Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Vawmataw

A question: Do you watch the ISS passes? I'm a fan of the evening passes (the morning, I sleep).

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on April 07, 2015, 07:39:32 PM
A question: Do you watch the ISS passes?

I observe ISS at night only occasionally because ISS is not my primary target on night sky.

But I like observe sun transit of ISS through my telescope with solar filter. This is very interesting and nice, but  relative rare phenomenon (it is visible only from very narrow zone on Earth surface)

This image shows what you can see during ISS sun transit through telescope with solar filter:

Quote from: Vawmataw on April 07, 2015, 07:39:32 PM
I'm a fan of the evening passes (the morning, I sleep).
You are evening astronomer  ;D  I am very often overnight astronomer  :)

Vawmataw

I watch it from time to time because I forget it, the weather doesn't help and it's not my primary target.

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

I have never saw picture where is ISS . It looks nice. ;)
And I have never watched the night sky with telescope. :-[
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Toliman

Yesterday night I had almost clear sky with very good sky conditions after long time. Thanks warm weather, night was very nice. I observed especially galaxies and globular clusters.

First half of night I observed especially bright galaxies in spring constellations. Very nice were M81 and M82 in Ursa Major. Especially amazing were powder structures in M82.  Very interesting were spiral arms of M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy), powder belt in M104 (Sombrero galaxy) and big dark spot in M 64 (Black Eye Galaxy).

Second half of night I observed especially globular clusters. Very nice  were M13, M5, M3, M 10, M12 and M22. (M22 and M13 are on dark sky amazing)
On end, I observed NGC 7000 North America Nebula and NGC6960+6992 Veil Nebula in Cygnus. Both are on dark sky very interesting objects.

And before morning twilight I saw very bright meteor (approx. -2 mag).

Vawmataw

uniltiranyu aean

Im also in love with the space :D

I was in ESOC [ESA/ESOC - European Space Operations Centre] in eh Darmstadt, Germany. Don't know if someone knows it? but they work with NASA together hihi.
You can write me in Italian, French, German and of course in English.

Eywa ngahu

uniltiranyu aean

Quote from: Toliman on April 16, 2015, 03:20:22 PM
Yesterday night I had almost clear sky with very good sky conditions after long time. Thanks warm weather, night was very nice. I observed especially galaxies and globular clusters.

First half of night I observed especially bright galaxies in spring constellations. Very nice were M81 and M82 in Ursa Major. Especially amazing were powder structures in M82.  Very interesting were spiral arms of M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy), powder belt in M104 (Sombrero galaxy) and big dark spot in M 64 (Black Eye Galaxy).

Second half of night I observed especially globular clusters. Very nice  were M13, M5, M3, M 10, M12 and M22. (M22 and M13 are on dark sky amazing)
On end, I observed NGC 7000 North America Nebula and NGC6960+6992 Veil Nebula in Cygnus. Both are on dark sky very interesting objects.

And before morning twilight I saw very bright meteor (approx. -2 mag).

oh im so jealous!! I only have the pictures of the internet and when we are in italy (some family members have land there, not in town. So you can see the stars sooo good!).
You can write me in Italian, French, German and of course in English.

Eywa ngahu

Toliman

Next nice short observation. I am last several days on village with very dark sky. Yesterday (exactly today  ;D) one hours before morning twilight I have very good sky condition. Atmosphere was totally clear and milky way brightly shone. I took advantage for observing of amazing objects in Scorpius and Sagittarius (it's often not easy for their low declination).

I observe especially four bright nebulaes: M8 Lagoon Nebula, M20 Trifid Nebula, M 17 Swan Nebula and M16 Eagle Nebula (in Serpens). Amazing were mainly M8 and M17. Very nicely was visible dark bay in central part of M8.

I observed also M24 (Sagittarius small cloud) - very bright part of milky way. Through telescope was very interesting - huge amount of little stars with two little dark nebulae (Barnard 92 and 93) and small open cluster NGC6603.

I observe several globular cluster. Very nice was M4 in Scorpius (sometimes called as "star cemetery"). This cluster has very interesting structure. Next amazing globular cluster is also M22 in Sagittarius.

After this observation I saw amazing colorfull morning twilight and sunrise with nice birdsong ... I want more similar mornings  ;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma uniltiranyu aean (sì Vamataw), you should see if there is an astronomy club in your area, and get involved with them. Often, they will own better equipment than you will be able to individually afford.

Ma Toliman, very good on all those objects. Especially interesting was your observation of dust lanes (powder structures) in M82. I have never been able to see much detail in that object.

I was in Las Vegas and Pahrump, Nevada all last week for a broadcaster's convention. Just prior to, and immediately after, I spent several days at a friend's place in Pahrump. Even though Pahrump is only about 50 miles outside of Las Vegas, the skies there were really excellent. I didn't take my telescope (which I usually do when I go there) because it was a business trip, and I knew I would be busy most evenings. Now I know that was a mistake, as we had a new moon while I was there, and would have had a fine evening under the stars, with animal friends nearby!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 22, 2015, 04:17:56 PM
Ma Toliman, very good on all those objects. Especially interesting was your observation of dust lanes (powder structures) in M82. I have never been able to see much detail in that object.

More detailed observation og galaxies is very difficult and and requires a lot of experience and a dark sky. These details are usually very subtle and often indistinguishable at first glance. I observe galaxies quite often.
More detailed observations of galaxies requires at least 12inch telescope (my experience). My friends have 8inch and 16 inch telescopes, so I can compare with my 12inch telescope. The difference between the view through 8inch telescope and 12inch telescope is quite large, while the difference between the view through 12inch telescope and 16 inch telescope is not such big as in first case.

Did you observed M82 through your 8inch telescope or larger telescope?

Vawmataw

It's not a bad idea, since going alone to dark-sky sites alone isn't a good one. I would participate to some star parties and trips. I will see that in the future.

Toliman

Now I observed shortly Moon surface after very very long time through my 12 inch telescope (from my garden).  :D
(I observe mainly DSO, so I prefer sky without Moon)

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on May 02, 2015, 05:58:10 PM
Now I observed shortly Moon surface after very very long time through my 12 inch telescope (from my garden).  :D
(I observe mainly DSO, so I prefer sky without Moon)
It's fun to observe the Moon and to take pictures of it. :)

Tonight, I observed 125 Taurii (next to Venus), Jupiter, Mercury, the Full Moon and Venus.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 03, 2015, 07:50:52 PM
Tonight, I observed 125 Taurii (next to Venus), Jupiter, Mercury, the Full Moon and Venus.

Good work! Mercury has now very good visibility so I would like observe this, but weather is now cloudy. (But there is a hope for change  :) )

Can you see any details on Jupiter through your telescope? I can see structure of some belts (in depend on sky conditions), Great Red Spot and shadows of his moons. It's very nice.

Vawmataw

I'm afraid my telescope is way not powerful enough to see the details of Jupiter very well. What I can see is its four moons, like Galileo did. I can also see the belt of Saturn.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 03, 2015, 08:21:43 PM
I can also see the belt of Saturn.

Belt of Saturn? You think "rings of Saturn"?

Belts on Saturn are very feeble. I can see several belts on Saturn only when sky conditions are very good, but currently observing of more details on Saturn is not easy for his low declination.  :(

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on May 04, 2015, 07:26:25 AM
Quote from: Vawmataw on May 03, 2015, 08:21:43 PM
I can also see the belt of Saturn.

Belt of Saturn? You think "rings of Saturn"?

Belts on Saturn are very feeble. I can see several belts on Saturn only when sky conditions are very good, but currently observing of more details on Saturn is not easy for his low declination.  :(
What the pineapple did I write? Sorry. :x