Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

This is interesting pun:

Star Gamma Cassiopeiae (bright star at the center of the distinctive "W" shape of this constellation) hasn't traditional Arabic or Latin name.
Howewer American astronaut Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom nicknamed the star Navi after his own middle name spelled backwards. The star was used as an easily identifiable navigational reference point during space missions. Originally this name was used only for this purpose, but after tragic fire on Apollo 1 (Grissom and two other astronauts died) is this name sometimes used (in his honor).

It's simillar to Na'vi (only apostrophe missing  ;D ) and beyond this star is blue (spectral type B0 IV).

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 18, 2015, 05:51:40 PM
Oh, that prophetic pun!

And for us this can be a little compensation for us invisible Alpha Centauri. This star is from our countries cirkumpolar.  :)

Vawmataw

Toliman

And blue color of this star can be good distinct in telescope.  :)

-------

Similarly was nicknamed two other stars after two other astronauts from Apollo 1:

REGOR for Gamma Velorum after Roger Chaffee (Roger - Regor)
DNOCES for Iota Ursae Majoris after Edward H. White II. (II. = second - Dnoces)

Name Dnoces is today practically unused, but name Regor is used for Gamma Velorum relatively often.

Generaly, stars are not named after people, but this is impressive exception.

Toliman

This is interesting movement animation of many asteroids in our Solar system:

http://www.asterank.com/3d/

http://www.asterank.com/

Dreamlight

http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Toliman

;D THE (UN)OFFICIAL CLOUDY NIGHTS ASTRONOMICAL GLOSSARY  ;D

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/articles/the-unofficial-cloudy-nights-astronomical-glo-r2971

But some from this exactly describe current cloudy weather  :(

Vawmataw

HRH!

QuoteAlbedo: A large muscular man from New Jersey who collects gambling debts with a hammer.
;D
Stop! Hammer time!

archaic

Crown and Flint: Perfect name for an astronomy pub.
I'd go there for a couple of glasses.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

QuoteClear skies:
1) That which is *never* at your current location, wherever that location may be.
2) The period of time during the full Moon.
3) Very rare astronomical event to be cherished for a long time Equation to predict odds of clear skies C= M x W / E x D where C = odds of clear skies M= Moon Phase (note new moon = zero) W = Number of hours you have to work the next day (use zero if you have the day off) E= Effort which takes into account the distance you have to drive and the size and number of telescopes that you set up (The more effort the bigger the number) D=Desirability which is defined as a combination of the darkness of the skies and the rarity of the event ( Lunar eclipses and meteor showers bring especially high values to D)
;D ;D ;D
But I also must say that it's cruel true. (my experiences)  :(

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Thanks for that extremely useful guide. I've always wondered what all those terms meant ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Vawmataw

QuoteBetelguese: Goopy stuff that gets on your mirror/lens/corrector plate after a large insect lands there.
Big Bang: Result of a Gas Giant, q.v
Black hole: 1)Your eyepiece budget. 2) The bit of driveway that always trips you up in the dark.
;D ;D ;D

Toliman

QuoteCollimator: Device for intimidating newcomers from ever owning a Newtonian telescope.
Very apposite.  ;D  Many people are afraid of collimation.  At the same time, collimation is not difficult.

QuoteGreat Red Spot: Appears on your pants leg after you whack your shin on your tripod in the dark.
So then Great Red Spot can be easily visible by naked eye  ;D ;D ;D

Vawmataw

So, yesterday night I went out with my telescope. I observed Saturn, Jupiter and Venus through the telescope.

Also, I dreamt that I wanted to buy a $1000 Dobsonian telescope. It had the particularity of being able to zoom in and out with a single eyepiece.

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 29, 2015, 05:00:11 PM
Also, I dreamt that I wanted to buy a $1000 Dobsonian telescope. It had the particularity of being able to zoom in and out with a single eyepiece.
I wish you compliance of this dream  ;D. With $1000 you can have very big Dobsonian telescope  ;D (primary mirror arround 12 inch).

Toliman

^ BTW, before one week, I dreamt that I moved to Atacama Desert ... forever  ;D

----------------

Interesting random: Radiant of meteor shower Perseids is (on celestial sphere) almost on place where our Sun would be on sky from Alpha Centauri.  ;D

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on May 30, 2015, 10:09:36 AM
^ BTW, before one week, I dreamt that I moved to Atacama Desert ... forever  ;D
OMG! :O :D

ayeers

bitcoin donate from 2019.09.01 i cant recive any donation
if you want donate write me a pm with subject donate

Vawmataw

Nice! There are many good apps in the app stores.
I also heard about Star Walk.