Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

:o
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Yeah, I was shocked too. My limite magnitude (stars, very good sky conditions) was 16.5, it was far better then I expected :)

Vawmataw

Regarding M16, I'm not sure if I saw the nebula or only the cluster (because clusters can look like this if the stars are too faint to be resolved individually).

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 01, 2019, 09:44:26 AM
Regarding M16, I'm not sure if I saw the nebula or only the cluster (because clusters can look like this if the stars are too faint to be resolved individually).

How big magnification you used?

Vawmataw

Toliman

Hmm, theoretically it really could be nebula (you wrote that transparency was good so it could be faintly visible, I was able to see it through 8 cm refractor on my urban sky).

Vawmataw

Toliman

Back from short observation :) Sky was coudy today afternoon and evening, but there were one hour of partly cloudy sky with big holes between clouds so I could observe somenthing. I observed Saturn, Neptune and few globular clusters.

Saturn was nice, Cassini division was sharp and six moons were visible again. Neptune's moon Triton was good visible again, even on urban sky.

Deepsky: I observed two globular clusters in Delphinus (NGC6934 and NGC7006). NGC6934 was nice, her the brightest stars have 14 mag so there was no problem with their observation. On the contrary NGC77006 is bright 10.5 mag but very small cluster (is quite far away) and his the brightest stars have no more than 15.0 mag. I tried observe this cluster under strong magnification and I really saw few stars here. Under excellent dark sky it can be interesting cluster.
Last globular cluster of this observation was M71 in Sagitta. His the brightness stars have 11 mag so I could saw spectacular amount of stars here. I also noticed quite untypical shape of this globular cluster - not circular or elliptical, but almost triangular shape.

After this another clouds come and sky is cloudy now again.

Vawmataw

Toliman

Yeah, it really is ;D :)
How looks your weather and forecast?

Vawmataw

Toliman

Hope that it will change.
Tomorrow will be cloudy here but next days could be good again, we will see.

Vawmataw

It will rain tomorrow, so no astronomy. I'm glad I went outside last night. ;)

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 01, 2019, 05:32:21 PM
I'm glad I went outside last night. ;)
Yeah, I am glad too that I went to place with very dark sky last night :)

Vawmataw

The best of summer 2019
Perseids count: 7

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 01, 2019, 07:13:54 PM
The best of summer 2019
Perseids count: 7
:)

Mine the best night was that observation of objects at galaxies M31 and M33 before few days.
June 8-9 and August 3-4 were great nights too, many nice deep sky observed.

Toliman

Sky was cloudy tomorrow before midnight however clouds quickly come away after midnight so around 1:00am sky was clear completelly and also transparency was very good so I catched this occasion for next observation :) I observed some brighter deepsky + I tried to find some fainter galaxies too.

The most interesting objects which I observed:

M72- probably the faintest Messier's globular cluster, his the brightest stars has 14 mag. Under stronger magnification it looked like as grained circular spot with brighter core where several 14 mag stars were good visible.

NGC7293 Helix Nebula was great, whith using of nebulae filters I was able saw some details of her structure. It looked like as nebulous ring with darker central part, it's amazing what big telescope can show here when sky conditions are good.

NGC7009 Saturn Nebula - under strong magnification great planetary nebula. I was able see his interesting structure: bright area arround his central star and very untypical peripheral structures. Also, her blue-green colour was very good obvious!

NGC7662 - bright planetary nebula in Andromeda, known as "Blue Snowball". And now I already understand why xD - nebula vas obviously bluish and under bigger magnivication interesting structure was visible: quite sharp edges, differences in brightess of her central part and also 13 mag central star.

M74 - relative bigger galaxy, but with lower surface brightness. However next great object for 18 inch telescope, peripheral regions around her bright core were good visible and also there was visible fainter spiral arms!

NGC7331 - bright galaxy in Pegasus. His core and bright central parts were great visible and there were few fainter dust structures visible too.

NGC1891 - fainter (low surface brightness) galaxy in Andromeda but great surprise! This galaxy we observe "from side" so it looks like as long slim line. It was far brighter than I observed it earliker through 12 inch telescope and now I can see here long central dust line, alsmost like as in this image:
I also tried observe globular clusters of Andromeda Galaxy and even on my urban sky I was able again saw many of them (the most fainter which I saw tonight had 14.5 mag).
Except these deepsky I tried find few faint galaxies, the faintest galaxy (which I successfully observed tonight) was NGC1272 in Perseus with 13 mag.

Toliman

Tonight I could observe again and it was great night! Forecast looked very good so I decided ride from city to my place with the darkest sky. And it was good decision. Sky conditions were excellent, milky way was very bright and also zodiacal light was spectacularly visible before morning dawn - not only common cone above eastern horizon (which was brighter than milky way in winter constellations), but almost complete zodiacal bright! It looked almost like as second milky way... The most faint star which I was able to see through my telescope had almost 17 mag.

I observed a lot of deepsky, I observed details in bright objects and also tried observe some challenge deepsky. There are my the most interesting targets:

IC410 - faint nebula in Auriga. In central part of this nebua is quite bright open cluster NGC1893. Cluster was quite interesting and nebula was surprisingly good visible (was quie faint but was good visible) and interesting, especially with UHC filter. In central part of this nebula was visible quite obvious dark place. In my 118 inch telescope this cluster and nebula dwfinitelly was a very nice surprise!

IC405 - faint nebula around star AE Aurigae. Visibility of this nebula was comparable with IC410. Parts around star AE Aurigae was faint, but visible and there were also other peripheral parts of this nebula but it was badly visible (extremelly low surface brightness), UHC filter was needed.

Palomar 2 - fainter globular cluster in Auriga. It has 13.0 mag and thanks excellent sky conditions it was easily visible.

Palomar 13 - very faint globular cluster in Pegasus. It has 13.8 mag and it's difficult to observation because surface brightness of this cluster is very low + it¨s very tiny object. I was able see it but it required averted vision and stronger magnification. It was visible as tiny and very faint spot. Even big part of cluster in Andromeda Galaxy (ehich I observed recently) were far better observable than this.

NGC206 in M31 - star cloud in Andromeda Galaxy. His grained structure was beter visible than revious observation and now I can see that I can see the brightest stars of Andromeda Galaxy! Identification was not easy becausy many stars of our galaxy is here visible too however with detailed chart of this region I was identify them. The brightest star of M31 was visible with averted vision. I tried also two other stars of M31, they were already fainter and very badly visible even with averted view.

Globular clusters of M33 Triangulum Galaxy. I observed again the brightest C39 - thanks excellent sky conditions it was visible even with direct vision. I tried observe also two other the brightest globulat clusters of M33 - globulars C27 and C13. I was successfull but it was very hard object to observation, both has approx. 16.5 mag and I could saw them only badly with averted view.

Abell 426 - cluster of galaxies in Perseus. The brightest galaxy here is NGC1275 with 12.7 mag, other galaxies are fainter than 13 mag. I was able see 21 galaxies of this cluster, the faintest had 15.0 mag. Galaxy NGC1275 was visible as quite bright core vith circular peripheral cloud. Other galaxies of this custe are already smaller and were visible as tiny nebulous spots. With using of widescreen eyepiece I was able to see all these galaxies in one field of view!

Abell 347 - cluster of galaxies in Andromeda. Due big distance (240 million Ly) these galaxies are very small and faint. I was able to see 7 galaxies of this clusters, the brightness had 13.8 mag and the faintest had 15. mag.

Markarian 205 - quasar with 14.5 mag in Draco. This quasar has interesting possition on the sky - it's only approx. 40 arcsec close to 12.8 mag galaxy NGC4319.

Vawmataw

I wish I could point my telescope anywhere in the sky and find a galaxy.

Vawmataw