Moon Colony by 2020

Started by Mako, January 26, 2012, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLibrisMortis

Why not? It's been a while since we as a nation have been able to focus on something technologically great and achievement an amazing feat.

Plus, his plan is to put rewards out there for private companies to do this. Spawn a space race of sort for the moon, but in the private sector.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

You need to have a lot of equipments to stay survived on The Moon.

A lot of oxygen

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

If you get the Government out of the way and let the private sector innovate-- and profit from it-- this dream is achievable. We have most of the technology to do it, and there are some great new (private) launch vehicles being worked on, including a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft (called Skylon) that takes off and lands like an aircraft.

I am also involved with a group that is serious about colonizing the moon. The way things are, I want to take a couple lions with me, and spend the rest of my life there....

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Mako

I must say, if Newt gets elected, my prediction is that the first colonists arrive on the moon by the end of 2013. It has to do with the 2012 Mayan prediction. The 2012 prediction doesn't predict the end of the world, but a change in the course of civilization (namely, the return of one of their gods, but...). The interesting thing is that they have been close to right with each prediction. I have always believed that this might mean the dawn of a new era of space travel, so this excites me. Anyways.

Niwantaw

Only mostly AWOL.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

WHY can't England do something like this?
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Niwantaw

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on January 27, 2012, 12:36:46 PM
WHY can't England do something like this?
Because we're too cheap to build a launch pad of our own. We just build things that go in space.
Only mostly AWOL.

I have to say, england sucks on the space front. i want a moon colony!  :'(

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I'm going to educate me inside of space technology, maybe I can get a trip to the Moon :)

Niwantaw

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on January 27, 2012, 01:25:10 PM
I have to say, england sucks on the space front. i want a moon colony!  :'(

We suck on the getting to space front but we're pretty involved in the stuff that actually is in space (like probes ect)
Only mostly AWOL.

Stranger Come Knocking

Um...okay, so we get to the moon the first time and put a flag there.  Great.  I mean, seriously, we put a man on the moon, that's cool.  Now we get to the moon to colonize it and...do what?  Farm?  Mine?  Send black-hearted prisoners?  Create a second-planet-home for snobby rich people?  Overpopulate another chunk of rock in space?

While a 1967 United Nations document says that no one country can claim sovereignty over the moon, the U.S., Russia, and China failed to sign a more recent U.N. treaty to settle the question of who owns the moon.
WT-?
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

We can take advantage of the gravity and materials there, as well as the unshaded sunlight, to manufacture things. We then use a mass-driver to ship products back to earth. Once it is pretty much self-sustaining, resupply needs will be minimal.

Yawey ngahu!

if there ever is a moon colony made, i am so THERE  ;D ;D

Niri Te

I am too old to ever be allowed to go, and there is nothing there that interests me anyway. Several days a week, I hop in a plane and go fly it, that's about as close as I will ever get.
HERE is a thought, somewhere on the other side of the Milky way, there may be a planet with people that wish that they could leave THEIR boring planet, and come to THIS side of the Galaxy. Imagine how dissapointed THEY would be, if after centuries in cryo, they landed on THIS place!!
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

I dont know, they might have gotten bored of floating mountains and six legged creatures  ;D they might be as exited about a dog as we are about aynantang

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Or, they would take one look at us and mark our planet for demolition to make way for an intergalactic superhighway...  :P

Yawey ngahu!

Human No More

Newt Gingrinch? He probably just wants it to put missiles there, sadly. At least he makes Obama look good in comparison, I guess.
It's good to see people talking about going back to the moon, because humanity really does need to and I'd much rather see the USA there than China, honestly, but something tells me he'd make it into a disaster somehow.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 29, 2012, 11:41:54 PM
Or, they would take one look at us and mark our planet for demolition to make way for an intergalactic superhighway...  :P
hrh ;D
I'll call the Vogons.

If he was elected, I could seriously imagine aliens quarantining Earth, or maybe getting rid of humans to protect the galaxy.

Quote from: Niri Te on January 29, 2012, 06:43:39 AM
HERE is a thought, somewhere on the other side of the Milky way, there may be a planet with people that wish that they could leave THEIR boring planet, and come to THIS side of the Galaxy. Imagine how dissapointed THEY would be, if after centuries in cryo, they landed on THIS place!!
Niri Te
I think they'd be fascinated at all the new species, and even just the novelty of standing on an alien world.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 29, 2012, 11:41:54 PM
Or, they would take one look at us and mark our planet for demolition to make way for an intergalactic superhighway...  :P
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.