Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Also they released a new picture of Betelgeuse.

Seems like there's something blocking the light of Betelgeuse.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Yeah, seems that really yes. Variability of brightness is common in case of old massive stars like as Betelgeuse, but this (recently decrease) is quite big difference.

Vawmataw

Toliman

Vawmataw

So I watched Venus disappear behind the houses. :D

Toliman

Ewa'tuì

Me and my boyfriend went out into a field last night just to look at the stars. It recently snowed here, so it was really cold, but totally worth it!
The night sky is so beautifully expansive. I was so excited to point out all the constellations I knew, Orion's belt, big and little dipper, etc.
It was awesome!  :P

Vawmataw

Toliman

Yeah, it is ;D :)

Ma Ewa tuì, are you more interested in astronomy?

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Toliman on February 22, 2020, 12:30:36 PM
Yeah, it is ;D :)

Ma Ewa tuì, are you more interested in astronomy?

I've always loved Astronomy! I used to love pointing out planets to my friends and explaining why they don't blink like other stars, because it's in our solar system with nothing to block the light momentarily and make them blink. I've been wanting to invest in a telescope.
I was especially introduced to Astronomy and became interested from my grandmother. I have a fond memories of her.

I remember staying at her house, everyone asleep, my parents and my brother included. She pokes my shoulder and asked, with a lantern in her hand, "Do you want to see the meteor shower with me?". She chose me because she knew how I loved to glare at the stars, and my brother didn't have patience. For her to think of me was so sweet to me.
We sat and ate sandwiches and sat in low chairs, looking at the sky. She is still living, and I call her sometimes telling her when the meteor showers are and if there are any special events or eclipses. It really makes me happy.

Toliman

That is nice :) I love astronomy too.

Quote from: Ewa tuì on February 23, 2020, 08:32:43 AM
I've been wanting to invest in a telescope.
And how it is now, will you invest in a telescope?

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Toliman on February 23, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
That is nice :) I love astronomy too.

Quote from: Ewa tuì on February 23, 2020, 08:32:43 AM
I've been wanting to invest in a telescope.
And how it is now, will you invest in a telescope?

Just maybe, not sure what kind to get. I guess it depends on what I plan on doing with it, if I want to simply look at stars or just the moon. Also depends how much money I really want to invest into the hobby. Telescopes can be expensive.

Toliman

Yeah, all is about money ;D Telescopes can be really expensive, especially bigger pieces. I have small telescope when I started with astronomy (many years ago) and I latter invested into bigger telescopes, now I have one really big (18 inch Dobsonian telescope).

I would say that Dobsonian telescopes are very good choice (if you want bigger telescope with more or less acceptable price). But you can see many nice things already through small refractor of little binoculars, depends on light pollution (sadly), do you live in place with dark (or reasonable dark) sky?

Ewa'tuì

Quote from: Toliman on February 23, 2020, 10:32:00 AM
do you live in place with dark (or reasonable dark) sky?

Kinda, sorta. There aren't any big cities near me, but there are small towns with a small amount of light pollution. I would say it's pretty clear out whenever I go.

Toliman

Good that you had just small sources of light pollution (surely better that life in big city). Can you see milky way from your home?

Vawmataw

Toliman

Toliman

Crazy evening today... before sunset, sky was finally almost clear here (after many cloudy days) so I started hope for a little stargazing. And sky was almost clear even in time of evening twilight so I took my telescope on the garden and started with observation. It was quite nice, I looked on Venus, few double stars and briefly also some brighter deepsky (M45, M44, M42+43, M35, M36-38, M46, M47). But this nice time was not too long... after half of hour dark clouds come and super heavy rain started to fall... just few second after I took my telescope back to home. After next 30 minutes it stoped and sky was again almost clear so I took little binocular and went on the garden again... and guess what - next clouds and rain just 15 minutes after it ;D

Vawmataw

Toliman