Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

As I wrote, I don't observe Moon too often, but today ,orning before dawn it was very nice. I took my telescope outsude and observed Moon surface for a while. I also made short observation of few brighter doublestars at winter and rising spring constellations.

Vawmataw

The only clouds I want in the sky are the Milky Way and the Magellanic clouds :(
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on November 03, 2018, 08:04:16 AM
The only clouds I want in the sky are the Milky Way and the Magellanic clouds :(
Same  ;D :)

Magellanic clouds are such beautiful, I still remember on my astro-trips to Chile...

Toliman

I could observe finally again. Weather was good and sky conditions were reasonable.

I observed globular clusters M2 a M15, quite big number of open clusters in Cassiopeia and Perseus, NGC281 Pacman Nebula, M31 Andromeda galaxy, M33 Triangulum Galaxy and also planets (Mars, Uranus and Neptune).

Ertew

[*]
RIP Kepler telescope.

Launch date: march 2009.
Major failure (flywheels breakdown): 2012-2013
Further mission: low accuracy observation, tracking based on ion engines.
End of life (end of fuel): october 2018.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Vawmataw

This is only the beginning of the journey...
Thank you and goodbye, Kepler!

Toliman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Busy astronomy weekend.

Saturday night, I did some public astronomy with our club for a local park. Because of a publicity mess-up, only 4 people showed up (This place is usually full for these events). The topic that evening was the Pleiades, so we looked at the Pleiades. I used my 8 inch Dobsonian for this event, as it is a lot 'faster' than my 8 inch SCT, and therefore has a wider field of view for this large object. I also went out to the site a couple of days ealy, and verified where in the parking lot the Pleiades are visible at that hour, as there are a lot of trees around the parking lot, and they have always been a challenge at this location.

I was going to try from home Sunday evening, when we had really clear skies (or so I thought!). But instead, I got called to a Bopard of Directors meeting at the zoo. So, I tried last night, Monday evening. Both nights, it was very dark (Sky quality meter reading of 20.14 and 20.09, respectively) but the transparency was absolutely horrible. It was a combination of thin, high clouds, plus smoke from the Camp fire :( over in California.

I did look at M56 and M57 (which was pretty decent, but dim.) The North America nebula (NGC7000) was barely visible. NGC7027 (planetary nebula), Veil nebula (NGC 6995/6960 Which was very dim, even with an OIII filter), Helix nebula (NGC7239), which like the ring nebula, was dim but nice, Neptune, NGC 253 (Sculptor galaxy, which was like a ghost in the poor transparency), the Orion Nebula. This was bright enough that it punched through the crud, and was pretty decent. Since M42 looked good, I put on the H beta filter, and tried for the Horsehead and Flame nebula. No luck. Couldn't even see any nebulosity, let alone objects. I suspect I'll have better luck when Orion is higher in the sky. I finished the night with a look at something I haven't looked at in a long time-- the Rosette cluster/nebula (NGC2244). I have forgotten how big the open cluster really is. I can see some nebulosity in my 8 inch 'scope on a good night. I saw none with a 16 inch. At this point, I disciplined myself to stop and get some rest for the next part-- hopefully.

There is a surprise bright comet in Virgo, discovered just a few days ago by amateur astronomers (C/2018 V1). But I had to wait until 4 AM for Virgo to get high enough in the sky to look for comets. But alas, when I got up, the clouds had crept in, and were obscuring Leo and Virgo. It was unusual that the clouds were in the east, but the west was clear.  Despite a pathethic satellite photo of cloudiness, I tried again at 5 AM, and the clouds now covered the entire sky. So I instead snuggled into bed and got a good nights' sleep.

This comet is only visible here for a few nights, before it disappears into the sun's glare. However, the weather does not look like it is going to cooperate. So, I tried, but it looks like this comet will get away ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 13, 2018, 03:22:52 PM
I finished the night with a look at something I haven't looked at in a long time-- the Rosette cluster/nebula (NGC2244). I have forgotten how big the open cluster really is. I can see some nebulosity in my 8 inch 'scope on a good night. I saw none with a 16 inch. At this point, I disciplined myself to stop and get some rest for the next part-- hopefully.

Yeah, this cluster is really big. nebula is good visible through my 12 inch (on reasonable sky).

My last observation was at Sunday. Nothing great (just some open clusters + orion nebula), but nice.

Ertew

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Toliman

Toliman

Few hours of observation tonight before morning.
Sky was completelly clear and sky conditions were reasonable. I observed:

Open clusters: M36, M37, M38, NGC1907, NGC1893, M35, NGC2129. NGC2281, M44, M68, M48
Globular cluster NGC2419, nebulae M1, NGC1931 and planetary nebula NGC2392
Galaxies: NGC2403, M81, M82, NGC3077, NGC2976, NGC2683, NGC2903, M95, M96, M105, NGC3384, M65, M66, NGC3628, NGC3115

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan, ma Toliman

Last night, I did public astronomy at a place called 'Sparks Marina'. This is the club public event we do every third Friday of the month. No huge crowds, but successful nonetheless, as the people that showed up stayed engaged. Due to light pollution and poor transparency, I stayed on Alberio most of the night. However, seeing was excellent, and those who showcased planets and the moon had an exceptional night.

Thursday evening marked the 55th anniversary of our planetarium, and the new director invited a number of us over to visit for cake and a star show. Even in the week he has been there, he installed several new exhibits. Planetarium staff filled an empty corner of the exhibit hall with some interesting stuff pulled out of storage. Among this, a number of space shuttle tiles, and two giant film reels from a film projector system that is still installed, but not currently used. (I was asked by the previous director to find a new home for the system, which features an IMAX-like rolling loop projector. I'm glad I was not successful).

Our planetarium started out as also being an 'atmospherium', and it would play back time-lapse films of the days' cloud cover. That system stopped being used along ago because of the cost of the film and running the film developer machine the system required. However, it would be exceptionally easy to start doing the atmospherium function again using modern digital cameras, and the digital dome projection system. So, we are going to look at setting up a new atmospherium system. The new director would like to re-establish the relationship that used to exist between our club (which formed in the University that owns the planetarium) and the planetarium. This is all exciting news in what has otherwise been an exceptionally dismal year (and 2019 looks to be even worse :( )

In other related news of interest to folks who follow this forum: On Wednesday night, another part of the University, our medical college, had an open house with a local STEM-oriented business group. It featured poster sessions by some of the researchers working at the college (and they are doing some really cutting-edge stuff, no puns intended), and a tour of the college's cadaver lab ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Yeah, and seems that tonight after moonset I will can observe again :)

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 17, 2018, 04:41:27 PM
... This is all exciting news in what has otherwise been an exceptionally dismal year (and 2019 looks to be even worse :( )
I hope that next year will be better :)

Toliman

Quote from: Toliman on November 17, 2018, 04:54:03 PM
Yeah, and seems that tonight after moonset I will can observe again :)
And I observed :) I observed some deepsky in Monoceros constellation:

Open clusters: NGC2264 Christmass Tree, NGC2244, NGC2252, Collinder 106, Collinder 104, Collinder 97, NGC2301, NGC2324, NGC2309, NGC2232, NGC2215, and M50
Nebulae: NGC 2237 Rosette nebula, NGC2261 Hubble's variable nebula

Rosette Nebula was amazing through UHC filter.

Toliman

Nice news :) Exoplanet of one my favourite star :)

Announcing Barnard's star b! Red Dots data and many more observatories involved
https://reddots.space/announcing-barnards-star-b-red-dots-data-and-many-more-observatories-involved/

A super-Earth planet candidate orbiting at the snow-line of Barnard's star
https://www.eso.org/public/archives/releases/sciencepapers/eso1837/eso1837a.pdf

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on November 21, 2018, 06:51:49 PM
Nice news :) Exoplanet of one my favourite star :)

Announcing Barnard's star b! Red Dots data and many more observatories involved
https://reddots.space/announcing-barnards-star-b-red-dots-data-and-many-more-observatories-involved/

A super-Earth planet candidate orbiting at the snow-line of Barnard's star
https://www.eso.org/public/archives/releases/sciencepapers/eso1837/eso1837a.pdf

Sìltsan nì'aw !

Toliman

Yeah, it's nice news.

Barnard's star is interesting star. I love how fast is her proper motion (10 arcsec per year) - change of her position is through telescope detecable already during time interval of one or two years.
(few years back, I each year marked her exact position into special star chart)