Four new elements added to the periodic table

Started by Vawmataw, January 09, 2016, 01:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

http://earthsky.org/earth/four-new-elements-added-to-periodic-table

Four new elements have been added to the Period Table of Elements. Molybdenum Argon Phosphorus Uranium Nitrogen Sulfur!
They have been confirmed on December 30th, 2015 after their discovery between 2004 and 2012.
They are the elements 113, 115, 117 and 118: Ununtrium, Ununpentium, Ununseptium and Ununoctium.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Coolness! They now need new names. :D What about Unobtainium? XD
Curious when we will hear/see elemet 119, start of the 8th period!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

I have had all of them already on my Periodic table... ;)

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 09, 2016, 02:11:39 PM
Yeah, i want *clear throat* Unobtainium!
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Vawmataw

The thing is, all the superheavy elements are radioactive and decay in a tiny fraction of a second.

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 09, 2016, 03:11:24 PM
The thing is, all the superheavy elements are radioactive and decay in a tiny fraction of a second.

I know ;) All those super-heavy was elements predicted but wasn't 'really' discovered until now. :)

archaic

Already happened .....
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Vawmataw

Quote from: archaic on January 09, 2016, 04:28:06 PM

Already happened .....
Well, the scientists have already made some room for new elements in case we find something.

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Rotobull cz

Ah, these...

And I thought their addition to the perioidic table were already confirmed (as I saw them in several of my p. tables)... Interesting...
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 09, 2016, 03:11:24 PM
Perhaps, the sciencists can synthesize atoms with long half-life (-> island of stability). :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Dreamlight

Quote from: archaic on January 09, 2016, 04:28:06 PM

Already happened .....

Still only theoretical, but it's there in theory at least.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The ASG suggests that Unobtanium (Ub?) is element 120, which if discovered, would take the temporary name of Unbinilium (Ubn). It would be an alkaline earth element. The alkali metals and the alkaline earth metals tend to get more reactive the lower in the table they are. However, scientists think that these super heavy left-end-of-the-table elements may be less reactive than predicted by the table. Even So, Unobtanium would be a very reactive substance, and it may be that it is only a room temperature superconductor when it is alloyed with other elements, likely elements from groups 5,6, or 7, several of which are our best low temperature superconductors. This alloying would also make it environmentally stable.

As far as nuclear stability, it is predicted that Ubn would be right at the limit of what current technology could detect for a short half-life element. It is possible that instead, element 119 and 120 could be an 'island of stability'. But maybe there is something required to create it that can only exist in a supernova explosion. And the supernova explosion that seeded the Alpha Centuari system had element 120 and ours didn't.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 11, 2016, 04:30:35 AM
The ASG suggests that Unobtanium (Ub?) is element 120, which if discovered, would take the temporary name of Unbinilium (Ubn). It would be an alkaline earth element. The alkali metals and the alkaline earth metals tend to get more reactive the lower in the table they are. However, scientists think that these super heavy left-end-of-the-table elements may be less reactive than predicted by the table. Even So, Unobtanium would be a very reactive substance, and it may be that it is only a room temperature superconductor when it is alloyed with other elements, likely elements from groups 5,6, or 7, several of which are our best low temperature superconductors. This alloying would also make it environmentally stable.

As far as nuclear stability, it is predicted that Ubn would be right at the limit of what current technology could detect for a short half-life element. It is possible that instead, element 119 and 120 could be an 'island of stability'. But maybe there is something required to create it that can only exist in a supernova explosion. And the supernova explosion that seeded the Alpha Centuari system had element 120 and ours didn't.
This actually makes sense.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on January 11, 2016, 08:43:17 AM

This actually makes sense.

Sran, fì'u!

Vawmataw

And the supernova explosion that seeded the Alpha Centuari system had element 120 and ours didn't.
Unobtanium near α Cen??!!

'Vatar ;D

Toliman

Yes, true  :)

BTW, all elements heavier than iron in the universe were created in supernova explosions.

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 11, 2016, 04:02:53 PM
Unobtanium near α Cen??!!
'Vatar ;D
;D ;D