Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

NASA has now identified an asteroid threat that possibly will happen 5th of Februrary 2040. The asteroid's name is 2011 AG5 at the size of 140 meter

They say that if it hits land, it will make a lot of damage. It is worse if it hits water, at what they think it will be. It will create big tsunamis that will damage large areas

So they are now finding out how to divert it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2107654/Nasa-identifies-new-asteroid-threat-hit-Earth-2040--UN-begun-discussing-divert-it.html

Seze Mune

Interesting, but not worrisome.  At my level of technical non-expertise, I have to leave this one to the big boys. 

Niri Te

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on February 29, 2012, 07:36:32 PM
NASA has now identified an asteroid threat that possibly will happen 5th of Februrary 2040. The asteroid's name is 2011 AG5 at the size of 140 meter

They say that if it hits land, it will make a lot of damage. It is worse if it hits water, at what they think it will be. It will create big tsunamis that will damage large areas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2107654/Nasa-identifies-new-asteroid-threat-hit-Earth-2040--UN-begun-discussing-divert-it.html

I wonder if NASA is looking at the story line in the "save the Earth from the asteroid" movie Armagedon?
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on February 29, 2012, 07:36:32 PM

Well, diverting it would be super easy for a tiny asteroid like that.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Seze Mune on February 29, 2012, 10:25:56 PM
Interesting, but not worrisome.  At my level of technical non-expertise, I have to leave this one to the big boys. 

This asteroid has 1 of 625 chance of impacting Earth, that will say 0.16%

It is the most Potentially Hazardous Object of all other asteroids

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 01, 2012, 06:32:30 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on February 29, 2012, 10:25:56 PM

I SECOND THAT MOTION!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Niri Te on February 29, 2012, 11:36:02 PM
I wonder if NASA is looking at the story line in the "save the Earth from the asteroid" movie Armagedon?

I want one of them there titanium space shuttles!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

WOW :D

It has been found oxygen on Saturn's moon Dione :)

The atmosphere of Dione is rich of oxygen
But it's not enough habitable, it's atmosphere is 5 trillion less dense than the air of our planet's surface. This was discovered of the Cassini spacecraft

http://www.space.com/14775-saturn-moon-dione-oxygen-atmosphere.html

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 02, 2012, 07:37:32 PM

But it's not enough habitable, it's atmosphere is 5 trillion less dense than the air of our planet's surface. This was discovered of the Cassini spacecraft

Callisto around Jupiter also has oxygen...so does Triton I think. Oxygen is more comman than you'd think :)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 03, 2012, 04:27:49 AM

Callisto around Jupiter also has oxygen...so does Triton I think. Oxygen is more comman than you'd think :)

Right.  I think it's the third most common element in the universe, right behind hydrogen and helium.  And only 20% of our atmosphere is oxygen. Most of it (78%) is nitrogen with the rest primarily argon.   So really we're mostly nitrogen breathers rather than oxygen breathers.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 03, 2012, 07:34:58 AM

Right.  I think it's the third most common element in the universe, right behind hydrogen and helium.  And only 20% of our atmosphere is oxygen. Most of it (78%) is nitrogen with the rest primarily argon.   So really we're mostly nitrogen breathers rather than oxygen breathers.

Water is also a common element in the universe

Seze Mune

True. Water is oxygen and hydrogen.  Here is an elegant link regarding that fact.  As it says in part:

"As hydrogen (from Greek "hudor" - "water") is so plentiful in the Universe, the synthesis of water depends on the supply of oxygen. The quantity of this element, recalculated from Press and Siever (1978) and shown in Table 5 is probably underestimated. Just recently, for example, astronomers have found that oxygen exists in the so-called "cooling flows" - a  heavy rain of gas that is falling into many galaxies from the supposedly empty space around them. The amount of this intergalactic "rainfall" can be anything from one to 1000 solar masses per galaxy each year, which is sufficient to double the mass of the largest galaxy over the lifetime of the Universe.

"Table 5. Abundance of the principal elements in the Universe
expressed as the number of atoms relative to a base of 1000 atoms of oxygen
(recalculated from Press & Siever, 1978)

Element

Atomic number

Atomic weight

Abundance in the Universe

Hydrogen

2 000  000

Helium

150  000

Oxygen

1 000

Neon

Nitrogen

Carbon

Silicon

Magnesium

Iron

Sulphur

"In any case, oxygen is the third most abundant element in the Universe, ranked between the inert gases helium and neon. What is more, oxygen reacts readily with the most abundant hydrogen, creating water, which in turn is one of the most stable chemical molecules. It should not be surprising then if water is found to be one of the most common molecules in this Universe. If, for example comets - which are mostly water ice - form a significant constituent of the "missing mass" which may account for 90% of the Universe, the remote unchartered (albeit mostly frozen) oceans are truly unimaginably big.

"Just how big they are remains largely unclear. Considering the visible Universe, stars are numerous (at 1022 their quantity  exceeds the number of grains of sand on Earth) and in various stages of development. Many of them may posses planets  which seem to be a standard by-product of the star formation. Seas, lakes and rivers are more likely to be found in spiral arms of galaxies: their nuclei are more star-compacted and have much less stable (and hence suitable) conditions for planet formation and development."

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

But a lot of water is not liquid. It's more like steam or in ice/snow like form

Like this planet who has steamy water: http://www.space.com/14634-alien-planet-steamy-waterworld-gj1214b.html

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 03, 2012, 07:34:58 AM

Actually it is hydrogen, helium, lithium. Oxygen is really common too. Most rocks, mind you, are SiO2!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Here is the 'correct' tables of elemental abundances. There is much other useful information in this article as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze Mune

Well alright then!  Very cool.

So the mass-fraction of oxygen makes it the third most abundant chemical in the baryonic universe, which is the only part of the universe we all consciously deal with........although ironically it's only 4.6% of the universe (the rest theoretically being dark energy and dark matter).

Irayo seiyi, ma 'Eylan, I like this information.  :)

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

ASTEROID COLLISION WARNING:

NASA is warning that an asteroid named 2012 DA14 at a size of 60 meter will impact Earth february next year

This is what RT(Russia Today) reporting:

To avert a possible catastrophe – this time set for February 2013 – scientists suggest confronting asteroid 2012 DA14 with either paint or big guns. The stickler is that time has long run out to build a spaceship to carry out the operation.

NASA's data shows the 60-meter asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, will whistle by Earth in 11 months. Its trajectory will bring it within a hair's breadth of our planet, raising fears of a possible collision.
The asteroid, known as DA14, will pass by our planet in February 2013 at a distance of under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is closer than the geosynchronous orbit of some satellites.

There is a possibility the asteroid will collide with Earth, but further calculation is required to estimate the potential threat and work out how to avert possible disaster, NASA expert Dr. David Dunham told students at Russia's University of Electronics and Mathematics.

"The Earth's gravitational field will alter the asteroid's path significantly. Further scrupulous calculation is required to estimate the threat of collision," said Dr. Dunham, as transcribed by Russia's Izvestia. "The asteroid may break into dozens of small pieces, or several large lumps may split from it and burn up in the atmosphere. The type of the asteroid and its mineral structure can be determined by spectral analysis. This will help predict its behavior in the atmosphere and what should be done to prevent the potential threat," said Dr. Dunham.
In the event of a collision, scientists have calculated that the energy released would equate to the destructive power of a thermo-nuclear bomb.

http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/

Seze Mune

What's the point of paint?

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

I can think of two or three things....

A reflective paint might effect it's trajectory. Or dark paint could heat it up from gathering light from the sun (think black shirt on a hot summer day)

The weight could alter it's trajectory.

It could alter the surface making it more smooth, altering it's trajectory.

But mroe than likely, the term 'paint' could be something completely different from the term you and I use on a day to day basis.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates