Look at your hands...

Started by Seze Mune, August 03, 2012, 10:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Normally, a man's hands will have a longer ring finger and a shorter index finger.

A woman's hands are usually the opposite.  Her index finger will be longer than her ring finger.

The relative length of the fingers is due to the amount of testosterone bathing a fetus at a specific point in its development.  I have to wonder about the correlation between personality characteristics and the relative length of the fingers.  If a female has a longer ring finger than her index finger, is she also likely to exhibit more 'masculine' personality characteristics like aggression, confrontation, assertiveness, etc.?   And what about the man whose index finger is longer than his ring finger?  Is he likely to be more passive, more thoughtful, more introspective?  All of this is independent of gender identity, imho.

I have no idea what any of it means.  I just find it interesting.

Eana Unil

Indeed, interesting, but imho this does mean absolutely nothing, similar to the skull measurements done by the Nazis and stuff like that. Yeah, I know, extreme example, but yeah, I hope you know what I mean, hehe.

Quote from: Seze Mune on August 03, 2012, 10:34:58 PM
If a female has a longer ring finger than her index finger, is she also likely to exhibit more 'masculine' personality characteristics like aggression, confrontation, assertiveness, etc.?
*looks at her hands*
Well, I'm female, and my ring finger is shorter than my index finger, but I'm rather "masculine" (I listen to metal, I'm kinda weird and offensive (in a positive, harmless way *coughs* ... :P ), I never was into this extreme girl-ish stuff, liked playing with boy toys when I was young, blabla, but I'm no I'm no "butch" nor "bull dyke"... [no offense]), so, errm, hm, not really. :) Though I like to wear nail polish too much *notices right now... again* :P

Is this hypothesis discounted now? ;D

:-\

Don't know, lol. I think it's interesting to think about stuff like that, but I (for myself) kinda always come to the conclusion, that it's just a antic of nature/pure coincidence/too subjective interpretation/whatsoever ^^

Niri Te

And here comes "Weird Sabrina", AKA Niri Te. I was born visibly intersexed. My right hand has it's ring finger about a millimeter longer than my index finger.  My left hand, has it's index finger about two millimeters longer than it's  ring finger. In case someone is curious, I write and throw a ball left handed, and do EVERYTHING ELSE right handed. TOLD you that I'm WEIRD,
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Lolet

My ring finger is longer than my index finger, but I wouldn't say I have masculine traits. I used to be sort of a tomboy, but now I'm not really that way at all.  :P Although my parents would say I'm too confrontational.  ::)

But that's just an anecdote, anyways, doesn't prove anything.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Niri Te on August 03, 2012, 11:35:16 PM
And here comes "Weird Sabrina", AKA Niri Te. I was born visibly intersexed. My right hand has it's ring finger about a millimeter longer than my index finger.  My left hand, has it's index finger about two millimeters longer than it's  ring finger. In case someone is curious, I write and throw a ball left handed, and do EVERYTHING ELSE right handed. TOLD you that I'm WEIRD,
Niri Te

Hmm.  It sounds like I'm a little bit more like you. BOTH of my ring fingers are visibly longer than my index fingers.  I write with both hands, but prefer my right.  I am otherwise ambidextrous, although I am a right-handed shooter.  I pack on muscle easily, but for a female I'm overdeveloped in the secondary characteristics department. 

If you haven't heard me on TS, I *think* my voice tends toward the low end of the female scale.  Then again, what I hear and what you might hear could be different.

Yeah, none of this proves anything.  It's just interesting to speculate.   ;)

Taronyu Leleioae

Interesting...  My left hand ring finger is maybe 2mm longer than the in left hand.  Maybe 4mm on the right.  I'm right handed, right hand shooter.  Right eye dominant.

Nirì Te / Seze Mune...

I'm curious as to what your eye dominance is?  Easiest test...  Hold your hands far out in front of you.  Make a bent L between your thumb and index finger.  Overlap both hands so that you form a triangle where the rest of your hands block your view.  (Thumbs just start to overlap at bottom.)  Look through triangle at object in distance.  Now close the triangle reducing the view around your object but keep it in view at all times.  At no time should your hands block what I call your primary image.  Now slowly bring your hands back to your face, again keeping the object in view at all times.  (If you try bring the triangle to your other eye, you will experience how the image is blocked...)

What eye do you end up at?

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on August 04, 2012, 09:00:35 AM
Interesting...  My left hand ring finger is maybe 2mm longer than the in left hand.  Maybe 4mm on the right.  I'm right handed, right hand shooter.  Right eye dominant.

Nirì Te / Seze Mune...

I'm curious as to what your eye dominance is?  Easiest test...  Hold your hands far out in front of you.  Make a bent L between your thumb and index finger.  Overlap both hands so that you form a triangle where the rest of your hands block your view.  (Thumbs just start to overlap at bottom.)  Look through triangle at object in distance.  Now close the triangle reducing the view around your object but keep it in view at all times.  At no time should your hands block what I call your primary image.  Now slowly bring your hands back to your face, again keeping the object in view at all times.  (If you try bring the triangle to your other eye, you will experience how the image is blocked...)

What eye do you end up at?

Right.  ;)

Niri Te

I've known the answer to that one since I started shooting at eight years of age, I'm right eye dominant.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Taronyu Leleioae

Hmm...  My curiosity was whether or not either of you might have no eye dominance since you have ambidextrous traits.   ???

Seze Mune

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on August 04, 2012, 05:52:34 PM
Hmm...  My curiosity was whether or not either of you might have no eye dominance since you have ambidextrous traits.   ???

Srane.  Ambidextrous traits, but also a preference.   :)