Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Vawmataw

Not much, apart from the Moon, Aldebaran and Mars.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Today I again observed the Sun - there is one bigger and one tiny sunspot, that bigger one has quite interesting structure of penumbra

Toliman

Toliman

Tonight I found time for short observation, due moonlight I observed just double stars and few brighter globular clusters. Transparency was very good so only moonlight spoiled observation hrh

Today I observed the Sun again but view was less interesting than previous days - there is only one small formation of few tiny sunspots right now... but still better than nothing hrh

Toliman

Toliman

Tonight I briefly observed again globular clusters - I again observed cores of few the bigger ones (M13, M5, M4) with using of huge magnifications, despite moonlight it was nice - whoe field of view full of huge amount of star, thanks excellent transparency it was even better than recently. Except globular clusters I also observed some another double stars + planetary nebulae M57 and M27, both were interesting through UHC and O-III filters.

Toliman

Two strange planets
https://ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2021/03/two-strange-planets.html

Uranus and Neptune both have a completely skewed magnetic field, perhaps due to the planets' special inner structures. But new experiments by ETH Zurich researchers now show that the mystery remains unsolved.

The two large gas planets Uranus and Neptune have strange magnetic fields. These are each strongly tilted relative to the planet's rotation axes and are significantly offset from the physical centre of the planet. The reason for this has been a longstanding mystery in planetary sciences. Various theories assume that a unique inner structure of these planets could be responsible for this bizarre phenomenon. According to these theories, the skewed magnetic field is caused by circulations in a convective layer, which consists of an electrically conductive fluid. This convective layer in turn surrounds a stably layered, non-?convective layer in which there is no circulation of the material due to its high viscosity and thus no contribution to the magnetic field.

Toliman

Toliman

Yesterday evening, before clouds came, I found time for short observation. I observed few open clusters (M44, M67 and M48), globular cluster NGC2419 and more galaxies (M81+82, M51, M101, NGC2903 and Leo Triplet - M65, M66, NGC3628).
Sky conditions were quite good - galaxy M101 showed me many nice details (I found this galaxy as good object for test of sky conditions).

Toliman

HUBBLE SPOTS DOUBLE QUASARS IN MERGING GALAXIES
https://hubblesite.org/contents/news-releases/2021/news-2021-14

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope is "seeing double." Peering back 10 billion years into the universe's past, Hubble astronomers found a pair of quasars that are so close to each other they look like a single object in ground-based telescopic photos, but not in Hubble's crisp view.

The researchers believe the quasars are very close to each other because they reside in the cores of two merging galaxies. The team went on to win the "daily double" by finding yet another quasar pair in another colliding galaxy duo.

Toliman

I observed Jupiter and Mars on morning sky. Conditions were not ideal (worse seeing, both planets only very low above horizon) but it was nice and also first observation of these two planets after longer time :)

Vawmataw

Mars is in the evening sky. Maybe you meant Saturn?  :-\

Toliman

Yeah, it was Saturn :-[ I mean "Saturn" but write "Mars"... I should sleep more, too tired and didn't sleep too much last days ;D

Vawmataw

Shouts at the start: I didn't get no sleep cuz of y'all

Toliman

HRH ;D ;D

Was you able observe something recently too?

Vawmataw

The curfew is now at 8pm, so no astronomy for the time being. Just Aldeberan and Mars.

Toliman

Toliman

Today morning I observed Jupiter and Saturn again. Because seeing was better than yeyterday, I was able see at least some details - still not ideal but far better than yesterday hrh Except both planets I also observed few brighter double stars in rising summer constellations.

Toliman

27 million galaxy morphologies quantified and cataloged with the help of machine learning
https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/27-million-galaxy-morphologies-quantified-and-cataloged-help-machine-learning

Using data from the Dark Energy Survey, researchers from the Department of Physics & Astronomy produced the largest catalog of galaxy morphology classifications to date.