Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

QuoteI was observing Mars at 6:30pm, so it's maybe possible. And as I said, I saw the dot by averted vision.
If you sure that you targeted on correct area, seeing of Neptune as very weak star by averted vision is maybe possible. For observing of object in like this small high above horizon also very depend on clearness of atmosphere.

BTW, if you really saw Neptune, you have seen all planets yet!

Toliman

This night (one hour before twillight, after Moonset) I had endly clear sky (after two cloudy weeks) and reasonable observe conditions. I observed especially M104 Sombrero Galaxy and several galaxies in Virgo Cluster (M86, M87, M88, M60, M58) and on end Saturn. Despite his small high above horizon view was very good. I saw Cassini division in Saturn rings and 4 moons of Saturn (Titan, Rhea, Tethis, Dione) and maybe also moon Iapetus.

Vawmataw

In my life, I saw 18,18% of the objects you saw this night.
I watched Jupiter this morning.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Ma Vawmataw, did you observed ever any double stars? Some double stars can be easily observed (= be seen as two stars) already on urban sky by little telescopes. And some doublestars has very nice color contrast of his stars.

Vawmataw

I have observed Alpha Capricorni and a double star in Lyra, at least.

Toliman

QuoteI have observed Alpha Capricorni and a double star in Lyra, at least.

You can try observe also this double stars:
Albireo (Beta  Cygni)
Zubenelgenubi (Alpha Librae)
Cor Caroli (Alpha Canum Venaticorum)
Mizar (Zeta Ursae Majoris)
Alkalurops (Mu Bootis)
Kuma (Nu Draconis)
Acrab (Beta Scorpii)
Jabbah (Nu Scorpii)

The most beauriful is sure Albireo – bigger orange and smaller blue star – just very nice.

Vawmataw

Noted. Thanks. :)
However, I will be able to see all of them... this summer. I generally never stargaze after 9:30-10pm.

Toliman

QuoteI generally never stargaze after 9:30-10pm.

Ah, I often stargaze full night (if I have time and good weather)

On winter sky I like observe this doublestars (visible in smaller telescopes):
Castor (Alpha Geminorum)
Aludra (Eta Canis Majoris)
Phurud (Zeta Canis Majoris)
Trapezium (Quadruple star in M42)
Zeta Geminorum
Xi Puppis
Sigma Orionis (you can see as tripple star)

Toliman

This weekend I was on our mountains with my friends (also amateur astronomers). We had in our country a temperature inversion, so in lowlands was totaly cloudy and on mountains was super clear sky, so we can stargaze. Our observation position was on 1300 m high mountain ridge which was above inversion layer.

View on layer of inversion cloudiness bellow us was very efective. Sky condition during our observations was excellent. Above our heads was velvety dark sky with thousands stars and silver bow of milky way and above western horizon was very obvious cone of zodiacal light ... realy fantastic!!!

Very nice was comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy). Is still very goodly visible.

On dark sky was beautiful open clusters Pleiades and Mellote 20 in binocular 10x50.
In binocular 10x50 and 12inch teescope especialy under lowest magnification was absolutely fantastic also Double cluster (NGC 884+NGC869) and little known open cluster Stock 2 in Cassiopeia (this cluster remind human person, on dark sky realy fantastic)

By naked eye was nice obvious cluster Melotte 20 and big dark nebula in milky way in Perseus. And in binocular was obviously visible also NGC 1499 California Nebula in Perseus as nebulous bow.

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula (Cassiopeia) in my 12inch telescope shone very brightlly and nice obvious was his ,,dark bay". Next nice objects in Cassiopeia were open clusters M 52, NGC663 and NGC 457.

We observed also shortly Jupiter with his moons.

Thanks excellent dark sky nebulaes in Orion (M42, M 43 M78, NGC1973) was very fantastic. Especialy M42 Orion Nebula with Trapezium quadruple star was through my 12inch telescope indescribably beauty.
Very nice was also open cluster M36, M 37 and M38 in Auriga. Especialy M 37 (sometimes known as Diamond Powder) is in biger telescope true fantastic.

Very interesting object is little nebula NGC2261  Hubble's Variable Nebula in Monoceros which changing visage during days and weeks.

On dark sky is very nice by naked eye big open cluster Melotte 111 (known as Coma Cluster). This is my favourite object In astrophysic is known that open cluster is on night sky located in plane of our galaxy (so in and arround bow of milky way) and melotte 111 is on sky placed near north galactic pole  ;D (for his closeness).

After midnight we observed galaxies in Leo, Ursa Major, Canes Venatici, Coma Berenices and Virgo. Thanks excellent sky condition was very nice especially M101 in Ursa Maior. I saw his nice spiral arms with his OB star association (visible as little points in spiral arms).

Realy fantastic was also M51 Whirpool Galaxy with nice spiral arms and M104 Sombrero Galaxy with visible powder bow in plane of this galaxy.

And on end night, before twilight, we observed Saturn with his moons (Titan, Rhea, Iapetus, Tethys, Dione and Enceladus) and observed by naked eye rising summer milky way. I shortly observed through binocular 10x50 star cloud in Cygnus (between stars Gamma a Beta Cygni) – thanks dark sky really amazing view (incredible amount of little stars).

It was realy nice observation.

Vawmataw

QuoteIt was realy nice observation.
Seriously? Only ''really nice''? I would say perfect!

It's my ''winter break'': I stargaze much less during the winter, because of the cold (especially this year) and the snow.

Toliman

QuoteQuote
It was realy nice observation.
Seriously? Only ''really nice''? I would say perfect!

Yes, it's true. It was realy perfect!!!

QuoteIt's my ''winter break'': I stargaze much less during the winter, because of the cold (especially this year) and the snow.

Cold and snow are very uncomfortable. But beauty of winter sky is too great (part of night sky arround Orion is just fantastic...)

My the most extreme observation was in February 2013, when I observed 4 hours at -24°C. (realy minus twenty-four degrees of Celsius). I resisted this heavy frost, because this was first night with clear sky after almost 3 months of total cloudy sky.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Was sitting quite a while outside in the dark this evening, just watching the sky full of stars :)
I like watching the nightsky. It's very magical. Makes you wonder all that mysterious and wonderful things that are out there in the Universe.
When i was watching i got a glimpse of seeing meteors and also geosynchronous orbital satellites passing by. I don't think it was planes, because it looked pretty far up in the sky, it was not blinking at all, it was passing very fast and you could definitely see 3 or maybe 4 per minute.

Vawmataw

You make me dream when you say this.  *.*

I found in the pages of a dictionary this sentence in Italian: Vedi Napoli e poi muori/See Naples and after die/Tse'a Napoliti ulte mawkrr terkup. This could apply to the dark skies: Vedi un stelatto cielo e poi muori. This is probably what I will feel the next time I will see a perfect sky.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 22, 2015, 08:10:27 PM
You make me dream when you say this.  *.*

I found in the pages of a dictionary this sentence in Italian: Vedi Napoli e poi muori/See Naples and after die/Tse'a Napoliti ulte mawkrr terkup. This could apply to the dark skies: Vedi un stelatto cielo e poi muori. This is probably what I will feel the next time I will see a perfect sky.

Ma Vamataw, you should consider coming out to Great Basin National Park for the annual astronomy festival. After you have died under the pristine skies, I'll be happy to feed you to the mountain lions ;) (Seriously, you would have the time of your life there, and there would be no need to bring a telescope. Oh, and it's free, other than a small fee for camping.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Vawmataw

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

What is the minimum age to book a hotel room?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Not sure. But you would probably want to camp, and there is no minimum age for that. If you were to come, I could set you up with camping gear, so you wouldn't have to haul all that from out east.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

That's nice of you. :) When I will be an adult (in about 3 years), I might come. ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 25, 2015, 04:22:25 PM
That's nice of you. :) When I will be an adult (in about 3 years), I might come. ;)

It will be worth the wait! Being an adult will also open up more travel options for you.

Yawey ngahu!