Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm about a 45 minute drive from decently dark skies, like where we wtore our 24 inch 'scope.

On really cold nights, the sky can be quite decent at home, even in an 'orange' area. My 8 inch go-to 'scope quits working about +10 F (-12 C), Either of the Dobs, as well as the Starblast should work well below that ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 19, 2018, 03:01:00 PM
My 8 inch go-to 'scope quits working about +10 F (-12 C), Either of the Dobs, as well as the Starblast should work well below that ;)
Still remember on my observation at -25°C few years back - all worked good despite this frost but it was really frosty hell ;D

BlueHusky2154

I hate the cold but I don't care as long as I get a good view. Last time I was out, it was basically planet Hoth outside but the air was crisp enough to make out dark nebula portions in the Orion Nebula.  :)
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on January 19, 2018, 11:32:30 PM
I hate the cold but I don't care as long as I get a good view.
Yeah, same here. I am able endure even such big frost (with good winter clothes, of course) if sky conditions are good and sky is clear.
(like that -25°C night - it was first clear night after three totally cloudy months, I remember it was great observation and sky was excellent dark)

Ertew

Switching back from offtopic at AvatarMeet 2018 North America topic.

Quote from: Ertew on January 20, 2018, 09:44:39 AM
How I can check the level of light pollution around my city? I mean real measurements, not just looking at the map.
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html shows orange/red color at city center and yellow at suburban region. That sounds accurate. But on the other hand, a lot of space between nearest cities appears green, almost no blue/gray areas in most of central Europe.

Quote from: Toliman on January 20, 2018, 11:00:00 AM
There can depends on many local conditions.
I know many places (in my country) where night sky looks (a bit) better then it looks on these maps but also many places where night sky is worse in real.

HRH ... looks as good off-topic ... maybe continue in astro-thread?

I found another map.
Some layers of map looks exactly the same as darksitefinder.com while others, especially from 2016 and 2014 have much better background level. Hope ability to witch layers will help someone.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

And also is good check that map is based on actual data - light pollution level still changes through years, unfortunately toward worse :( :( :(

BlueHusky2154

Clear sky is forecast for tonight as well as not bitterly cold. I will observe tonight.
My life summarized.

Toliman

You are lucky! What you will observe?

I can see stars now but sky is not fully transparent - it's worse then usually :( If it will improve I go observe too.

Ertew

Quote from: Toliman on January 20, 2018, 03:40:18 PM
And also is good check that map is based on actual data - light pollution level still changes through years, unfortunately toward worse :( :( :(
Don't cry.
Bring bow, arrows and steel chain. Fix 5m piece of chain to arrow and shoot through HV power lines (or better electricity station). That should create nice short circuit. If You have luck You won't die and create local blackout. Don't forget to paint Your face blue to prevent identification.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Interesting idea ;D

But at honestly, when I see evolution of light pollution level through last 10 years ... looks probably that similar actions will be the only possible way to see reasonable dark sky :(

BlueHusky2154

That's not a bad idea, maybe I should go out in my cheap Jake Sully costume.
"Don't mind me, ma tsmuk. I'm just enjoying these nice dark skies."

Quote from: Toliman on January 21, 2018, 12:01:42 PM
I'm going to see if I can spot M3, and of course I will be galaxy-hunting in Ursa Major and staring into the heart of the Orion Nebula.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Yeah ;D

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on January 21, 2018, 01:45:11 PM
Quote from: Toliman on January 21, 2018, 12:01:42 PM
I'm going to see if I can spot M3, and of course I will be galaxy-hunting in Ursa Major and staring into the heart of the Orion Nebula.
M3 is very Bright globular cluster, it would not be problem (if M3 will be enough high above horizon in your observation time)
Many nice and bright galaxies are also in neighbouring Canes Venatici constellation. And in Ursa Major is my favourite planetary nebula M97 too :)

Have good galaxy-hunting!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I like that alternative light pollution map much better. It shows the pollution level going from almost orange to almost green across the width of my 2 acre property :) You can also pick out where the always-dark-at-night zoo is.

Ma Toliman, what do you like about M97?

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 22, 2018, 04:06:22 PM
Ma Toliman, what do you like about M97?

I like try observe big planetary nebulae even many of these have low surface brightness and can be difficult to observation.
M97 has 3 arcminutes and is not extra bright however is observable without problems and if sky conditions are good I can see his faint green color (yeah, I like that many planetary nebulae can be visible as faint green-blue through bigger telescopes).
+ M97 (Owl Nebula) has interesting structure, there are two darker areas ("owl's eyes") - not easy to observe however when sky conditions are excellent, I am able see these both darker areas.

And as little bonus - there is also galaxy M98 very close to M97. When I use widescreen eyepiece with low magnification, I can see both these objects in one field of view :)

Did you observed this nebula more detailed too?

BlueHusky2154

I was able to spot M51 and M101 galaxies before clouds started moving in.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on January 22, 2018, 11:14:04 PM
I was able to spot M51 and M101 galaxies before clouds started moving in.

Did you able notice hints of spiral arms of M51? Some observers say that it's possible already through 6 inch teklescope (under dark sky, of course).
Through my 12 inch, spiral arms of M51 are good visible.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I haven't spent a lot of time on M97 over the years. But now maybe, I will have to. One thing I learned this summer is a lot of planetaries are teeny tiny, and need a lot of magnification to see much at all. There were a number of these on the Oregon Star Party Intermediate Observer's Challenge. I nailed all of them, but some were challenging, even with a 16 inch 'scope.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 24, 2018, 03:28:03 PM
I haven't spent a lot of time on M97 over the years. But now maybe, I will have to. One thing I learned this summer is a lot of planetaries are teeny tiny, and need a lot of magnification to see much at all. There were a number of these on the Oregon Star Party Intermediate Observer's Challenge. I nailed all of them, but some were challenging, even with a 16 inch 'scope.
Yeah, many planetaries ere really tiny but I really like that little group of bigger planetaries with biggher of at least reasonable surface brightness (M27, M97, Helix + also M57...).
(many of these are big but has low surface brightness so observation is really challenge...)

And M97 really deserve detailed observation :)

BlueHusky2154

I never found much interest in planetaries because of how small they are. I prefer observing clusters and galaxies.
My life summarized.

Toliman

The most impressive planetaries (for me) are M57 and M27 - both have enough size for good observation and both are very bright.
Many planetaries are really quite bright but very little + some others which are big but with very low surface brightness.

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on January 24, 2018, 07:59:16 PM
I prefer observing clusters and galaxies.
I like galaxy-hunting too :)
Do you prefer open clusters or rather globular clusters? (or both)

At last year I like observed dark nebulae (they are often good visible on light background of milky way).