Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 04, 2019, 06:19:57 PM
I found another target: Biurakan 4 ;D
Yeah, it's good target ;D :)

Tonight after moonset I was again far away rom my city and observed the night sky. I was on same place as previous night and sky conditions were again excellent (comparable with previous night). I observed some deepsky and again also some faint, distant galaxies (this I started enjoy, I think that spring period will be great time for me xD)

The most interesting observed deepsky:

NGC6992+6960 Veil Nebula in Cygnus - it was just gorgeous, especially with O-III filter. Such details, filamentar structure of this nebula is just fantastic and beautifull. I was able to see some other parts of this nebula like as Pickering's Triangle. They are very faint so observation was not easy but thanks 18 inch aperture, O-III filter and excellent sky conditions it they was visible.

NGC6888 Crescent Nebula in Cygnus - small and fainter nebula with interesting shape, however thanks good sky conditions and power of 18 inch telescope it was nice visible. Shape of this nebula is really interesting, it looks like as epsilon letter.

IC1396 - big and faint nebula around open cluster Trumpler 37 in Cepheus. This nebula has very low surface brightness, but combination of big telescope, nebulae filter and dark sky was enough for successfull observation. Nebula was quite faint, but I was able see few details of her structure within few faint dark structures which made quite interesting shapes.

NGC7023 - nice reflection nebula around one 7 mag star in Cepheus. Very nice nebula with interesting irregular shape. Few dark clouds were visible in this Nebula. I saw this nebula already earlier through my 12 inch telescope but now it's something totally different, a great surprise!

Palomar 11 - globular cluster in Aquila. Bright (9.8 mag) and big (10 arcminutes) globular cluster, but with low surface brightness. However for 18 inch telescope easy object.

Palomar 10 - globular cluster in Sagitta. Faint globular cluster (13.2 mag) with very low surface brightness. Hard object, good visible only with averted vision.

Palomar 1 - globular cluster in Cepheus. This is really challenge object, probably the most obscure globular cluster of our galaxy. It has 13.6 mag so theoretically it would not be a problem however his surface brightness is very low. With direct vision it was invisible and olny with averted vision I was able very badly see something, however it was still almost invisible. It looked almost a ghost object.

Stephan's quintent - group of 5 galaxies in Pegasus (NGC7319, NGC7318A, NGC7318B, NGC7320 and NGC7317). This is  something amazing, group of five tiny galaxies concentrated on area only 5 arcminutes! They are faint (13-14 mag) but with stronger magnification it's very impressive.

Abell 194 - cluster of galaxies in Cetus. Quite large cluster of galaxies, his the brightest galaxies have approx. 12.5 mag.  I was able to see 15 galaxies of this cluster, the faintest had  approx 14 mag.

Group of galaxy NGC524 - smaller group of galaxies in Pisces. Core member of this group is galaxy NGC524 with 10.4 mag. With stronger magnification I clearly saw her bright core and fainter peripheral parts. Other members of this group are already fainter (fainter than 12.5 mag) and very small - I was able see 9 of them. They were visible as tiny nebulous spots and again, I had almost whole this group in one field of view.

PERSEUS-PISCES SUPERCLUSTER
Previous night I observed two distant cluster of galaxies - Albell 426 and Abell 327. This two clusters are members of one supercluster which is 200-240 million Ly far away. Clusters of galaxies from this big supercluster are located in Perseus, Andromeda and Pisces. Tonight I tried find other clusters of this superclusters and thanks good sky conditions I was successfull:

Abell 262 - cluster of galaxies in Andromeda. Core member of this cluster is galaxy NGC708 with 12.8 mag. Other galaxies are fainter and very small. I was able to see 8 of them, the faintest had  approx 14 mag.

Cluster of galaxy NGC507 - cluster of galaxies in Pisces. Core member of this cluster is galaxy NGC507 with 11.3 mag. Again, other galaxies are fainter and very small. I was able to see 11 of them, the faintest had  approx 13.5 mag. Very interesting was NGC508, which is very faint and tiny but is extremelly close to NGC507, stronger magnification was needed here.

Cluster of galaxy NGC383 - cluster of galaxies in Pisces. Core member of this cluster is galaxy NGC383 with 12.4 mag. Other galaxies have 13-14 mag and I was able to see 10 of them. Very interesting was group of 7 galaxies which make long chain.

Group of galaxy NGC841 - small group of galaxies in Andromeda. Core member of this group is galaxy NGC841 with 12.6 mag. Other members are very faint, I was able to see only two brighter: NGC834 and NGC845 with aprox. 13.5 mag.

Group of galaxy NGC315 - small group of galaxies in Pisces. Core member of this group is galaxy NGC315 with 12.5 mag. From other members I saw only NGC311 with 13.5 mag, other members are too faint (less than 15 mag).

Group of galaxy NGC7831 - small group of four galaxies in Andromeda. Core member of this group is galaxy NGC7831 with 12.8 mag. Other three galaxies have are fainter than 13.5 mag however thanks good sky conditions were visible very well.

Vawmataw

Too bad you're in Europe, imagine if I observed DSOs with your telescope. ;D

I'm not too sure about Biurakan 4/Markarian 6/Stock 7 since it's relatively very small. I'm sure this isn't a problem for you. ;D

I found another cluster in the same constellation, Stock 12. I'm more sure I'll be able to observe it, I even wonder if I saw it 2 weeks ago without knowing.

Unfortunately, no astronomy this weekend. :(
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 06, 2019, 05:47:48 PM
yeah, sadly you are too far from me. That difference (view through 7 cm versus through 18 inch) would be breathtaking ;D

I'm not too sure about Biurakan 4/Markarian 6/Stock 7 since it's relatively very small. I'm sure this isn't a problem for you. ;D
With stronger magnification it should not be a problem, it worth the attempt.
And yeah, for me it's totally easy object ;D It's located in my favourite region with Soul and Heart Nebula so I observed it already many times.

I found another cluster in the same constellation, Stock 12. I'm more sure I'll be able to observe it, I even wonder if I saw it 2 weeks ago without knowing.
Yeah, this is good cluster.

:(
Bad forecast?

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on September 06, 2019, 06:21:11 PM
yeah, sadly you are too far from me. That difference (view through 7 cm versus through 18 inch) would be breathtaking ;D
Heart attack ;D

And yeah, for me it's totally easy object ;D It's located in my favourite region with Soul and Heart Nebula so I observed it already many times.
I guess it will be enough with a 56x zoom?
I should visit Melotte 15 right after.

Bad forecast?
Yes, the next clear night will be on Sunday, but I have to go to work the morning after.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 07, 2019, 07:58:40 AM
Heart attack ;D
Yeah ;D

I guess it will be enough with a 56x zoom?
I should visit Melotte 15 right after.
Yeah, 56x is enough. It will be small but nice group of stars.
Melotte15 is good too.

Bad forecast?
Yes, the next clear night will be on Sunday, but I have to go to work the morning after.
Few next days will be cloudy here too.

Toliman

I had mostly cloudy sky tonight but surprisingly, last two hours of night were clear. Sky conditions were just average however I went to observation.
I observed mostly brighter open clusters (like as Double Cluster, NGC663, NGC1528, M36-38, M35) + few small clusters like as NGC1907 (close to M38), NGC2158 (close to M35) and NGC1893. And also M42+43 Orion Nebula.

NGC2158 was gorgeous under strong magnification, this small cluster contains many stars, it looked almost like as globular cluster.
NGC1893 was nice too and even although average sky conditions I was able to see faint nebula IC410 very well (with UHC filter).

Except this, I saw also three brighter meteors.

Toliman

Sky was clear tonight but with full moon. Despite this, after midnight I took my telescope outside and observed Uranus with his two brightest moons, double stars and few open cluster. Seeing and tranparency were very good, only moonlight was bad...

I observed bright double stars like as Gamma Andromedae, Eta Cassiopeiae and Delta Cephei + I tested power of my new telescope on several very close double stars (arround 1 arcsec) - thanks good seeing I was successfull.
I observed also Double Cluster and few other clusters in region between Perseus and Cassiopeia, they were nice despite moonlight.

I found new target for my telescope: Pulsar in M1 Crab Nebula ;D :)  It has 16.5 mag so theoretically it should not be bigger problem for me, on dark sky and during very good sky conditions, of course (16.5 mag star I can see, I already tried on dark sky).

Vawmataw

Toliman

Hmm, it's not easy target for small telescope and urban sky however I would say that during excellent sky conditions (and enough high of M1 above horizon) you could see it faintly (faint but visible, 6 arcmin long nebulous spot). Did you try it during good sky conditions?

Vawmataw

Toliman

So you can try, if sky conditions will be good :) Although it's not easy target on urban sky.

Toliman

Yesterday and tomorrow tonight I stargazed short time again (always one hour before morning dawn when sky clear out). Sky conditions were again great, except moonlight so I again observed mostly double stars and brighter open clusters. And when Moon was on the night sky, I observed Moon surface again after longer time and it was very good, details of moon surface were sharply visible thanks good seeing.

I again tried separate some very close double stars (mostly I was successfull), observed also few easy and nice double stars (Castor, Gamma Andromedae...), observed open clusters (M35, M36-38 and some clusters in Perseus) and tried also M42+43 Orion Nebula which was gorgeous despite that moonlight. I just hope that these good night sky conditions will stay here also during new moon time, I made list of challenge deep sky for my new telescope ;D :)

Vawmataw

Finally, it will not be a memorable night :(

I identified Stock 12 and tried to find stars of NGC 225. Well, I used the Barlow lens for NGC 225, but it was not easy to see something...
I spotted the location of Biurakan 4 as well as Melotte 15.

The transparency was not ideal so I couldn't observe Neptune since there was no star I could use in the sky.

Other objects: Saturn, M15, M57, M45, Double cluster, Stock 2, Kemble 2

Toliman

Good that you saw something :) Hope that you will have better sky conditions at next observation.

Tonight I had clear night sky too. I observed some deep sky before moonrise. Sky conditions were quite good here.

I observed globular clusters M13, M15, M2, M56, M71 and NGC6760, planetary neulae M57 and M27, NGC884+869 Double Cluster and few other open clusters (M29, NGC6910, Stock 2, Trumpler 2, Stock 5, M103, NGC663, NGC457, M52 and NGC7789).

Except this I observed also Saturn and Neptune, I was able to see his moon Triton too.

Toliman

Last week, weather is not too good for astronomy (sky was mostly cloudy) however forecast for tonight said that sky should clear out after midnight so before midnight  I decided go away from my city and spend at least few hours under dark sky. Forecast was right and before 2:00am I started with observation.
Sky conditions were epic, considering by brightness of zodiacal light, almost whole zodiacal bridge was visible and it even seemed being yellowish while milky way was silver-white.

I observed details of Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies, few galaxies of one distant supercluster and nebulae in Orion.

M31 ANDROMEDA GALAXY
I observed star cloud NGC206, his grained structure was easily visible (with stronger magnification) and quite impressive and I was able again see the brightest star of Andromeda Galaxy, which I observed recently.
I also observed dust lines and structures near NGC206, the most distinctive were dust clouds D23 and D39. I also easily found globular cluster G76 which is located very close to dust cloud D39. I would say, that this region is one of the best beauties of Andromeda Galaxy.
I also again observed G1, the brightest globular cluster of Andromeda Galaxy. With strong magnification, I was able determine his core and see also her fainter peripheral parts. Btw, there are two fainter stars very close to this globular cluster, it looked almost like as M13 through little binocular xD (there are two brighter stars quite close to M13 too)

M33 TRIANGLULUM GALAXY
I used UHC filter and observed structure of the brightest nebulous regions of this galaxy: NGC406, NGC588, NGC595 and NGC592. With strong magnification, I was able see some details of NGC604 structure - irregular shape, bright central part with fainter peripheral regions. Other three looked only like as brighter nebulous spots, however their irregular shape was easily recognizable.
My next target was stellar association IC142 which contains the brightest star of Triangulum Galaxy (approx.16.5 mag). I saw and identified this star without bigger problems and I realised that I already saw this star when I recently observed IC142, I just considered her as star from our galaxy xD.

PISCES-CETUS SUPERCLUSTER
I again tried observe some faint and very distant galaxies and I was successfull with this. This superclusters contains many clusters of galaxies in distance 540-800 Ly and their galaxies are fainter than 14-15 mag. I successfully observed few galaxies of three clusters:

Abell 072 - clusters of gaaxies in Pisces, probably the closest cluster of this supercluster. I was able see here four galaxies: IC1565, IC1566, IC1568 and IC1569. All these gaaxies are very small, IC1556 was the brightest.

Abell 160 - clusters of galaxies in Pisces. I was able see only two galaxies here: IC1545 and IC1546. Also these were very small and faint, just two little nebulous spots.

Abell 119 - cluster of galaxies in Cetus. I was able to see only two galaxies: IC307 and IC 308. They looked almost like as previous two, just a bit brighter.

M1 CRAB NEBULA
This was gorgeous tonight. Filamental structure of this nebula was nice visible and I was able to see also pulsar in central part of this nebula - it was visible as tiny 16.5 mag star. This was one of the most memorable thing which I saw, impressive mosaic of nebulous filaments and one tiny star (that pulsar) between these structures...

NEBULAE IN ORION
This was nice final part of my observation. Structure of M42+43 was again incredible, I always think that already nothing can surprise me and I am always stunned again xD . I also tried nice M78 and NGC2024 Flaming Tree Nebula which was already fainter but awesome too.
After these bright nebulae I tried few faint nebulae in Orion. At first I observed NGC1788 (nebula around one 10 mag star, nice structure!) and then I observed NGC1973 (faint but interesting, contains interesting dark nebula).
And after these nebulae I tried also very faint IC434. I tried my nebulae filters and when I used H-beta, I was totally stunned - nebula was faint, but good visible and I also saw dark nebulae B33 Horsehead Nebula! I already saw this nebula earlier with my previous telescope however now, thanks combination of 18 inch telescope and H-beta filter it was something totally different, unforgetabe view.

After this I again observed beauty of M42+43 Orion nebula while end of night slowly came and zodiacal light above eastern horizont was replaced by light of dawn xD
I am glad that forced myself to this short (and a bit unplanned) journey from my city (I was tired after week) because sky conditons were really excellent. Unfortunatelly today clouds came back and forecast for next night is quite unsure...

Vawmataw

I stargazed a bit tonight :)

Tonight was the International Observe the Moon Night so I observed the Moon and took pictures of it.
I actually observed moons and not just the Moon: Callisto, Ganymede, Europa and Titan. ;D

I also observed M13, M34, M45, M92, NGC 752, NGC 869, NGC 884, Stock 2 as well as a meteor. :)

Toliman

Good that you could stargaze :) I have clouds and rain few last days...

Will you post your Moon image here?

Vawmataw

Toliman

Toliman

Today sky was completelly clear and excelent transparent so I again tried do daytime astronomy ;D Recently I tried it with my 12 inch telescope previous year. Today it was far more easy thanks my new 18 inch telescope and great sky condition.

I observed between 12:00pm and 16:00pm and I sucessfully found and observed Venus, Mercury, Mars and few brighter stars (Arcturus, Vega, Deneb, Alpha Coronae Borealis, Izar, Polaris, Beta Ursae Minoris, Alpha Ursae Majoris, Epsilon Ursae Majoris, Eta Ursae Majoris, Gamma Cygni and Albireo). Double star Albireo was quite interesting - first orange star (3.1 mag) was visible without problems and second bluish star (5.1 mag) was visible with stronger magnification, quite hardly but it was detectable thanks great sky conditions. Also I would say that (on daytime sky) reddish and orange stars are far more easy observable than white and bluish stars. Also Mars was very easy visible although his brightness is currently not big.

Finding of stars on daytime sky is not easy however I already found technique  how do it. And also planets which I observed were quite close to the Sun so the biggest caution was absolutelly needed.