Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Vawmataw

Toliman

I see noting again

But if you have at least 5 or 6 cm telescope, you can see Trapezium star as 4 stars. As one star is visible by naked eye (on darker sky).

Toliman

I had next nice observation last night. First half of night was cloudy with rain, but forecast and satellite images gaves a hope for change. Before 1:00 am clouds started disappear and I started with preparation on way to my observation place...

So I started observation at 2:00 am. Sky was totally clear. First hour I observed interesting open clusters in Auriga (M 36, M 37, M 38...) and Monoceros (M 50, NGC 2264...) Interesting is NGC 2264 Christmas Tree, which realy likes as a christmas tree (observing of this cluster on christmas is almost my christmas tradition ;D)

Afther this, I observed mainly galaxies in Ursa Major and Canes Venatici. The most beautiful was M 51 Whirlpool Galaxy (NGC 5194+5195). It's two colliding galaxies. Nice spiral arms of M 51 was goodly perceptible including arm which connect both galaxies ... absolutely fantastic!!!  Nice were also galaxies M 81, M 82 and M 94.

I also observed quasar 3C273 in Virgo. Is visible only as very little ,,star", but is totally the further object which I observed (distance 2.5 billion light years). In Virgo I observed also my favourite M 104 Sombrero Galaxy. His structure is realy like to sombrero (or also UFO ;D).
Charakteristic powder belt in his plane was goodly visible.

On end I observed some double stars in spring constellations. Mizar (Ursa Major), Cor Caroli (Canes Venatici), Izar and Alkalurops (Bootes), Algieba (Leo) and Porrima (Virgo).

Arround 5:00 am I saw very bright meteor (approx. -4 mag).

It was amazing night, but sky is cloudy again now.

Vawmataw

WOW!
You observed a quasar?! O.o You certainly have a big telescope that costed $1000! (or you went to the observatory) :o

It was clear all night and the current weather is as nice as this night.
My observations started with Venus, which I observed on my way to the house. It was on the horizon.
At 6pm, I went outside to watch the ISS. It was very bright (mag. -2.3 max.). Very nice pass.
I went back outside at 10pm. I observed Jupiter and its moons (Io and Europe were very close to each other), M44 (for the first time), M45 and NGC 457.
This morning, at 7am, I went outside to take a picture of the Moon and Jupiter.

As for the Orion Nebula, ma Toliman, I saw a couple of stars, but the nebula is mostly empty.

Toliman

QuoteYou observed a quasar?! O.o You certainly have a big telescope that costed $1000!
With my 12 inch telescope is this quasar relatively easily visible (on dark sky), but only as little point.

You are saw M44. This cluster is very nice in small telescope or little binocular. If I started with astronomy, M44 was one of my favourite objects :D

Vawmataw

However, it's less amazing than the Pleiades.

Toliman

QuoteAs for the Orion Nebula, ma Toliman, I saw a couple of stars, but the nebula is mostly empty.

On this image is position of Trapezium multiple star. Is in the brightest part of nebula M42.

Yes, in little binocular is Pleiades the most impressive object, especially on dark sky.
In little binocular is nice also big open cluster Mellote 20 in Perseus (group of stars arround star Mirfak (Alpha Persei)).

Vawmataw

Interesting. I will put Mellote 20 in the list of the objects to see.

Toliman

And do not forget: it's really big. (as Hyades). So little binocular is the best for his observation.

Vawmataw

I don't have binoculars, so I will use my telescope. It's not the best way to watch it, but it's fun.

Toliman

QuoteI don't have binoculars, so I will use my telescope. It's not the best way to watch it, but it's fun.

In this case you use the lowest magnification.

I have also binocular 10x50 and it's very goot thing. Little binoculars have generally smaller field of view than telescopes, so it's ideal for observation of big objects as example Pleiades, Hyades and Mellote 20.
And observation of milky way (especially bright parts in Sagittarius, Scutum, Aquila, Vulpecula, Cygnus) on dark sky by my binocular 10x50 is very, very, very impressive and indescribably beautiful. On realy dark sky is even possible to observe some more distinct dark nebulaes in milky way by binoculars 10x50.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Under reasonably dark skies, you can see Mellote 20 with the unaided eye as a smudge near Mirfak. Another nearby star that is fun to observe is Algol, which dims noticeably for a few hours every couple of days. Its an eclipsing binary system.

Ma Toliman, you have been able to observe NGC2024? I have never been able to pick out that object. Have you ever been able to see the Horsehead?

3C273 sounds like a good catch, as well.

NGC2419 is one of my favorites. Its about the only globular visible in wintertime.

I will have to check out NGC2264 next time I am out, although I am sure I have observed this object before. And a winter outing without looking at M36, 37 and 38 is not a very good outing! M37 is one of my favorites.

However, I have not been doing much observing lately. We have had the cloudiest early winter I can ever remember. However, Christmas night might be really clear here. If we don't get any snow (and we are forecast to get some snow Christmas eve), it might be warm enough to observe that night.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

I experienced next amazing night (saturday/sunday) and unplanned observation.

I had a feeling of repeating of previous night: evening was cloudy, but arround midnight clouds disappeared so I began to thing about next observation. My thinking was decided by looking on this website:
http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html#ASASSN-14lp
(11.1 mag bright supernova ASASSN-14lp in 40 million ly distance galaxy NGC 4666 !!!)

I was on my observation place after 1:30 am. I have relatively clear sky between 2:00 am and 4:30 am.

So I started with observation of galaxies in Leo and I waited on rising of NGC 4666 to reasonable high above horizon.

At 3:00 am I started observe of NGC 4666 in Virgo. I saw eliptic spot with bright core and very bright ,,star" near core (exactly former star ;D) – supernova ASASSN-14lp. It was very impressive, 11.1 mag is very bright on extragalaktic supernova in distance 40 million ly.
(I have seen several supernovaes in various galaxies during last years, but this is one of the brightest).
It's amazing feeling, when I can observe (almost live ;D) dead of one star, which happened (in reality) before 40 million years in long-ago times when peoples on Earth didn't exist yet.

On end of this unplanned observation I observed globular cluster M 3 in Canes Venatici and shortly also Jupiter with his moons.

It was probbably my last observation before christmas, because forecast on next week is not positive.

QuoteMa Toliman, you have been able to observe NGC2024? I have never been able to pick out that object.
Observing of NGC 2024 is hard because this nebula is placed very near bright star Alnitak (1,8 mag), so this nebula is strongly "flashed" by this bright star. Relatively effective method for his observing is placement of Alnitak beyond field of view. Sure observing of NGC 2024 resolutely acquires dark sky. (my experiences)
Similar problem is also with observation of galaxy NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) in Andromeda, which is placed near bright star Mirach (2,1 mag).

QuoteHave you ever been able to see the Horsehead?
I have seen only nebula IC 434 occasionally on realy dark sky (but only very featureless), but I didn'n able to see Horsehead (dark nebula B 33) in this nebula.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Cool! A bright supernova! I now have a really good excuse to get out under the stars, late enough at night to see the Virgo cluster.

What galaxies do you like to observe in Leo? (BTW, Leo is my favorite constellation because I am a lionkeeper!)

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

QuoteI now have a really good excuse to get out under the stars, late enough at night to see the Virgo cluster.
It's resolutely good excuse ;). Light from this supernova flew to us 40 million years.

QuoteWhat galaxies do you like to observe in Leo?
In Leo I like to observe:
,,Leo triplet" (M65 + M66 + NGC3628)
next interesting group is M95 + M96 + M105 + NGC3384
and relatively bright NGC2903

In Leo is also one of my favourite doublestars, Algieba (gamma Leonis)

And Leo is my astrological sign ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

You and I like the same Leo objects :)

It was cloudy all day, but finally cleared out later in the evening. But because I had to pull an 'overnighter' at work (re-commissioning an exciter in our TV transmitter, which was successful), there was no chance to do any observing.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

I would like to see all the objects of the celestial sphere. But I don't think I will be able to do that until I am an adult with a good job.