Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

I bet it is an ablative paint which will explosively evaporate and push the asteroid.

Seriously though, why don't we send something to Apophis and make it crash into the moon on the 2029 pass? It will already pass really close to the moon, and I bet we'd learn LOTS about massive crater formation on the moon if we make a big asteroid crash into it! The crater would be bigger than even Copernicus!
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 05, 2012, 02:53:31 AM
I bet it is an ablative paint which will explosively evaporate and push the asteroid.

Seriously though, why don't we send something to Apophis and make it crash into the moon on the 2029 pass? It will already pass really close to the moon, and I bet we'd learn LOTS about massive crater formation on the moon if we make a big asteroid crash into it! The crater would be bigger than even Copernicus!

I don't know if that will affect Earth, if the Moon reacts a lot on that

Apophis is way bigger than 2012 DA14, Apophis is around 270 meter, and that will create a lot of energy, hope we don't change the trajectory of the Moon. And the Moon will be set on a collision course or it will leave Earth, what about the tide?

Seze Mune

Right.  Mess with the Moon and there could be more repercussions with life on Earth.  Better just to get rid of it, if possible.  If not, brace yourselves.  It's gonna be a bumpy ride...

Vawm tsamsiyu

Shine every lazer in the world at the asteroid at once
they killed the [you] tag

Seze Mune

(Reaching for her pocket laser with a grin.  Yep.  I can do MY part, at least! Ha!  ;) )

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 05, 2012, 02:53:31 AM

The moon is too large to be orbitally effected by this small rock. As it is the moon distances itself from Earth something like 6 inches a year?

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 05, 2012, 06:27:39 AM

I don't know if that will affect Earth, if the Moon reacts a lot on that

Apophis is way bigger than 2012 DA14, Apophis is around 270 meter, and that will create a lot of energy, hope we don't change the trajectory of the Moon. And the Moon will be set on a collision course or it will leave Earth, what about the tide?

Gravity has a way of balancing itself. Unless the moon were thrust at is at some huge velocity, I think it would stabilize.

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 05, 2012, 02:16:54 PM
(Reaching for her pocket laser with a grin.  Yep.  I can do MY part, at least! Ha!  ;) )

Kinda like asking everyone in China to jump at the exact same instance?

As far as getting one asteroid to collide with another or changing the overall trajectory of any one asteroid. What's to say it does not come back, worse, what's to say that the debris created does not rain down on the planet? What is worse, one large hole or hundreds?

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Seze Mune

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 05, 2012, 04:01:31 PM

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 05, 2012, 02:16:54 PM

Kinda like asking everyone in China to jump at the exact same instance?

As far as getting one asteroid to collide with another or changing the overall trajectory of any one asteroid. What's to say it does not come back, worse, what's to say that the debris created does not rain down on the planet? What is worse, one large hole or hundreds?

No to the China suggestion.

And why worry about small debris? We get that every day any way, don't we?  Some of it is space junk we've put there ourselves!  Don't be a lekye'unga nantang!   ;D  ;D  ;D :D  ;)

Irtaviš Ačankif

i did not mean that the Moon would be orbitally affected. Apophis will make a big crater that would be interesting to observe though.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 05, 2012, 09:31:13 PM
i did not mean that the Moon would be orbitally affected. Apophis will make a big crater that would be interesting to observe though.

This would be fascinating to see, yes. To see what and how the surface splits apart, the magma pool formed from the impact heat, then the gradual cool. What debris falls back to the lunar surface and in what pattern and how long all that takes, and ultimately see what happens to the space between us and the moon. No, this truly would be a unique opportunity. But I think it is also a dangerous one.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I have just found a program called Earth Impact Effects Program and there you can see what the effects of an object colliding

I have seen that Apophis will leave a 4.41 km wide crater and 463 meter deep
The rotation period of Earth will not be affected

But if 2012 DA14 collides, a crater will not be formed, it's too small

You can go here and check out this program. And this one can scare you:
http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/

Yes, they do have cannons in protected environments to simulate impacts... like a rock or marble blasting into a tray or can of sand at like 12,000 kilometers a second and stuff.

Quite.... messy lol.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

SOLAR FLARE WARNING:

The sun has unleashed a X5.4 solar storm 7:02 p.m. EST this day, March 7

Solar Radiation are increasing, it is currently now on S3, geomagnetic storms at G2 and radio blackouts at R3

Solar Radiation S3

Biological: radiation hazard avoidance recommended for astronauts on EVA; passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to radiation risk.***

Satellite operations: single-event upsets, noise in imaging systems, and slight reduction of efficiency in solar panel are likely.

Other systems: degraded HF radio propagation through the polar regions and navigation position errors likely.

Geomagnetic Storms G2:

Power systems: high-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms, long-duration storms may cause transformer damage.

Spacecraft operations: corrective actions to orientation may be required by ground control; possible changes in drag affect orbit predictions.

Other systems: HF radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes, and aurora has been seen as low as New York and Idaho (typically 55° geomagnetic lat.)**.

Radio Blackouts R3:

HF Radio: Wide area blackout of HF radio communication, loss of radio contact for about an hour on sunlit side of Earth.

Navigation: Low-frequency navigation signals degraded for about an hour.

http://www.space.com/14811-huge-solar-flares-erupt-sun.html

Niri Te

EYWA IS LETTING US KNOW THAT WE ARE PUSHING HER PATIENCE WITH WHAT WE ARE DOING. WE DON'T WANT HER TO GET OUT THE BELT!!!
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Seze Mune

Hmm.  More crispy pilots due to the elevated solar radiation?

The sun is entering it's 13 year cycle. This is natural. It is a flare on the scale of the one recorded in the 1800's that is what we need to worry about. It effected things as new and simple as telegraph and even when they were unplugged they still operated themselves. 'tick tick beep tick - stop'

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 07, 2012, 02:54:16 PM
The sun is entering it's 13 year cycle. This is natural. It is a flare on the scale of the one recorded in the 1800's that is what we need to worry about. It effected things as new and simple as telegraph and even when they were unplugged they still operated themselves. 'tick tick beep tick - stop'

Yeah I noticed tonight that the radio got effected. the radio signals dissapeared for a moment, then it came back again

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

You know how the moon was created, right? A planet the size of Mars collided with a then still molten hot planet Earth blasting material out into space. Any rock larger than 80 miles in diameter develops a gravity strong enough to then round itself.

Whether we are here or not, this planet will continue to exist all the way till our sun, Sol, goes Red Giant. And that is literally billions of years down the road.

Relax my friend, enjoy the day, eat something tasty. Get fresh air on a walk. We will be fine.  :)

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 12, 2012, 03:42:46 AM
You know how the moon was created, right? A planet the size of Mars collided with a then still molten hot planet Earth blasting material out into space. Any rock larger than 80 miles in diameter develops a gravity strong enough to then round itself.

Whether we are here or not, this planet will continue to exist all the way till our sun, Sol, goes Red Giant. And that is literally billions of years down the road.

Relax my friend, enjoy the day, eat something tasty. Get fresh air on a walk. We will be fine.  :)

There's many theories how the world will end. There's probably hundreds of theories.
I know that Nibiru is fake
But are earthquakes and volcanic eruptions fake? No, I don't think so

Have they never thought about that? Something like that can happen anytime

So the Nibiru theory, I throw that theory right in the trash

Well this whole polar shift thing is a bit of a reach as it supposedly happened (evidence included) about 600K+ years ago and there was no mass extinction then. Sure, it may trigger a bit of plate tectonic activity but there is no sign that islands sank and continents rose from the seas and rivers flowed backwards.

Not in that time scale anyways.