DNA replication visual with narration.

Started by Txur’Itan, February 25, 2014, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Tìtstewan

Awesome simulation, especially the DNA replication! :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Eltur tìkxen si nìwotx!

I was not aware that one strand of the DNA had to be copied backwards.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

archaic

Me either, in fact it makes little sense to me that it is.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Eana Unil

How complex and fragile life is. Wou nì'aw.  :o

Txur’Itan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 26, 2014, 09:41:34 PM
Eltur tìkxen si nìwotx!

I was not aware that one strand of the DNA had to be copied backwards.

Quote from: archaic on February 28, 2014, 10:50:55 AM
Me either, in fact it makes little sense to me that it is.

Hydrogen bonding patterns produce a base-paired DNA/RNA sequence. So, if I understand a these molecules correctly enough, this occurs because each half of the genetic molecule is a mirror collection of the other side.

Code (DNA) Select

Strand 1 -> A T C G A T T G A G C T C T A G C G
   Strand 2 -> T A G C T A A C T C G A G A T C G C

Code (RNA) Select

Strand 1 -> A U C G A U U G A G C U C U A G C G
   Strand 2 -> U A G C U A A C U C G A G A U C G C

Quote from: Eana Unil on February 28, 2014, 10:55:36 AM
How complex and fragile life is. Wou nì'aw.  :o

Srane!  ;D
私は太った男だ。

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The two strands are a mirror image of each other, but the strand itself has a very definite 'directionality' to it, and that might be what requires it to be transcribed backwards.

Yawey ngahu!

archaic

Indeed it does have a 'directionality' to it, but I feel it unlikely that requires it to be transcribed backwards.
This is a duplication, the two halves unzip, each half has a fresh mirror image assembled to it giving rise to two new complete sets.
but if you're just un-zipping and matching nucleotides into pairs, why bother creating a complex mechanism to run one duplicate the other way round?

The two halves run in counter directions, so it wouldn't matter which end the duplication began, one strand will always be one way round, the other the opposite way round. What exists to require those nucleotides to be packed one way but prevent them being packed the other? It's not as if they're stacked one on top of the other.   

:-\ ???

Txur’Itan

Quote from: archaic on March 01, 2014, 04:33:26 AM
Indeed it does have a 'directionality' to it, but I feel it unlikely that requires it to be transcribed backwards.
This is a duplication, the two halves unzip, each half has a fresh mirror image assembled to it giving rise to two new complete sets.
but if you're just un-zipping and matching nucleotides into airs, why bother creating a complex mechanism to run one duplicate the other way round?

The two halves run in counter directions, so it wouldn't matter which end the duplication began, one strand will always be one way round, the other the opposite way round. What exists to require those nucleotides to be packed one way but prevent them being packed the other? It's not as if they're stacked one on top of the other.   

:-\ ???

There is something to do with the twisting chirality of the strand, that probably has to orient the completed molecule the same direction for both halves once converted into two complete but separate duplicates of the original so that the next duplication has the correct orientation?

私は太った男だ。

archaic

But why is it important to duplicate from left to right and not right to left (metaphorically)?
Clearly it is, but why?

Txur’Itan

Quote from: archaic on March 04, 2014, 01:36:19 PM
But why is it important to duplicate from left to right and not right to left (metaphorically)?
Clearly it is, but why?

Once set, for the sake of efficiency, I do not think it would go the other way, but I doubt anyone knows for certain how the directionality was chosen/triggered.

It could be the coriolis effect that impacted these processes from the very beginning. That might even give us a clue as to where the first DNA/RNA molecules formed.
私は太った男だ。

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Each subunit of the DNA molecule consists of a sugar, a phosphate, and a base. The arrangement of these components is such that there is nothing even remotely symmetrical about the subunit. When assembled, it creates a different 'look' down the molecule depending on which direction you are looking at it from (These directions are called the '3 prime' and '5 prime' ends.) Enzymes that work on this strand are incredibly sensitive to the structure that are attaching to, so it makes sense that they can only traverse a strand in one direction, even if it does not matter (on paper) what direction the new strand is built as long as the base sequence is maintained. What is interesting is what tells the reverse transcription to start and stop as the overall transcription proceeds. In any case, as complex as this all seems, it works pretty reliably, or we wouldn't be discussing this right now ;)

Yawey ngahu!

archaic