Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 28, 2017, 09:07:20 PM
I'm going to another star party for the Geminids in December.
Nice, I hope that you will have good weather.  Will you observe only Geminids on also some deepsky too?
I would like observe Geminids too, but our typical winter weather ... I must hope.

BlueHusky2154

I have been asked to give the opening PowerPoint presentation before we go to our location, and the main topic is nebulae. We are going out during the Geminids for the extra "Wow!" factor. The Orion Nebula should look great in our 8" Dobsonian.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Vawmataw

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 29, 2017, 10:30:07 AM
I have been asked to give the opening PowerPoint presentation before we go to our location, and the main topic is nebulae. We are going out during the Geminids for the extra "Wow!" factor. The Orion Nebula should look great in our 8" Dobsonian.
You should also check the nebulosity of the Pleiades.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

The Orion Nebula should look great in our 8" Dobsonian.
Yes, Orion Nebula will be great in 8 inch Dobsonian and if you will have really dark sky, Orion Nebula will be absolutely amazing ;) :)
Btw, have you (you or someone from people who participate on your star party) any nebulae filters - it is really great benefit for observation of nebulae.

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Vawmataw on November 29, 2017, 10:35:24 AM
Was never able to see this... :-\

Quote from: Toliman on November 29, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
The Orion Nebula should look great in our 8" Dobsonian.
Yes, Orion Nebula will be great in 8 inch Dobsonian and if you will have really dark sky, Orion Nebula will be absolutely amazing ;) :)
Btw, have you (you or someone from people who participate on your star party) any nebulae filters - it is really great benefit for observation of nebulae.

Orion Nebula looks great in my 4.5", and I will have to see if we can acquire any.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 29, 2017, 10:53:21 AM
Quote from: Vawmataw on November 29, 2017, 10:35:24 AM
Was never able to see this... :-\
Nebulae around stars of Pleiades are quite difficult to observe - you need really dark sky. These nebulae are really quite faint and also can be easily confused with shine around bright stars of Pleiades. I personaly consider this nebulae as test of excellent darkness of night sky.
The brightest from these nebulae is IC1435 in south part of Pleiades (southern from Merope star) but also it is not easy to observation.

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 29, 2017, 10:53:21 AM
Quote from: Toliman on November 29, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
Orion Nebula looks great in my 4.5", and I will have to see if we can acquire any.
These filters are very helpful especially for observation of faint nebulae (many of nebulae are almost invisible without filters) but nebulae filters are useful also for brighter nebulae - for example, when I saw Veil Nebula in Cygnus through O-III filter for first time, I was totally shocked - that difference (with filter x without filter) was just indescribable! ('Eylan Ayfalulukana surely can confirm this). Even in case of super bright Orion Nebula, benefit of nebulae filters is very obvious ;)

BlueHusky2154

My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 29, 2017, 02:07:11 PM
I'll see if I can find one for cheap.
Only disadvantage of these equipment is that quality pieces can be relative expensive however I consider it as very good investment (especially if you like observe nebulae) ;)

Toliman

BlueHusky2154

Based on this logic, there must be someone who changes the big light bulb in the sky at the end of every day.
My life summarized.

Rotobull cz

I would like to have a step ladder of that size.
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on November 30, 2017, 05:04:06 PM
Based on this logic, there must be someone who changes the big light bulb in the sky at the end of every day.
HRH ;D ;D

Sky was partly cloudy tonight, so very short observation before sleeping - nothing great, because moonlight so just Moon surface + several doublestars through holes between clouds (Castor, Eta Cassiopeiae, Gamma Andromedae - nice!!!)

Toliman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The asteroid occultation on Friday night didn't go so well, but primarily due to poor planning. I thought I had allowed enough time to get everything set up. I was wrong. I needed an additional hour. Although I had some minor problems with the StarSense device on this particular telescope, this problem was expected when moving the StarSense camera from one 'scope to another.

I did not get data during the prescribed window, but I did get good data, nonetheless. Everything worked perfectly once everything was set up, and the sky conditions were absolutely gorgeous. Since this was a low probability event anyway, I chalked this one up to a learning experience. (No station close to me observed an occultation, either.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Yeah, good planning is really necessary. However it's good that you did get good data :)

BlueHusky2154

I'm going to another star party on Thursday, for the Geminid meteor shower. The night's topic is nebulae, and I am giving the opening PowerPoint before we head out of town with the scopes.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Good luck, I hope that you will have completely clear sky and many bright meteors. There is still cloudy...
So will you observe any nebulae too during that night?

BlueHusky2154

The meteors should be about 120 per hour, so we are in for a treat.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Hmm ... just looking on prediction of comets for 2018. Looks that we can expect few interesting pieces during second half of next year:

46P/Wirtanen (max. brightness 3.5 mag during December)
21P/Giacobini-Zinner (max. brightness 7.0 mag during September)
38P/Stephan-Oterma (max. brightness 10.0 mag during November)