Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

HUBBLE UNCOVERS A 'HEAVY METAL' EXOPLANET SHAPED LIKE A FOOTBALL

The scorching hot exoplanet WASP-121b represents a new twist on the phrase "heavy metal."

There are no loud electric guitar riffs, characteristic of heavy metal music, streaming into space. What is escaping the planet is iron and magnesium gas, dubbed heavy metals, because they are heavier than lightweight hydrogen and helium. The observations by the Hubble Space Telescope represent the first time heavy metal gas has been detected floating away from an exoplanet.

A scorching planet, WASP-121b orbits precariously close to a star that is even hotter than our Sun. The intense radiation heats the planet's upper atmosphere to a blazing 4,600 degrees Fahrenheit. Apparently, the lower atmosphere is still so hot that iron and magnesium remain in gaseous form and stream to the upper atmosphere, where they escape into space on the coattails of hydrogen and helium gas.

The sizzling planet is also so close to its star that it is on the cusp of being ripped apart by the star's intense pull. This hugging distance means that the planet is stretched into a football shape due to gravitational tidal forces.

https://hubblesite.org/contents/news-releases/2019/news-2019-19

Toliman

Tonight I could observe again. Sky conditions were good and transparency was ok too.
I observed Jupiter, Saturn, Moon and bright double stars before moonset and many deepsky after moonset (mostly open clusters + few nebulae).

I also saw many meteors within few spectacular pieces, the brightest piece had approx. - 8 mag.

Vawmataw

I tried to stargaze tonight but the clouds were too much present :(
So, if I observed something noteworthy, it was 61 Cygni.
Otherwise, I saw two perseids.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

This night is cloudy here too :(

How bright was that two perseids?

Vawmataw

Toliman

Good :)

Hope that weather will be better tomorrow, despite moonlight.

Vawmataw

The transparency will still be bad though.

Toliman

Lets hope that it will be good.

Rain is expected for tomorrow here. Clouds should go away after sunset however air will be humid, probably. So we will see...

Toliman

Quote from: Toliman on August 09, 2019, 10:50:42 PM
Rain is expected for tomorrow here. Clouds should go away after sunset however air will be humid, probably. So we will see...
And I saw ;D

Air was humid, bud sky conditions was reasonable, despite this.

I observed night sky after moonset and I saw many open clusters, nebulae in Cygnus and Cassiopeia, globular clusters M2 and M15, galaxies M31 and M33, planetary nebula M27, Uranus, Neptune and few double stars (Albireo, Gamma Andromedae, Eta Cassiopeiae + few less bright pieces).

I saw few perseids again, the brightest has approx. -3 mag.

Vawmataw

Nice objects. :) You haven't observed the Pleiades?

Here, too, the air was humid and the sky was partly cloudy with not always good transparency.
I still managed to observe my targeted objects, Kemble's cascade and NGC 7243. I also observed Trumpler 2, the Double Cluster, Stock 2 and M39.
As for the planetary objects, there were the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Here's a picture of the Moon:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any perseid. :(

Nìvingkap, it's nice that we can now go outside a bit earlier.

Toliman

Good image and objects :) How was Kemble's cascade?

Yeah, I observed Pleiades too, just forgot write it. And I observed also Double Cluster too.

And yeah, is nice that nights are already longer :)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 11, 2019, 07:03:30 AM
How was Kemble's cascade?
I would try it again under better sky conditions, but it looks interesting. :)

Toliman

Yeah, this is really nice and interesting. And also, on southern end of Kemble's cascade is also smaller open cluster NGC1502.

Vawmataw

Toliman

Maybe under better sky conditions it could be better :) How many stars from this cluster you was able to see?

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 11, 2019, 01:34:18 PM
Maybe under better sky conditions it could be better :) How many stars from this cluster you was able to see?
Maybe 4

Toliman

I would say that under better sky condition it should be far better, like as whole Kemble's cascade :)

Vawmataw

It's confirmed via Google Maps... They installed a street light at my former house where I used to stargaze. :(

Toliman

:( :(

I like sky rather without the Moon, however your image is nice :)

I tried catch few perseids tonight again. I observed sky last night before morning (after moonset). Conditions were not good, sky was partly cloudy, however I saw 3 perseids (probably perseids) through holes between clouds. The brightest has approx. -1 mag, other two were between 1 and 2 mag.

This was highly probably my last perseids of this year, because forecast for next nights are not good (and also Moon tomorrow will be shine already whole night)...

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 11, 2019, 11:11:21 PM
I like sky rather without the Moon, however your image is nice :)
Thanks

I like to watch the Moon sometimes, although it should not shine brightly during the Perseids season. ;)

Quote from: Toliman on August 11, 2019, 11:11:21 PM
I tried catch few perseids tonight again. I observed sky last night before morning (after moonset). Conditions were not good, sky was partly cloudy, however I saw 3 perseids (probably perseids) through holes between clouds. The brightest has approx. -1 mag, other two were between 1 and 2 mag.

This was highly probably my last perseids of this year, because forecast for next nights are not good (and also Moon tomorrow will be shine already whole night)...
Better than nothing :)