Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on June 21, 2018, 04:55:16 PM
Quote from: Vawmataw on June 21, 2018, 04:52:32 PM
close enough  ;D
Yeah ;D
Did you saw (visualy) also that two smaller sunspots near right edge of the Sun? Or you just take this photo?
Indeed I saw the two little sunspots.

(EDIT: omg this is our 2000th reply!)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Txantsan :)

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 21, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
O.o ... I didn't notice that there is already such many replies ;D

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on June 21, 2018, 05:01:21 PM
Astronomy rules ;D

Toliman

oh, I see them now, I didn't see them at first sight  :-[

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 21, 2018, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: Toliman on June 21, 2018, 05:01:21 PM
Astronomy rules ;D
;D ;D

Vawmataw

So here is another clear night hrh

This night was more intended to the observation of objects in my list.
I planned to observe Collinder 367, M18, M21 and NGC 6416. Unfortunately, the NGC object is faded away.

I didn't make a tour of the sky since it would take too much time. However, I saw several objects: M3, M6, M7, "M8", M10, M18, M21, M22, M23, M24, M25, M31, M32(?!), M57, NGC 869, NGC 884, NGC 6530, NGC 7160 (by accident), Collinder 285 (;D), Collinder 367, Melotte 20 and Stock 2.

I found something that looked like M32. It's similar to M94 altough M32 is fainter due to its altitude.

Of course, I didn't forget Saturn and Jupiter.

Toliman

Yeah, M32 really looks as small version of M94 ;D
(it reminds me planetary nebula M76 which also looks as smaller and fainter verion of nice M27)

You write "M8" - how looks M8 for you tonight?

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on June 22, 2018, 03:07:55 AM
(it reminds me planetary nebula M76 which also looks as smaller and fainter verion of nice M27)

You write "M8" - how looks M8 for you tonight?
Pretty much like the other day: the brightest parts are visible aroung NGC 6530.
I wrote "M8" because it's not the whole nebula that I can see.

I guess there is no problem to see it even at an altitude of 23 degrees?

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 22, 2018, 08:15:05 AM
I guess it's no problem even at an altitude of 23 degrees?

When sky conditions are good, altitude of 23 degree really is not problem for it :)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on June 22, 2018, 08:18:46 AM
Quote from: Vawmataw on June 22, 2018, 08:15:05 AM
I guess it's no problem even at an altitude of 23 degrees?

When sky conditions are good, altitude of 23 degree really is not problem for it :)
I guess it will be another challenge to see M110, given that it was added to the catalogue much later.  :-\

Toliman

Yeah, M110 is a bit less bright than M32 and has not such bright core like as M32.

Vawmataw

I forgot to say that I saw M29 yesterday hrh

Toliman

hrh

M29 ... "Summer Pleiades" XD

(I love how his shape is similar to configuration of bright stars of M45)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on June 22, 2018, 10:44:47 AM
hrh

M29 ... "Summer Pleiades" XD

(I love how his shape is similar to configuration of bright stars of M45)
Yeah. it's just quite smaller ;)

Some say that the Sagittarius Dwarf Spherical Galaxy has a magnitude of 4.5.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on June 22, 2018, 10:56:03 AM
Some say that the Sagittarius Dwarf Spherical Galaxy has a magnitude of 4.5.

Yeah, it' true - 4.5 mag is his apparent magnitude, but his surface brightness is very low.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Vamataw, what do you have for a solar viewing setup?

On Saturday, I might try eyepiece projection photography with the solar 'scope. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Public astronomy at the Planetarium tonight, for the first time in months. We should have a pleasant evening, but it will be too bright to see much besides the moon and Jupiter.

July will be a busy month for astronomy, including at least one interesting public outreach event (daytime!), an asteroid occultation, and the Golden State Star Party.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 22, 2018, 03:53:28 PM
On Saturday, I might try eyepiece projection photography with the solar 'scope. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
I hope that it will turn out well.
Will you show us images? :)

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 22, 2018, 03:53:28 PM
Ma Vamataw, what do you have for a solar viewing setup?
In August, I bought a pair of eclipse glasses as well as a filter for my camera.

I remove the central part of the telescope's cap and I stick carefully the filter in front of it. It's quite DIY, but it gives good results.

Toliman

Tonight sky was partly cloudy. I tried observe Saturn and Mars through holes between clouds but seeing was not extra good.

hrh...last week I was able observe mars almost every night.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Public astronomy went really well last night despite hiccups.

I was planning to use the Planetarium's 12 inch LX200 SCT. I am about the only person who uses this 'scope due to my familiarity with Meade products, and the fact I am strong enough to handle it. However, I could not find the tripod in the Planetarium's 'scope lock-up area. So I decided to improvise and use the tripod from my 8 inch LX200, which IO think is the same tripod. OK, that problem solved. But when I opened the 'scope's carrying case, I discovered the power cables (which I custom made) were missing. So at the last minute, I used my 8 inch LX200, which by the time I had worked through the other problems, resulted in a late start.

But, the people showed up right about the time I was ready to observe but not fully aligned. It was still too light out. But, we all enjoyed nice views of the moon, Jupiter (which looked exceptionally good last night) and Venus. Once it was dark enough, I got the 'scope aligned and we looked at the only deep sky object I could easily see in this tree-surrounded, heavily light polluted site-- M3. At some point a young boy grabbed the eyepiece of my 'scope and apparently gave it a pretty good yank. After that, the 'scope wouldn't align (I doubt any damage was done, just the drive was hopelessly confused). But even so, the folks that were there wanted to see more of the easy objects, so I happily obliged. In any case, it was one of the most engaged crowds I have had in a very long time. (The father of the boy who inadvertently misaligned my 'scope was quite an astronomy buff himself, and was frequently quizzing his children and other participants with astronomy questions. I wish I had more folks like that participating!)

Tonight, more public astronomy at the zoo. We are doing our first-ever evening hours opening (A challenge, as the zoo purposely does not have any lighting at night). Despite objections about the late sunset, I was asked to bring my 'scope to the event. We'll see how well this works. We have two more of these evening openings, one in July and one in August. We should have darker skies for those events, especially the August one.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 23, 2018, 02:26:30 PM
In any case, it was one of the most engaged crowds I have had in a very long time. (The father of the boy who inadvertently misaligned my 'scope was quite an astronomy buff himself, and was frequently quizzing his children and other participants with astronomy questions. I wish I had more folks like that participating!)
Yeah, it's always nice when you have such interested folks :)