Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 01, 2012, 06:20:31 PM
They seem to make a big deal about little changes in the size of astronomical bodies.

A few years ago, when Mars was at closest approach for thousands of years, they made a big deal about it (and it did look impressive in the sky and in a 'scope). Now, there is a persistent story that comes out every summer, that states that 'Mars will be as big as the moon', that us astronomers have to debunk. This was the result of one spectacularly badly worded NASA press release.
hrh yeah that seems to be persistent. It seems like people believe that all astronomical phenomena are annually periodic :)
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on May 01, 2012, 10:18:24 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 01, 2012, 06:20:31 PM
They seem to make a big deal about little changes in the size of astronomical bodies.

A few years ago, when Mars was at closest approach for thousands of years, they made a big deal about it (and it did look impressive in the sky and in a 'scope). Now, there is a persistent story that comes out every summer, that states that 'Mars will be as big as the moon', that us astronomers have to debunk. This was the result of one spectacularly badly worded NASA press release.
hrh yeah that seems to be persistent. It seems like people believe that all astronomical phenomena are annually periodic :)

Naw, it is more placating the idiot masses. If it is on TV it MUST be true, right?

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 01, 2012, 08:56:46 AM
Super Moon is returning back, on May 5 the Moon coming close as 221,802 miles(356,955 km)

http://www.space.com/15474-supermoon-full-moon-2012.html

Hope I can see it this year, I saw it last year

This year is it later, last year it was in march
I agree with you ma tsmukan.  Maybe it is "no big deal", but I still think it's very cool.  Plus, oooh, pretty! :D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Irtaviš Ačankif

I actually pointed my little manually pointed telescope on the balcony through extremely polluted and lit-up Beijing air to look at the moon. It was bigger relative to the scope (around 10 percent) and it made the craters etc a bit easier to see. The 'scope isn't compatible with cameras though...

Despite the immense pollution, I managed to zoom in on Mars enough to glimpse Deimos and Phobos as tiny specks of light. I thought they were from diffaction, but they persisted when I changed the zooming and I confirmed with Stellarium that they were at the positions I observed. It was so cool!
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

I tried to use our backyard telescope years ago. Could not figure out how to do the lenses. Pity. I'd love to see our moon in a different light (other than on pages in a book or on TV) and would also love to see Mars at any level. Phobos and Deimos, I hope do not fall prey to the asteroid mining/farming that some companies hope to try in our future.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

folkz in the North-East Asia and the U.S

Don't forget the solar eclipse on May 20 :)

Geez. It centers virtually over ME on the waning in Oregon. Nice! Typically when we have stellar events like that, or a meteor shower we are getting showers of a wetter fashion as well... In other words, Oregon likes to be in bad weather during these things :P

Sure hope not. I like seeing stuff happen from space.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 05, 2012, 04:21:55 PM
Geez. It centers virtually over ME on the waning in Oregon. Nice! Typically when we have stellar events like that, or a meteor shower we are getting showers of a wetter fashion as well... In other words, Oregon likes to be in bad weather during these things :P

It will be an anullar eclipse, so watch your eyes, use the solar eclipse glasses

Partial begin: 20:56:07 UTC
Total begin: 22:06:17 UTC
Greatest eclipse: 23:53:54 UTC
Total end: 1:39:11 UTC
Partial end: 2:49:21 UTC

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 05, 2012, 06:06:50 PM
Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 05, 2012, 04:21:55 PM

It will be an anullar eclipse, so watch your eyes, use the solar eclipse glasses

Partial begin: 20:56:07 UTC
Total begin: 22:06:17 UTC
Greatest eclipse: 23:53:54 UTC
Total end: 1:39:11 UTC
Partial end: 2:49:21 UTC

Oh I know not to look at em. Thanks for the reminder though for our other aysmuk.

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 05, 2012, 04:09:24 PM
Phobos and Deimos, I hope do not fall prey to the asteroid mining/farming that some companies hope to try in our future.

From Wikipedia.

So lets mine the #¤%$ out of it before it crashes.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Nì'awtua Eyktan on May 07, 2012, 01:55:55 PM
Phobos and Deimos, I hope do not fall prey to the asteroid mining/farming that some companies hope to try in our future.

From Wikipedia.

We have plenty of time to mine it
We're not in a hurry

Why not find a way to force it into the Martian surface? Could boost our ability to start a terraforming project on that planet.

Niri Te

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 07, 2012, 02:26:26 PM
Quote from: Nì'awtua Eyktan on May 07, 2012, 01:55:55 PM

From Wikipedia.

We have plenty of time to mine it
We're not in a hurry

That assumes that we don't manage, as a species, to either strip the planet bare, totally destroy it's atmosphere by the population bomb, or either render it totally lifeless by nuclear war, or unleash some new, incurable designer, killer virus on it in a biological war.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:09:54 PM
Why not find a way to force it into the Martian surface? Could boost our ability to start a terraforming project on that planet.

Yes, it could increase temperature, but then is it the gravity and the atmosphere. The atmosphere is very thin, and it's much more UV radiation than it is here on Earth. the satellites who orbits Earth, there is it 2.4 times more UV radiation than it is on International Space Station

I completely agree with Niri. I am strongly of the opinion that humanity should remain on the planet that they kill. The Earth.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:19:53 PM
I completely agree with Niri. I am strongly of the opinion that humanity should remain on the planet that they kill. The Earth.

So we are gonna destroy ourselves, we're gonna extinct this civilization?

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 07, 2012, 03:22:58 PM

I absolutely think so. We'll end up taking most of this planets life with us. But the Earth has survived extinctions before and life has taken it back several times in the past. This is no different aside from the fact that it is not a natural extinction this time, but one created by a single, destructive, virus of a species.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 07, 2012, 03:22:58 PM

I absolutely think so. We'll end up taking most of this planets life with us. But the Earth has survived extinctions before and life has taken it back several times in the past. This is no different aside from the fact that it is not a natural extinction this time, but one created by a single, destructive, virus of a species.

I see that many are preparing for a World War III, many countries is preparing

Iran, North-Korea,
Pakistan(http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news/editorial/2012/04/26/3830.html)

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/review-of-towards-a-world-war-iii-scenario-the-dangers-of-nuclear-war/article18459.html

I'm pretty sure the next world war will come in the next 10 years

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Seeing Demios and Phobos would be quite a feat, and hats off to you, ma Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng if you did observe them. I have never sen them in 7 years of active observing. Nevertheless, Mars is cool right now, and right near the lion star Regulus  :) I will make a concerted effort to see them next time I have the 'scope out.

The solar eclipse on May 20th is very visible here in Reno, Nevada. If you can be in the area, join us for a group solar eclipse viewing at the University of Nevada MaClean Observatory. It should be a lot of fun! (I am the president of the local astronomy club here in Reno, the Astronomical Society of Nevada.)

Venus is excellent right now, as a small crescent. It is amazingly bright, considering how little of it is actually illuminated. Venus will rapidly 'fall out of the sky' this month is it moves in position to transit the sun on June 5th. This will be a more exceptional event than even the aforementioned eclipse, as it won't happen again for 114 years. This transit will be visible across much of the US, and I think, in the far east.

Saturn, while not at its best, is also a good object to view right now. It is near the star Spica right now.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 07, 2012, 03:33:01 PM
Seeing Demios and Phobos would be quite a feat, and hats off to you, ma Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng if you did observe them. I have never sen them in 7 years of active observing. Nevertheless, Mars is cool right now, and right near the lion star Regulus  :) I will make a concerted effort to see them next time I have the 'scope out.

The solar eclipse on May 20th is very visible here in Reno, Nevada. If you can be in the area, join us for a group solar eclipse viewing at the University of Nevada MaClean Observatory. It should be a lot of fun! (I am the president of the local astronomy club here in Reno, the Astronomical Society of Nevada.)

Venus is excellent right now, as a small crescent. It is amazingly bright, considering how little of it is actually illuminated. Venus will rapidly 'fall out of the sky' this month is it moves in position to transit the sun on June 5th. This will be a more exceptional event than even the aforementioned eclipse, as it won't happen again for 114 years. This transit will be visible across much of the US, and I think, in the far east.

Saturn, while not at its best, is also a good object to view right now. It is near the star Spica right now.

I think Mars is a fascinating . Wonder if there are still active geologics like earthquakes on it. I understand that the vulcanism has ceased.

Do we know what time on the 20th the eclipse is? I wish to observe it too. I know as it wanes over the edge of the planet Earth over the states it takes a path right over Oregon/Nevada.

I have seen Venus late at night. Very bright. For such a bright, peaceful looking planet at this distance. It is a death ball of acidic gases. Too hot to form rain. Pity. Our sister world would have been a likely candidate for the next planet visited.