 457, M22, M24 and (7) Iris.

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on October 16, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
Actually, yes I did. I was able to make out some individual stars in M13 as tiny white specks. My telescope is only 4.5"/114mm in size.
I also miss this from my 2014 star party. It was like microscopic glitter.

BlueHusky2154

It's getting cold here as well. I look forward to observing winter wonders like M42 while enduring the cold Montana winter.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on October 16, 2017, 08:28:28 PM
It's getting cold here as well. I look forward to observing winter wonders like M42 while enduring the cold Montana winter.
Yeah, same here ... wonders of winter sky.
I look forward especially to detailed observation of Orion and Rosette nebulae through various nebulae filter.

archaic

Quote from: Vawmataw on October 16, 2017, 06:55:27 PM
The cold is coming back, guys!
Yeah, it'll do that.

On the plus side, it does make for longer observing opportunities.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on October 18, 2017, 03:05:52 PM
On the plus side, it does make for longer observing opportunities.
Yeah, true ... but sky must be clear (it's sometimes problem in winter, at least for my place)

BlueHusky2154

My life summarized.

Toliman

I observed Sun right now through holes between clouds but nothing interesting on the Sun now - just one sunspot.

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on October 22, 2017, 03:45:28 AM
My picture of M42  :)
Which camera?

Toliman

Quite interesting:

Astronomers Spot First-Known Interstellar "Comet"

Telescopes only picked it up a week ago, but it's likely been traveling through interstellar space for millions of years.

For centuries, skywatchers have chronicled the comings and goings of thousands of comets. Every one of them has come from someplace in our own solar system, either the Kuiper Belt beyond Neptune or the much more distant Oort Cloud at the fringes of the Sun's realm.

But an object swept up just a week ago by observers using the PanSTARRS 1 telescope atop Haleakala on Maui has an extreme orbit — it's on a hyperbolic trajectory that doesn't appear to be bound to the Sun. Preliminary findings, published earlier today by the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center (MPC), suggest that we are witnessing a body that escaped from another star. ...

More here:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/astronomers-spot-first-known-interstellar-comet/

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma TEAgaming, with M13, it looks good in almost any telescope. Its the eyepiece choice that makes most of the difference. Everyone is different, but I find I tend to view globular clusters with an eyepiece that gives me about 150-170X.

In addition to the PANSTARRS comet Toliman mentioned, there is another interesting expected extrasolar comet being watched by astronomers, 96P/Macholz.

Just got a call from a friend. Looks like I'll be observing tonight!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

I recently cleaned my telescope's optics, so that's why it looked so good.
My college is having a star party tomorrow night, and I'm going to be there.
My life summarized.