Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 06, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
I'm debating whether to repair or replace it, but replacement is probably the better option. Unfortunately, the commonly available mirror holder is prone to the same problems, so I'm noit sure how permanent of a fix it is. Its not expensive, but has to be custom made for each mirror, so it will take a while to get it,
Yeah, I would decide for replacement too.
I hope that it will be done as is possible.

BlueHusky2154

I had a great observing session on Wednesday night.
The area around Ursa Major was clear, and I observed the galaxies M51, M101, and M109.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toliman

Nice! I like observe bright galaxies in area of Ursa Major and Canes Venatici.

What you was able see in M101 on your sky? This galaxy have nice structure but his surface brightness is quite low (except bright core).

BlueHusky2154

If I looked away, I could see the spiral arms in M101.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on March 10, 2018, 10:10:11 PM
If I looked away, I could see the spiral arms in M101.

I can see spiral arms of M101 good (on dark sky, of course) + also few bright places in spiral arms.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Got the 16 inch 'scope back together, despite the cracked base in the secondary mirror holder. At the moment, the collimation stability is better than it has been for some time (I did identify some things that will need long term improvement, like  new spider).

Now, we'll see if it will survive a 400+ mile trip to southern Nevada. I'll be able to set the 'scope up and leave it set up for a week where I will be staying (weather permitting, a big storm is supposed to go through the area next week). I hope to do a Messier Marathon, as well as plenty of other observing :) :palulukan:

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

I Hope that it will survive your trip and that it will work well.

I still hope to Messier marathon too but forecast is not too good...

BlueHusky2154

Forecast is good for the Messier Marathon.

I did some practice the other night and I was able to make out many Messier objects in my 6" Dobsonian.
I was able to spot some galaxies in Ursa Major (I saw M81/M82 and M97/M108 in the same field of view!)
I aimed my telescope at a seemingly empty area in Virgo and was able to identify many galaxies as I panned around Virgo.
I was able to spot the Leo Triplet in the same field of view!
M51 Whirlpool and NGC 5195 were nearly straight above and were in clear view. M101 was also in clear view.
The Orion Nebula was spectacular, just like always. The Running Man Nebula and Flame Nebula were also visible in Orion.
Various open clusters along the Milky Way were observed to be twinkling in the atmosphere as they started to slide offstage. Very beautiful!
To conclude, I was able to identify the famous Crab Nebula (M1) in Taurus.

It has been one of the best nights I have has in a very long time!
My life summarized.

Toliman

Sounds as really wonderful night!

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on March 16, 2018, 01:10:02 AM
I aimed my telescope at a seemingly empty area in Virgo and was able to identify many galaxies as I panned around Virgo.
Yeah, this is really gorgrous area of spring night sky - there are really a lot of galaxies.
I like observe this area through widescreen eyepiece.

Here is forecast bad :(

Vawmataw

Could I spot some galaxies with a 6" Dobsonian in an urban sky?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 16, 2018, 04:35:52 PM
Could I spot some galaxies with a 6" Dobsonian in an urban sky?
Sure :) (on your urban sky during reasonable sky conditions)

Except bright M31 and M33 you could spot at least also M81+82, bright core of M101, all other Messier's galaxien in Ursa Major, Canes Venatici and Leo, M64 in Coma Berenices and the brightness galaxies of Virgo cluster (M87,M86, M84) and maybe also NGC2403 in Camelopardalis.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on March 16, 2018, 04:49:36 PM
galaxien
German detected :P

Except bright M31 and M33 you could spot at least also M81+82, bright core of M101, all other Messier's galaxien in Ursa Major, Canes Venatici and Leo, M64 in Coma Berenices and the brightness galaxies of Virgo cluster (M87,M86, M84) and maybe also NGC2403 in Camelopardalis.
It seems like I'll make new friends if I ever get a bigger scope.

Toliman

I forgot on also very bright M104 Sombrero Galaxy

Next similarly bright galaxies are M83 in Hydra and NGC253 in Sculptor but these two galaxies have unfortunately very low declination.

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 16, 2018, 04:56:11 PM
galaxien
German detected :P
oops ;D

BlueHusky2154

Ma Vawmataw, my 6" Dobsonian was $269 USD, so you know. It was brand new from Amazon. Here is the link to it on Amazon.
It came in two boxes, one fore the optical tube (which was packaged very nicely and securely) and one for the base and other parts (You will have to assemble it.)

Otherwise, yes, you can see galaxies from a suburban sky if you avoid streetlights. I would say it would be an absolute no in an urban, metropolitan area. Too much light pollution.
They're putting in new LED daylight streetlights in my town and I'm not too happy about it.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on March 16, 2018, 11:43:37 PM
They're putting in new LED daylight streetlights in my town and I'm not too happy about it.
Yeah, this kind of streetlights is really not good :(

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'll add NGC 2903, in Leo to Toliman's list of bright galaxies. That galaxy is favorably placed right now.

They are putting in some LED street lights near me, along the freeway that passes 150 meters behind my house. The bad: broad spectrum light. The good: they project most of their light down, so they don't contribute much directly to view (the freeway is about 10 meters lower in elevation than I am).The old high pressure sodium lights they replace were worse in this respect. However, I know they scatter some light upwards from reflection off the road.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 17, 2018, 05:14:55 PM
I'll add NGC 2903, in Leo to Toliman's list of bright galaxies. That galaxy is favorably placed right now.
True, I forgot.
Similarly bright galaxy is also NGC3115 in Sextans.

Vawmataw

So tonight I observed the Moon, Mercury and Venus. Here is one of the pictures I took. The solar system has decided to tell time.

I also stargazed with my telescope. The objects I saw were M34, M35, M41, M42, M45, M47, NGC 457, 869, 884, 1647, 1981, 2169, 2244 and 2264.

BlueHusky2154

The clouds moving through my area throughout the past few days ruined my Messier Marathon plans on Saturday. Thanks, nature.  >:(
However, the forecast is clear for both Monday and Tuesday night. I'll see what I can do then.  ;)
I certainly won't get all 110, but definitely a significant portion of them.

Meanwhile....
I purchased a small spiral notebook for recording my observations. Blue cover, we all know why. It will be slowly filled with descriptions of what I see as well as the time, date, place, and conditions.
I have also set up one of my old computers to constantly run the SETI@Home project.
The new LED streetlights in my town are exceedingly bright and are placed in unnecessary locations. For example, a few parking lots that go unused at night are lit by several of these streetlights, as well as many residential areas that see very little traffic at night, maybe the occasional car or hardcore jogger passing though from time to time. It seems like we're trying to ward off evil spirits or something with the sky-ruining power of excessive light pollution.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Here no conditions for Messier marathon too but night sky was surprisingly clear after midnight so I observed at least some deepsky during few hours after midnight.

I observed mainly galaxies in Virgo cluster (all Messier's galaxies here + some NGC), bright galaxies in Ursa Major and Canes Venatici, planetary nebulae M97 and M57 and globurar clusters M3, M53, M13, M92 and M56.

And also Jupiter.

It was quite good, especially all observed globulars were really spectacular. Planetary nebukla M97 was interesting through UHC and O-III filters. M57 was spectacular as always. Area arround M84 and M84 galaxies is beautifull too - many small NGC galaxies around.

Good images! @Vawmataw