Cloning Dinosaurs

Started by ZombiezuRFER, August 23, 2010, 11:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

Quote from: bommel on August 24, 2010, 12:26:00 AM
I'm no friend of genetic engineering, not because of religious believes but because we don't know anything about the long term effects... preventing zombie apocalypse, you know ;)

Why worry ... we've carried out genetic engineering for long before we even had the term ... after all what is animal husbandry?

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

bommel

Quote from: Kekerusey on August 30, 2010, 11:23:42 AM
Why worry ... we've carried out genetic engineering for long before we even had the term ... after all what is animal husbandry?

Keke
That's not what I was thinking of. I was thinking of genetical manipulation like adding or removing certain genes in a lab. And that's what I'm afraid of (also think about what could happen if companies like Monsato would become monopolists...)

Kekerusey

Quote from: bommel on August 31, 2010, 02:03:17 AMThat's not what I was thinking of. I was thinking of genetical manipulation like adding or removing certain genes in a lab. And that's what I'm afraid of (also think about what could happen if companies like Monsato would become monopolists...)

But that's my point, we've been doing it for a long time ... genetic manipulation is just a different way of doing the same kind of thing (albeit more powerful) :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 06, 2010, 03:13:47 PM
But that's my point, we've been doing it for a long time ... genetic manipulation is just a different way of doing the same kind of thing (albeit more powerful) :)
However natural protection mechanisms prevent those extreme modifications possible by genetic engineering. It is well possible that those genetic obstacles formed in complex organisms, because at some point the result of combining genes of too different species are unstable.

I am a proponent for genetic research. But not genetic manipulation for profit and commerce. We still lack too much knowledge in the field, as that we could do genetic maipulation in a sane way. Just look at the crude methods used to implant foreign DNA into cells, and those methods don't even allow you to insert those sequences at specific places. It's like spraying a computer's memory with a code in the hope it will eventually get executed in a matching context, Yes, this method works, but it's a rather dirty trick and the targeted program is most likely to crash afterwards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heap_spraying