Main Menu

Folding@home

Started by bommel, December 26, 2010, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txantslusam Skxawng

Since my vacation is over, I cannot let my PS3 run 24/7. I will only be able in weekend, when I'm sleeping and working, so I might get 3 or 4 WU per weekend.

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 03, 2011, 08:03:28 PM
Okay, we just got a contestant. Tree of Souls is starting a F@H groups as I post this, we cannot let them overtake us!

All available units get in line and FOLD!
And why can't they join us? Like in the time of battle, all Na'vi clans will join the LN F@H :P
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

bommel

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on January 04, 2011, 11:17:16 AM
And why can't they join us? Like in the time of battle, all Na'vi clans will join the LN F@H :P
This is an interesting thought. Maybe someone who is on Tree of Souls should ask?

judytuna

Quote from: bommel on January 04, 2011, 12:54:32 PM
Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on January 04, 2011, 11:17:16 AM
This is an interesting thought. Maybe someone who is on Tree of Souls should ask?

+1. Do we have an emissary? =)

Quote from: bommel on January 04, 2011, 09:02:15 AM
Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 04, 2011, 08:58:09 AM
How do you get those HUGE WUs ?
SMP2 + BigAdv + Bonus after 10 completed BigAdvs. But you need a computer from hell, the deadline is very short!

Can you give me a link to find out more about BigAdvs? Are they available for the GPU client yet? What is SMP2? I tried to do a search to find out what all these keywords are, but all I see are forum posts asking about them, haha. Blind tunas =(

Edit: found it http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=10697

And you're catching up to meeeeee cuz my computer's been off for a while ahh!!

=D

bommel

BigAdv is only possible on CPUs yet and as I mentioned earlier you need a very powerful system (Core i7) completely dedicated to folding in order to gain such high amount of points. What you could try is to reconfigure your GPU client to accept Big WUs (> 10 MB; this is not the same as BigAdv) instead of the normal ones and hope to get a BIG WU project. Sadly, you can't enforce the client to download a big WU and it does download normal ones.

judytuna

Yeah, I am accepting big WUs. How big is a Big WU? All of my WUs have been 50,000 so far.

Think I'm gonna skip bigADV for now. You have 5 clients going.... that's amazing =)

bommel

Quote from: judytuna on January 05, 2011, 01:21:38 AM
Yeah, I am accepting big WUs. How big is a Big WU? All of my WUs have been 50,000 so far.
With BigWUs the actual file size of the WU is meant, not the number of steps. This can be lower than with normal WUs or higher - it depends on the project.

Think I'm gonna skip bigADV for now. You have 5 clients going.... that's amazing =)
Yeah, and expensive in terms of power consumption. I'm currently over 1 KW total. The machine at my parents (dual Xeon 3.0 GHz) consumes around 400-450 Watt on full load and it is currently heating the basement (running for over a week at full load now). The PC I'm currently using has a GTX 470 (only GPU folding) so it will be around 300 Watt for the whole system, too. And also my older 1U rack server, which is running 2 normal clients simultaneously (it is just too old for running the SMP core).

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: bommel on January 05, 2011, 02:01:03 AM
With BigWUs the actual file size of the WU is meant, not the number of steps. This can be lower than with normal WUs or higher - it depends on the project.

Yeah, and expensive in terms of power consumption. I'm currently over 1 KW total. The machine at my parents (dual Xeon 3.0 GHz) consumes around 400-450 Watt on full load and it is currently heating the basement (running for over a week at full load now).

Sounds like you could be trading in the heating bill for the electricity bill ::)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

bommel

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 05, 2011, 02:12:09 AM
Sounds like you could be trading in the heating bill for the electricity bill ::)
indeed ^^
I'm also thinking about a server upgrade but I don't know how to finance it :(

Txantslusam Skxawng

I just checked our team rank and its 19955 of 192944

And how long do we have this group, a week and a half ? Maybe two weeks.... Seems like not a lot of people do this ( a lot )

And in total we have 93 WU's completed ( at this moment when I posted this message :P )

bommel

A week and a half is a good estimation
As I've already said in the other thread, it would be great to see some others using the high performance clients (GPU, SMP) if possible :)

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: bommel on January 06, 2011, 07:23:52 AM
As I've already said in the other thread, it would be great to see some others using the high performance clients (GPU, SMP) if possible :)
I'm using my PS3, so I can't change the settings ( at least not that I know about )

When I get my laptop this summer, I'll try it out on the laptop....

bommel

You can't change it on the PS3 (the GPU won't support it anyway). And today I had my first packet on my PS3 that took longer than the usual 6 hours o0

Eana Tanhì

Quote from: bommel on January 06, 2011, 07:23:52 AM

and how to change it? ::)

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

bommel

You need appropriate hardware to use such client - and you will have to keep your PC running longer (that's why I have some machine running 24/7 which don't do anything else except of folding). Those clients have a significant higher demand on your hardware than the normal uniprocessor client has.

I need information regarding your CPU and graphics card and I could tell you if it would be technically possible on your PC.

Eana Tanhì

Then I think it won't be possible, because I can't run my PC 24/7 because of my parents...

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Eana Tanhì on January 06, 2011, 07:35:26 AM
Then I think it won't be possible, because I can't run my PC 24/7 because of my parents...
Same here.... and even if I let it run 24/7, when the see it still on, they will just turn it off

bommel

Hmm, too bad. Those WUs have rather short deadlines compared to the normal WUs so you can't pause for a few days without losing all your work (at least not if you haven't finished the current WU).

With my old Geforce 8600GT I needed around 6 hours/WU, now I need 2.5 hours/WU with my GTX 470. Maybe if you have a decent graphics card, you could speed it up...

Eana Tanhì

yeah, but if I tell them anything about f@h they will think that it's full of viruses and that someone could get into our computer, so it's better this way, trust me..

bommel

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Eana Tanhì on January 06, 2011, 07:42:48 AM
yeah, but if I tell them anything about f@h they will think that it's full of viruses and that someone could get into our computer, so it's better this way, trust me..
Me parents say the same thing, even when I signed up for the petition to stop the Belo Monte dam at the Xing U river ( idk if I spelled that correctly ).

Edit: I can let my PS3 run now, since I am working on something for my exams :P

Edit 2: I always find someway to get distracted while learning or making stuff for school