Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

QuoteIt was cloudy all day, but finally cleared out later in the evening. But because I had to pull an 'overnighter' at work (re-commissioning an exciter in our TV transmitter, which was successful), there was no chance to do any observing.

You can try observe this supernova during next weeks. For example, similarly bright supernova in galaxy M82 from January 2014 was well observable almost two months.

BTW, I see that you and I have similar problem with weather.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

But its clear tonight, the 'scope is set up, and when  Virgo comes up, I'm going supernova hunting! I am also trying out an 8 inch dobsonian 'scope I picked up cheap. It will be much better when fitted with a 90 degree viewfinder and digital setting circles (which it is already set up for).

Here's my 'scope setup at home. Note the big solar panel in the background. That is part of the zoo I live next to.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Vawmataw

Good luck! It will be cloudy for many, many days here!
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Vawmataw

Toliman

QuoteI found a nice target for us! http://www.universetoday.com/117412/comet-q2-lovejoy-set-to-ring-in-the-new-year-reader-images-and-more/

Yes, nice target. Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy) will reach probbably 4 mag. It will be sufficient for observing by naked eye. Now is not goodly observable from northern latitudes, but it will change soon.

And 29.12. this comet will be very near globular cluster M79 in Lepus.

But we must hope, that this comet will not end as comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) from last year :)

Vawmataw

The good news is that I should be able to see it! :DDDDD Unlike ISON, it is visible during the evening.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

KKs 3 is too far south to observe here, and even if it was within range, it is probably out of the reach of amateur telescopes.

The comet might be visible here for only a short time this evening, due to the presence of a big mountain to my south. But by the time of its encounter with M79, it should be a lot better-- and the forecast calls for some nice observing nights next week.

Last night was interesting. We had a very heavy frost. By 4 AM, the 'scope cover was covered with hoarfrost. The cover is designed to be breathable, but keep out rain. Well, it didn't keep put water vapor, and it certainly didn't keep put the cold. Once I took off the front cover, I knew I had limited time for observing. I immediately lined up on Procyon. I used Regulus to check the alignment. Then, on to Virgo cluster galaxy M84. I was already, in just a few minutes, starting to get frost buildup on the corrector plate. Seeing where the 'scope put M84, I moved to NGC4666. By then, I was just able to glimpse the galaxy. I saw a pinpoint of light that had the characteristic look of other supernovae I have seen, and it was about the right brightness. But within 30 seconds, the corrector plate became frosted over enough I had trouble seeing a nearby bright star. So, I am pretty sure I saw the supernova, but not certain.

Tonight is supposed to have similar conditions, but perhaps even higher humidity. I plan to use my dew heater, which I otherwise rarely need. I will power it up in the later evening, before the dew/frost starts forming (I have to run it on a big battery). It should be enough to keep the corrector plate clear, at least for a while. I'll keep the eyepieces warm, so they will be slow to dew up. And, I'll put a plastic bag under the 'scope cover to minimize frost buildup on the 'scope itself. Even so, the 'scope will have to be carefully dried out after this observing run! I'll keep the tripod up for Comet Lovejoy this weekend.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

QuoteWe had a very heavy frost.
Oo ... Winter in central Europe is unusually warm until now, but sky is often cloudy.

Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy will be reasonable observable from central Europe after 26-27.12.
I would like observe her approach to M79 and again observe supernova in NGC4666, but all depends on weather...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Unexpected observation tonight. :D

I saw Uranus (HIP 3765 was my checker) and Melotte 20 (I think), and took pictures of the Moon until the clouds invade the sky.

Toliman

I sucessufully observed comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy) before two hours :). It was hardly (relatively low above horizon and Moon), but success. Comet was near globular cluster M79 - nice view :) 

Vawmataw

Good job! I plan to observe it tonight, but it will be difficult.

(btw, I saw Melotte 20 yesterday)

Tomorrow, I will celebrate my 2 years of active astronomy.

Toliman

QuoteTomorrow, I will celebrate my 2 years of active astronomy.
Congratulation! In August 2014 I celebrated 10 years of active astronomy. :)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on December 29, 2014, 07:20:33 PM
QuoteTomorrow, I will celebrate my 2 years of active astronomy.
Congratulation! In August 2014 I celebrated 10 years of active astronomy. :)
Irayo! One day, I will.

Vawmataw

2 years ago, between 5:25pm and 5:45pm, I was in the car and I looked at the stars. Since then, I stargazed actively and am a part of the worldwide astronomical community.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Vawmataw on December 30, 2014, 08:09:10 AM
2 years ago, between 5:25pm and 5:45pm, I was in the car and I looked at the stars. Since then, I stargazed actively and am a part of the worldwide astronomical community.
And tonight, I watched Venus (I took pictures of it), Jupiter (and the perfect alignment of the four moons), M44, M41.

As for the comet, it's a real waste of time. I can't see anything that looks like a comet (I didn't expect a green ball with a tail, but something hazy at least) through a TELESCOPE. Yes, a telescope!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I've hadto give up trying to see anything, for a while. Between weather conditions, a chaotic work schedule, and a nasty case of the flu, astronomy has been low on the 'to-do' list. And sadly, there were unexpectedly favorable conditions Saturday night, that I learned about only because I unexpectedly got called into work at 6 AM (Satellite uplink job for CBS news). Sunday night had good conditions as well, but I had to work all night (while being sick, this work could not be postponed). Now, its single digit ('F) cold here, and I can't observe in that much cold.

I have been interested in astronomy all my life. I started reading astronomy magazines regularly about 1995 or 6. I got a decent pair of binoculars in the fall of 1998 (These were both for astronomy and for my then-upcoming trip to East Africa in the winter of 1999). I got a six inch Schmidt-Newtonian optical tube as a going-away gift when I moved to Reno, but it broke the first time I tried to use it. I finally got the 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain 'scope I have now in November of 2005. So, although you could say I have been into astronomy for about 19 years, I have only been a really active observer for about 9 years.

Very sadly, I learned today that the guy I bought my 'scope from, died yesterday. He had always been a good friend. I think I am going to name my 'scope in his honor. So, from now on, my 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain 'scope will be called 'Kurt'.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

QuoteVery sadly, I learned today that the guy I bought my 'scope from, died yesterday. He had always been a good friend. I think I am going to name my 'scope in his honor. So, from now on, my 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain 'scope will be called 'Kurt'.
I'm sorry for you. It's a very nice hommage.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 31, 2014, 02:18:29 AM
I have been interested in astronomy all my life. I started reading astronomy magazines regularly about 1995 or 6. I got a decent pair of binoculars in the fall of 1998 (These were both for astronomy and for my then-upcoming trip to East Africa in the winter of 1999). I got a six inch Schmidt-Newtonian optical tube as a going-away gift when I moved to Reno, but it broke the first time I tried to use it. I finally got the 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain 'scope I have now in November of 2005. So, although you could say I have been into astronomy for about 19 years, I have only been a really active observer for about 9 years.
Let's celebrate next year!

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 31, 2014, 02:18:29 AM
I've had to give up trying to see anything, for a while. Between weather conditions, a chaotic work schedule, and a nasty case of the flu, astronomy has been low on the 'to-do' list. And sadly, there were unexpectedly favorable conditions Saturday night, that I learned about only because I unexpectedly got called into work at 6 AM (Satellite uplink job for CBS news). Sunday night had good conditions as well, but I had to work all night (while being sick, this work could not be postponed). Now, its single digit ('F) cold here, and I can't observe in that much cold.
Well, astronomy has many inconvenients: The weather, the light pollution, the financial situation (because it can cost something), the business and the health of the person.

Toliman

QuoteQuote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on Today at 02:18:29 am
I've had to give up trying to see anything, for a while. Between weather conditions, a chaotic work schedule, and a nasty case of the flu, astronomy has been low on the 'to-do' list. And sadly, there were unexpectedly favorable conditions Saturday night, that I learned about only because I unexpectedly got called into work at 6 AM (Satellite uplink job for CBS news). Sunday night had good conditions as well, but I had to work all night (while being sick, this work could not be postponed). Now, its single digit ('F) cold here, and I can't observe in that much cold.
Well, astronomy has many inconvenients: The weather, the light pollution, the financial situation (because it can cost something), the business and the health of the person.
It's true :(. Weathers and light pollution are the biggest enemies of astronomy. And especially observation during big winter frost is hard for health.
Weather in central Europe is often very variable so is not easy scheduling of observations.

QuoteAs for the comet, it's a real waste of time. I can't see anything that looks like a comet (I didn't expect a green ball with a tail, but something hazy at least) through a TELESCOPE. Yes, a telescope!
I saw this comet only as featureless hazy spot through my 12inch telescope. Comet was only low above horizon and atmosphere was not too clear.
But this comet will be higher above horizon (on north part of celestial sphere :)) and will be brigher during January.
btw, ma Vawmataw, what's your latitude?

xxxxxx

My the biggest experience during my 10 years of active astronomy were two trips on southern hemisphere (Atacama desert in Chile) with my friends (also amateur astronomers) at June 2010 and December/January 2013/2014. We observed beautiful objects of south sky - example Magellanic clouds with Tarantula Nebula, Eta Carinae Nebula, globular clusters Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae and some amazing open clusters (IC2602 Southern Pleiades, NGC3532, NGC3114...) And view on the brightest parts of milky way (in Sagittarius and Scorpius) in zenith was amazing. On realy dark sky, this parts of milky way are so bright, that cast weak shadows! ... And I saw Alpha Centauri :), this double star is in small telescope easily visible as two star (yellow Alpha Centauri A and orange Alpha Centauri B).

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma  Toliman, you've been to the Atacama Desert? Did you see the ALMA observatory? How high up were you?

My one and only trip to southern latitudes, actually only a couple degrees south of the equator, was to Tanzania, East Africa in the winter of 1000. My primary purpose there was to observe wild lions and other African wildlife. My secondary purpose was to observe the southern sky. The very first night I was there, in Arusha, I was observing the Large Magellanic cloud. When we got to Serengeti National Park, we stayed one night in a lodge where it was safe to be outside at night. There, I got my first good look at M44, and watched Leo rise over the Serengeti plains. (I was not yet prepared to observe the other items you mentioned.) I got my guide interested in astronomy, and left my astronomy field guide with him. We have been friends ever since.

I think the best time I ever had since I became 'serious', was my first visit to the Great Basin Astronomy Festival, held at Great Basin National Park in East central Nevada. It was the first year the event was tried, and it was really a trial run to see what public response would be like, as well as identify possible logistics issues. It was just one night officially, but those of us who provided 'scopes were invited to stay a couple of additional nights. Few, if any folks besides me did stay. So, the second night, I went up to a parking lot at the 9,000 foot (2743 m) level of Wheeler Peak. Under nearly perfect conditions, I observed scores of objects I had never looked at before. Best of all, several groups of people, a few of which were people who had attended the astronomy festival as guests, came up to the parking lot. I ended up hosting an unexpected public star party, all by myself!

If my chest cold continues to abate as well as it is abating, I plan to do some public astronomy on Friday night. It is supposed to be quite a bit warmer that evening, with decent skies. We do these events once a month in winter (and once a week in summer) at the MacLean Observatory of the University of Nevada-Reno.

Yawey ngahu!