Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Not to mention just what a resilient and beautiful planet we DO live on. Hell, it has survived 'snowball' Earth twice and plate volcanic activity that covered the sub continent of India as well as Siberia.

Life will outlive us all. It won't end.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

We have also evidence for plate tectonic shift

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan last year is a evidence. The whole land of Japan moved over 8 feet(2 meter)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12732335

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 12, 2012, 04:26:46 AM

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan last year is a evidence. The whole land of Japan moved over 8 feet(2 meter)

They all do. It is how our continents move. I personally am sitting in a bullseye. The Juan De Fuca plate. It causes earthquakes and tsunami exactly on the scale of the one in Sumatra on Christmas Day.

I fear and respect it but I do not let it control my life. The best we can do is be educated and prepared for it. It is inevitable. But survivable also.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 12, 2012, 04:32:58 AM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 12, 2012, 04:26:46 AM

They all do. It is how our continents move. I personally am sitting in a bullseye. The Juan De Fuca plate. It causes earthquakes and tsunami exactly on the scale of the one in Sumatra on Christmas Day.

I fear and respect it but I do not let it control my life. The best we can do is be educated and prepared for it. It is inevitable. But survivable also.

You live where the Cascadia subduction zone is?
That's a very dangerous one, I have heard a lot about that one

I don't know if that area is moving out from the mainland, that California will be ripped of the mainland

I read a post at nyimes that this can happen:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/science/09geo.html?_r=1

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/01/08/science/09geo.inline.ready.html

But this will be in a long time, about 250 million years, Los Angeles is located in Alaska

And San Francisco is located somewhere in Mexico

And this will be the creation of Pangea Ultima supercontinent

I imagine by the time California has separated itself from the continental US it will have drifted northward enough and eventually be swallowed again into the states. I live in the state of Oregon above California and Oregon is actually made of of ancient archipelago islands that the continent claimed for itself as it drifted westward. I love this states geology. Really very fascinating.

Yes, I live in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Pretty much in the center of that fault line actually... but it is out to see and I am a good seventy miles inland guarded by the Coastal Mountain Range.

Congratulations on becoming Palulukan Makto, by the way.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 04, 2012, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 04, 2012, 11:31:41 AM
What's the point of paint?

I have no idea
I recently saw a show about asteroids that said if you paint half of it white then the su
Hits it and makes it spin and changes its trajectory
they killed the [you] tag

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on March 12, 2012, 10:59:12 AM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 04, 2012, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on March 04, 2012, 11:31:41 AM
What's the point of paint?

I have no idea
I recently saw a show about asteroids that said if you paint half of it white then the su
Hits it and makes it spin and changes its trajectory

Now I get why they paint it. It has something about reflection, right?

That was one of my assumptions as well. Meaning heat is the factor.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 12, 2012, 05:01:43 AM
I imagine by the time California has separated itself from the continental US it will have drifted northward enough and eventually be swallowed again into the states. I live in the state of Oregon above California and Oregon is actually made of of ancient archipelago islands that the continent claimed for itself as it drifted westward. I love this states geology. Really very fascinating.

Yes, I live in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Pretty much in the center of that fault line actually... but it is out to see and I am a good seventy miles inland guarded by the Coastal Mountain Range.

I dreamt for a long time ago that an Island was moving because the Island was on an own tectonic plate. It was the Norwegian Island Jan Mayen.

I saw in the dream that it was moving toward South Pole down the Atlantic
I woke up right before it crashed into South Pole. the dream stopped when the Island was some place outside South-America

I dreamt also a long time ago that the Atlantic Ocean was hit by a megaearthquake. It was on the fault line between the Eurasian and the North-American, near where the Eurasian, North-American and the African tectonic line meets

It was a 10.2 magnitude earthquake. It has never been recorded such big earthquakes.
That was a very frightened dream. After that dream I was frightened that it was going to happen sometime

Here on this picture, was the location of the earthquake, it is marked with a red mark:

Do not worry. Those are once in millions of years quakes. I think continents would have to either be crashing into one another or ripping apart equally so. No, this too is nothing to worry yourself over, my friend.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 13, 2012, 03:25:07 PM
Do not worry. Those are once in millions of years quakes. I think continents would have to either be crashing into one another or ripping apart equally so. No, this too is nothing to worry yourself over, my friend.

9.5 magnitude earthquake is the biggest one ever recorded, and that happened 52 years ago in Chile, in 1960.
http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/1960-05-27_cataclysm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wkhQBTGkI

But for Europe a 8.5 magnitude is the biggest ever recorded, and that was outside the capital of Portugal, Lisbon.

It happened 257 years ago in 1755

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Lisbon_Earthquake

Yes, the Portugal quake wiped out an invading naval armada

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Wow, great news from European Space Agency :)

planet Mars is changing

Five years of Mars Express gravity mapping data are providing unique insights into what lies beneath the Red Planet's largest volcanoes. The results show that the lava grew denser over time and that the thickness of the planet's rigid outer layers varies across the Tharsis region.

The measurements were made while Mars Express was at altitudes of between 275–330 km above the Tharsis volcanic 'bulge' during the closest points of its eccentric orbit, and were combined with data from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
The Tharsis bulge includes Olympus Mons – the tallest volcano in the Solar System, at 21 km – and the three smaller Tharsis Montes that are evenly spaced in a row.

The region is thought to have been volcanically active until 100-250 million years ago, relatively recent on a geological timescale.

The large mass of the volcanoes caused tiny 'wobbles' in the trajectory of Mars Express as it flew overhead; these were measured from Earth via radio tracking and translated into measurements of density variations below the surface.

QuoteMy comment: I wander If this region is ready to explode. That it will be eruptions. That will be good, because it will heat up Mars, and maybe make it more habitable, or it will do it in another way, an ice age on Mars, and that will be also good, ice=water. And when that melts, it will form oceans on Mars. and it will maybe make some life on Mars. So maybe we humans doesn't need to change Mars. the planet itself will handle the job :)

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM6HJNW91H_index_0.html

Perhaps these caves below the volcanoes could be a place for first colonization. If the rock is solid enough to hold a pressurized atmosphere until a better form of construction was installed for housing and everything else?

Just a thought.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on April 26, 2012, 02:43:26 PM
Perhaps these caves below the volcanoes could be a place for first colonization. If the rock is solid enough to hold a pressurized atmosphere until a better form of construction was installed for housing and everything else?

Just a thought.

If this place explode, the volcanoes will heat up the atmosphere and maybe make weather systems, that it will start to rain, and think about the martian North Pole. It will melt and the water will flow down Mars, maybe down to Valles Marineris. Then this valley will be like a river, and Mars will once again have oceans, as it was said it had oceans before

But living in the caves could be something. I think it is oxygen under the surface of Mars, but below the surface it is some less oxygen

I think Mars will be first target for space colonization

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Super Moon is returning back, on May 5 the Moon coming close as 221,802 miles(356,955 km)

http://www.space.com/15474-supermoon-full-moon-2012.html

Hope I can see it this year, I saw it last year

This year is it later, last year it was in march

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 01, 2012, 08:56:46 AM
Super Moon is returning back, on May 5 the Moon coming close as 221,802 miles(356,955 km)

http://www.space.com/15474-supermoon-full-moon-2012.html

Hope I can see it this year, I saw it last year

This year is it later, last year it was in march

Moon:

Perigee
362,570 km (0.0024 AU)
(356,400–370,400 km)

Apogee
405,410 km (0.0027 AU)
(404,000–406,700 km)

Nah, really 356,955 isn't that impressive. Maybe the size is, like, 5 percent bigger?
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

They seem to make a big deal about little changes in the size of astronomical bodies.

A few years ago, when Mars was at closest approach for thousands of years, they made a big deal about it (and it did look impressive in the sky and in a 'scope). Now, there is a persistent story that comes out every summer, that states that 'Mars will be as big as the moon', that us astronomers have to debunk. This was the result of one spectacularly badly worded NASA press release.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]