Main Menu

Folding@home

Started by bommel, December 26, 2010, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

I switched my PS3 on to continue last night's WU and I noticed that it still needs over 1 day to complete! That WU needs almost 1 and a half day compared to my usual 6-7 hours! And I don't know why I have received such a big WU (by the way it seems that this WU is worth 1250 points and not 251 like the regular ones :))

Txantslusam Skxawng

Maybe yours go slower because you have less space on ur PS3 ( how much GB do you have ? ) And I lately installed a 320GB HDD in it and still have about 270 GB of space left.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I WU won't take more than a few Megabytes, so I don't think that it's the case.

bommel

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 06, 2011, 12:27:36 PM
Exactly. No, I think I just have received a big WU for the PS3 but I didn't know that those exist and I never had one before.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: bommel on January 06, 2011, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 06, 2011, 12:27:36 PM
Exactly. No, I think I just have received a big WU for the PS3 but I didn't know that those exist and I never had one before.
Lets hope I get also one of those :D

Talking about science, I am just making my chemistry homework :P I thought chemistry would be easy, but I was wrong, I'm on the edge of having a bad grade.

bommel

Chemistry was only interesting for me if either something burned, exploded or had some other nice effect ;)

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: bommel on January 06, 2011, 12:51:05 PM
Chemistry was only interesting for me if either something burned, exploded or had some other nice effect ;)
HRH, we haven't had a single practicum-lesson this school year, which sucks, he only showed how the thingie of Hoffman. And something else, which some substance turns into something yellow.

( That is how good I am at chemistry )

bommel

We almost have 50k points now :)

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

I've started now, too.
00:04:01 for first 1%. :)

bommel

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on January 07, 2011, 03:18:45 AM
I've started now, too.
00:04:01 for first 1%. :)
Cool! :) Which client do you use?

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

The normal Windows client.
Can this one use more than 1 CPU?

bommel

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on January 07, 2011, 03:29:24 AM
The normal Windows client.
Can this one use more than 1 CPU?
You can even use your GPU if it is strong enough. Just tell me what your specs are and I can tell you what client you could run and what to take care of.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

CPU: Intel core i3 370M (Dual-Core, 4 actions at once)
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT425M

Txantslusam Skxawng

HRH, that doesn't make any sense to me :P

bommel

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on January 07, 2011, 03:36:05 AM
CPU: Intel core i3 370M (Dual-Core, 4 actions at once)
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT425M
They have a SMP client and the GPU client could run, too (you probably need the Nvidia "Fermi" client for your GPU). Just have a look at the "Windows High Performance Page" on the folding website (you can find it under the menu item "Downloads")
There are also some guides on how to configure those clients but if you have trouble, feel free to ask!

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Can you tell the two programs to work on the same molecule?

bommel

Do you mean having two clients folding each the same project or having two clients folding together the same project? Last one isn't possible at all and first one can happen by chance. You can't select a project the task server issues one to your client. The only project specific settings you can change are the work unit size (small, normal, big, bigadv*) and if you like to accept experimental / beta projects.

*bigadv is only possible if 8 or more cores are present.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Quote from: bommel on January 07, 2011, 04:42:35 AM
Do you mean having two clients folding each the same project or having two clients folding together the same project? Last one isn't possible at all and first one can happen by chance. You can't select a project the task server issues one to your client. The only project specific settings you can change are the work unit size (small, normal, big, bigadv*) and if you like to accept experimental / beta projects.

*bigadv is only possible if 8 or more cores are present.
I meant having two clients folding together the same project.
That would have made it maybe faster.

Now:
GPU: after 40 min: 400,000 of 5,000,000 steps
CPU: after 12 min: 7,500 of 250,000 steps [with SMP]

bommel

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on January 07, 2011, 04:45:25 AM
I meant having two clients folding together the same project.
That would have made it maybe faster.
No, that is not possible. There are different projects for CPU and GPU because not all projects can be computed on a GPU for example (GPUs aren't as flexible to program as CPUs are although the situation has much imrpoved since a few years).

Maybe you should check the "Disable CPU affinity lock" on your clients and set the GPU client priority to a higher level (i. e. "low" instead of "idle"). The GPU client needs some CPU power too and with this settings you ensure that there is some free CPU power for the client to use.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

... that takes so long...

But I suppose that's normal - It runs on a Notebook  :P