Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Yeah, it's right now :) How looks your weather, any hope for stargazing?

Vawmataw

The sky seems clear, but I don't stargaze on weekdays.

Toliman

Here it's cloudy again... weather was not too good here at first months of this year (warm temperatures but quite a lot of clouds), I hope that spring will be better.

Vawmataw

Toliman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Oaretsyìpri eltur tìtxen si

I wonder how stable its orbit is?

Its been a long time since I have had an opportunity to do any observing on my own. The job search, and constantly having to take contract work as I get it has hampered most of my hobbies.

But tomorrow night, we have favorable weather, a favorable moon, and a break in the insanity the last year of my life has been. So maybe its time to break out the big 'scope and do some astronomy!

There is one caveat though: A bear was recently sighted in our neighborhood, and there is some evidence the zoo attracted it. If a bear kills you, there is a very good chance it will feed on you. They tend to kill by decapitation, which means you will never know what hit you ;) And two hights ago, something went running at high speed down the road in front of the house. I was half expecting it to be pursued by the bear, as bears are not picky about their sources of protein.  From the patter it made, it was probably a dog or coyote. Deer (which frequent my yard at night) make a different sound, and tend to be more laid back.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A few random notes:

Betelgeuse is starting to brighten again, right about the time they predicted it would. I think we will learn a lot about star variability from this Betelgeuse event.

Ma Ewa Tuì, you have at least three active astronomers here who would be more than happy to help you make a good choice on a telescope. Like Toliman, I have a 16 inch Dobsonian and an 8 inch Schmitt Cassegrain, both of which get a lot of use. But there are plenty of good, affordable small 'scopes out there as well. Even an 8 inch Dob is not that expensive, and will give you a lifetime of observing.

And has anyone here had a chance to play with the new Celestron StarSense 'scope? You attach a smartphone to a telescope, and the smartphone uses its camera to identify the night sky it sees, and tells you what you can see. One really cool feature is, if you pick up the telescope and move it, it holds its alignment! We got an early model of this 'scope at the Planeterium, and we are routinely using it for public viewings now.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 25, 2020, 10:30:47 PM
Oaretsyìpri eltur tìtxen si
I wonder how stable its orbit is?
Yeah, I wonder too.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 25, 2020, 10:46:17 PM
And has anyone here had a chance to play with the new Celestron StarSense 'scope? You attach a smartphone to a telescope, and the smartphone uses its camera to identify the night sky it sees, and tells you what you can see. One really cool feature is, if you pick up the telescope and move it, it holds its alignment! We got an early model of this 'scope at the Planeterium, and we are routinely using it for public viewings now.
It sounds interesting. I have not this, I still prefer paper star charts and good knowledge of night sky ;D :) But in any case it sounds interesting :) Does it work well?

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 25, 2020, 10:46:17 PM
Betelgeuse is starting to brighten again, right about the time they predicted it would. I think we will learn a lot about star variability from this Betelgeuse event.
Yeat, it we surelly will. True, now it againstart be a brighter.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The StarSense scope/app works very well for what it is. It consists of a modest telescope (several different styles are sold with the accessory) with a special adapter to hold a smartphone. There is a mirror in the adapter that allows the smartphone's camera to see the sky the 'scope is pointed at. The app takes a picture of the sky and compares it to its internal star chart to see where it is pointed. It then displays on the screen where the 'scope is pointed, and then the operator corrects any error with a moveable on-screen crosshairs. The app then tracks along with the sky using a combination of gyro information from the phone's inertial measurement uint and additional sky pictures. It is intended for brighter objects, typical of what the 'scope it is attached to is designed for. You can select an object to look at, and on-screen prompting tells you which direction to move the 'scope to get there. It works decently enough that we use it most nights we do public astronomy. We usually use it in conjunction with a larger 'scope with a more traditional goto system. That said, there is nothing stopping one from mounting the StarSense adapter on a larger 'scope, and we are considering actually trying this.  I would not be surprised if Celestron doesn't end up selling just the adapter and the app for use with any 'scope.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 26, 2020, 03:02:58 PM
The StarSense scope/app works very well for what it is.
Great!
It sounds interesting, it can be usefull.

Toliman

Galactic Cosmic Rays Affect Titan's Atmosphere
https://www.almaobservatory.org/en/press-release/galactic-cosmic-rays-affect-titans-atmosphere/

Planetary scientists using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) revealed the secrets of the atmosphere of Titan, the largest moon of Saturn. The team found a chemical footprint in Titan's atmosphere indicating that cosmic rays coming from outside the Solar System affect the chemical reactions involved in the formation of nitrogen-bearing organic molecules. This is the first observational confirmation of such processes, and impacts the understanding of the intriguing environment of Titan. Titan is attracting much interest because of its unique atmosphere with a number of organic molecules that form a pre-biotic environment.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Last night, I finally got out under the stars from my home and enjoyed a night of astronomy! First time I have observed from home since early last summer. I used my 16 inch (40.6 cm) Dobsonian.

Before I used it, I cleaned the primary mirror. It had mouse urine on it, from a mouse that apparently got out on it, relieved itself, and then apparently had trouble getting off the mirror, as the wetness was making it slippery (or the mouse was dribbling urine, which I have also observed). Using just distilled water and 99% isopropyl alcohol, the mirror cleaned right up, with  no damage from the urine. When I went to collimate the ;scope afterwards, there was almost no adjustment needed. I have done a lot of work to improve the stability of the optics in this 'scope and it is paying off.

I decided to keep the scope (no puns intended!) of my observing to just certain areas of the sky, and get more in depth, rather than try and look at everything (easy stuff, that is). I started out in Orion, aligning the 'scope on a dim Betelgeuse. I explored the head and shoulders of the constellation, looking at objects like planetary nebula NGC2022 and big open cluster Collinder 69. I also scanned back and forth across Barnard's loop, which I usually have good luck seeing. Although not impressive in most 'scopes, it is easy to observe. I made quick visits to M78 and M42, as well as looking around Alnitak to see if looking for the Horsehead nebula was going to ne worth a try. It wasn't. (I have never observed the Horsehead or the Flame Nebula.)

After a brief excursion to M1, the Crab Nebula, I moved into Monoceros. There, I took a look at the Rosette Nebula and its embedded star cluster NGC2244. I generally find that MGC2244 is more interesting to look at than the surrounding nebula unless you have excellent sky conditions (which they were only average). I found the same thing with the Christmas Tree Cluster and the Cone Nebula (NGC2264). The cluster was there (and beautiful), the nebula practically invisible, even with a UHC filter. Hubble's Variable Nebula (NGC2261) was not visible, for whatever reason. I have observed this object before. On the way over to Monoceros, I found open cluster NGC2186. Not very bright, but a gorgeous splash of tiny stars. This may become an object I will frequently revisit.

I then resolutely moved towards Leo and Leo minor, both placed about as well in the sky as they could be for this time of year. On the way, I stopped and checked out a few objects in the area. M44, the Beehive Cluster, and underappreciated M67, both in Cancer. However, one of the objects on my must-see shortlist for the night was NGC2419, int Intergalactic Wanderer globular cluster. I don't get a lot of chances to observe this object, but I am trying to change that. It is the farthest away globular cluster than you can see, but still in our galaxy. It is not very bright, but it is the only globular cluster solidly placed in the winter sky. If you have never tried to observe this cluster, it is worth a try. It is easy to locate once you learn its pointer stars.

The first object in Leo, as almost always, is the lion star, Regulus itself. Regulus is a multiple star system, but its widely separated components can be hard to see or discern. I still can't claim success. But perhaps the highlight of the entire evening was my first glimpse of the dwarf galaxy Leo 1. A few months back, I did a presentation on observing in Leo and Leo Minor. In the process, I learned some useful tips about how one might observe this fairly bright dwarf galaxy that happens to be in the shadow of a first magnitude star. The secret was to realize 1.) It is farther from Regulus than you think, 2.) It is a relatively big and very diffuse object, and 3.) There are reliable pointer stars you can use to find it. Not much to see, other than a distinct brightening in the background, like moving across a dim nebula. Although reasonably sure of my observation, I want to try 1 or 2 more times before I can honestly claim seeing it.

From Leo 1, I went exploring the galaxies in the lion's face, as well as planetary nebula EGB6. I have frequently looked for this supposedly big planetary nebula, and never observed it. I worked my way north in this area until reaching galaxy NGC2903, one of my favorite objects. This ranks with M65/66, M96/96 and M105 as the finest deep sky objects in Leo.

I then skipped into Leo Minor, and spent quite a bit of time looking for galaxies. I did not find everything I went looking for, and part of that was average sky transparency. Among galaxies I did find (and trying to remember accurately!) NGC3277, NGC3414, NGC3504 and several others. I did not find NGC3003, which is supposed to be a showy galaxy, but doesn't always show. (Leo minor contains almost no notable objects.)

I moved down into Leo, to finish the lion's share (all puns intended) of my observing for the night. I started out with the double star Algeiba. When this star is up, I will often use it over Alberio as an example of a fine double star. I worked my way down to M95 and M96, stopping at a a few dimmer galaxies along the way. I usually use my 35mm eyepiece to look at M96 and M96 as a pair. But this time, I bumped up the magnification with my 20mm eyepiece. It was worthwhile, as quite a bit of detail could be observed in these galaxies with a little more power. From there, I moved up slightly to M105. This is often described as two galaxies, but there is a third galaxy there as well, that is a lot harder to see (NGC3384). But despite just average transparency, I could see this galaxy, especially if I used averted vision. Slipping along the lion's belly (which I tell the public is full of galaxies the great star lion has 'eaten'), I checked out a few galaxies on my way to M65 and M66. As usual, these two galaxies did not disappoint. Often referred to as the 'Leo triplet', M65 and M66 share a low power field with NGC3628.  I had trouble locating the latter galaxy until I figured out the view was inverted in the big Dob. Once I found it, it was very visible. I think in retrospect, transparency improved as the night wore on, or I just became more experienced as an observer. I then tried the same trick I had tried with M95 and M96, with the 20 mm eyepiece. Not only did it improve the view, but I was able to get all three galaxies in the same eyepiece view! It was close enough that I doubt this would work with my 8 inch (20.3 cm) Schmidt Cassegrain 'scope I often use for public observing, or more casual private observing. (The focal length of the big Dob is 1800 mm, the focal lengh of the Schmidt Cassegrain is 2000 mm.) I will definitely use this view if I am lucky enough to use the big Dob for springtime public observing.

After a brief break to check for where to look, I then tackled the last and perhaps the most important observation of the night: find Supernova sn2020ue in NGC4636. By then, Virgo was well out of the Reno skygolw. The galaxy was big and bright, and surprisingly easy to find, despite not being a Messier object in an area of the sky full of Messier objects. I carefully oriented myself to the view in my 'scope vs the astrophoto I was working from.  After making sure I understood how the field was rotated, and making sure focus was optimal, I began my search. I was able to tease out a 'star' in about the right place, using averted vision. I repeated this over and over to make sure I had seen...something. But later, when I compared what I had remembered seeing at the eyepiece, to the astrophoto, I think I managed to see a  field star near, but very definitely not the same as the reported suprenova location. I will repeat this observation in a couple of months. If I don't see this star, then I know I saw the supernova while it was bright.

In getting ready to call it a night, I made quick observations of M81/M92 (always spectacular in the big Dob, especially with a clean mirror!) and M38 in Auriga. By then, Auriga was low enough in the sky that it was time to call it a night. I made one last observing stop at NGC188, a dim, old open cluster near the North celestial pole. In the conditions, it was hard to see. But you could see iits tiny stars peeking out, as if looking from behind a veil. Although not the best I have ever seen it,m it was a good way to end the night. But what a fine night of observing! It makes me anxious to get out and do more. (I should also point out the 'scope tracked for well over three hours on one alignment, another indication I have the mechanical part of this  homebrew 'scope working well!) But that will have to wait at least a few days, if not the next new moon. In the meantime, I have at least two public astronomy events, plus at least one project RECON asteroid occultation to do. But nothing beats using your own 'scope from your own yard! (Oh, the club's 24 inch 'scope certainly competes for that, but it is a 40 minute drive away from home, and not always available to use.)

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 28, 2020, 12:43:44 AM
Last night, I finally got out under the stars from my home and enjoyed a night of astronomy! First time I have observed from home since early last summer. I used my 16 inch (40.6 cm) Dobsonian.
Nice that you finally was able got out under stars :) Last summer was great time for astronomy here.
Also since last summer I have new 18 inch dobsonian telescope, difference is really significant ;D :)

I have never observed the Horsehead or the Flame Nebula
Hmm, still not success with Flame Nebula? For me it's not too difficult object (when sky conditions are good, of course)

In getting ready to call it a night, I made quick observations of M81/M92 (always spectacular in the big Dob, especially with a clean mirror!) and M38 in Auriga. By then, Auriga was low enough in the sky that it was time to call it a night. I made one last observing stop at NGC188, a dim, old open cluster near the North celestial pole.
Yeah, all these are nice object. M81/82 are always spectacular, same like as M36-38. From these three Messiers in Auriga, my the most favourite is M37 - I love that huge amount of tiny stars (for same reason I love also open clusters M52 and NGC7789 in Cassiopeia). And NGC188 is interesting for his possition near North celestial pole and big age.

Toliman

I had almost clear sky after evening twilight so I was able make short observation. Unfortunatelly moonlight start be already strong so I observed just Venus, double stars and few brighter cluster (M50, NGC2244, NGC2264, M44 and M67). I had only one hour of clear sky, then clouds came again. I hope for clear sky later tonight but now it seems that no hope for more stargazing tonight.

Toliman

Vawmataw

Toliman

Vawmataw

Toliman

Yeah ;D

Forecast is quite unsure but there is a little hope for clear night in few next days, it will be with moonlight but never mind, I would like to try some close double stars.