Astronomy thread/Kìng a teri tanhìyä tìftia

Started by Vawmataw, December 31, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Go to a camera store and find a cheap used tripod. Or find one at a rummage sale, thrift store, etc. It will make a huge difference in your picture quality.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 04, 2013, 08:36:21 PM
Go to a camera store and find a cheap used tripod. Or find one at a rummage sale, thrift store, etc. It will make a huge difference in your picture quality.
Certainly.

Since I have no Parkinson disease or big stress (I hope to NOBODY these ones), it's easy to stabilize my arms by the window. If they move 1-2mm during the snapshot, it's pretty good enough.

The snapshot of Sirius succeeded
I succeeded yesterday to photography Sirius!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I love mom's camera and my mom!  :P

My camera, which has been used for Jupiter's snapshot, can't photography the star. :( But my mother's one yes.

(My) astro weekend marathon ended this morning
The weekend marathon that I did this weekend ended today.

It lasted from Friday to Today at ... 5:45am.

I observed a dozen of constellations in one evening. IN A CITY! :O (Note that sometimes, I didn't observed the complete constellation. It makes more sense. I have the chance to have a zone with few lights, which allows me to enjoy a little bit of the sky with more stars than few tens of meters away)

The marathon finished this morning with Spica, in Virgo constellation and the Corvus constellation.

During the marathon, I confirmated the observation of the Orion nebula (m42).
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Well, nice snapshot, ma Kameyu! :)
I missing some stars instead Sirius. I see only Sirius on your snapshot. ???

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 05, 2013, 04:50:05 PM
Well, nice snapshot, ma Kameyu! :)
I missing some stars instead Sirius. I see only Sirius on your snapshot. ???
Thanks.

My camera is not professional and you can only snapshot 2-3 stars which are in the negative magnitude (so the brightest stars) with it.

Everyone like you have this type of camera, I'm sure.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Sirius is so bright compared to the background that this is what you will get for a result.

I have a handheld shot of the eclipsed moon that took like 30 tries to get even reasonably steady (bracing myself against a vehicle). I'll find that and post it. I also have a nice shot of Venus and Regulus, but that was done with a tripod.

Good job on the constellations!

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 05, 2013, 05:06:34 PM
I also have a nice shot of Venus
Ain't nobody in middle school and high school got time for that. :( We finish school too late.

I have a handheld shot of the eclipsed moon that took like 30 tries to get even reasonably steady (bracing myself against a vehicle). I'll find that and post it. I also have a nice shot of Venus and Regulus, but that was done with a tripod.
I have a tripod with my ''toy'' telescope. But it is soooo small.

Good job on the constellations!
Thanks.

Vawmataw

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

By Andromeda, do you mean the constellation, or the Andromeda galaxy (M31)?

M31 is easily visible in a dark sky with the unaided eye, and is the most distant object easily seen with the naked eye.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

The constellation.

The dark city sky is not so dark!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Have you seen Leo yet?  :) As a challenge, see if you can also see Leo Minor. I often use that constellation as a test of 'seeing'.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 08, 2013, 04:38:41 PM
Have you seen Leo yet?  :) As a challenge, see if you can also see Leo Minor. I often use that constellation as a test of 'seeing'.
Not yet.

It is in the wrong direction (north-east, not in the south-west) and it's cloudy now.

It would interesting to find them. But I need to go outside and I don't think if I will. :-\

Vawmataw

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Tomorrow night, our club is going to make its first try at observing a star occultation by a Kuiper belt object. We will be trying this with a variety of telescopes, including a 'scope provided to us for this purpose by the RECON project http://tnorecon.net/about-the-project/ This is our first 'test drive', and we will soon be trying again with a specially built integrating video camera. I will try and get some pictures of our effort, but we will be observing under strict lights-out conditions.

UPDATE: Four of us set up telescopes. Only one was ready early enough, the rest of us were ready too close to the occultation time. We are not sure everyone was looking in the right spot. It turns out that this was a main belt asteroid, and the asteroid was visible along with the star. The one person wo saw it timed it, and his observation was within 0.1 seconds of the expected length. We spent the rest of the evening troubleshooting what happened. For telescopes, we had 1, 11 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain; 2, 8 inch Schmidt-Cassegrains (one of them was mine), all on go-to tracking mounts, and an 8 or 10 inch go-to Dobsonian, the first of its type I have seen.

I got distracted right before I was supposed to leave, and forgot to grab a camera. However, I doubt I would have gotten good pictures in the semi-darkness. Next time, we will try this at my house, where I have much darker skies.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 10, 2013, 12:47:44 AM
Tomorrow night, our club is going to make its first try at observing a star occultation by a Kuiper belt object. We will be trying this with a varieety of telescopes, including a 'scope provided to us for this purpose by the RECON project http://tnorecon.net/about-the-project/ This is our first 'test drive', and we will soon be trying again with a specially built integrating video camera. I will try and get some pictures of our effort, but we will be observing under strict lights-out conditions.
OMG. Good luck! :)

Vawmataw

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The moon and the planet Mercury from the evening of February 12th. Mercury is the small dot in the bottom center. This is a very good apparition of Mercury, and is easily visible with the naked eye even in the sunset skyglow. (The exposure chosen minimized this skyglow) Enjoy it while you can, about 45 minutes after sunset!

Exposure was 1/13th of a second at F4.5, 12800 ISO

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

Nice shot. I took one like that when I lived in the mountains of North East Washington State. Unfortunately, it was in the one bag that Hawaiian Airlines managed to LOSE on the flight from Honolulu to L.A..
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Vawmataw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 14, 2013, 04:01:31 AM
The moon and the planet Mercury from the evening of February 12th. Mercury is the small dot in the bottom center. This is a very good apparition of Mercury, and is easily visible with the naked eye even in the sunset skyglow. (The exposure chosen minimized this skyglow) Enjoy it while you can, about 45 minutes after sunset!

Exposure was 1/13th of a second at F4.5, 12800 ISO
Oh my god! So beautiful!

Quote from: Niri Te on February 14, 2013, 07:22:21 AM
Unfortunately, it was in the one bag that Hawaiian Airlines managed to LOSE on the flight from Honolulu to L.A..
So sad :( However, you have at least observed Mercury.

Vawmataw

Vawmataw