Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 16, 2018, 07:03:49 PM
Quote from: Toliman on May 16, 2018, 06:03:01 PM
It's just 5 degrees from M53 (how dificult was finding of M53 for you?) but yeah, M64 is in region without brighter stars.
M53 was super easy to find (Alpha Comae Berenices is visible to the naked eye). The path to find M64 is harder to remember especially when the galaxy looks very faint. I'll try again tomorrow, if the sky will remain clear. I'll also be able to go outside later.

Yeah, M53 is really super easy to find if you can see Alpha Comae Berenices by naked eye XD (btw, how easy you can see stars bright like as Alpha Comae Berenices on your urban sky?).

And yeah, weekend nights are best for astronomy.

Vawmataw

Quotebtw, how easy you can see stars bright like as Alpha Comae Berenices on your urban sky?
Well I can view the stars in Leo Minor if stare at them carefully.

Quote from: Toliman on May 17, 2018, 05:54:18 AM
Well it helps when you have a four-day weekend. Also it's the best time for stargazing because in a couple of days the Moon will come back. In fact, it will be in conjunction with Venus tonight.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 17, 2018, 06:29:11 AM
Quote from: Toliman on May 17, 2018, 05:54:18 AM
Well it helps when you have a four-day weekend. Also it's the best time for stargazing because in a couple of days the Moon will come back. In fact, it will be in conjunction with Venus tonight.

Hmmm ... conjuction .... I have clouds today.
Hope that tomorrow sky will be clear before Moon will come back.

Vawmataw

I've seen a lot of things tonight. hrh

Let's start with my observation of M104, which I barely confirm. I took out my Super 10mm ocular to settle the situation.
I also expected M64 to have the same visibilty as M104, which is not encouraging. However, probably due to the higher altitude of the object, it turned out to be more detectable. That's another galaxy in the list. :D I'm also happy to have spotted the infamous nebula M57, which I thought was too faint to be visible.

The other objects I saw were M3, M10, M13, M44, M53, M81, M82, M92, M94, NGC 45 and IC 4665. The Moon-Venus conjunction was also nice; I took this moment to observe the Moon and its earthshine through the telescope. I also saw a very bright meteor that lasted 2-3 seconds and left a wonderful streak.

Toliman

Sounds as good night! Congrats to success with M64 and M57!
Did you try M63 too?

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 17, 2018, 11:07:26 PM
However, probably due to the higher altitude of the object, it turned out to be more detectable.
Yeah, higher declination can do a lot. Difference of declination of M104 and M64 is really big.

NGC 45
NGC45? It's a typo, I guess.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on May 18, 2018, 05:42:19 AM
Sounds as good night! Congrats to success with M64 and M57!
Irayo!

Did you try M63 too?
Yes, but it was not successful. What is the distance between 20 Canum Venaticorum and the galaxy in the sky?
I've still not found M51, too.

NGC 45
NGC45? It's a typo, I guess.
The 7 is missing hrh

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 18, 2018, 07:17:02 AM
Did you try M63 too?
Yes, but it was not successful. What is the distance between 20 Canum Venaticorum and the galaxy in the sky?
Distance is approx. 1.5 degree - so relatively close.

Toliman

Just returned from observation.
Sky conditions were reasonable (but not excellent) so I observed mostly brighter Messiers.

Globuar clusters: M53, M5, M3, M13, M92, M10, M12, M14, M107, M56, M71
Open clusters: M11, M26, NGC6633, IC4756, IC4665
Double stars: Albireo, Epsilon Lyrae, Delta Lyrae, Zeta Lyrae, 61 Cygni

And Jupiter

Toliman

Sky conditions were surprisingly good after moonset tonight.

I observed several deepsky in Cygnus.

North America Nebula, Pelican Nebula, Veil Nebula - all through UHC / O-III filters
Open clusters M39, M29, NGC6910, NGC 6819, NGC6811
Planetary nebula NGC7027 (bright and quite nice)

+ Jupiter, Saturn and Mars

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I plan to do some solar astronomy for my coworkers before I have to give up the solar telescope until sometime in July.

Friday night, again weather permitting, is public astronomy for the planetarium. Jupiter should be nice, maybe Mars if ti gets above the treeline. Maybe M44 and the Leo triplet. The big challenge will be if any or all of these items will rise above the clouds. We are having our wettest spring in many years.

This will be the first astronomy for me since mid March. Its been way too long!

On a more positive note, it looks like I will be able to attend the Golden State Star Party in mid July this year. Still debating if I should try what I did last year, combining the Lassen Astronomy Festival and the Oregon Star Party. Comples logistics, including two nights' hotel stays, but what a great time I had!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 23, 2018, 02:19:51 AM
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I plan to do some solar astronomy for my coworkers before I have to give up the solar telescope until sometime in July.
Do you mean that H-alpha telescope which you mentioned earlier?

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 23, 2018, 02:19:51 AM
This will be the first astronomy for me since mid March. Its been way too long!
I hope that weather and sky condition will be good and you will enjoy it!

Vawmataw

Last night the conditions were not good (clouds mainly) but I succeeded to observe M3, M13, M44, M53, M57, M92, M94 and IC 4665. That also came with the Moon, Jupiter, the ISS and a meteor.

Toliman

I tried observe tonight too but sky was not completely clear so I observed just Jupiter and Saturn.

Sky is partly cloudy today so I can observe Sun. There was visible one group of few little sunspots.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Even though I finally had the time and conditions to observe, I did not due to the full moon.
And I had to give the club's solar 'scope to someone who needs it for a school outing. Hopefully, I'll have it back in time for the Golden State Star Party, and almost certainly for the Lassen Astronomy Festival.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Yeah, full moon :(
But weather is good here so I observe at least Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.

Vawmataw

Despite the Full Moon I observed a bit last night.
M3, M13, M53, M57, M81, M92, M94

M82 was virtually invisible due to the lack of darkness. M81 was not very bright either.

I also observed the Moon and Jupiter. A magnitude 6 satellite even passed between Ganymede and Callisto.

Toliman

No astronomy tonight here because first completely cloudy night after many days  ;D

Was core of M94 visible good despite full moon?

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 30, 2018, 06:46:06 AM
I also observed the Moon and Jupiter. A magnitude 6 satellite even passed between Ganymede and Callisto.
Sounds interesting! It was surely nice :)

Vawmataw

Indeed M94 was still visible. It was comparable to M57 and M53. Obviously M3, M13 and M92 were much more remarkable.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 30, 2018, 01:05:51 PM
Indeed M94 was still visible. It was comparable to M57 and M53. Obviously M3, M13 and M92 were much more remarkable.

Yeah, bright globuar clusters are good observable despite moonlight of full Moon. I often observe globuar clusters during full moon when I want observe some deepsky despite moonlight.
¨
Hmm ... sky is again almost clear ... maybe again planetary observation tonight :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It looks like a group of us are going to pull out the club's 24 inch 'scope Monday evening. We'll be past full moon by enough days that we'll have a couple hours of moonless skies.

I've never had much luck with globulars on nights with a full moon. Maybe this weekend, if things stay down to a dull roar here, I might get out and observe on my own.

Yawey ngahu!